Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-06-2010, 9:30 AM

Default Growing a Garden?

I have wanted to grow fruits and vegetables for a while now, just never got around to it. After I seen the pool green house thread, I did some research, and decided to try my hand at indoor gardening. I have lettuce, tomatos, and some flowers for the wife that have sprouted already.

Does anyone else grow stuff year round?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

My wife and I do. Try to get hooked up with a gardening/urban farming group in your area. Go to farmers markets, talk to people. You need to get a full understanding for what kinds of plants are going to do well in your area. We rent a house with a small backyard and man, we have cut it up in order to grow food. I built a few beds, I dug a pit for my compost and we really use all the space we can.

So anyways, in the Sacramento Valley we do well with
-tomatoes
-pretty much all leafy greens
-All manner of squash and zucchini
-peppers
Thats pretty much all we do at this point. It's enough to make the bulk of our dinners out of veggies grown from our yard.

I highly recommend The Urban Homestead. It teaches you how to grow lots of food even if you don't have access to any soil outside. I've learned a lot of skills and knowledge about growing food that I will take with me for the rest of my life. It's a great SHTF book.

Growing your own food is awesome, good luck!
Old 10-06-2010, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

get some medium and large plastic storage containers
buy some dirt, miracle grow etc some plants put then in and water them

something like mine

Chickens

Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

PM me Wouxun 2M radio 4 Sale
Old 10-06-2010, 5:09 PM

I have a small garden going at my house. Being in San Diego almost everything grows year round. Its a great teaching tool for your kids also. My
6yr old son was so amazed that he was pulling up carrots, not from the store. I think it's important to teach kids that food does not just appear in the local albertsons. Of course I got tomatos,cucumbers,sweet pea's,oakra, and other vegs growing as well. I'm actually thinking of starting up a chicken pen with atleast 3 hens. There are some neat set ups you can buy online or you could build you own of course. Constant supplie of fresh eggs sounds cool to me, yes it will be work but seems worth it to me.

Last edited by 855R; 10-06-2010 at 5:13 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 10-06-2010, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

I planted all kinds of stuff in my yard this year

that damn heat wave killed everything
Old 10-06-2010, 5:18 PM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My dad is an Avocado farmer in Fallbrook CA. He grows hass avocados. I have been thinking about moving in with him and getting into growing different fruits and veggies myself. He has a lot of land and if you know Fallbrook, you know everything grows down their due to the fertile grown and great growing weather.
Old 10-06-2010, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i expanded my garden area this year after getting rid of an old stump in my backyard and i grew all kinds of veggies in it. i have a big backyard that if needed i could grow quite a bit of food. water on the other hand is a pain if the water is out. i live in a city.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 10-06-2010, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

Use this for potting soil. Its the best.

My mom has had a garden since forever. It kicks *** to be able to go visit and come back with tomatoes, zuccini, squash, fresh basil, thyme, rosemary, etc. And when the citrus trees are flowering

I don't have any space at my apartment right now to grow anything decent.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)
Old 10-06-2010, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
My dad is an Avocado farmer in Fallbrook CA. He grows hass avocados. I have been thinking about moving in with him and getting into growing different fruits and veggies myself. He has a lot of land and if you know Fallbrook, you know everything grows down their due to the fertile grown and great growing weather.
avos are BOMB
Old 10-06-2010, 5:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
What are you waiting for? Do it!
Your dad will love you for it to!
I'll come down and make some of my award winning Guac for you.......
Old 10-06-2010, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm of Life View Post
Use this for potting soil. Its the best.

My mom has had a garden since forever. It kicks *** to be able to go visit and come back with tomatoes, zuccini, squash, fresh basil, thyme, rosemary, etc. And when the citrus trees are flowering

I don't have any space at my apartment right now to grow anything decent.

Ha. Yeah Fox Farms makes the best commercial medium available. Hands down.

