Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
That comes straight from Michel & Associates. I had agreed with your assessment before, but they say self-serialized numbers are indeed a no-go for AW registration, according to their webinar yesterday.

But, you can try to register using your existing serial and see what happens, if they accept it then I'll revise the OP.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with Michel & Associates. And I already have submitted my registration anyway. I will report back my results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
AFAIK... (i could be wrong)

Self-engraved info that was voluntarily registered prior to 2017, is being accepted for assault weapons registration.

Self-engraved info that was not voluntarily registered prior to 2017, is not being accepted for assault weapons registration and CA DOJ is requiring their identification number to be engraved onto the "home built" firearm, in order to make the "home built" firearm eligible for assault weapons registration.
OK this would make some kind of sense if either one, you have not yet VolReged, or two, all VolRegs in 2017 will be denied. My VolReg was approved. Maybe there is some confusion at DOJ (likely) and they plan to deny new VolRegs. But they did not deny mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLapua View Post
My understanding that PC 29180 only applies to vol registration of a firearm, not AW registration. The DOJ has adopted additional requirements for AW registration. I don't have anything to back this up, but I remember the first set of regulations they submitted stating that if your lower already had a self assigned serial number that you would have to add the DOJ assigned serial number in addition. But that doesn't seem to have made it into the final, approved regulations, so not sure how they will handle that scenario. Hopefully for you and others like you, you don't have to get it engraved again...
I just think the DOJ are as confused as the rest of us.
Old 08-10-2017, 9:06 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
regarding overall length, does that mean that firearms that need muzzle devices to reach 30" should have them pinned and welded prior to registration?
Correct. And keep in mind that the measurement is with the stock fully collapsed/folded to the shortest position that the gun can still fire in. Also keep in mind that only the muzzle device has to be permanently attached to reach the 30" length - devices on the opposite end of the firearm do not need to be permanently attached. So a really thick thick "limbsaver" type pad, or a really long scope, might help you here.

I just updated the OP to help clarify that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with Michel & Associates. And I already have submitted my registration anyway. I will report back my results.

OK this would make some kind of sense if either one, you have not yet VolReged, or two, all VolRegs in 2017 will be denied. My VolReg was approved. Maybe there is some confusion at DOJ (likely) and they plan to deny new VolRegs. But they did not deny mine.

I just think the DOJ are as confused as the rest of us.
You may be right, I'm standing by for further information about this, I haven't seen any consensus yet, and DOJ told someone who asked that "they don't know the answer yet". So for now, if this scenario applies to anyone, I would recommend waiting until it gets sorted out before registering anything.

Last edited by CandG; 08-10-2017 at 9:24 AM..
Old 08-10-2017, 9:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good job cockedandglocked...

Here is my question, bear with me...

In the regs, section 5471 on terms and definitions,

hh(3) With regards to an AR-15 style firearm, if a complete upper receiver and a complete lower receiver are completely detached from one another, but still in possession or under custody or control of same person, the firearm is NOT a semiautomatic firearm.

So my question is if I have a AR-15 style bb RAW and I want to go to a target shooting range, if I completely detach the upper receiver from the lower receiver and the lower receiver is no longer considered a semiautomatic firearm, would the lower receiver still be subject to strict RAW transportation requirements???

iTrader Feedback Link
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1885547
Old 08-10-2017, 9:48 AM
From anotha motha

What are the parameters for adding a "child" as a joint registrant? For example, "child" has to be 18 or can be any age? What happens when we list a "child" as a registrant?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
What are the parameters for adding a "child" as a joint registrant? For example, "child" has to be 18 or can be any age? What happens when we list a "child" as a registrant?
I've tried to summarize that in the guide, but here's the basics:

-The child needs to be 18 as of June 30, 2018.
-The child needs to be 18 to possess an AW, so it might be a bad idea to submit your registration before their 18th birthday, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
-When YOU (the primary) registers, you'll need to list your child as a joint applicant, list "parent to child" as the relationship, and upload their proof of residency.
-Then, your child needs to make a CFARS account and do exactly the same process again, listing "child to parent" as the relationship, and reference your CRIS number that you got when you registered as the primary.
-They'll need to pay another $15, and they'll need to upload all the same firearm photos and proof of residency that you already did.

