Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 08-06-2022, 2:35 PM

Default Dros issues thanks to Turners

Iím having issues with Turners. I Dros a firearm with Turners on 7/13 and picked up my handgun no issues, on that day I also purchased a firearm on consignment and was not able to do the Dros on that consignment firearm until today 8/6. Unfortunately Turners ran the consignment firearm as a new/dealer purchase today and I was flagged by the California Department of Justice.

Iíve received conflicting answers from the employees at Turnerís, one told me that the Dros was just canceled by the state due to the fact that it was actually a PPT and not a new dealer purchase and that I just had to come down and resubmit the paperwork over again. However when I got there the manager actually said my application was denied and I am flagged for trying to purchase multiple dealer handguns in a 30 day period. this is not the case, I was not trying to purchase multiple dealer guns in a 30 day period it was an error on Turnerís. Is there any way that I can confirm for myself when my next dealer Dros will be eligible? I was supposed to Dros a Glock on 8/14 but now I guess I have to wait until 9/6? Any insight from a more reputable and knowledgeable FFL?

Needless to say Turners will not be getting any more of my money.
Old 08-06-2022, 2:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you put location somone can refer you to better ffl.
Old 08-06-2022, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Not an FFL, but I'm guessing the damage is already done, i doubt it can be fixed easily. Basically, your going to have to wait 30 more days to dros it. I would start working on Turners about how they are going to compensate you for their error ie free ammo, etc.
Old 08-06-2022, 2:46 PM
CGSSA Associate

The law working as planned.......

Sorry to hear if you're in SD Guzzler's
Old 08-06-2022, 3:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Turners will probably make you wait 30 days from rejection to restart. I have been very similar situation twice within last year. I just waited for the original 1 in 30 to pass and resubmitted and both times went through no issues. I didnít want 30 days from violation day.
Old 08-06-2022, 6:55 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

If they process it correctly as a PPT, you can go DROS it again today. No need to wait.

You don't get 'flagged' by DOJ in a way that stops you from buying any guns. You cannot buy a handgun from dealer inventory / dealer transfer for 30 days but you *CAN* buy as many PPT/Consignment guns as you want between now and then.

Old 08-07-2022, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
I would start working on Turners about how they are going to compensate you for their error ie free ammo, etc.

Yeah Turners idea of compensation for their mistakes is I didnít have to pay the new Dros fees? So generous huh LolÖ Iím sick of that damn ticket machine and waiting their long hours to have simple paperwork done and for them to still make mistakes. Iím very careful to follow the laws and rules here in California and did not want to have any issues with the department of justice. I honestly would have preferred to just return the consignment firearm and get my money back but the manager at turners decided to tell me about the Dros issues after the PPT was completed properly and I was on my way out. Kinda Shady, knowing now that I couldíve canceled the entire sale and returned the firearm.

It doesnít really matter the exact location Iím not into putting people on blast like that but just know that Iíve had this similar experience with three different Turners locations in Socal, so Iím chalking it up to the corporation as a whole. I canít get down with their Walmart business model. Horrible employee training, meh products, no regard for customersÖ.either way they wonít get my business anymore.

Thank you all for the response, Iím going to wait until 9/6 for my new Dros to be safe.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

The problem is this. You went to Turners and Turners suuuuuuuuucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2022, 6:55 PM

The only reason the DOJ rejected it is because the sales person screwed up and Dros'd it as a new gun. Now your being punished by the DOJ for Turners error and can't buy another NEW handgun or New Semi-automatic centerfire rifle for another 30 days. But as far as I'm aware you can still Dros a consignment gun anytime you want because it should be exempt from the 1 in 30 day limit. They just have to submit the new application as a used gun and the 1 in 30 day exemption should be applicable. Good Luck.
Old 08-07-2022, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Lesson learned OP. Don’t use Turners for any kind of transfer, PPT, FFL transfer- anything other than buying one of their new firearms outright. You are almost always better off going to a smaller independent shop for these types of transfers. Like Jack said earlier, give us your general location, and many of us here will be able to refer you to a better shop.
If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
...I'd have $0.10.
Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.
Old 08-07-2022, 7:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Turners Outdoorsman Corporate Office & Headquarters
11738 San Marino Street, Suite A Rancho Cucamonga CA 91730
Turners Outdoorsman corporate phone number:
(909) 923-3009

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 08-08-2022, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockyCatt View Post
Yeah Turners idea of compensation for their mistakes is I didnít have to pay the new Dros fees? So generous huh LolÖ Iím sick of that damn ticket machine and waiting their long hours to have simple paperwork done and for them to still make mistakes. Iím very careful to follow the laws and rules here in California and did not want to have any issues with the department of justice. I honestly would have preferred to just return the consignment firearm and get my money back but the manager at turners decided to tell me about the Dros issues after the PPT was completed properly and I was on my way out. Kinda Shady, knowing now that I couldíve canceled the entire sale and returned the firearm.

It doesnít really matter the exact location Iím not into putting people on blast like that but just know that Iíve had this similar experience with three different Turners locations in Socal, so Iím chalking it up to the corporation as a whole. I canít get down with their Walmart business model. Horrible employee training, meh products, no regard for customersÖ.either way they wonít get my business anymore.