Oh, and somebody below mentioned Miracle Grow....Don't use Miracle Grow. It's garbage, it will seriously burn-out your plants, and leave your soil toxic and useless. Not to mention that it will make your harvests taste funky.

If you like to see what gunnies grow, check out this thread....you might recognize a few of the names over there.....

http://bumpfire.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1388

Purple Bells, Green Bells, and some hybrid super hot chile peppers

Two different types of potatoes

Strawberries

Swiss Chard. Look at the size of that leaf! Compare that to what you've seen before.....

Artichokes.

Juicy Peas
Old 10-06-2010, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Onions.

Various in the garden a couple of years ago..

More Strawberries.

Very early corn from last summer.

and yes, I do garden year round, both indoors and out. Santa Barbara has very mild season changes and I can usually take my tomatoes into January. Indoors is where I do my cloning. I grow and have a passion for Brugmansia, and generally you'll find 10+ clones in various stages of rooting in my house.

I also use a fish-farm fertilizer system. I have a 15 gallon plastic container full of 1-3" gold fish (probably 20 fish or so) and I use that to water some of my plants daily.

The key to great gardening is the soil. Great soil will compensate for many other problems, but if you have poor soil gardening becomes mostly a waste of time.

Last edited by Hopi; 10-06-2010 at 5:58 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 6:25 PM

I have a big yard and am starting to plan a decent sized garden, but I have a huge MOLE problem. I've smoked them, hosed them, supersonic noised them and they still come around.

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I going to have to have an above ground garden?
Old 10-06-2010, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcs1211 View Post
I have a big yard and am starting to plan a decent sized garden, but I have a huge MOLE problem. I've smoked them, hosed them, supersonic noised them and they still come around.

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I going to have to have an above ground garden?
Shoot them.

or....

-Shoot them.
-Poison works well if you don't have pets around the yard.
-When you dig your beds, line the bottom and sides with small-holed chicken wire. They can't dig through that.

And if the above don't work, plant 1-2 extra plants for each food you're growing. The moles/gophers will get one or two as a tax for you digging in their homes, but you still harvest enough plants to keep feed and not get too discouraged.
Old 10-06-2010, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

We do lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, zucchini, eggplant, squash, and a couple herbs. Composting correctly will make your veggies grow fast and huge. A friend of mine grows zucchinis as big as a hog's leg.

Vote for pro-gun candidates, or lose your rights, and the rights of future generations. That's it. The end.

"No one said life would be easy".
Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Wow! This is a great thread. Very informative.
Old 10-14-2010, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

I have a very small garden area. 2 3x3 raised bed. I've planted tomato and brocolli. I also have chilli peppers (thai variety) and sweet potato in a oak barrel. I use the leaves from the sweet potato for soups and salads. Once I'm fully healed from my surgery I'm planning on adding another bed. I've obtained free top soil a while back and have two 30 gallon container of compost to amend the soil. It's been a trial and error for me. Heck I'm not known to have a green thumb anyway.
Old 10-14-2010, 9:20 AM
Banned

How do you guys keep the bugs from eating the leaves and plants?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM

I grew a ton of tomatoes, upside down in 5 gallon buckets this summer. I also had bell peppers, jalapeños and habaneros growing out of the top with varying degrees of success.

Very little problem with bugs and weeds that way and the tomatoes were great.

Since I never did get around to practicing canning over the summer I dehydrated them all and vacuum sealed them in Mason jars instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjfb View Post
Politicians are icky, reporters are icky too. Between the two we all end up feeling sticky and cheap at the end of the night.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Depends on the kinds of bugs. For snails, use snail bait or dishes of beer. For caterpillars use Sevin dust. For scale, use soapy water. Many bugs can be dissuaded from entering your garden just by planting certain plants around the perimeter. Marigolds, garlic and onions all have this effect on various pests to some degree.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilinblack View Post
I grew a ton of tomatoes, upside down in 5 gallon buckets this summer. I also had bell peppers, jalapeños and habaneros growing out of the top with varying degrees of success.

