Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2018, 2:31 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrotter View Post
I am getting a lot of conflicting information on whether reloading components are affected by this new law.

So a simple question: can california residents buy bullets, powder, brass, primers from out of state? With no restrictions.
YES.

Components are not affected by the new law.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 AM

Default Moving to CA: can I bring ammo with me?

I live in the Midwest. I am planning to move to CA sometime in 2019. I have read this whole thread, and quite a few others relating to ammo as well. I still have a couple of questions:

I own a good bit of ammo, in large part because both of my sons are competition shooters.

* Can I bring all this ammo that I already own when I move into CA?

* Or do I have to bring it in before I move into CA?

* Is there a specific to bring it in to make sure that I won't run into trouble with CA? I am trying to do everything 100% cleanly and above boards, with no risk whatsoever.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts. If this helps, one of my sons is already living in CA (he is going to college there), but is not a resident yet. He could easily become one though.
Old 01-21-2018, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOfPecos View Post
I live in the Midwest. I am planning to move to CA sometime in 2019. I have read this whole thread, and quite a few others relating to ammo as well. I still have a couple of questions:

I own a good bit of ammo, in large part because both of my sons are competition shooters.

* Can I bring all this ammo that I already own when I move into CA?

* Or do I have to bring it in before I move into CA?

* Is there a specific to bring it in to make sure that I won't run into trouble with CA? I am trying to do everything 100% cleanly and above boards, with no risk whatsoever.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts. If this helps, one of my sons is already living in CA (he is going to college there), but is not a resident yet. He could easily become one though.
The law about bringing ammunition into the state 9nly applies to residents. As long as you are not a resident when you bring it in you are good to go.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockhead View Post
Anyone know of an out-of-state online vendor that will ship to those that are exempt?

By exempt I assume u mean 03FFL+ COE

Take a look here

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1406001
Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averse View Post
I saw a turner's ad today that said they charge a transfer fee based on the purchase invoice price and "applicable sales tax'.

If I order ammo from out of state and transfer through Turner's I also have to pay CA sales tax on it? I don't see anything about sales tax in the OP.

I asked Turner's online and they said:

"We have to charge you tax based on the invoice
This is only for online transfers
State board of equalization"

They were kinda dodgy in their answers and I'm still unclear when and where "applicable sales tax" applies to buying ammo online from an out of state retailer and transferring through a CA FFL like Turner's.

Anyone know what this is all about?

Thanks!
In a nutshell, the California BOE requires that sales tax or use tax be paid on ALL purchases (not just ammo), including those from out of state.

Regarding Life and Death:
"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

The BIG question: "What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?" Matthew 27:22b
Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Cook View Post
In a nutshell, the California BOE requires that sales tax or use tax be paid on ALL purchases (not just ammo), including those from out of state.
It's so convoluted, I'm trying to wrap my brain around it. Espeically after reading about it here: https://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/outofstate.htm

"The Board of Equalization (BOE) encourages businesses to voluntarily register and pay use tax obligations due the State of California. The Voluntary Disclosure Program provides incentives for unregistered out-of-state companies to satisfy their use tax obligations."
Old 01-22-2018, 1:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Does an ammo vendor or ffl charge sales tax on ppt sale of ammo in their place of business.

Last edited by edgerly779; 01-22-2018 at 1:20 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 1:38 PM

short answer is no. we only tax what is on your invoice. the transfer fee is a ‘service’ and isn’t subject to the use tax. which is why we’re asking for the invoice so we can charge accurately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-23-2018, 3:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am asking about ftf private party sales in store that has no invoice. Store logs nothing correct. I haveammo i purchased in ca and paid tax on and am now selling.
Old 01-23-2018, 6:53 AM

no tax on ppt on ammo

Old 01-26-2018, 5:29 PM

I have read through the whole thread. I do have an 03 FFL C&R and a COE.

1) Can I purchase ammo online from one of the vendors listed in this thread and have it shipped to my house? (The answer from that thread appears to be "yes".)

2) Can I have a buddy in another state ship me loaded ammo?

2a) Does it make a difference whether he loaded it or purchased it?

2b) Do I have to provide him with copies of my C&R FFL or COE? (I presume the answer would be "no", that the risk - and burden of proof - would be strictly on me)

Last edited by schnellfeuer300; 01-26-2018 at 6:04 PM..
Old 01-27-2018, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

Can I sell ammo out of state (say to a Nevada resident) if I deliver it in Nevada?

