Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum This is a temporary forum for discussion, debate, sharing and helping each other during and in relation to the Coronavirus/COVID19

Old 08-04-2020, 7:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Why we're keeping our kids home this school year

Our school district has this 'plan' for the school year:
- First month is stay-at-home for everyone
- After that you have a choice: 1. Return to the classroom OR 2. Stay at home and do zoom calls

We picked (2) for our kids. They're teens.

"But SD, aren't in support of schools opening? Don't you think the covid is a Hoax? Isn't covid harmless for kids?" Yes, yes, and yes.

Here are the restrictions if a kid goes back to school:
- Classrooms are 'distanced' (only partially full)
- Classrooms wiped down all the time
- Everyone has to wear masks, all the time
- If a kid is sick, school closed for 4 days
- Mandatory testing

Our kids said they'd be happy to go back if things were allowed to be normal, they could have lunch with their friends and if they didn't have to wear masks. When I found out about the panic closure upon finding a 'case' and the mandatory testing I was convinced it's not worth it.

The kids are old enough to teach themselves at home upon being presented with the materials.

I feel sorry for the parents that both work and now much figure out how to arrange child care. Or send their kids to school anyway and have them endure all the panic-induced measures. Ugh.
Old 08-04-2020, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

How does the "Mandatory testing" work? Is it something like in Logan's Run where if you run from the Cootie Cops they'll chase after you with a fist full of extra long Q-tips & hold you down if you don't want to be tested?

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 08-04-2020, 8:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDHD? View Post
How does the "Mandatory testing" work? Is it something like in Logan's Run where if you run from the Cootie Cops they'll chase after you with a fist full of extra long Q-tips & hold you down if you don't want to be tested?
Knee to the neck
Old 08-04-2020, 8:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
- After that you have a choice: 1. Return to the classroom OR 2. Stay at home and do zoom calls

"But SD, aren't in support of schools opening? Don't you think the covid is a Hoax? Isn't covid harmless for kids?" Yes, yes, and yes.

- Mandatory testing

Our kids said they'd be happy to go back if things were allowed to be normal, they could have lunch with their friends and if they didn't have to wear masks. When I found out about the panic closure upon finding a 'case' and the mandatory testing I was convinced it's not worth it.

The kids are old enough to teach themselves at home upon being presented with the materials.

I feel sorry for the parents that both work and now much figure out how to arrange child care. Or send their kids to school anyway and have them endure all the panic-induced measures. Ugh.
I hear you man. I have three and they're not as old as yours, so it's been really hard on them. We've tried to keep them on a schedule, let them have regular play dates so they're interacting with friends. Take little excursions to get them away from home, etc. etc. But all of this uncertainty and confusion is taking a toll on everyone, especially the young children.

We're not in SDUSD but a lot of my work is with that district. I was told they polled parents and something like 60% wanted their kids to return to full time school. Only 10% wanted full time online learning. So they gave them only online. And Newsom is "working with" the teacher's union. Hmmmm, seems to me they're pandering to their special interests and not the constituents/parents/kids they so loudly proclaim they are.

It's ridiculous. Thankfully my wife is home, so we have a way easier time than a lot of folks. And I've continued to work so we're not out of an income. A lot of kids just quit school once it was shut down, probably because there wasn't a parent at home to help them.

It's sad. I don't want a single kid/parent/grandparent to die from catching Covid. But I don't want a single kid/parent/grandparent to die from anything. But shutting schools down, or at least not allowing parents an option is not the answer. If a teacher doesn't want to work unless the police are defunded, or universal medicare, or whatever...then they can stay home and collect unemployment like the rest.
John 10:10

iTrader: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1888351
Old 08-04-2020, 9:20 AM

Wait, the world is now upside down. Sd_shooter is sounding like a virus freaker. At least the title sure seemed that way.

With the amount of virus around, I doubt the school will even be open much given those rules.
Old 08-04-2020, 9:34 AM

Default Logically

Our kid school is going to be online only because Covid is dangerous. The parks and rec district is going to offer care for kids so their parents can work. So I called to ask about it.

Me: So the schools are going to be closed because its safer? But you are offering care for our kid.

