Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-16-2020, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Question would having an AA in math and science help to become a LEO?

So I am applying for LAPD and I wanted to ask if having my AA in math and science would help.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."
***looking to buy in great condition yugo sks***
Old 11-16-2020, 9:03 PM

It wouldn’t hurt.

They’re not always looking into CJ candidates only. I have an Masters in math and have considered Reserves but waiting to settle in my career first.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH Instructor
Old 11-16-2020, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

thank you
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."
Old 11-17-2020, 6:53 AM

Right now with LAPD they are offering an education incentive depending on the amount of credits and/or degree you have. An AA would bring in an extra $190 and a BA/BS degree would bring in an extra $290. That’s Bi-weekly so it will help as of right now. With all the defund rhetoric I’m sure the current incentive will be off the table next fiscal year.
Old 11-17-2020, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Pretty much any degree will work, some help a bit more than others. Honestly I think we will see a bigger priority put on psych and sociology degrees in the near future.
Old 11-17-2020, 8:46 AM

It also may give you a head-start in 1) financial investigations like embezzlement etc and 2) drug or other science related investigations.

Never discount your background and how it can help you develop probable cause in a case you handle.
Old 11-17-2020, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7122 View Post
So I am applying for LAPD and I wanted to ask if having my AA in math and science would help.
I have a BS in Chemistry and minor in math. You’d be shocked how much thats helped me in my LEO career. Became a DRE and am becoming an accident reconstruction expert. Make sure in your interviews to emphasize that your interest in the career is not to sit behind a desk, but use your knowledge to get specialized training to advance your skills in investigations. In my experience thats what gave many people pause about those degrees.

Those pathways are looked at as intellectual pursuits and many will believe you’ll be a sitting desk jockey and not a good beat cop. Make sure you go in looking physically fit, and that experience will go miles and advance you very quickly. The first years on the job are about earning your place by being on the most active teams, learning your city, and being a solid back-up. No body wants to run into a gunfight or physical with a guy who can’t do anything but use his radio, and “write a really good report.” Good luck bro.
Old 11-17-2020, 8:53 AM

Run away fast....don't become a LEO terrible terrible idea. Be a firefighter. Seriously do something else
Old 11-17-2020, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

More education is always better.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:53 AM

Any education helps. When I was in the market, I was encouraged to look elsewhere than CJ/AJ.

I already had my major decided and it was neither anyway.

Behavioral Sciences and Business seem to be the way to go these days.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you so much for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanch03 View Post
Right now with LAPD they are offering an education incentive depending on the amount of credits and/or degree you have. An AA would bring in an extra $190 and a BA/BS degree would bring in an extra $290. That’s Bi-weekly so it will help as of right now. With all the defund rhetoric I’m sure the current incentive will be off the table next fiscal year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p7m8jg View Post
It also may give you a head-start in 1) financial investigations like embezzlement etc and 2) drug or other science related investigations.

Never discount your background and how it can help you develop probable cause in a case you handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg90 View Post
I have a BS in Chemistry and minor in math. You’d be shocked how much thats helped me in my LEO career. Became a DRE and am becoming an accident reconstruction expert. Make sure in your interviews to emphasize that your interest in the career is not to sit behind a desk, but use your knowledge to get specialized training to advance your skills in investigations. In my experience thats what gave many people pause about those degrees.

Those pathways are looked at as intellectual pursuits and many will believe you’ll be a sitting desk jockey and not a good beat cop. Make sure you go in looking physically fit, and that experience will go miles and advance you very quickly. The first years on the job are about earning your place by being on the most active teams, learning your city, and being a solid back-up. No body wants to run into a gunfight or physical with a guy who can’t do anything but use his radio, and “write a really good report.” Good luck bro.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
Old 11-17-2020, 9:17 PM

Agree with more education being beneficial for entry into the field and advancement thereafter.
Old 11-18-2020, 5:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Red face

I hear social work is the new hotness in law enforcement!
Old 11-18-2020, 9:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes any education you can take and earn degrees are always a benefit for you in any career path you take.

You are a corporation of one. Maximize your value by learning and doing.

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
Old 11-18-2020, 9:57 AM

I don't know, if you are that intelligent don't consider a job with the Police.

During 2000 a court case went all the way to the Supreme Court. A man who had an IQ of 125 was rejected as being too smart for the Police Department. The hiring city claimed a very bright person would find Cop work too boring, would leave, wasting the money the City spent on him. And the Supreme Court agreed.

The funny thing is, you can't be too stupid for a job, but you can be too bright.

So, if you are bright enough to get an accounting degree, don't go into Police work. It is unrewarding compared to the private sector, and don't forget the current "Defund the Police" by liberals. They have not changed their minds, they have not gone away, they are going to make Policing more and more impossible, because they blame BLM crime on "white" racism and the "white" power structure. That will be frustrating to say the least, and you might be one of the ones defunded. Or shot by Anti fa and BLM. If you notice, liberals think that is just wonderful.

Why set into that mess?, and be in college debt for a loser career option.
Old 11-18-2020, 4:59 PM

Any degree will benefit you over those that don’t have one. Live your dream.
Old 11-18-2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamfire1 View Post

During 2000 a court case went all the way to the Supreme Court. A man who had an IQ of 125 was rejected as being too smart for the Police Department. The hiring city claimed a very bright person would find Cop work too boring, would leave, wasting the money the City spent on him. And the Supreme Court agreed.

The funny thing is, you can't be too stupid for a job, but you can be too bright.

