Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 06-10-2021, 8:44 AM

Default Fish finder/gps

Hey all, we have a lowrance hook 2 on our Low bay 20 and it hasn’t worked well since day 1. I have read that the are not the best unit but we have tried moving the transducer, checked wiring, etc. It never gives the correct depth and or shows the right structure (I think). We use it for bass, trout, and take it our for rockfish and salmon when the weather permits. Any suggestions on a better rig?
Old 06-10-2021, 9:39 AM

On the ocean boats I’ve owned I never used a single unit for GPS and sounder. I used a Furno scv-667 and a Sitex GPS plotter. Liked the furno because it would signal at 2 different MHz, enabling me to see the difference between squid and regular baitfish. Also gives you a better understanding between a mud and sand bottom. For some reason I like the fact that the two units were separate. This way if it fails at least I don’t need to replace essentially both. Always had a hand held battery powered gps for back up.

Last edited by bigboarstopper; 06-10-2021 at 9:42 AM..
Old 06-10-2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
On the ocean boats Iíve owned I never used a single unit for GPS and sounder. I used a Furno scv-667 and a Sitex GPS plotter. Liked the furno because it would signal at 2 different MHz, enabling me to see the difference between squid and regular baitfish. Also gives you a better understanding between a mud and sand bottom. For some reason I like the fact that the two units were separate. This way if it fails at least I donít need to replace essentially both. Always had a hand held battery powered gps for back up.
Thatís a good point, this one came with the boat and we thought it would work better. I am looking into options so this could be a good one, thanks!
Old 06-11-2021, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

Most of it is all in the tuning , get on YouTube find you model or similar and watch a pro Fisherman tune it.
If you have any chop at all the bottom pic will have issues.
I run a Humminbird Mega chirp. Ocean , bay and lakes. It shows a crisp clean pic but it took time to tune.
Old 06-13-2021, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

On my Triumph 17, I run a Hummingbird Helix5,Chirp, SI( side imaging) GPS. Awesome rig for under $500.I upgraded my old 383c, and I ran it 5 years on my kayak, and 3 on the skiff. It was bulletproof... Simrads if you have deep pockets.