Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:25 AM

Default 20 MOA Base for Bergara B14 HMR 6.5 Creedmoor ?

I just purchased my rifle I had been obsessing over the last couple of months, the Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I also purchased the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50mm, and I am on the hunt for a base and rings with which to mount it. I would have gone with the Razor HD Gen II (the 4.5-27x56mm), but was a hair out of my budget. I also wanted to have money left over for a bipod, muzzle brake, and extra mags.

The fine gentleman who assisted me with the optics purchased mentioned Leupold making a 20 MOA base specifically for the B14 (?), but I cannot seem to find it. I was under the impression that the Bergara b14 used a tweaked Rem 700 action, and therefore could use rails made for the 700. I see that Leupold makes a 20 MOA base for the Remington 700 called the "Mark 4", but that also has options for short action or long action (6.5 CM is short action), but THEN also has yet another option for BDL and ADL? Am I nuking this?

I am looking for a durable ring and base combo to mount this scope to my rifle. The shop didn't seem to have much on hand at all, would have to have been ordered. It's surprising, because they seem to sell a lot of Tikka, Bergara and Remington, maybe that's why they were low stock-- high demand. I am glad they had one of the scopes I wanted in stock though. Any recommendations. I had planned to spend about $150 ~ $200 for base and rings.

P.S. any recommendations for bipods? I am also looking for the ST1 muzzle brake-- can't seem to find it online and Bergara's online shop appears to be dead?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Cant help with the base but i can suggest the area 419 hellfire self timing brake. It has made a huge difference on my howa 6.5. And brownells carries it. Can get it for under 140 shipped
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 07-14-2019, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

The difference between the ADL/BDL models and the Mark 4 models is that the Mark 4 is made to a higher quality and are more durable. Fit will be the same across the board. Since your rifle can fit any rings and base that will work with a Remington 700, you have a fairly extensive number of options. Pick your poison. Just a matter of your budget and what level of quality you desire. The Leupold Mark 4 line is a good choice. Other brands you can look at in no particular order (and this is not an exhaustive list):

- Badger Ordnance
- Area 419
- Talley
- Vortex
- Seekins
- Nightforce

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Life membership now 1/2 off. Ends 8/2/19

Last edited by Mute; 07-14-2019 at 7:40 PM..
Old 07-14-2019, 8:08 PM

Thanks, Don! I was looking at that one and the ST1. Some people have recommended the VG6 Gamma, but I like that both the ST1 and the Hellfire are self-timing, making them easy (ier) to install.

Also, thank you Mute! I am actually on Grab - A - Gun right now, was going to get the Seekins 20 MOA Rem 700 w/ #6-40 screws (since I have the b14 HMR, not the Premier/Pro HMR), and the .87" height 30MM rings (Also Seekins, since they have 4 screws per ring vice just two). I think the .87" rings will be tall enough, if I am doing my math right. the action of the Bergara is the same dimensions overall of the 700 action, right?

I also have a couple extra mags (3 bergara 5RDs and 2 Magpul AICS 10RDs), and a Harris 6-9" swivel bipod in my cart, gonna pull the trigger tonight, since they offered me a deal on the "get a quote" thing for the extra mags.
Old 07-14-2019, 8:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm using the Seekins 20MOA on a Bergara B14 BMP (Chambered in 6.5 Creed) and it seems to be working out.

I posted my build details/parts/pictures on my Bergara thread at https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...hlight=B14+BMP

I have the Hellfire 142 Break on mine.
Old 07-14-2019, 8:52 PM

anelson, thank you!

I just placed my order and switched my ring height to .97" to give myself some extra clearance. I *think* I only needed .855" but, the extra 10th of an inch can only help, right?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The shorter it is without the bell hitting the better. Looking at mine, I think I *might* be able to go one step lower but haven't measured yet.

You can find the dimensions for the scope you're getting and gauge ring height off that typically.

P.S - I also was frustrated by Bergara's online shop being out of stock of standard items like Mags.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:13 PM

The Bergara branded Mags are only $24 at GrabAGun right now. That's why I picked up so many.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperInExcretiaSumus View Post
The Bergara branded Mags are only $24 at GrabAGun right now. That's why I picked up so many.
Interesting..that's a great deal. Going to buy some.

https://grabagun.com/bergara-ba0002-...-a1cs-5rd.html
Old 07-15-2019, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't worry too much about the ring heights. As long as you can adjust your cheek piece to fit properly, even if the rings are a bit taller, you'll be ok. Regarding brakes, the Hellfire is an excellent choice. I've been testing one on a 6.5 CM and it works wonderfully. The self-timing feature makes life so much easier. I'm never going back to using jam or crush washers again.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Life membership now 1/2 off. Ends 8/2/19
Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 AM

I have heard a lot about the Hellfire, looks like it's a good option.