So, if you are bright enough to get an accounting degree, don't go into Police work. It is unrewarding compared to the private sector, and don't forget the current "Defund the Police" by liberals. They have not changed their minds, they have not gone away, they are going to make Policing more and more impossible, because they blame BLM crime on "white" racism and the "white" power structure. That will be frustrating to say the least, and you might be one of the ones defunded. Or shot by Anti fa and BLM. If you notice, liberals think that is just wonderful.

Loser career option?

Why set into that mess? Because unlike 99% of the population, I, just like the OP, want to fight for what we believe in, rather than capitulate and accept that someone else defend our freedom. If my job is lost, so be it, but until that day, we intend to fight for rights. It is a career to be proud of, and a purpose worth dying for. Maybe 99% won’t regard the sacrifice, but the 1% who do are worth fighting for.
Old 11-18-2020, 8:05 PM

Public speaking and writing classes are a major plus. As an LEO you will be writing a lot and conducting briefing/training.

As for majors, anything works.
Old 11-19-2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamfire1 View Post

Interesting statement. Are you on, or have you ever been, on the job?
Old 11-19-2020, 7:27 PM

Lots of LE agencies (particularly ones in large dem-run cities) are experiencing problems with retention and recruitment due to all of the rioting that's been going on.

If you have a clean record and can pass the fitness requirements, I think you'll get hired. All I'll say is to think about it long and hard before committing to any career decision. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 11-19-2020, 7:44 PM

It's police work, not rocket surgery.
Old 11-20-2020, 7:28 PM

They are looking for commitment not subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2020, 7:33 PM

A real solid STEM degree will help you throughout life. But why stop at an AA, why not a BS/BA?
Old 11-20-2020, 7:41 PM

It will. Hell when I was applying for the CHP, something like 60% of the applicants did not even get past the first stage, the reading and writing tests.

A BA in something would be way better but heck, you will already be way ahead of many of the applicants having some kind of degree even if it is just an AA. From what I hear the LAPD is not that tough to get into as long as you do not have any red flags in your background. Not like when I was trying to get into the CHP. They had 90 spots to fill, 45 set aside for women and minorities for their quotas (yes they even told us these numbers at the physical fitness portion of the process) I believe they had 7,000 people applying for those 90 spots that year. Guys with college got extra points towards their score and anyone with the military also got extra points, lots of college and military guys and at 20 I had none of that.

I have not applied but have been told by buddies that went into the PD and Sheriffs department in Kern County that the PD and Sheriff is much easier to get into. LAPD is a giant police force with lots of officers and I would assume lots of openings all the time.

Go for it, all they can do is say thank you for applying, what do you got to lose? Fill out that application and get the ball rolling. If I was 20 years younger I would.

Here is a tip. Anything you have to fill out that the LAPD is going to see, your application, any tests or paperwork, even if you think it is something not important like a dang nametag. Do everything in your very best handwriting and best grammar. They are big on that, If you have sloppy writing or make spelling errors on anything, they will assume that is how you are going to fill out paperwork and reports. They are big on grammar and being able to read what you write, this stuff is often used in court and a misspelled name or missed check box can mean the difference between a conviction and someone walking. So anything you put a pen to, make it the best you can.

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 11-20-2020 at 7:46 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
A real solid STEM degree will help you throughout life. But why stop at an AA, why not a BS/BA?
He probably wants to get to work now rather than wait another couple of years.

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."
Old 11-21-2020, 5:21 PM

Yes it will help. Any AA would help.

In the hiring process, there are multiple things that help you get on the shorter stack of applicants. Each department may weight them differently depending on their philosophy or needs. The things include: college degrees, military service, language skills and prior employment to name a few.

Later in your career, a degree may cut off 4 years to get your Intermediate Cert and 3 years to your Advanced Cert. It may also be a requirement for promotion or positions.

Any degree can be helpful but it is only a piece of the puzzle. It truly depends on how you market it and the view of the department.
Old 11-21-2020, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Any degree will help a friends kid was taking accounting and the FBI recruited him right out of school.
Old 11-21-2020, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg90 View Post
Loser career option?

He'll look a LOT better in band camp.

He does in MINE.
Old 11-21-2020, 6:24 PM

My department starts you at a higher pay step than someone with no degree and depending on the type (Associates, Bachelors, Masters, etc.) of degree. Plus, you are able to get your POST certificates quicker which get you a pay bump also.
Old 11-22-2020, 7:41 PM

There are different areas of Law Enforcement you can go into doesn't just have to be police. You can get into BOP which is relatively easy to get in, then go to US Marshals, ICE, CBP etc... just a thought
Old 11-23-2020, 7:23 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Any college degree is a sign of staying on task and completing something. I’ve seen a lot of recruiting ads where “a degree is preferable” but no mention of preferred majors.

LE recruiting is also feast or famine. At times, no one is hiring. Currently, it seems like everyone is hiring. But it probably has less to do with the economy and more to do with the current hostile climate toward the profession.

A person has always needed thick skin to work in LE, but nowadays it is especially challenging.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Math and Science- Thats LAFD, seriously.

http://lafd.org/join/careers
Old 11-24-2020, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I want still plan on getting my BA but I want to start my career now, and do both.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
Old 11-24-2020, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you all for your input.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
Old 11-26-2020, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Well if you dont mind me asking, how old are you?
I can put my .02 from several perspectives here, as I was a college student like yourself.

But to answer your question, NO it would not hurt at all to apply with them having a degree in stem. You have to understand, the main thing big departments such as LAPD is looking for is a good conduct of character, meaning you dont have too many speeding tickets, duis, detainment by cops, etc on your record. Basically a clean background so that you can pass through their hiring process because one day you will get subpoenaed to court. If you cant stand in court, youre useless to the department.

With that said, LAPD is a pretty easy agency to get into without having any prior military/LE experience. Matter of fact, majority of their cops aren't prior LE or military.