Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2018, 3:36 AM

Non-Biblical teaching or acceptance of sin.
Old 10-14-2018, 8:08 AM
Banned

When they change "God added daily to the church those who would be saved" to "marketing firms would add daily those who would attend" (Acts 2:47)

When they purge older, experienced staff members for younger volunteers

When they neglect the weighter things of God in exchange for a constant preaching on "Jesus loves you"
Old 10-18-2018, 10:10 AM

As a Heathen, I can say the incorporation of religious elements utterly alien to the faith of the Aesir/Vanir, from what historical/archaeological sources that have survived, is a deal breaker. And generally anything hipster or "Social Justice Warrior".

I remember being invited to attend non-denominational Christian church services recently. I was struck by the level of "hipster" that I saw. The musicians looked like boy band rejects, their songs were trite and weak, and there were ironic haircuts and bad 20-something moustaches. Comparatively I remember attending Greek Orthodox Easter services as part of a religious history class I was taking, another lifetime ago while still in university. The contrast was rather stark. There was an intense sense of majesty to the entire religious experience.

As far as Christianity in America...well, I can imagine the professional flock fleecers and charlatans don't help things much. But they make for epic memes.

“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 10-19-2018, 11:31 AM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Using stupid gimmicks like playing secular music videos, movie clips, and LeBron James commercials in sermons.

God's word can do just fine on its own without stupid juvenile theatrics.
Old 10-28-2018, 5:04 PM

Too much contemporary music.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

When they start charging for donuts.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM
In Memoriam

I left the church but not my faith. Too many denominational do's and don'ts that were not biblical.
Old 12-26-2018, 1:45 PM

Cannon,

Did you find another church?
Old 12-26-2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
I left the church but not my faith. Too many denominational do's and don'ts that were not biblical.
I'd suggest you find a local church with solid biblical teaching and a godly elder board. Don't stay away from the church - participation is both beneficial and commanded. Remember - we're all sinners and that doesn't go away by being part of a church.

Denominations are an unfortunate creation of man, not part of the New Testament. The NT teaches a simple structure of local churches with elder boards (1 Timothy 3, Titus 1) with the head of the church really being Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:22-23).

I have never been part of a perfect church. The first and foremost reason is because I was part of that church! And, by the way, all the rest were sinners saved by grace too. When you find a church whose first love is Jesus Christ (Revelation 2:4) and is focused on learning Him (Ephesians 2:20) and knowing Him(Philippians 3:8-14), then you'll find that they have a a godly elder board committed to teaching and following Christ alone in the Bible alone - all to know Him and be like Him. Rules don't drive behavior but rather our response to what God has done for us in Christ. Yes, sin is dealt with when necessary (Matthew 18:15-21) but most often love covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8).

These kinds of churches are usually less than 100 members that will love you as they love the Lord!

"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther
Old 12-26-2018, 1:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If they allowed any scientologist on property and we did not get a chance to chastise them severely.
Old 12-26-2018, 2:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm a former Catholic (if that's possible) who currently and has for the last 18 years attended a United Methodist Church. During this time it has been a solid straight ahead church with traditional Christian values and teachings and lots of family participation. Members have always been there for one another to help in any ways needed.

A couple of years ago, they decided to become a 'welcoming' church, and actively promoted LGBT attendance and participation. Rainbow colors began to show up including on the minister. A regular LGBT meeting was advertised in the weekly bulletin.

The first thing that happened was the loss of membership by more than a few families with school age children, and generally attendance has decreased. I should also note that the current minister is a hardcore leftist whose weekly message is not so much biblical as one of 'social justice'. And she has a very annoying style of speaking. It's that high squeaky pitch followed by the 'vocal fry' thing.

My wife has been a member of this church for 30+ years, so it's unlikely she'll leave, but I would if not for that.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 12-26-2018, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
If they allowed any scientologist on property and we did not get a chance to chastise them severely.