Last edited by CandG; 08-10-2017 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bulletBarney View Post
Good job cockedandglocked...

Here is my question, bear with me...

In the regs, section 5471 on terms and definitions,

hh(3) With regards to an AR-15 style firearm, if a complete upper receiver and a complete lower receiver are completely detached from one another, but still in possession or under custody or control of same person, the firearm is NOT a semiautomatic firearm.

So my question is if I have a AR-15 style bb RAW and I want to go to a target shooting range, if I completely detach the upper receiver from the lower receiver and the lower receiver is no longer considered a semiautomatic firearm, would the lower receiver still be subject to strict RAW transportation requirements???
There's two parts to my answer.

First - in your scenario, you're going to a target shooting range, which is a perfectly acceptable destination, you just have to make sure it's locked (either in a locking case, or in a locked trunkspace).

Second - I don't really know the answer. The thing is, it's NOT an AW while the upper and lower are completely seperate, however, it IS still a RAW. If that makes any sense. In other words, even though it's no longer semiautomatic according to the DOJ, it is still subject to at least some RAW rules, for example the transfer restrictions. But I don't know if the transport requirements still apply, or if it's only the transfer requirements that apply. Frankly, I doubt anyone else knows that answer either. We should ask CRPA/Michel what they think.

Last edited by CandG; 08-10-2017 at 10:31 AM..
Old 08-10-2017, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
There's two parts to my answer.

First - in your scenario, you're going to a target shooting range, which is a perfectly acceptable destination, you just have to make sure it's locked (either in a locking case, or in a locked trunkspace).

Second - I don't really know the answer. The thing is, it's NOT an AW while the upper and lower are completely seperate, however, it IS still a RAW. If that makes any sense. In other words, even though it's no longer semiautomatic according to the DOJ, it is still subject to at least some RAW rules, for example the transfer restrictions. But I don't know if the transport requirements still apply, or only the transfer requirements. Frankly, I doubt anyone else knows that answer either. We should ask CRPA/Michel what they think.
What I bolded is pretty much my understanding, I thought maybe you learned something that would help to answer this riddle. Any clarification you can get in regards to my question would be much appreciated...

iTrader Feedback Link
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1885547
Old 08-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bulletBarney View Post
What I bolded is pretty much my understanding, I thought maybe you learned something that would help to answer this riddle. Any clarification you can get in regards to my question would be much appreciated...
If I hear an answer, I'll also make sure to update the "what you can/can't/may do after registration" section in the OP. Likewise, if you hear anything let me know!

Old 08-10-2017, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Regarding whether a RAW is always an AW, Bill Wiese has said (repeatedly) that, in excess of a decade ago, he asked DOJ about that (regarding shipping it, but the concept holds) and was told that a (by feature) RAW isn't always an AW, and he could treat a disassembled RAW as a typical firearm.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0&postcount=30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
I did just that in 2004 (to a gunsmith in NV) for my Cat 3 Imbel FAL clone.

Again, see my post a few posts above - I was directly told by DOJ Director
and Asst Director this was OK at a DOJ Firearms publicity/outreach meeting in April of 2004 in San Jose.

As it turned out, I delivered it personally to the smith in NV, but I received it
back in two separate halves - without going thru a CA FFL dealer holding an AW permit. The upper half was the serialized barreled action and had no flash hider. The lower half was the unserialzed lower with PG and stock and fire control group.

Remember that for 2017 we really don't know what "fixed mag" is given we don't have a great handle on 'disassembly of action'. So Garands and SKSes are OK.

For even more complete clarity - esp w risk of misdirected mail - If I were sending a RAW to an outta state gunsmith, I'd send split halves and maybe removed grips/folder.
Old 08-10-2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Regarding whether a RAW is always an AW, Bill Wiese has said (repeatedly) that, in excess of a decade ago, he asked DOJ about that (regarding shipping it, but the concept holds) and was told that a (by feature) RAW isn't always an AW, and he could treat a disassembled RAW as a typical firearm.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0&postcount=30
I've read that, the thing is:

-The quoted instance is very specific that it applies to shipping it between a gunsmith and himself
-We know that this can't possibly be universally true, because you absolutely cannot transfer a RAW within CA or to a CA resident unless it is formally de-registered first.

It might be true for transportation, but I'm just not confident enough that it is, to start telling people it's ok.