Since I never did get around to practicing canning over the summer I dehydrated them all and vacuum sealed them in Mason jars instead.
I like that idea. Next time I go to my parents I'm going to build a set-up like that for them.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
Old 10-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post

If your soil and environment is healthy, bugs really won't be too much of a problem. Most things in balanced ecosystems have predators to keep things in check.

But......you will get bugs and other critters like moles, even in the healthiest gardens. So......

Depends on the bugs.

The types of bugs will vary by plant, geographic location, and micro-climate.

-I get caterpillars on my brugmansia specimens, and I pull those pests by hand.
-I have found earwigs on my corn. When this happens I spread diamoteceous earth around the base of the plants and that takes care of the problem within 24 hours usually.
-Slugs and snails also hate diamoteceous earth. Use it and they won't be found in your garden.
-White fly, or spider mites require organic pesticides.

Stay away from the heavy chemical pesticides. They work, but i don't want that stuff anywhere near my plants or soil, and certainly not anywhere near my mouth or stomach.

Indoors, it's a whole 'nuther game.

Last edited by Hopi; 10-14-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Preying Mantis and ladybugs are good for keeping most pests out of the garden.

John Stuart Mill
Old 10-14-2010, 2:35 PM
Banned

One last question. What do you do with the dried tomatoes?

Quote:

Last edited by problemchild; 10-14-2010 at 6:24 PM..
Old 10-14-2010, 2:37 PM
Banned

Default Re: Growing a Garden?

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but how do you make it grow out the bottom?

Quote:
I grew a ton of tomatoes, upside down in 5 gallon buckets this summer. I also had bell peppers, jalapeños and habaneros growing out of the top with v
Look at the topsy turvy for a commercial example.
Old 10-14-2010, 3:27 PM

Neem oil is a great organic pesticide.
Old 10-14-2010, 4:45 PM

Topsy Turvy is a ripoff, the buckets are like $4 and you can grow any kind of tomatoes you want instead of whatever mystery hybrid seed they give you.

The "Homer Buckets" have a small circle molded into the bottom of them, I used a 2" (I think) hole saw to cut out the inside of this circle. I started with small plants from the nursery and removed them from the pot they are sold in, I carefully knocked the soil loose from the roots and pushed the roots through the hole. Then I put some burlap around the hole to hold the soil in and while holding the roots up (since the "top" of the plant is now pointing down) filled the bucket up with a mix of 3 parts Miracle Grow potting soil and 1 part Sphagnum moss (to reduce weight and increase water retention).

One thing I've found interesting is that since I harvested the tomatoes and cut the plants way back they're flowering again and producing more fruit. Hopefully with this screwy weather I can get another decent harvest before they die off for the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjfb View Post
Politicians are icky, reporters are icky too. Between the two we all end up feeling sticky and cheap at the end of the night.
Old 10-14-2010, 6:12 PM
Banned

Thanks

Im trying to move the hell out of here and get a place in Idaho. I want to set up a green house when I get my place. That is if the economy doesn't collapse first.

Quote:
Topsy Turvy is a ripoff, the buckets are like $4 and you can grow any kind of tomatoes you want instead of whatever mystery hybrid seed they give you.

The "Homer Buckets" have a small circle molded into the bottom of them, I used a 2" (I think) hole saw to cut out the inside of this circle. I started with small plants from the nursery and removed them from the pot they are sold in, I carefully knocked the soil loose from the roots and pushed the roots through the hole. Then I put some burlap around the hole to hold the soil in and while holding the roots up (since the "top" of the plant is now pointing down) filled the bucket up with a mix of 3 parts Miracle Grow potting soil and 1 part Sphagnum moss (to reduce weight and increase water retention).

One thing I've found interesting is that since I harvested the tomatoes and cut the plants way back they're flowering again and producing more fruit. Hopefully with this screwy weather I can get another decent harvest before they die off for the winter.
Old 10-14-2010, 6:24 PM
Banned

One last question. What do you do with the dried tomatoes?