Rec: Yes. We are going to have the rec people assist your child with virtual learning with their chromebook.

Me: So you are going to teach our child in person, but the teachers can't.

Rec: OH! No were not going to Teach! We're not saying we're teachers! We just help them use their chromebook to do their online learning.

Me: .... ok.

Rec: We're also going to make it easier on you by holding the care at your child's original school.

Me: ........

Rec: Sir?

Me: But I thought you said kids weren't going to school because it was dangerous.

Rec: ...

Me: OK. So obviously you are holding the care outside under Ez-ups to maintain distancing and stop the spread?

Rec: OH no sir! We can't do that. There are people with allergies in the fall.

Me: .... ..... Ok. ... Thank you. Goodbye.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 AM

This is a great response by your city.
Understand that Newsome has threatened the schools in most counties, if they go back to teaching in person, he has said he could withhold their funding.
They have come up with an alternate plan. At least they are trying.

Churches need to do the same thing.

Your kid cannot learn in a day care. Technically, it won't work.

What other solutions will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45_ACP View Post
Our kid school is going to be online only because Covid is dangerous. The parks and rec district is going to offer care for kids so their parents can work. So I called to ask about it.

Me: So the schools are going to be closed because its safer? But you are offering care for our kid.

Rec: Yes. We are going to have the rec people assist your child with virtual learning with their chromebook.

Rec: OH! No were not going to Teach! We're not saying we're teachers! We just help them use their chromebook to do their online learning.

Me: .... ok.

Rec: We're also going to make it easier on you by holding the care at your child's original school.

Me: But I thought you said kids weren't going to school because it was dangerous.

Me: OK. So obviously you are holding the care outside under Ez-ups to maintain distancing and stop the spread?

Old 08-04-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offspring View Post
This is a great response by your city.
Understand that Newsome has threatened the schools in most counties, if they go back to teaching in person, he has said he could withhold their funding.
They have come up with an alternate plan. At least they are trying.

Churches need to do the same thing.

Your kid cannot learn in a day care. Technically, it won't work.

What other solutions will work?
I was pointing out the double standard of how dangerous covid is.

If its too dangerous to teach at school around other kids, it's also too dangerous to have care at the same school around other kids.

Solution that would work:

1. Online learning accessible anytime. A plan setup by the teachers that doesnt require being "online" at specific times.

2. Teachers offer virtual (FaceTime, zoom, etc) flexible office hours for kids/parents questions.

The community colleges have been doing online only successfully for over a decade.

My point is if it's about safety let's actually be safe. Not just make it safe for the Teachers that don't have to be at the schools.

Also I forgot to mention that the rec department is charging for this service. So paying taxes for school, and charged for care to help with school that they closed.

Last edited by .45_ACP; 08-04-2020 at 10:25 AM..
Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 AM

Headline News: They found two teens in FL who died and had covid. These massive headlines are most certainly to share the news for all to see; no agenda related.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tw...D=ansmsnnews11

Its a rough time in the USA.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Headline News: They found two teens in FL who died and had covid. These massive headlines are most certainly to share the news for all to see; no agenda related.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tw...D=ansmsnnews11

Its a rough time in the USA.
Underlying condition
Quote:
The girl, who had pre-existing conditions including spina bifida and hydrocephalus, died from COVID pneumonia, the report said.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I was pointing out the double standard of how dangerous covid is.

If its too dangerous to teach at school around other kids, it's also too dangerous to have care at the same school around other kids.

Solution that would work:

1. Online learning accessible anytime. A plan setup by the teachers that doesnt require being "online" at specific times.

2. Teachers offer virtual (FaceTime, zoom, etc) flexible office hours for kids/parents questions.

The community colleges have been doing online only successfully for over a decade.

My point is if it's about safety let's actually be safe. Not just make it safe for the Teachers that don't have to be at the schools.

Also I forgot to mention that the rec department is charging for this service. So paying taxes for school, and charged for care to help with school that they closed.
It's what were stuck with for now. My concern is what about poor families without access to high speed internet and computers? High speed internet is $70 a month in my neck of the woods, some of these families can barely afford rent. The poor kids are the ones the benefit most from schooling too.
The school closures are the toughest situation in mind.