Last edited by CandG; 08-10-2017 at 2:40 PM..
Old 08-10-2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:

Can you provide a link to where DOJ says the above?

The original text of the regs said the child would have to be 18 by 12/31/17 correct?

After talking with you last night and being happy about possibly adding my (soon to be 18) son as a coregister- I thought..It would suck if they extended the reg date but left the original wording about the child still needing to be 18 by 12/31/17.

Which is a possibility-correct?

Old 08-10-2017, 3:53 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
Can you provide a link to where DOJ says the above?

The original text of the regs said the child would have to be 18 by 12/31/17 correct?

After talking with you last night and being happy about possibly adding my (soon to be 18) son as a coregister- I thought..It would suck if they extended the reg date but left the original wording about the child still needing to be 18 by 12/31/17.

Which is a possibility-correct?
See part in bold below.

11 CCR 5474.1
Registration of Assault Weapons Pursuant to Penal Code Section 30900(b)(1); Joint Registration of Assault Weapons.
(a) If a firearm will be jointly registered, one family member must be identified as the primary registrant. The name and relationship of each joint registrant must be provided. Joint registrants must reside in the same household and share the same address.
(b) All joint registrants must be 18 years of age by June 30, 2018. Joint registrations are only authorized for the following family relationships:
(1) Spouses
(2) Parent to Child
(3) Child to Parent
(4) Grandparent to Grandchild
(5) Grandchild to Grandparent
(6) Domestic Partners
(7) Siblings
(c) Proof of address for each joint registrant shall be provided at the time of electronic submission. Acceptable forms of proof of address are as follows:
(1) Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit
(2) Curio and Relic (C & R) Federal firearm license with name and address
(3) Utility Bill: Cable, electricity, garbage, gas, pipeline, propane, alarm/security, or water bill with purchaser’s name on it and dated within three months of application for registration.
(4) Military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within California; (active duty military spouse ID is not acceptable).
(5) Property Deed: Valid deed or deed of trust for the individual’s property or a certificate of title
(6) Resident Hunting License
(7) Signed and dated rental agreement/contract or residential lease
(8) Trailer certification of title
(9) DMV Vehicle Registration
(10) Certificate of Eligibility, as defined in section 4031, subdivision (g) of Chapter 3.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-10-2017, 4:04 PM

Awesome thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 9:05 PM

tagged
Quote:
Click here to subscribe (rather than posting "tagged" or "subscribed").
// Librarian

Last edited by Librarian; 08-10-2017 at 11:23 PM..
Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 PM

The AW Registration Guide now has waaaay more information in it than I imagined it would when I started this - I'm sorry I couldn't keep it more concise for everyone, but there is seriously a lot of information that everyone who is registering needs to know, and I really couldn't leave any of it out. I highly recommend everyone read the whole thing before beginning registration, as well as use it as a guide while you are registering.

Additionally, since this registration guide is a constant work in progress as we continue to learn more things, I recommend everyone download the latest PDF version just prior to registering, to ensure that you have the latest info. If you're not sure that you have the latest revision, check the date in the PDF filename.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

It's damn good, and it needs to be long to be truthful. Not your fault they made it so complicated and silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 08-10-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
It's damn good, and it needs to be long to be truthful. Not your fault they made it so complicated and silly.
Thanks!

I've found that the PDF version is a lot easier on the eye, and even better if you print it out, then you can even check things off as you go, and highlight stuff that's especially relevant for your situation, or cross out stuff that isn't.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 AM
小さな女性

Quote:
C&G and anyone else who is interested. Could you possibly take screenshots of the registration process since you made it clear you are going to register if you haven't already? This would help immensely. Do 'white out' your personal information. It would show us all what the different fields look like and also if you show examples of pics it would give everyone a baseline for what to expect when taking pictures.

I realize this adds time to the process, but when taking screenshots at least from a mac, it pretty easy and reasonably quick. The editing will take time, but this could be very helpful for many.
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif

Last edited by meno377; 08-11-2017 at 10:53 AM..
Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
C&G and anyone else who is interested. Could you possibly take screenshots of the registration process since you made it clear you are going to register if you haven't already? This would help immensely. Do 'white out' your personal information. It would show us all what the different fields look like and also if you show examples of pics it would give everyone a baseline for what to expect when taking pictures.

