Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toybasher View Post
Well, the day ended. AFAIK nothing happened at least that I'm aware of.

Does this mean Freedom Week 2 is likely and we'll hit July 4th before any action such as a stay can be taken?
No matter what does or doesn’t happen, “freedom week 2” will never be likely.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:19 AM

Yes more than likely they attend graduations, biirthday parties and 4th of JULY cook outs of one another the all share common ground they are after all jurrists whom sit on the 9th circuit among the most important they are humans and are supposed to set aside their indifferences, feelings, political attributes when deciding court cases they must read the constitution for as it is written as the oath of office states to uphold and protect any person in public office or holding a place in which decisions are to be made effecting the people and their constitutional rights as set down by the founders. Need to exuse them selves from their duties if they cannot set aside their indifferences and be impartial.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yup, won't be a "freedom week 2". It'll be plain freedom.
This is gonna be the best 4th of July EVER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt_Action View Post
No matter what does or doesn’t happen, “freedom week 2” will never be likely.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

So, where are we at? Was the 18th the cut off for the courts to decide on whether Miller will be perma stayed?

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 06-19-2021, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobler View Post
So, where are we at? Was the 18th the cut off for the courts to decide on whether Miller will be perma stayed?

No it was just a date the AG wanted them to rule by for an emergency stay. It’s kind of nice it didn’t happen. But they’re basically asking for stay after stay to see if something sticks, and usually something does whenever it’s against us.
Old 06-19-2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_gear View Post
Yup, won't be a "freedom week 2". It'll be plain freedom.
This is gonna be the best 4th of July EVER!!
I TRULY hope so ! I have my grips ready to put back on lmao.
Old 06-19-2021, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

This is kind of ironic seeing as a Ford 150 was mentioned in the opinion…

https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-ac...184634228.html
Old 06-19-2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
No it was just a date the AG wanted them to rule by for an emergency stay. It’s kind of nice it didn’t happen. But they’re basically asking for stay after stay to see if something sticks, and usually something does whenever it’s against us.
^^ This. It's not clear to me if the Juneteenth holiday factored into the delay of the decision; the announcement makes it seem to apply to the filing only. Judges are on call, so 2 judges could easily get together on a holiday to give something an administrative stay... so we may see the judges say something on Monday, but I'd hope that they don't even respond on Monday to make it clear that the AG can pound sand when demanding arbitrary emergency deadline dates, even if the court ultimately grants a stay pending appeal.

I'd hope that they deny all recourse to the AG, but that's definitely hoping too much .
Old 06-19-2021, 4:58 PM

Since Benitez stayed his own decision, the 9th has until July to decide how to word their stay during the appeal. No reason for them to work on a holiday. They can celebrate two “freedom” holidays then come back to work and take that freedom away.

Last edited by Foothills; 06-19-2021 at 5:07 PM..
Old 06-19-2021, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

So is July 4th comes with no word from the 9th. Our rights are returned. Can the court then issue a stay say July 5th, 7th or even Aug??

Old 06-19-2021, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So is July 4th comes with no word from the 9th. Our rights are returned. Can the court then issue a stay say July 5th, 7th or even Aug??
They could stay it another day, but all it would take is a small amount of time to be able to convert our rifles. Maybe not enough time to order a new one and wait the 10 days, but enough time to remove a fin grip.
Old 06-19-2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
That's not going to happen. The unlikely thing that could happen is that the motions panel is 2-1 pro-2A, denying the stay (and denying administrative stay during appeal to en banc) but then it would be appealed en banc, and then... actually I don't know how that works with appealing the MOTIONS PANEL en banc. I'd have to look at the General Orders.
Old 06-19-2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post
That's not going to happen. The unlikely thing that could happen is that the motions panel is 2-1 pro-2A, denying the stay (and denying administrative stay during appeal to en banc) but then it would be appealed en banc, and then... actually I don't know how that works with appealing the MOTIONS PANEL en banc. I'd have to look at the General Orders.

General Order 6.11
Old 06-19-2021, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA777 View Post
Didn't SCOTUS just put the kibosh on welfare check crap.
Yes. Unless a warrant is obtained, it's a no go for police to enter and confiscate.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Like I said, the law is clear but the appeals court didn't care and affirmed the conviction. You might (or might not) be surprised at the contortions they went through to get there. To the point that at least 1 justice began to argue with me that case law on point "didn't say what I was claiming it said."

