Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 04-15-2019, 4:46 AM

Default Spending a mint$$

Okay so a couple months ago I decided that I wanted (needed) to take a little camping trip. My job is pretty high stress and I can't think of a better way to clear my head. As started to inventory what I have I quickly realized there was no way I was going to be able to hike and camp with what had so I just went crazy and bought everything I needed and got a legitimate sources for camping gear like this one-https://getcampingwild.com/ I'm now broke but hey I'm going camping next weekend.

Last edited by Prada; 04-19-2019 at 10:04 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 4:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So whatcha get?
Old 04-15-2019, 7:46 AM

The gear you bought should last for years if care is applied. Don't drive yourself insane worrying about the cost of one trip....assume it is spreading over 15 or 20 trips....that is reasonable if not conservative. I've got some camping gear I have been using for over 40 years.

Have fun and post some pics when you get back and make us all jealous.
Old 04-16-2019, 1:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prada View Post
Okay so a couple months ago I decided that I wanted (needed) to take a little camping trip. My job is pretty high stress and I can't think of a better way to clear my head. As started to inventory what I have I quickly realized there was no way I was going to be able to hike and camp with what had so I just went crazy and bought everything I needed, I'm now broke but hey I'm going camping next weekend.
Same here, I use the outdoors to de-stress. Buy once cry once, the gear these days just make it so much better. I want good boots and damn the cost! The weight savings also allow me to carry more beer!

Where ya going camping?
Old 04-16-2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
The gear you bought should last for years if care is applied. Don't drive yourself insane worrying about the cost of one trip....assume it is spreading over 15 or 20 trips....that is reasonable if not conservative. I've got some camping gear I have been using for over 40 years.

Have fun and post some pics when you get back and make us all jealous.
^^This!

I hadn't been camping in a long while. Last backpacking trip was in my early 20's before we had my first kid. Went camping once a couple years after that. Hunting was done with my brother & his trailer... so no real camping equipment needed for that.

Fast forward to 3 years ago & my oldest wanted to go tent camping (Wife won't tent camp... so we bought an RV. LOL). Rain fly for the tent was missing. Checked all the seams... they all leaked. Sleeping bag was too small (for me... gained a bit of weight over the 12yr lapse), and had nothing for her. Amazon, Craigslist, & local army surplus store got a lot of money from me. Allowed me to grab some items I've wanted for a while (late 60's 3 & 2-burner Coleman Stoves & Lantern, good ice chest, good tent, etc). She & I have gone for a week every year together. Haven't had to buy any equipment since. All I buy before the trip is food & fuel. Make sure I have fresh batteries in the flashlights, headlamps, & lanterns. Easy-peasy!

Nothing clears your head better than getting outdoors. We plan trips in the RV every couple of months. I do the 1 week trip with my daughter every summer. & I try to get out for a week every year with my brother for deer season. I'd go crazy if I didn't.
Old 04-16-2019, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Where ever you go plan it around lack of cell service. Nothing works better for getting you out of your routine than not being able to check in.
Old 04-16-2019, 9:21 PM

About to go to zion in a few more weeks.. I always like knowing I have good gear that isn't going to break on me..

I dont' mind going cheap/inexpensive but sometimes the savings isn't worth it. I had a 20 year old tent break/rip in half during a trip out at Joshua Tree.. It was the last day but things like that can ruin your whole trip..

I look at money and time as commodities.. For me, it's much easier to make money than it is to make time.. If I'm going to travel somewhere I'd hate to lose that time due to issues with gear..
Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, it's bought, so great. BUT

My family of four, we go camping on the cheap. Every year we buy ONE thing we need. So we will be fancy outfitted like you, but maybe in a few more years.

for those who don;t have the cash, it can be done!

First trip, you are on foam mats in your tent and eating hot dogs cooked on the fire

Next trip, you've got nice sleeping mats but still eating on paper plates

Next trip, you have your propane stove

etc etc etc

This year I just built my chuck box. It is 18x24x40, has wheels, and is filled with awesome.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Check out Major Surplus in Gardena, I'm on their email list and a couple times a week they send a email flyer with the weeks specials. Some pretty good deals on tents, jackets, sleeping bags, etc for car camping.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:10 AM

Don't go cheap on stuff where the tech hasn't changed in years. I'm still using stoves and lanterns and camp furniture that I bought 25 years ago. LED lights? That's a different story.
Old 04-17-2019, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Osier View Post
So whatcha get?

Bought his own Motel 6 for the journey, apparently.
Old 04-18-2019, 5:25 PM

I've been married for nearly ten years and haven't used my gear much either. Just a couple of trips back east with friends, so I didn't bring much gear. Then I went on a kayak trip in Glacier Bay National Park and did the same thing as you. My wife was not happy, but I explained that it's literally life and death. Haha. Good thing is I have a bunch of great gear and have used it several times since already. The kids are getting bigger and we'll be going more now too.

The site has changed a lot, but I was able to find a lot of gear on sites like Sierra Trading Post for large discounts. Usually last years models, but still the good stuff nonetheless. I looked on there the other day though and they got bought out and their selection stinks now. I'm sure there are other site though, just gotta search.

My wife doesn't like tent camping though (bears, lol), so we're looking at RV's now. Ugh. I might be able to talk her into a rooftop tent though.

OP, where are you going camping?

I owe FP something.