Have a fair amount of 7.62 x 54R and 8x57 surplus ammo that I'm beginning to think I will not shoot.
Old 01-27-2018, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellfeuer300 View Post
I have read through the whole thread. I do have an 03 FFL C&R and a COE.

1) Can I purchase ammo online from one of the vendors listed in this thread and have it shipped to my house? (The answer from that thread appears to be "yes".)

2) Can I have a buddy in another state ship me loaded ammo?

2a) Does it make a difference whether he loaded it or purchased it?

2b) Do I have to provide him with copies of my C&R FFL or COE? (I presume the answer would be "no", that the risk - and burden of proof - would be strictly on me)
Yes
Yes
No
No

By virtue of you 003 and COE exemption you can receive ammunition from any one that can ship it to you.
Old 01-27-2018, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Can I sell ammo out of state (say to a Nevada resident) if I deliver it in Nevada?

Have a fair amount of 7.62 x 54R and 8x57 surplus ammo that I'm beginning to think I will not shoot.
Stupid California laws do not apply outside of the state.
Old 02-05-2018, 6:11 PM

Question Question about bundling ammo with an offer to sell a used gun by PPT

A while ago I saw someone in the private WTS forum who offered to sell a pistol PPT with some ammo bundled with it. After New Year's he removed the ammo from the offer, citing legality concerns. I'm wondering if those concerns are in fact valid -- since the PPT will be conducted through an FFL, and it appears that the FFL can handle the ammo transfer as well (if they are willing, perhaps with a fee).

I'm in a similar situation. I have a .380 ACP pistol that I want to sell and I'd like to bundle all the .380 ammo I have (~250 rounds) with it since I'm getting out of that caliber altogether. Would I be running afoul of some Penal Code somewhere, even if the ammo is transferred by the same FFL who handles the PPT?
Old 02-05-2018, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Sell them the gun and do the ppt at an ffl as usual, then "gift" the person the ammo face to face. Read the first post carefully.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:19 PM

Asking this question here since the private ammo sales forum is closed.

Was at a relative's house this evening and helping to go through boxes of her spouse who has passed. In doing so we found several tins of commemorative shotgun ammo that look to be from the late 80s (?). It appears they are worth several hundred dollars per other like Internet sales examples in the last couple of years. So the question came up "how does she sell/get rid of it?"

Am I correct that per Prop 63 she (or anyone) can:

- sell to a private party in CA using a PPT like transaction at a licensed ammo vendor who can charge a fee
- sell directly to a FFL 03 with COE without the licensed ammo vendor
- sell directly to a licensed ammo vendor
- sell directly and ship or take it out of state to someone without licensed ammo vendor
- sell directly to a direct relative (also spouse but in this case not applicable) without ammo vendor
- gift to anyone without renumeration and without licensed ammo vendor

Is this a correct summary? Am I missing or mistaken about anything?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
not wanting to wade through all this.
but it is known the ca doj does spy on stores and gun shows looking for ca residents. just outside of ca.
From what I have seen that has not been proven. It also makes no sense for something that is a simple infraction level offense. The cost of doing it is not justified based on the amount of the maximum $250 fine. It is in the same class of violation as a jay walking ticket.
Old 02-06-2018, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Sell them the gun and do the ppt at an ffl as usual, then "gift" the person the ammo face to face. Read the first post carefully.
Thanks for the note. I did go back and read the messages in this thread, as well as reading through the PC. It's still very confusing, and I guess that's the point of (deliberately?) poorly written laws. In any case, even assuming that face-to-face gifting is legal (which it appears to be to my reading of it), if I advertise the firearm and the ammo together (something along the line of "Buy this gun, and I'll give you X rounds of ammo as a gift"), I still am not sure that the transfer of the ammo counts as a gift in the eyes of the law.

I think I'll play safe and ask the FFL to oversee/record the ammo transfer and pay a fee.
Old 02-08-2018, 9:50 AM

Hello,

Just read through the thread and saw someone ask about PPT transfer before the 2019 background check.

As I read it you need to use a LAV to transfer ammo PPT, How do I sell to someone face to face when the background checks have not taken place?

I have called 3 local shops and they all seem to not know anything about ammo transfer until 2019 and seem to think its OK to sell face to face but the way I read the law clearly states it is not.

Have someone interested in my AMMO and any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Also should mention I would be shipping it to him or his vendor if needed.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2018, 7:23 PM

how much ammo is it? if you transfer over 500 rds in a month you need the vendor permit.