Reading the quote direct from the decision made no difference, he insisted that the words I spoke aloud didn't exist. Which was very disconcerting not having ever come across that type of denialism before.

It was about that point in time that I began to be a wee bit disillusioned about the fairness of our justice system.

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery
Old 06-20-2021, 4:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Nope.

Methinks that you may be misunderstanding the decision, made last month, by the Supreme Court in Caniglia v Strom.

That case didn't do anything to change the police practice of "Welfare Checks."

What Caniglia did was to make very clear (as in a 9-0 decision) that LEO's could not apply the "Community Caretaking" doctrine to justify the warrantless seizure of firearms from a home.
Old 06-21-2021, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
This is kind of ironic seeing as a Ford 150 was mentioned in the opinion…

https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-ac...184634228.html

I wonder if the victims and their familes can sue Ford and hold them accountable. I mean, you can now do it with firearm companies and the truck in question wasn't used as it was intended. Same liberal logic, right?
Old 06-21-2021, 9:24 AM

Quote:
It started with a welfare check.
The police overstepped their bounds by extending the welfare check to using community caretaking consider for a warrantless search.

i was responding to rplaw's comment where he refers to 4th amendment violation of a client of his. I never said anything about 2A.

Caniglia covers using welfare check as a pretext for warrantless search and seizure.
Go back and read the case.

You correctly understand that officers initially went to the Caniglia home to conduct a "Welfare Check" after his wife had been unable to reach him. Officers conducted that check, located Mr. Caniglia, and arranged for him to be hospitalized.

That sequence of events ended the "Welfare Check." The Court found no fault with the manner in which the "Welfare Check" was conducted. There was no "extension" of the "Welfare Check." The Court analyzed the reentry into the home as a separate activity (please note that officers only initially "entered" the home as far as the porch to render aid to Mr. Caniglia)

The legal events that caused the Supreme Court to fang the officers all occurred after that point in time.

It's important to note that Mr. Caniglia argued that the both the entry to seize him, and the entry to seize the firearms violated the Fourth Amendment. The Supreme Court only found that the second entry (which was well into the interior of the home), and the one to seize the firearms, violated the Amendment.

Following the conclusion of the "Welfare Check", the officers elected to re-enter the home under the legal theory that the "Community Caretaker" doctrine would allow them to seize Mr. Caniglia's firearms presented a threat to public safety. In so doing, they relied upon an extension of the reasoning in Cady v Dombrowski where the court upheld the seizure of a firearm from a vehicle on what has later been term "Community Caretaking" grounds.

In the Caniglia decision, the Supreme Court did not throw out the "Community Caretaking" doctrine. It simply found that the doctrine was unreasonably applied to the (re)entry into Mr. Caniglia's home.

Last edited by RickD427; 06-21-2021 at 9:40 AM..
Old 06-21-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Go back and read the case.

You correctly understand that officers initially went to the Caniglia home to conduct a "Welfare Check" after his wife had been unable to reach him. Officers conducted that check, located Mr. Caniglia, and arranged for him to be hospitalized.

That sequence of events ended the "Welfare Check." The Court found no fault with the manner in which the "Welfare Check" was conducted. There was no "extension" of the "Welfare Check." The Court analyzed the reentry into the home as a separate activity (please note that officers only initially "entered" the home as far as the porch to render aid to Mr. Caniglia)

The legal events that caused the Supreme Court to fang the officers all occurred after that point in time.

It's important to note that Mr. Caniglia argued that the both the entry to seize him, and the entry to seize the firearms violated the Fourth Amendment. The Supreme Court only found that the second entry (which was well into the interior of the home), and the one to seize the firearms, violated the Amendment.

Following the conclusion of the "Welfare Check", the officers elected to re-enter the home under the legal theory that the "Community Caretaker" doctrine would allow them to seize Mr. Caniglia's firearms presented a threat to public safety. In so doing, they relied upon an extension of the reasoning in Cady v Dombrowski where the court upheld the seizure of a firearm from a vehicle on what has later been term "Community Caretaking" grounds.