I realize this adds time to the process, but when taking screenshots at least from a mac, it pretty easy and reasonably quick. The editing will take time, but this could be very helpful for many.
My original plan was to include screenshots, and I still might at some point.

The recent CRPA webinar does include some good screenshots of the process, which worked well for their powerpoint presentation, but I'm having trouble adding them to this Guide without making it difficult to follow along.

It's a good idea though, and I haven't given up on that concept, hopefully in the coming weeks the guide will include some good screenshots. I have some ideas I'll tinker around with

Old 08-11-2017, 1:02 PM
小さな女性

These were taken off the CRPA webinar. These do not necessarily represent the order and do not show the full registration process. This is just for reference only.

EDIT: Updated pages can be viewed on the OP's post #3, #4.
SC5.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC1.jpg (56.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg SC2.jpg (47.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg SC3.jpg (76.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg SC4.jpg (58.8 KB, 148 views)
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 08-13-2017 at 6:54 AM..
Old 08-11-2017, 1:03 PM
小さな女性

SC8.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC6.jpg (70.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg SC7.jpg (78.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg SC9.jpg (85.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg SC10.jpg (89.2 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by meno377; 08-13-2017 at 6:51 AM..
小さな女性

SC11.jpg

SC12.jpg

SC13.jpg

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY IN THE PIC BELOW. Notice the overall length field they display? It is possible that this is a trap. No one should enter into this field. If you do, they may question why you didn't register years ago. This was explained on the CRPA webinar.
SC14.jpg

SC15.jpg
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 08-11-2017 at 4:04 PM..
小さな女性

SC16.jpg

SC17.jpg

SC18.jpg

SC19.jpg

SC20.jpg
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 08-11-2017 at 1:19 PM..
小さな女性

This post is more for important informational purposes.

SC21.jpg

SC22.jpg

SC23.jpg

SC24.jpg

SC25.jpg
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 08-11-2017 at 4:05 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 1:14 PM
小さな女性

More for informational purposes regarding ammo purchases and ghost guns.

SC26.jpg

SC27.jpg

SC28.jpg
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 08-11-2017 at 2:00 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 1:40 PM

Thanks Meno - I have noticed that the options shown in some of the listboxes in the webinar are different than the options I saw when I viewed the form myself.

For instance, the only choice for weapon type now is "semiautomatic", the other options aren't there anymore.

So I need to grab new screenshots I think.

Old 08-11-2017, 5:49 PM

Default AW Registration - The Complete Guide (everything we know so far)

I am planning to joint register my rifles with my wife. She doesn't own a firearm or ever tried to buy one. She doesn't know of any reason she can't own one and I don't suspect there is a reason, but stranger things have happen with the DOJ, so let's say I file the joint registration and she comes back as prohibited. What can possibly happen to her, me or my rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
I am planning to joint register my rifles with my wife. She doesn't own a firearm or ever tried to buy one. She doesn't know of any reason she can't own one and I don't suspect there is a reason, but stranger things have happen with the DOJ, so let's say I file the joint registration and she comes back as prohibited. What can possibly happen to her, me or my rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The warning when you submit your registration says that if you fail the background check, you must relinquish all your firearms. However, since your wife doesn't own any, you won't have to relinquish any as long as she does not have access to them (ie, locked in safe and she doesn't know the combo).

Have her perform a firearm eligibility check before you register - it will tell you whether or not she is prohibited, without risk of needing to relinquish any weapons. If she passes that, then proceed with AW registration.

Old 08-11-2017, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

-The child needs to be 18 to possess an AW, so it might be a bad idea to submit your registration before their 18th birthday, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
-When YOU (the primary) registers, you'll need to list your child as a joint applicant, list "parent to child" as the relationship, and upload their proof of residency.
-Then, your child needs to make a CFARS account and do exactly the same process again, listing "child to parent" as the relationship, and reference your CRIS number that you got when you registered as the primary.
-They'll need to pay another $15, and they'll need to upload all the same firearm photos and proof of residency that you already did.

In reference to bold above... I called the DOJ twice today and was told that registration is only done by the primary and that the child does not need to register after or open a CFARS account.

Which is it?

