Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 12-17-2018, 1:47 PM

Default Elcan or Acog for Scar17

So I want to add some glass to my Scar17. I think I have narrowed it down to either a Elcan Specture dr 1.5x6 or an Acog (not sure still what model)
I am pretty new to the world of optics So any advice is much appreciated.

I'll be shooting at paper or steel targets anywhere from 50-600 yds at most. Either prone of off a bench.

Thank you in advance to all the reply.
Old 12-17-2018, 3:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I believe the Elcan just looks right on the SCAR and I got my 1.5x6 directly from manufacturer on sale with shipping for like 1989.00.
Old 12-17-2018, 4:56 PM

IMO ACOG if you want absolute durability and reliability, Elcan only for a clone or if you want the most Internet forum cool points. If it will mostly live in the safe the Elcan should work fine. Personally unless you want an ACOG (which are awesome) I'd say get a Vortex Razor Gen 2 E 1-6 or up the magnification to something like a Nightforce 2.5-10 or a 3-15. On a lesser budget the Vortex PST line is great for the money or pick up a used Leupold mark 4.

Also, I don't know if you care about ranging with a reticle, but first focal plane you can use it throughout the magnification levels where second focal plane your reticle/bdc/whatever will only be accurate at max magnification

ETA: fair warning, once you use nice glass, you won't go back to cheap glass

Last edited by Ej6fade; 12-17-2018 at 5:01 PM..
Old 12-17-2018, 6:24 PM

That short ACOG eye relief and 308 recoil don't mix well.
Old 12-17-2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
That short ACOG eye relief and 308 recoil don't mix well.
Depends on which ACOG; and if you know how to shoot properly off hand, prone, bench, whatever, its a non-issue, especially on a SCAR. Its not like its going on a 300 win mag or a 338
Old 12-17-2018, 9:37 PM

elcan 1.5-6

Armament has a crazy sale right now.

https://armament.com/elcan-inventory-sale

I have the 1.5-6 on my 17 and shot out easily to 600 yards at Los Angeles shooting range.

Last edited by basket of deplorables; 12-17-2018 at 9:47 PM..
Old 12-18-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej6fade View Post
IMO ACOG if you want absolute durability and reliability, Elcan only for a clone or if you want the most Internet forum cool points. If it will mostly live in the safe the Elcan should work fine. Personally unless you want an ACOG (which are awesome) I'd say get a Vortex Razor Gen 2 E 1-6 or up the magnification to something like a Nightforce 2.5-10 or a 3-15. On a lesser budget the Vortex PST line is great for the money or pick up a used Leupold mark 4.

Also, I don't know if you care about ranging with a reticle, but first focal plane you can use it throughout the magnification levels where second focal plane your reticle/bdc/whatever will only be accurate at max magnification

ETA: fair warning, once you use nice glass, you won't go back to cheap glass
So you are saying that Acog is more sturdy then the Elcan as far as taking abuse ?Is this from experience or hearsay? I have read that Scar's have also been know to chew up Vortex scopes that is why i have not really considered them. If i go the Nightforce route i think by the time I add scope mount's i'll be over my set budget.

I do like the the idea of a first focal plane on a scope.
Old 12-18-2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Fred View Post
So you are saying that Acog is more sturdy then the Elcan as far as taking abuse ?Is this from experience or hearsay? I have read that Scar's have also been know to chew up Vortex scopes that is why i have not really considered them. If i go the Nightforce route i think by the time I add scope mount's i'll be over my set budget.

I do like the the idea of a first focal plane on a scope.
Yes, I'm saying the ACOG is more durable; I have shot both and the Elcan is nice but I was luke warm to it. I personally don't have the experience with hardcore abusing either firsthand, but have a couple close friends I've known since we were kids that kick in doors for a living overseas and based on their experiences they have told me basically run away from the variable elcans because they break all the time and are an all around unreliable optic; YMMV, but I'll take their word for it because it's what they do and they have to depend on their gear, it doesn't just see the range a few times a year. I've seen the same reports on AR15.com and M4C over the years, again largely from dudes that put down bad guys for a living.

SCARs are known for chewing up everything, Vortex, aimpoint, etc. pick one you like that fits your budget and just be ready to use their customer service
Old 12-19-2018, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

If you go with the ACOG, I recommend getting one with more eye relief that's calibrated for 308.
Old 12-19-2018, 9:40 AM

I like low power variable optics and believe they are the most versitile, I haven't used Elcan so can't say anything about that specifically, but have used NF 1-4x and Strike Eagle 1-6x and variables are great, but I recently picked up a 4x Acog to try and love it more than I thought I would, glass is insanely clear and I hit out to 600 yards no problem at Angeles. Will start training BAC method for close quarters. Number one complaint on Acog is the eye relief but it's no problem for me since I just added a cantilever mount.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Another factor for you.. Neither have diopters. So, look through them before you buy.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 AM

