Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:19 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Default Backpack plate help

I have a Vertx Gamut Plus that I use daily for work, and there are times that I travel in less than ideal areas. During those times, I usually carry one of the Spartan Armor AR650 back pack plates. The plate is currently mounted via heavy duty double sided tape to the rigid plastic panel that came with the bag, which is obviously not ideal. Does anyone have a better method to hold the plate higher up to the more vital area? The plate is 10x13", the plastic sheet it is currently taped to is 14x18", roughly. The Gamut Plus has a built in sleeve for this plastic panel, which is where the plate/panel currently sits when needed. I'm open to any suggestions, but it needs to still pass through TSA. Thanks for your time.

Jerry
Old 09-17-2020, 10:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
I have a Vertx Gamut Plus that I use daily for work, and there are times that I travel in less than ideal areas. During those times, I usually carry one of the Spartan Armor AR650 back pack plates. The plate is currently mounted via heavy duty double sided tape to the rigid plastic panel that came with the bag, which is obviously not ideal. Does anyone have a better method to hold the plate higher up to the more vital area? The plate is 10x13", the plastic sheet it is currently taped to is 14x18", roughly. The Gamut Plus has a built in sleeve for this plastic panel, which is where the plate/panel currently sits when needed. I'm open to any suggestions, but it needs to still pass through TSA. Thanks for your time.

Jerry
I don't have a better option, but I feel the frustration. Adding a custom spacer works with those plastic panels because duct tape will stick really well... you don't see it anyway. I suggested to LAPG to add a long and wide canvas strap with hook and loop inside the pocket... that would make it adjustable inside the pocket to whatever 10-15" long panel you'd use in a pack to get it right at the top so it sits where a good PC puts a plate.

Maybe you can get a strap with hook and look sewn in.
Old 09-18-2020, 1:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Or glue velcro if it's a flat plate. Velcro will hold a surprising amount of weight, enough to stick a dwarf on a wall.
Old 09-18-2020, 2:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Or glue velcro if it's a flat plate. Velcro will hold a surprising amount of weight, enough to stick a dwarf on a wall.
Yeah that would work too. I liked the canvas strap that's sewn in and covered with loop with hook panel sewed to other side of pocket because you can adjust for any fit just about and not mess with the plates.

I saw this on a few soft armor carriers.

I'll most likely pick up a few 11x14 IIIA panels or IIIA+ if I see them.
Old 09-18-2020, 2:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah there are IIIA panels that are rectangular, but would cause fitment issues at top of a pack... I went with 11x14 a IIIA+ panel that has the shooter cut edges at top.

Seems like BOTACH likes those VERTX packs enough to make one for you. 11x15

https://botach.com/battle-steel-leve...rtx-backpacks/

The spacer I mocked up for the LAPG packs measures 10x16.5" Wow... I guess I will still need a spacer, filler or velcro.

Last edited by crufflers; 09-18-2020 at 2:23 PM..
Old 09-18-2020, 2:17 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yeah there are IIIA panels that are rectangular, but would cause fitment issues at top of a pack... I went with a IIIA+ panel that has the shooter cut edges at top.

Seems like BOTACH likes those VERTX packs enough to make one for you.

https://botach.com/cart.php?suggest=...1-1899e70a44e5
Those are unfortunately only IIIA, I'm looking for something that can stop rifle rounds, like a III+ that I have currently. I looked at thiese though, as a viable option as it's lighter and bigger, but they don't make one that fits my bag anyway, so it'd sit too low. Thanks for the link though.
Old 09-18-2020, 2:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Buy a thick sheet of kydex and cut it to the size and shape of your backpack. Position the ballistic plate on the kydex to the height you want, mark and then cut some slots to run some straps thru.
Old 09-18-2020, 2:29 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
Buy a thick sheet of kydex and cut it to the size and shape of your backpack. Position the ballistic plate on the kydex to the height you want, mark and then cut some slots to run some straps thru.
Yes, I ordered a sheet of .125" kydex to try out. I was going to see if I could buy sheets of hook/loop and go that route so that the kydex doesn't' shred up the bag from the inside out.

Thank you all for your input!
Old 09-18-2020, 2:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
Those are unfortunately only IIIA, I'm looking for something that can stop rifle rounds, like a III+ that I have currently. I looked at thiese though, as a viable option as it's lighter and bigger, but they don't make one that fits my bag anyway, so it'd sit too low. Thanks for the link though.

Yeah no problem... I know my kid would not carry steel plate... but 1 pound or 1.5 pound is pretty invisible and not noticeable. 11x15 would cover the vitals and a lot more on a kid. IIIA+ stops 57... maybe a Level III UPE plate would be good for packs, lots of options.