Rasyad
Old 08-11-2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
The warning when you submit your registration says that if you fail the background check, you must relinquish all your firearms. However, since your wife doesn't own any, you won't have to relinquish any as long as she does not have access to them (ie, locked in safe and she doesn't know the combo).

Have her perform a firearm eligibility check before you register - it will tell you whether or not she is prohibited, without risk of needing to relinquish any weapons. If she passes that, then proceed with AW registration.

Doesn't that check take months? Wouldn't it be quicker to just have her buy a gun?
Old 08-11-2017, 6:39 PM

So if I have pink eye I can register.
Old 08-11-2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHCA View Post
So if I have pink eye I can register.
Apparently you can not know your race, eye color, hair color, perhaps more. But if you don't remember the name of someone you bought something from a decade or more ago...

NO UNKNOWN FOR YOU!!!
Old 08-12-2017, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

In regards to engraving the serial number and other information on the home builds. Does it have to be the city that you currently live in or the one you resided in when you built the firearm? I've changed cities twice now since building the 80% that I plan on registering.
Old 08-12-2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Doesn't that check take months? Wouldn't it be quicker to just have her buy a gun?
The problem is, it's technically a crime to try to purchase a gun if you're prohibited. It's extremely rare for someone to be charged with anything just for failing a background check buying a gun, but it *can* happen.

You've got almost a year to register, and DOJ says the Firearms Eligibility Check takes about 60 days, so you've got plenty of time.

If there is any question that someone *might* have issues with the background check, I would highly recommend doing a risk-free firearms eligibility check before proceeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Register View Post
Apparently you can not know your race, eye color, hair color, perhaps more. But if you don't remember the name of someone you bought something from a decade or more ago...

NO UNKNOWN FOR YOU!!!
Ya, it makes as much sense as their position that you can change every single part of a firearm and it will still be the same firearm, except for the magazine release button - if you change that, it's a totally different firearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
In regards to engraving the serial number and other information on the home builds. Does it have to be the city that you currently live in or the one you resided in when you built the firearm? I've changed cities twice now since building the 80% that I plan on registering.
DOJ regulations say:

The city and state (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where the manufacturer made the firearm.

I would interpret that to mean the city in which you performed the work finishing your receiver, which in your case is not the city you live in currently. I just revised the OP to make that a little more clear.

Last edited by CandG; 08-12-2017 at 9:07 PM..
Old 08-12-2017, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome, thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 AM

Screenshots of the registration form have been added to the relevant portions of the Guide.

Also fixed some errors, added some new info, etc.

Printer-friendly PDF revised as well - I recommend printing in color if you can.

Old 08-15-2017, 8:18 AM

Added some info to clarify what to do about bullet-button shotguns purchased legally between Jan 1 and Aug 1, 2017. Also cleaned up the PDF a bit.

If anyone has any questions to ask, experiences to share, or has any information that isn't included in the Guide, feel free to post here.

Old 08-15-2017, 8:40 AM

Has anyone attempted to register a Tavor/bullpup -featureless, but considered an "AW" since it doesn't not have permanent muzzle extension to reach above 30"+ in overall length?
Old 08-15-2017, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echopapa View Post
Has anyone attempted to register a Tavor/bullpup -featureless, but considered an "AW" since it doesn't not have permanent muzzle extension to reach above 30"+ in overall length?
I'm not sure if anyone has tried yet, but to my knowledge nobody has had an application approved for anything as of yet - once that starts happening we'll have a better idea of what DOJ will allow and what they won't.

The recommendation for bullpups, right now, is to bring the OAL to 30" by adding a stock extension of some sort. If the gun doesn't measure 30" or longer without the muzzle device, then the muzzle device has to be permanently installed - but that requirement doesn't apply to devices on the other end of the gun. I am not sure what specific products might accomplish that, though.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone has tried yet, but to my knowledge nobody has had an application approved for anything as of yet - once that starts happening we'll have a better idea of what DOJ will allow and what they won't.

The recommendation for bullpups, right now, is to bring the OAL to 30" by adding a stock extension of some sort. If the gun doesn't measure 30" or longer without the muzzle device, then the muzzle device has to be permanently installed - but that requirement doesn't apply to devices on the other end of the gun. I am not sure what specific products might accomplish that, though.
Thanks - yeah, trying to look for stock extensions for my X95, but no luck.