Does anyone have any experience with the ST1 from Bergara?
Old 07-15-2019, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have heard a lot about the Hellfire, looks like it's a good option.

Does anyone have any experience with the ST1 from Bergara?
I haven't tried it, but i'm looking for another brake to try and compare with the Hellfire brake I have. I like the way the Precision Armament M11 Brake looks and it has good reviews for 6.5 CM, but I don't want to deal with a non self-timing brake (Crush washers/shims). I'll probably end up trying the other Area 419 brake (Sidewinder, since Hellfire 2P is for Semi-Auto) and see which one fits the application best for the B14 BMP 6.5 I have.

Bergara ST1 From my observations:

GOOD:

- I like how it has a flat surface for the bubble level.
- It's from Bergara so it's probably pretty good.

BAD:

- I don't like how it has a special wrench. The Hellfire knurled grip seems extremely adequate and makes it easy to tighten by hand and it works perfectly w/o special tools.

- I can't find any reviews on the ST1 at all
Old 07-16-2019, 8:10 AM

Yeah, I've seen only one youtube review of the ST1, and it was positive, but it was also probably sponsored content.

I would imagine that you still want a torque wrench to ensure that you are tightening everything to spec? Vice just by hand.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen only one youtube review of the ST1, and it was positive, but it was also probably sponsored content.

I would imagine that you still want a torque wrench to ensure that you are tightening everything to spec? Vice just by hand.
With Area 419, you hold the barrel by hand (no vice needed) and put 18 or 20 ft pounds of torque (I forgot which, i don't have the instructions in front of me) on the adapter threaded onto the barrel. Really easy. Use blue loctite.

After that you thread on the brake, until snug and in the correct orientation, then you left hand thread the knurled knob until tight as you can by hand..then it's done.

Their instructions state you MIGHT have to re-tighten by hand after an initial 10-20 rounds, but i didn't even have to do that..it's still tight.

It's easy to take off / re-attach like that. I like their quick attach system.

I'm hoping the sidewinder is the same quick attach adapter but i'm not sure yet. Just going to buy a full set and check it out. Worst case i'll have another quick adapter to put on the next rifle so i can move around the brakes if needed.
Old 07-16-2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson View Post
I haven't tried it, but i'm looking for another brake to try and compare with the Hellfire brake I have. I like the way the Precision Armament M11 Brake looks and it has good reviews for 6.5 CM, but I don't want to deal with a non self-timing brake (Crush washers/shims). I'll probably end up trying the other Area 419 brake (Sidewinder, since Hellfire 2P is for Semi-Auto) and see which one fits the application best for the B14 BMP 6.5 I have.

Bergara ST1 From my observations:

GOOD:

- I like how it has a flat surface for the bubble level.
- It's from Bergara so it's probably pretty good.

BAD:

- I don't like how it has a special wrench. The Hellfire knurled grip seems extremely adequate and makes it easy to tighten by hand and it works perfectly w/o special tools.

- I can't find any reviews on the ST1 at all

I've been using the Patriot Valley Arms Shockwave; positive reviews and from my own experience, a solid performing brake...

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/shockwave-muzzle-brake/
Old 07-16-2019, 9:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalPatriot63 View Post
I've been using the Patriot Valley Arms Shockwave; positive reviews and from my own experience, a solid performing brake...

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/shockwave-muzzle-brake/
Looks nice.

Hows the timing work? same way as the others where you thread it on right hand then back out the "ring" on the end left hand to snug it up or something?

Looks like it uses a spanner to tighten it (flat edges on the ring?)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:52 PM

I took a closer look at the Hellfire, I might be going that route. It looks like it can also be reused or swapped with other muzzle devices using Area 419 adapter system.

In light of recent events in my city, I spent the money I would have spent on a muzzle brake, on additional secure storage. I might as well keep up appearances, anyway.
Old 07-17-2019, 9:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I took a closer look at the Hellfire, I might be going that route. It looks like it can also be reused or swapped with other muzzle devices using Area 419 adapter system.

In light of recent events in my city, I spent the money I would have spent on a muzzle brake, on additional secure storage. I might as well keep up appearances, anyway.
I bought the Sidewinder yesterday. Should have it Friday. I'm going to look at it and see if the threads are the same as the Hellfire. I think they are so it should be interchangeable.