The benefits to school are huge and very well known. The costs in intellectual development of a lost year of school to kids is going to be massive. Is it counterbalanced by the benefit of limiting viral spread in a community? I don't know, but I lean towards sending at least k-5 kids back to school were the learning loses are biggest and utility of online learning is limited. You can utilize all the buildings in a district to maintain tiny class sizes and social distancing, (I don't know how you enforce masks and social distancing among 6 year olds) and only volunteer/low risk teachers for just this small segment of the student body relatively safely. Also it gives you a much smaller population to test and the younger kids seem least vulnerable to Covid and seem to spread it less. My thinking is typical economist thinking, focus limited resources where you'll receive the greatest benefit, while incurring the least costs.

Last edited by balgor; 08-04-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Old 08-04-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balgor View Post
It's what were stuck with for now. My concern is what about poor families without access to high speed internet and computers? High speed internet is $70 a month in my neck of the woods, some of these families can barely afford rent. The poor kids are the ones the benefit most from schooling too.
The school closures are the toughest situation in mind.

The benefits to school are huge and very well known. The costs in intellectual development of a lost year of school to kids is going to be massive. Is it counterbalanced by the benefit of limiting viral spread in a community? I don't know, but I lean towards sending at least k-5 kids back to school were the learning loses are biggest and utility of online learning is limited. You can utilize all the buildings in a district to maintain tiny class sizes and social distancing, (I don't know how you enforce masks and social distancing among 6 year olds) and only volunteer/low risk teachers for just this small segment of the student body relatively safely. Also it gives you a much smaller population to test and the younger kids seem least vulnerable to Covid and seem to spread it less. My thinking is typical economist thinking, focus limited resources where you'll receive the greatest benefit, while incurring the least costs.

I agree.
I'm all for sending kids back.

Again I was pointing out the fact that the only difference was that the Teachers weren't physically going back. And that if it was just about safety it doesn't make sense to still go back to school. The only ones SAFER are the teachers. (Working from home).

Parents get to pay for the teachers to be safer. Their kids are still physically going to school.

In regards to no access to internet.
They were giving all kids chromebooks or other device for free So im sure they could give an access to internet along with it if people needed it. The money printing press is set to turbo anyway.

Edit: Just checked the email on picking up the chromebook. "If you don't have access to wifi or internet at your home please contact the office." So it looks like internet will be provided to whomever says they need it.

Last edited by .45_ACP; 08-04-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Old 08-04-2020, 12:40 PM

Our school district will only be doing distance learning and my wife has had to make arrangements with her work to only part time so she can "teach" our kids. We'll be losing a little over a thousand dollars a month. It could be worse but it still sucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2020, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Same deal as my kids school. And a lot of the real teachers will be inside their classrooms on the same property, alone, doing their zoom classes.
So can we call the adults working in the day care "Undocumented Teachers"?

Old 08-04-2020, 2:06 PM

Many teachers don't want to be in the classroom but some school-boards are mandating they return.

Tough situation, worry about my grand-kids.

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 08-04-2020, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

First day of school in Georgia, this’ll end well

Old 08-04-2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashycrashy View Post

I give that school 30 days MAX, before they have a massive outbreak.
Old 08-04-2020, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Paulding county, GA
Old 08-04-2020, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Maybe it will end well.

What's a 'breakout'? A bunch of 'cases'? (stuffy noses)

So have those kids stay home until they feel better. BFD. They're not going to die from this. They probably won't even get a headache.
Old 08-04-2020, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

My little guy is too young for school but we pulled him out of daycare and hired a nanny. We didn’t want to keep getting hit with the daycare closing and reopening. Childcare that isn’t reliable is kinda useless. What are all the parents going to do when week 3 the schools all close and they don’t have child care lined up?
Old 08-04-2020, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Knee to the neck

Unless it's already taken- this will soon be someone's CG user name.

Old 08-04-2020, 3:48 PM

School districts are funded by attendance, if your child is home schooled, there should be no payment to the schools.
If I had children I would not want them to be indoctrinated into the school system.
You can teach them
Better by yourself.
And there are many people would would love to get paid to teach/tutor
Old 08-04-2020, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe it will end well.

