Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-15-2019, 8:34 AM

Default 50BMG/DTC bullet puller. CH4D or RCBS

I am using a pipe flaring tool right now and it works great for exception of leaving some pull marks. Looking at some point buying a real puller from either CH4D or RCBS. Which one should I get?
Old 04-15-2019, 9:14 AM

I've used a pipe flaring tool with rubber inner tube inserts, and it solved the problem of leaving pull marks. I used it to pull some really old sealed M33 apart. No marks! If I was to get a collet puller however, I would personally get the RCBS off Amazon and try it out for 30 days just because you can return it hassle free. If the RCBS didn't work out for me I'd get the CH4D of which should be better quality.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct_Editz View Post
I've used a pipe flaring tool with rubber inner tube inserts, and it solved the problem of leaving pull marks. I used it to pull some really old sealed M33 apart. No marks! If I was to get a collet puller however, I would personally get the RCBS off Amazon and try it out for 30 days just because you can return it hassle free. If the RCBS didn't work out for me I'd get the CH4D of which should be better quality.

Hmm Ive been using an inner tube too but have been getting slight bite marks. Any particular brand or thickness inter tube?

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-15-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
Hmm I've been using an inner tube too but have been getting slight bite marks. Any particular brand or thickness inner tube?
These sealed bullets I had were a pain in the a** to pull apart.

I probably used 1/16" thick inner tube wrapped around twice or more. I made sure it was clean and squishy. I went the next size up on my flaring tool to fit the extra material inside it and clamped it down REALLY good, using a wrench on the wing nut to really get it clamped down. These things took a lot of force to pull apart, but since the flaring tool was the next size up it never came close to the bullet.

The main problem that I had was the rubber slipping off, But I could see the rubber taking off the tarnish on the old bullets so that goes to show how much force was required. I eventually got all 6 apart without marks, but it took a lot of jolting to get em loose, after that I put the rubber on one last time and they pulled apart without slipping. To reduce slippage you might try: Electrical tape, as it might provide more friction between the flaring tool and the bullet. Or supergluing the inner tube to the bullet, then removing the glue with acetone.

Last edited by Distinct_Editz; 04-15-2019 at 2:46 PM..
Old 04-18-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct_Editz View Post
These sealed bullets I had were a pain in the a** to pull apart.

I probably used 1/16" thick inner tube wrapped around twice or more. I made sure it was clean and squishy. I went the next size up on my flaring tool to fit the extra material inside it and clamped it down REALLY good, using a wrench on the wing nut to really get it clamped down. These things took a lot of force to pull apart, but since the flaring tool was the next size up it never came close to the bullet.

The main problem that I had was the rubber slipping off, But I could see the rubber taking off the tarnish on the old bullets so that goes to show how much force was required. I eventually got all 6 apart without marks, but it took a lot of jolting to get em loose, after that I put the rubber on one last time and they pulled apart without slipping. To reduce slippage you might try: Electrical tape, as it might provide more friction between the flaring tool and the bullet. Or supergluing the inner tube to the bullet, then removing the glue with acetone.

Thanks for the feedback. Due to financial constraints, I will stick to the flaring tool.
Old 04-19-2019, 3:59 AM

My brother wanted to pull a few and didn't have a puller so I suggested a cable cutter. The marks were just tiny little lines in the jacket, smaller marks than the surplus pulled bullets he buys.

Something like this. https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-...ers-61422.html

Run the cartridge up so the bullet is above the press, grip the bullet with the cutter laying on the press, pull the case down; it's super fast & easy. You can grip it right at the edge of the case so the marks are nearly invisible when you re-seat, or above the bearing surface if you're concerned with them having an impact in engagement with the barrel. We did it together, but should be easy to do solo.
Old 04-19-2019, 4:03 AM

I think the ones we did were his reloads and not sealed military stuff, but not sure. Worth a shot, if it works well it is a very fast easy method. And if you don't have cable cutters, it's an excuse to add something to the toolbox.
Old 04-19-2019, 4:12 AM

My brother wanted to pull a few and didn't have a puller so I suggested a cable cutter. The marks were just tiny little lines in the jacket, smaller marks than the surplus pulled bullets he buys.

Something like this. https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-...ers-61422.html

Run the cartridge up so the bullet is above the press, grip the bullet with the cutter laying on the press, pull the case down; it's super fast & easy. You can grip it right at the edge of the case so the marks are nearly invisible when you re-seat, or above the bearing surface if you're concerned with them having an impact in engagement with the barrel. We did it together, but should be easy to do solo.