That’s the Christian Spirit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-27-2018, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I have pretty much left the religion that I grew up in. Once I discovered that most, if not all, of their beliefs were not Biblically supported.
I will add a bit to what I already posted. I grew up Seventh Day Adventist. For those who don't know, SDAs have an extra Biblical writer, Ellen G White, who they base many of their beliefs on. Many/Most in the church consider her a "prophet". I went to their schools from grade one through grade 12, and then 2 years of college.
I quit going to one church after being told that I needed both the Bible and Ellen G White to be saved.
I quit going to another church after being told I was wrong when I quoted the Bible, because Ellen G White said differently.
I decided that I had no use for a church that taught that way.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I will add a bit to what I already posted. I grew up Seventh Day Adventist. For those who don't know, SDAs have an extra Biblical writer, Ellen G White, who they base many of their beliefs on. Many/Most in the church consider her a "prophet". I went to their schools from grade one through grade 12, and then 2 years of college.
I quit going to one church after being told that I needed both the Bible and Ellen G White to be saved.
I quit going to another church after being told I was wrong when I quoted the Bible, because Ellen G White said differently.
I decided that I had no use for a church that taught that way.
So, it seems that you grew up in the SDA environment because of your upbringing.
Then later in life as you matured and started analyzing what you were taught and experienced, you came to your own view on your beliefs.
If you do not mind, where are you at now?
Still with SDA but at another church, or did you give up SDA and are still on the hunt for a congregation that you will be happy with?
Thanks
Old 12-29-2018, 4:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Still with SDA but at another church, or did you give up SDA and are still on the hunt for a congregation that you will be happy with?
Thanks
I have not "officially" withdrawn my membership, and no longer go to church. I am sort of in limbo now.
It's been said, and I can believe it, that it is often easier for an exSDA top simply not go to church, than to go on Sunday. A day that is pounded into our heads that is wrong. The whole Mark of the Beast thing being Sunday Keeping.
Years ago, when I was still working and before I learned a lot of this stuff that has turned me off to being an SDA, a Baptist coworker invited me to his church. I literally felt like lightening was going to strike me dead for being in a church on Sunday. Both times I went.
A couple of my exSDA friends have suggested a Messianic Synagogue, but I have an online friend who goes to one. After reading some of the things she has posted I'm not sure I want to exchange one group of people who live by the "rules"(or think they do) for another.
Plus, too much of Adventism is based on an "us vs them" philosophy.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 12-29-2018 at 9:35 AM..
Old 12-29-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
After reading some of the things she has posted I'm not sure I want to exchange one group of people who live by the "rules"(or think they do) for another.
Plus, too much of Adventism is based on an "us vs them" philosophy.
Yes, I understand that.
Being raised a Catholic we were told not to go to other religious services.
In my view there seems to be a built in prejudice with many organized religions.
For example, the Catholic (or other) says "Oh look at Joe!, he's such a great guy!...(and in a lowered voice says) but, you know he is Mormon (or other) don't you?"
Stuff like that. It is sad and misses the whole point that we are all Children of God and worship Him in different ways, from our hearts.

For me, I do not attend Church anymore (except for weddings, funerals, etc.).
It is not for me because of several reasons.
I have a relationship with God that is very satisfying to me without all of the nonsense going on in some of the organized religions. This is a daily thing I have with God.
Thanks for the reply and I wish you well and hope that you find a place that is comfortable for you.
Old 01-09-2019, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbear View Post
Non-Biblical teaching or acceptance of sin.
That's my answer.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 01-09-2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
I have pretty much left the religion that I grew up in. Once I discovered that most, if not all, of their beliefs were not Biblically supported.
What religion? Just curious.
Old 01-10-2019, 3:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFLERACK31 View Post
What religion? Just curious.
I was raised Seventh Day Adventist
Old 01-10-2019, 5:15 PM

Default I left my church

The question that was posted was a good one so I thought I would reply. I left the church about 5 years ago and I don't feel any different afterwards. My wife and I were members of the church for about 10 years and after our marrage ended I remained in the church and after doing some soul searching I descided to leave. It was nothing to do with the church or my ex wife but how modern day christans put forth their views of faith. When a person claims to be a Christian nowdays I feel that many times this is a blanket and hollow unsupported claim because their actions frequently do not support the words they are speaking. The church does not police up its own ranks and because of that people are caretakers of the choices they make to either honor their church and faith or ruin its reputation within the community as a whole. Being a Christian means to be Christ like in thoughts and actions and deeds. I did not see to much continuity within the church members and many of them I did not want to know. To add insult to injury my ex wife and her family claimed to be Christians but she left me and took off with a guy from her work who was also a Christian. Last time I checked having sex with another man's wife is not too much of chrstain like value supported by the church. I left the church because of the lack of goodness and faith and Christ like values in the people around me. I speak with god everyday and I endure my life as a service to others with as much grace and dignity as I can muster. I figure when my judgement day comes if my choice to leave the church but remain faithful to God was wrong I will let him them me at that point. As a side note my ex wife called me up and told me it was a mistake that she left and wanted to come back home. I told her that it was important for me as a Christian man to honor the wishes of my wife and that we should respect the choice she made to leave. I served her with papers and have never seen or heard from her since.
Old 01-10-2019, 5:20 PM

I dont go to church , I'm muslim ....Dont get mad , I dont go to mosque too. I'm not religious at all.
Love you all.
Old 01-10-2019, 5:28 PM

If you can read the Bible you don't need to go to church. Now it's mainly a way to socialize and give money to build a bigger church. Go back to the roots and preach on the streets for tips, nothing in the Bible says you need to go to church
Old 01-10-2019, 5:43 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brey6290 View Post
If you can read the Bible you don't need to go to church. Now it's mainly a way to socialize and give money to build a bigger church. Go back to the roots and preach on the streets for tips, nothing in the Bible says you need to go to church

“Do not forsake our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:25

If you can read the Bible then you know the importance of coming together for worship. The church is the body of believers (Romans 12:5, 1 Corinthians 10:12, 12:27 Ephesians 4:12 etc etc.) The Bible explicitly tells us we must gather with believers and worship. We are commanded to go to church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mark 16:16
Old 01-10-2019, 5:53 PM

I left my Baptist church in North Carolina after the pastor started telling me how I should act when my mother was dying from cancer. I was a young child and it was the first time I knew the guy was full of it. Faith heals the soul, but medicine heals the body. A couple of years later, he packed up and left for a larger congregation in Texas, without any notification.