What's a 'breakout'? A bunch of 'cases'? (stuffy noses)

So have those kids stay home until they feel better. BFD. They're not going to die from this. They probably won't even get a headache.
Stuffy noses.. that they bring home to the family... which perpetuates the cycle.
Old 08-04-2020, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Israel, one of the first countries to do so, illustrates the dangers of moving too precipitously.

Confident it had beaten the coronavirus and desperate to reboot a devastated economy, the Israeli government invited the entire student body back in late May.

Within days, infections were reported at a Jerusalem high school, which quickly mushroomed into the largest outbreak in a single school in Israel, possibly the world.

The virus rippled out to the students’ homes and then to other schools and neighborhoods, ultimately infecting hundreds of students, teachers and relatives.

Other outbreaks forced hundreds of schools to close. Across the country, tens of thousands of students and teachers were quarantined.

Israel’s advice for other countries?

“They definitely should not do what we have done,” said Eli Waxman, a professor at the Weizmann Institute of Science and chairman of the team advising Israel’s National Security Council on the pandemic. “It was a major failure.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/w...ls-reopen.html
Old 08-04-2020, 6:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I can't find anything on SDUSD's site about their FTF reopening plan. As far as I can see, the district remains closed and will be online only.
https://www.sandiegounified.org/

"Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization."
Old 08-06-2020, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The school administrators are doing the rational thing after seeing the photos...

They are threatening any student with criticizing the school on social media with suspension.

This’ll end well.
Old 08-06-2020, 7:58 AM

Quote:
And while some MAY get sick I bet 0 ZERO die.
Old 08-06-2020, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad to see Utah schools back in session in 2 weeks. A few birthday parties over the summer as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2020, 9:03 AM

So it's ok for other people's kids to go, but not yours. Got it.
Old 08-07-2020, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Mrs. SD_Shooter said no now he has to come here and do mental gymnastics why his kids aren’t going school.
Old 08-09-2020, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
9 tested positive this last week at the school:

https://www.ajc.com/education/9-case...DQMXX337AQEWI/
Old 08-09-2020, 7:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Mrs. SD_Shooter said no now he has to come here and do mental gymnastics why his kids aren’t going school.
Our kids don't want to have lunch by themselves. None of their friends are going either. The school is not open, it's like a sick ward. ("Wear a mask or you'll be suspended!")
Old 08-09-2020, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Stuffy noses.. that they bring home to the family... which perpetuates the cycle.
Yes, the cycle of a virus that is innocuous to children and healthy adults. A cycle of get it once and you are immune. We need to break the "cycle" of fear mongering and end this charade. The only way to stop the virus is to allow the healthy to get it. The irrational fear of this virus is politically motivated, not factual. Duh.....shelter the elderly and infirm.

He is also closing private schools. There is a threat there but it is not funding. The county health officer also has authority to close all schools public and private. So in liberal county, like Santa Cruz, no school. Those county health officer play ball with Newsome.
Old 08-09-2020, 8:37 AM

Quote:

So what?

Last edited by Scota4570; 08-09-2020 at 1:24 PM..
Old 08-09-2020, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

You aren’t one of those guys with a bunker under their house are you?

99.7% survival rate. Those kids have a higher probability of dying walking or driving to school.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 08-09-2020, 9:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

- Mandatory testing

Is your district following more what Hays or Travis is doing? WISD is a little different. We are sending our kid back, at least at first. They said we can change after a few weeks if we don’t like it. They have some of that BS too but I’ve also been told that’s just on paper and they won’t really enforce much or any of it. Nobody wants to send their kids to an environment worse than prison. I suspect that would cause a number of teachers or administrators to get beaten up, and rightfully so.
Old 08-09-2020, 9:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Oh noes! All those sniffles! Won’t somebody think of the Kleenex!
Old 08-09-2020, 9:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
And creates even more stuffy noses! Oh the humanity!
Old 08-09-2020, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Any time that I can get my two son’s azzes in a classroom I’ll take. Any opportunity that I can get them the F-out of the house and interacting with other kids and teachers I MUST take advantage of. They can adapt to the B.S. rules.
Old 08-09-2020, 1:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Good idea. I wouldn't want to make my kids wear stupid masks all day.