Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 05-29-2018, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Default Tips/Advice for Houston, TX

Iím taking my family to Houston to visit a friend. I have AZ and FL permits. Iíve read up on 30.06 and 30.07 requirements and also CHL laws. I plan to go to the Childrenís Museum, Downtown Aquarium and Johnson Space Center. I know JSC is a no go. I know about Texas3006.com and Iíve read everything I can on there already. Anyone been to Houston and can give some tips/advice about carrying?
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Bump
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 06-01-2018, 7:22 AM

Seems that you've got your bases covered by reading up on Texas laws. Enjoy your visit to Houston. It's a world class city with a thriving cultural scene and tons of good restaurants.

I've got a funny (in a good way) anecdote about one of my visits to Texas. In 2013 I was driving from Boise City OK to Lawton OK. The most direct route was through the Texas panhandle. At the time OC was legal in OK, but not in TX. I had been OCing on my hike in far western OK, and continued to do so on my drive. I stopped to get gas in a small town in north Texas between Boise City and Amarillo. While I was pumping gas a voice behind me said "Excuse me, sir". I turned around to see a sheriff's deputy. He saw the OK plates on my car and politely informed that while OC was legal in OK, it was not yet legal in TX, and would I mind covering up. Very cool.
Old 06-02-2018, 4:41 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

I've carried their several times over the last few years. Seems like everyone I know there carries (and only about half of them have permits). Sounds like you've done your homework, so enjoy!

And remember: Everyone is not staring at you and no one really cares that you are carry a conceded weapon.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 06-02-2018, 9:01 PM

Like baggss said-so many people carry, it's not a big deal. The only places I don't carry concealed are bars where a prominent 51% Sign is visible, federal facilities, and schools. I've carried at the zoo and pretty much every restaurant that isn't a complete bar.

Concealed means concealed. It really is second nature after a few years. No one is out trying to make you, so enjoy the freedom!
Old 06-02-2018, 9:03 PM

ETA: I do believe I carried at the aquarium last year too. Obviously no issues, and I don't believe they have metal detectors.

ANY large sports even WILL have metal detectors and searches, so don't carry there.
Old 06-17-2018, 9:15 AM

Visited my sister in Houston last year, great city except bad traffic and high humidity, concealed carried using my AZ non-resident and never had any issues. Just pay attention to the 30.06 and 30.07 sign and you be good to go. For the people, they don't really care, everyone was carrying.

Side note: Visited a few gun stores and boy, I wish I moved to free state!
Old 06-17-2018, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just do not go in summer Heat, Humidity , bugs, tourists. Ugh.
Old 06-17-2018, 9:32 AM

You’re on the right track, the Texas3006 app is a pretty reliable resource.

People are examining you for printing much less than you think. After while, it becomes as second nature as a wallet or car keys. That said, concealed means concealed.