Thank you all for the response, Iím going to wait until 9/6 for my new Dros to be safe.
If the Turners was in the city of L.A., you would still have to wait 30 days. Even for a PPT.
Old 08-08-2022, 9:45 AM

Lesson learned most definitely, I know my loss of business won’t matter much to a corp like Turners but at least I won’t have this sense of “I should’ve been taken to dinner first”

I’m new to the IE. I travel often from Simi Valley to San Diego and most times I get the opportunity to stop off at shops just to see what they have on consignment. I usually frequent Greta’s, Ammo Bros and Burbank Ammo etc. I’ve always had extremely pleasant experiences with these shops and their employees. Never once have I had issues with my paperwork.

I’m always down to check out new (to me) shops. Please post any y’all have good experiences with.
Old 08-08-2022, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Lesson learned most definitely, I know my loss of business wonít matter much to a corp like Turners but at least I wonít have this sense of ďI shouldíve been taken to dinner firstĒ

Iím new to the IE. I travel often from Simi Valley to San Diego and most times I get the opportunity to stop off at shops just to see what they have on consignment. I usually frequent Gretaís, Ammo Bros and Burbank Ammo etc. Iíve always had extremely pleasant experiences with these shops and their employees. Never once have I had issues with my paperwork.

Iím always down to check out new (to me) shops. Please post any yíall have good experiences with.
Most of the really good FFL's are no longer around, or moved away (EBR).
Old 08-08-2022, 3:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default did you call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Turners Outdoorsman Corporate Office & Headquarters
11738 San Marino Street, Suite A Rancho Cucamonga CA 91730
Turners Outdoorsman corporate phone number:
(909) 923-3009
OP

Did you call corp?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 08-09-2022, 5:13 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Iím sick of that damn ticket machine and waiting their long hours to have simple paperwork done and for them to still make mistakes.
But not so sick of them that you had quit going there and supporting their business model, eh?
Old 08-09-2022, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
But not so sick of them that you had quit going there and supporting their business model, eh?
Uhhh ya probably didn’t read the rest of my rant… my handgun is in jail because they had to re Dros it, meaning Yes! I will have to return to Turner’s at some point to retrieve it.
Will they continue to benefit from my hard earned cash going forward? Absolutely not.

Called corporate left a message. We will see what happens next.

Last edited by GlockyCatt; 08-09-2022 at 2:29 PM..
Old 08-09-2022, 2:54 PM

Default Looks like the manager was correct

From what I can tell, the manager was right and they can't deliver anything to you while you are in the penalty box.

Surprising really. The 1 in 30 doesn't apply to PPT/consignment purchases (like you were actually doing). But because they ran the transaction incorrectly as a second purchase from dealer inventory it flagged you and now you are stuck.

Did you look at your paperwork from the incorrect DROS? Could you have caught their error? Might be something we can all learn from.
Old 08-09-2022, 3:22 PM

This thread is crying for a 03 FFL and a COE. In combination they get you out from under the one in thirty restriction.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by flyer898; 08-09-2022 at 3:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-CV View Post

Did you look at your paperwork from the incorrect DROS? Could you have caught their error? Might be something we can all learn from.

Yes this was my first thought, but I made sure to thoroughly check the paperwork that was given to me because at Turners they make you sign a little stamp thingy, unless I missed something the only information that I verified was my personal information along with the DOJ questions regarding my eligibility. Itís funny because one of their questions is if you've purchased a handgun within the last 30 days to which I answered ďyesĒ

I was not asked to verify the handgun information such as the serial number (as I have in other shops) or the nature of sale.

Not sure if this matters much but to give context, it took three employees to oversee my gun safety check (original employee, random employee and management) because ďnot all of them had the sufficient certifications to do soĒÖ so yeah it definitely could be me and my lack of verification or Turners lack of employee training.

They definitely had no issues charging my debt card lmao they got that right the first time.
Old 08-09-2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer898 View Post
This thread is crying for a 03 FFL and a COE. In combination they get you out from under the one in thirty restriction.
Definitely, I shouldíve started on that months ago, Thank you for the advice!
Old 08-09-2022, 8:42 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Once again: you don't get flagged, you don't go in a penalty box, you can still buy all the PPT and consignment guns you can afford every single day starting right now, so long as the FFL processes the DROS correctly.

A 1/30 reset (what some call a penalty) *never* applies to PPT or consignment guns. No matter what you or someone else goofed up trying to buy a gun from dealer inventory or dealer transfer. It has nothing to do with PPT/consignment

Old 08-10-2022, 5:56 AM

Unfortunately you went to turners,why why why?
Old 08-10-2022, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Once again: you don't get flagged, you don't go in a penalty box, you can still buy all the PPT and consignment guns you can afford every single day starting right now, so long as the FFL processes the DROS correctly.

A 1/30 reset (what some call a penalty) *never* applies to PPT or consignment guns. No matter what you or someone else goofed up trying to buy a gun from dealer inventory or dealer transfer. It has nothing to do with PPT/consignment

Unless it's in the City of L.A. 1/30 applies to all transactions.
Old 08-11-2022, 8:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard View Post
Lesson learned OP. Donít use Turners for any kind of transfer, PPT, FFL transfer- anything other than buying one of their new firearms outright. You are almost always better off going to a smaller independent shop for these types of transfers. Like Jack said earlier, give us your general location, and many of us here will be able to refer you to a better shop.
Only way Turners is good is if you going transfer a large number of firearms. On serval occasions I have brought 5-10 ppt guns at one time. It was very hard to find a FFL to handle the transfer without appointments, extra charges etc. All I had to do was just walk into Turner's get in line and everything was done.