Nowadays, I swing by for service every once in a while. But I wouldn’t go to this one...https://www.foxnews.com/us/evangelis...-riding-donkey
Old 01-10-2019, 6:04 PM

As I read some of these responses it makes me sad that so many where turned off from GOD because of false teaching and watered down doctrine and misinterpreted scriptures. All I can say man failed you not GOD seek him alone 1 on 1 and he will make him self more real than you can ever imagine.

The verse that GOD put on my heart when he left the 99 for me is Jeremiah 29:11-14.
Old 01-11-2019, 5:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyordeath View Post
As I read some of these responses it makes me sad that so many where turned off from GOD because of false teaching and watered down doctrine and misinterpreted scriptures. All I can say man failed you not GOD seek him alone 1 on 1 and he will make him self more real than you can ever imagine.

The verse that GOD put on my heart when he left the 99 for me is Jeremiah 29:11-14.
For some of us( speaking for myself and not for others) while we may have left out church, we have not "left" God.
Old 01-11-2019, 5:25 AM
Calguns Addict

If it turned Protestant?
Old 01-11-2019, 6:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
“Do not forsake our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:25

If you can read the Bible then you know the importance of coming together for worship. The church is the body of believers (Romans 12:5, 1 Corinthians 10:12, 12:27 Ephesians 4:12 etc etc.) The Bible explicitly tells us we must gather with believers and worship. We are commanded to go to church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QFT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-11-2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
For some of us( speaking for myself and not for others) while we may have left out church, we have not "left" God.
Amen for GOD is not confined by walls built by man. Lots of times I hear powerful messages from random people on YouTube.
Old 01-14-2019, 9:17 AM

I appreciate the thoughts people have shared in this thread. Mostly, I appreciate those who have found unorthodox ways of keeping their faith alive, albeit in a changed form, rather than allowing fundamentalist, all-or-nothing approaches to drive them insane. I get the feeling that there are far more people who quietly do this than those who are vocal about their orthodoxy. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2019, 8:06 AM

Quote:
For some of us( speaking for myself and not for others) while we may have left our church, we have not "left" God.
^ this.

We exited a genuinely toxic Calvary Chapel and spent the next year or so watching Dudley Rutherford on TV. Eventually we got plugged into the place we are now. Getting great teaching and even some great new friends. Not what we expected -- but what we needed.

Don't give up; God hasn't left you either.
Old 01-26-2019, 7:44 AM

All churches and religion were created by man (yes Catholics too) therefore have faults. I have been to many different Christian denominations and try to find the best without man made rules. There is and never will be a perfect church. But there will always be a perfect church for you. Find a house of worship that fits you best and Praise Jesus!
Old 01-26-2019, 9:42 AM

Too numerous to mention lol but that does not mean I'd leave God or Christ
Old 01-28-2019, 5:47 PM

Apostasy
Old 01-28-2019, 5:49 PM
In Memoriam

BringIng Politics into the church. I have found many Bay Area Catholic churches to be leftist echo chambers.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 01-28-2019, 5:51 PM

Which political issue lol? Some may be biblical
Old 02-17-2019, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyordeath View Post
...All I can say man failed you not GOD seek him alone 1 on 1 and he will make him self more real than you can ever imagine.
this!
Old 02-17-2019, 7:58 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
Which political issue lol? Some may be biblical
Politics like Obama will save us, Or orange man bad, type of things. What turned me of is Catholics blindly follow Democrats, when Dems are against everything the Catholic church stands for. For instance how can the church be supportive of the Dems who belive in Abortion and Atheism?

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXAQUANINJA View Post
Last time I checked having sex with another man's wife is not too much of chrstain like value supported by the church.
In my faith that is a straight up blood insult and challenge. In the OT of the Bible, it was as well. Well, actually in pretty much most pre-20th century cultures and religions.

A shame it still isn't that way. More iron, less soy.
“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 04-08-2019, 2:57 PM

I left my church for one reason. Money. The first few years were great! About 4 months before I left it became a money drive. You have to donate more $, God would want you to give more money ect. I have been on the search for a smaller church setting, but just not having any luck lately.
There's danger lurking around every corner, that's why I propose we make all of our buildings round.