Quote:

Old 12-29-2020, 6:17 AM
Calguns Addict

I already have a tomato volunteer that popped up a while ago...its about 10in high now and with any luck it will bear fruit...prolly a grocery store variety

I am going to extend the garden bed now that the rain has softened the area I have to dig and i have a bunch of mulch i have been making to put in it

I have tomato seeds germinating now ...Brandywine (Red)..Cherokee purple and Black Krim ....im going for flavor this year
Not sure if I will grown anything else (Besides the herbs and Jalapenos i always grow)...Im tempted to grow melons since all the ones in the store are bland crap

Last edited by Bangzoom; 12-29-2020 at 6:19 AM..
Old 12-29-2020, 8:08 AM

I grow herbs mostly, parsley, basil, rosemary. Also saffron. Zucchini is very easy.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:37 PM

I recently started gardening, but this year my garden is already looking much better. I planted a lot of berry bushes last fall and this year I planted some new trees. I read a lot of information on the Internet about which method of growing fruit and berry plants is best for the climate in my area and decided to choose growing the plant outdoors in pots. I know that in this case, my plants in the garden require more frequent fertilization in order to give me a good harvest. I found on this site several good remedies for boosting plant growth and maintaining potted trees. But I don’t know what is best to choose. Can someone advise me which fertilizer is best?
Old 06-04-2021, 5:47 PM

pests are the hardest to deal with for new gardeners since you won't really know what's a "problem" for your area, until you just try it and figure it out. Snails/slugs are bad here. And all kinds of things, ground squirrels mostly I think, steal my tomatoes as soon as they start to ripen. I've considered buying a trail cam to figure it out. Maybe gonna have to net them this year.
I absolutely HATE neem oil - it smells awful. Even days later I can smell it from 15 feet away as soon as I go out my back door.
Old 06-04-2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
pests are the hardest to deal with for new gardeners since you won't really know what's a "problem" for your area, until you just try it and figure it out. Snails/slugs are bad here. And all kinds of things, ground squirrels mostly I think, steal my tomatoes as soon as they start to ripen. I've considered buying a trail cam to figure it out. Maybe gonna have to net them this year.
I absolutely HATE neem oil - it smells awful. Even days later I can smell it from 15 feet away as soon as I go out my back door.

BT for bugs
Squirrelanator and pellet gun for squirrels
Old 06-05-2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsightsRifleman View Post
Zucchini is very easy.
Years ago when my wife and I planted our first garden we put in about a half dozen zucchini plants. Word to the wise--don't do this.

One or two is plenty.

Just put my tomatoes in the ground this morning--a little late, but they'll be okay.

Tim
Old 06-08-2021, 9:36 AM

For pest control I use Copenhagen snuff. Make a tea with it, strain it, and put in a spray bottle. Spray it on the leaves. Keeps all the leaf eaters off the plants
Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcs1211 View Post

No moles, but we have gophers. I've tried smoking them, gassing them, sonic devices, firecrackers, Gopher Hawks, and playing Carlos Hathcock with an air rifle. We use livestock watering bins as above-ground planters, and some larger planters I built w/ a PT wood frame & corrugated steel sides & bottoms. No gophers in the planters. We built gopher nets using 1" hardware cloth for anything planted in-ground. Lost a few trees before we started using those.

Just built a green house for the wife, so she's running full steam this year. Another yer or two & I hope our fruit trees will start producing. They're still a little too small. The lemon & orange trees are producing a little, but can't wait for my cherry, apple, plumb, peach, & avacado trees to start producing. Going to try my hand at beekeeping, too. That should really help pollination.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:01 AM

I’ve had a few, I give. Between the rabbits, birds, ground squirrels and gophers it’s a full time job.

CFBBD22A-2E62-465E-862F-718740F561E4.jpg