In the Caniglia decision, the Supreme Court did not throw out the "Community Caretaking" doctrine. It simply found that the doctrine was unreasonably applied to the (re)entry into Mr. Caniglia's home.
Wasnt that car impounded. There seems to be a wide gulf between removing a firearm from w car in a police impound lot and breaking into someone's house to take their guns. The car was under control of the police while the house wasn't.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncivil Engineer View Post
Wasnt that car impounded. There seems to be a wide gulf between removing a firearm from w car in a police impound lot and breaking into someone's house to take their guns. The car was under control of the police while the house wasn't.
Your understanding is correct.

In Caniglia, the Supreme Court made a very clear distinction between the vehicle search in Cady and the residential search done in Caniglia. The key distinctions were that 1) A home has a greater expectation of privacy than a does a vehicle. and 2) Firearms left in a vehicle, in a storage lot, are at much greater risk of theft than are firearms secured in a home.

The Court didn't throw out the "Community Caretaker" doctrine. It simply found that it produced a "reasonable" seizure in the Cady case, and led to an "unreasonable" seizure in the Caniglia case.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Your understanding is correct.

In Caniglia, the Supreme Court made a very clear distinction between the vehicle search in Cady and the residential search done in Caniglia. The key distinctions were that 1) A home has a greater expectation of privacy than a does a vehicle. and 2) Firearms left in a vehicle, in a storage lot, are at much greater risk of theft than are firearms secured in a home.

The Court didn't throw out the "Community Caretaker" doctrine. It simply found that it produced a "reasonable" seizure in the Cady case, and led to an "unreasonable" seizure in the Caniglia case.
Would it have made any practical difference if the firearms that were seized been in a securely locked safe, or in some other manner not available to the officers?
Old 06-21-2021, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

What does any of this have to do with the progression of this case?
Old 06-21-2021, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
Would it have made any practical difference if the firearms that were seized been in a securely locked safe, or in some other manner not available to the officers?
The way I read the case, it would have made no difference. The Court faulted the officers for making an "unreasonable" entry into the residence for the purpose of locating the firearms, and that occurred even before they actually located the firearms.
Old 06-21-2021, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
06/21/2021 13 Filed order (BARRY G. SILVERMAN, JACQUELINE H. NGUYEN and RYAN D. NELSON): The motion by the State of Arizona, et al. (Docket Entry No. [9]-1) for leave to file an amicus brief in opposition to appellants’ motion for a stay pending appeal is granted. The clerk will file the amicus brief (Docket Entry No. [9]-2). The district court’s June 4, 2021 order and judgment are stayed pending resolution of Rupp v. Bonta, No. 19-56004. The stay shall remain in effect until further order of this court. Briefing in this appeal is stayed. Within 14 days of this court’s decision in Rupp v. Bonta, the parties shall file a status report and may request appropriate relief. [12149589] (AF) [Entered: 06/21/2021 02:47 PM]
July 4th party canceled ?

Last edited by abinsinia; 06-21-2021 at 1:58 PM..
Old 06-21-2021, 1:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
Quote:
The way I read the case, it would have made no difference. The Court faulted the officers for making an "unreasonable" entry into the residence for the purpose of locating the firearms, and that occurred even before they actually located the firearms.
Actually, Caniglia's firearms were securely locked in a safe. The officers lied to the Mrs. And told her that her husband had given them permission to take his guns. And conned her into opening the safe.

As well as the "unreasonable" entry that Rick mentions. Since that occurred while Caniglia was already in voluntary custody at the time.
Old 06-21-2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
some response.
Stayed pending Rupp? What the heck?

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery
Old 06-21-2021, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
Stayed pending Rupp? What the heck?
and Rupp is stayed pending Duncan.
Old 06-21-2021, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Where did you find this? Didn't see any mention of it on FPC's page for Miller v. Bonta.
Old 06-21-2021, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbrahamBurden View Post
Where did you find this? Didn't see any mention of it on FPC's page for Miller v. Bonta.
It was pulled off pacer.gov .. pacer is where the documents are filed.
Old 06-21-2021, 2:14 PM
Spent $299 for this text!

Quote:
I'm really not sure why so many people here were getting their hopes up for a stay denial from the 9th. I mean, I'm sometimes more optimistic than most, but that was a loony amount of optimism.