I don't have a Elcan but you're welcome to try my Acog at the range if you're by Angeles.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:20 AM

Trijicon Acog +1
Old 12-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Acog +1, ran them back in Marine days and they great to operate and tough as heck.
Old 12-21-2018, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
I don't have a Elcan but you're welcome to try my Acog at the range if you're by Angeles.
Thank you for the offer that would be great!. I'll send you a message after the holidays and see if we can make that happen.
Old 12-21-2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I believe the Elcan just looks right on the SCAR and I got my 1.5x6 directly from manufacturer on sale with shipping for like 1989.00.
How do you like it so far ?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So far its great, got a laser bore sight for 308 and it is good quality glass. I obviously haven't used it in a combat situation but I'm happy with the looks and it gets alot of attention at the range because it looks expensive.
Old 12-25-2018, 7:21 AM

My SCAR 17 sights through the Acog TA55A (Acog 5.5x50 .308 BDC Red BAC) and wound not change it for anything!
Old 12-25-2018, 3:54 PM

Vortex Razor HD 1-6x

/thread
Old 12-27-2018, 3:08 AM

You should look into Nightforce NX8 1-8x or ATCR 1-8x. Great glass and also weight is not as bad. I used to run Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x, built like a tank and also weigh like a tank.
Old 12-27-2018, 3:50 AM

ACOG’s are known to be more reliable than iron sights. My trainer wrote an article for the USMC using their data.

Nightforce makes excellent optics and I prefer variable magnification so long as it has true 1x.

I stayed away from Elcan after researching issues with their products. They are probably just fine now as this was years ago. I recommend products you’re interested in if you are going to spend lots of money.

As for “Vortex /thread” ... NO. You are wrong. It is decent glass for the money but that is all.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
As for “Vortex /thread” ... NO. You are wrong. It is decent glass for the money but that is all.
I guess the Vortex Razor HD's aren't good enough according to your high Calgunner operator standards.

But apparently guys in CAG have been using these for a while now over other LPVO. Before you say it's due to cost, keep in mind their JSOC budget lets The Unit purchase any COTS item available.

Old 01-11-2019, 4:54 PM

Just purchased an Elcan Specter DR 1.5/6 for my new Scar 17. How do you guys like it? Was it a good choice?
Old 01-11-2019, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

I’m using the Vortex 1-6 on my 17, so far so good.
Old 01-11-2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan521 View Post
Just purchased an Elcan Specter DR 1.5/6 for my new Scar 17. How do you guys like it? Was it a good choice?
love it. also have it on my 17.
excellent choice!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 PM

Never heard about a single SOG guy complain about an Elcan on their 7.62, ever, YMMV. Know many in the groups.
Old 01-12-2019, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooYah View Post
I guess the Vortex Razor HD's aren't good enough according to your high Calgunner operator standards.

But apparently guys in CAG have been using these for a while now over other LPVO. Before you say it's due to cost, keep in mind their JSOC budget lets The Unit purchase any COTS item available.
Isn't the guy on the right a bit old? Uniform looks new and clean to me. Not saying he's not the real deal of some kind, but that photo looks staged. Why no blurred faces?
Old 01-13-2019, 5:11 PM

You’ll want a telescoping optic like a Vortex Razor Gen II or ATACR. The ACOG is a phenomenal optic, in fact it is my preferred optic as I have taught thousands of Marines with the platform. However, there’s no denying it is antiquated. The Elcan is either fixed power or throw lever between two. I have observed that the best performing units at Marine Corps marksmanship competitions had made the move to telescoping as well. You aren’t going to aim down your sights indoors anyway.

ODA’s with SCARs have overwhelmingly swapped to telescoping. They’re just infinitely more adaptable.

Sources: Personal experience

Last edited by Ahmad; 01-13-2019 at 5:15 PM..
Old 01-13-2019, 5:19 PM

Acog served me well for 3 years on my scar. Selling it for $850 now if you decide to go that route. I just upgraded to an Elcan specter TR 1-3-9
Old 01-13-2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Rock_AR View Post
You should look into Nightforce NX8 1-8x or ATCR 1-8x. Great glass and also weight is not as bad. I used to run Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x, built like a tank and also weigh like a tank.
This is good advice. The Razor is fine and great for the money. If it’s too heavy hit the gym, it’s cheaper than buying a nightforce and you get bigger guns.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Isn't the guy on the right a bit old? Uniform looks new and clean to me. Not saying he's not the real deal of some kind, but that photo looks staged. Why no blurred faces?
Not a staged photo. There's been a lot of pics of SOF in Syria with unblurred faces. Here's one of the blurred shots.

As for the guy's age, SGM Chris Nelms (RIP) was 46 when he passed. The Unit has some senior enlisted operators with 25+ years of experience. Dudes like that become a Troop SGM and can't be replaced easily.