Old 06-21-2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandG View Post
I'm really not sure why so many people here were getting their hopes up for a stay denial from the 9th. I mean, I'm sometimes more optimistic than most, but that was a loony amount of optimism.
I don't think anybody was realistically hoping that the 9th was ever going to deny the stay (they're filled with leftoid stooges), but my hope was that all the stuff about having to meet in person and bureaucracy taking time, would allow us to "run the clock" to the 4th of July and get Benitez's order in effect. Then anything that happened afterward would have to address all the standard config ARs that would almost certainly be made in even a 24-hour period and I don't think even the state could just criminalize tens of thousands of gun owners overnight willy-nilly.
Old 06-21-2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Can someone who knows legalese translate it?

Quote:
06/21/2021 13 Filed order (BARRY G. SILVERMAN, JACQUELINE H. NGUYEN and RYAN D. NELSON): The motion by the State of Arizona, et al. (Docket Entry No. [9]-1) for leave to file an amicus brief in opposition to appellants’ motion for a stay pending appeal is granted.
What do they mean by "State of Arizona and others want leave to file a brief in OPPOSITION to a stay is granted"

I assume that's that big letter that was written by a bunch of free states saying don't stay this. So the OPPOSITION to the stay was granted? Meaning the stay was denied?

Quote:
The clerk will file the amicus brief (Docket Entry No. [9]-2). The district court’s June 4, 2021 order and judgment are stayed pending resolution of Rupp v. Bonta, No. 19-56004. The stay shall remain in effect until further order of this court. Briefing in this appeal is stayed.
Oh, so it IS being stayed? But what's with the prior quote box saying the opposition to the stay was granted then?

Quote:
Within 14 days of this court’s decision in Rupp v. Bonta, the parties shall file a status report and may request appropriate relief. [12149589] (AF) [Entered: 06/21/2021 02:47 PM]
What's this mean? Rupp v Bonta (Originally Rupp V Berrica) is apparently a different challenge to the Assault Weapon law. Is that the one people think is higher up in the system? Are they basically saying "Wait till Rupp v Bonta is done and whatever ruling applied there will apply to Miller"?
Old 06-21-2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toybasher View Post
Can someone who knows legalese translate it?

What do they mean by "State of Arizona and others want leave to file a brief in OPPOSITION to a stay is granted"

\
They mean that the other states' written brief is granted and that it'll be accepted for consideration in decision-making, but as we see it didn't stop the court from extending the stay on Benitez's judgement anyway.
Old 06-21-2021, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Prediction: Rupp will lose and the 9th will vacate Miller, citing Rupp.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-21-2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Prediction: Rupp will lose and the 9th will vacate Miller, citing Rupp.
Rupp can't proceed until the court finishes with Duncan, as mentioned earlier.
Old 06-21-2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbrahamBurden View Post
They mean that the other states' written brief is granted and that it'll be accepted for consideration in decision-making, but as we see it didn't stop the court from extending the stay on Benitez's judgement anyway.
What the court did was play more shenanigans games.

They didn't rule on the 1. emergency stay, or 2. the stay pending appeal.

What they did instead was to stay the case pending the outcome of a different case which is stayed pending the outcome of yet a 3rd case.

Which effectively was a granting of an emergency stay without even having to consider a dam thing.

My Utubery
Old 06-21-2021, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Isn’t Rupp a much more limited lawsuit? Miller and Rupp aren’t even going after the same things.
Old 06-21-2021, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibikiR View Post
Rupp can't proceed until the court finishes with Duncan, as mentioned earlier.
Easy enough to update.

Prediction: Duncan will lose, and the 9th will vacate Rupp if Rupp wins, citing Duncan
Then the 9th will vacate Miller, citing Rupp (or Duncan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Isn’t Rupp a much more limited lawsuit? Miller and Rupp aren’t even going after the same things.
The 9th cares not about any of that.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-21-2021, 3:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Clearly they don’t, given that Duncan is about magazines. I guess they can stay any gun case based on any other gun case. The 9th needs to be broken up. It’s a joke of a circuit. I guess our only hope is SCOTUS at this point, not that I have any faith in them.
Old 06-21-2021, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

I think Duncan will be stayed pending NYSRPA v. Corlett right after Duncan oral arguments tomorrow. Then we'll have a serious daisy chain.