Old 02-09-2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsdude View Post
how much ammo is it? if you transfer over 500 rds in a month you need the vendor permit.

Quote:
30342 (a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a valid ammunition vendor license shall be required for any person, firm, corporation, or other business enterprise to sell more than 500 rounds of ammunition in any 30-day period.
(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
It is a 30-day period, not a calendar month.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did a few searches on this thread and the larger CA Law thread and I cannot find what I am looking for related to ammo purchasing with friends.

Can I and say, 4-5 friends from the area order in bulk together from online sources to save money? Assuming we are shipping to an FFL store or someone with an 03/coe? We wouldn't be re-selling them once we get them, just divvying them up accordingly. But we are buying in a group and I am not sure if that is a problem officially or not.

Between friends or between forum buddies, is there a way we may run afoul of the new law (or older ones)?
Old 02-15-2018, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

That's how black powder sales are done today within clubs. You may or may not know, BP sales between Unlisenced Subjects is forbidden in Our Great State.
Old 02-19-2018, 6:53 AM

So now that the Calguns ammo sale forum has re-opened I have to ask, can I sell ammo to a C&R FFL who has a COE as long as I sell less than 500 rounds per 30 day period? If so, can I ship it to the C&R FFL + COE holder or does the transfer have to be face to face?
Old 02-19-2018, 7:11 AM

Smile

If you need to group-purchase with your friends, you're buying too little

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
I did a few searches on this thread and the larger CA Law thread and I cannot find what I am looking for related to ammo purchasing with friends.

Can I and say, 4-5 friends from the area order in bulk together from online sources to save money? Assuming we are shipping to an FFL store or someone with an 03/coe? We wouldn't be re-selling them once we get them, just divvying them up accordingly. But we are buying in a group and I am not sure if that is a problem officially or not.

Between friends or between forum buddies, is there a way we may run afoul of the new law (or older ones)?
Old 02-22-2018, 9:23 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on whether “percussion cartridges” such as offered by Buffalo Arms are still ok to mail order?

These consist of paper, powder, ball, but no primer or priming of any type.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/ammuniti...sion-revolvers
Old 02-23-2018, 9:02 AM

The way I read this, per PC 30312(C)(6), If I have an 03FFL and a COE, I can buy ammunition from an individual, without involving a vendor, and they can legally sell to me, provided, as per PC 30342, that they don't sell more than 500 rounds in a 30 day period, is that correct?

Or does PC 30312 supersede PC 30342, and render the 500 round limit invalid?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwr56 View Post
The way I read this, per PC 30312(C)(6), If I have an 03FFL and a COE, I can buy ammunition from an individual, without involving a vendor, and they can legally sell to me, provided, as per PC 30342, that they don't sell more than 500 rounds in a 30 day period, is that correct?

Or does PC 30312 supersede PC 30342, and render the 500 round limit invalid?
I think 30312 (c)(6) allows you to buy (from any seller) any amount of ammo without having to go through an LAV. (My understanding is that 03FFL + COE doesn't qualify yourself as an LAV, so you can't conduct a transfer for other people unless you become an LAV yourself.)

30342 applies to the seller, i.e., if one sells >500 rounds in a 30-day period, one must get a license, regardless of whom he sells to.
Old 03-25-2018, 8:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ok, it's late and I'm reading this really fast on a tablet so sorry if I missed it.

Has the state determined what the fee a LAV/FFL can charge for a PPT of ammo?

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 03-25-2018, 8:41 PM

UG Imports said DOJ cited PC 30364 and said the fee would be $10 per transaction: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1410115 (The info may be a bit dated.)

Last time my FFL charged me $5 when I did a DROS PPT + ammo transfer together ($40 total). Based on my own experience and what's been reported around here, not all FFLs are willing to do ammo transfers -- obviously, and understandably, $5 or $10 is not worth their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Ok, it's late and I'm reading this really fast on a tablet so sorry if I missed it.

Has the state determined what the fee a LAV/FFL can charge for a PPT of ammo?

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 3:38 PM

I have 465 rounds of .45 Winchester Mag that I want to sell to a private party, can I do this face to face with 2 different transactions as long as each one is less than 250 rounds per?

If not, and it has to go through a ammo licensed vendor, is there a MAXIMUM amount the vendor can charge for the transaction?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2018, 4:37 PM

You can sell all 465 rounds at once, as long as you don't exceed the limit of 500 rounds in a 30-day period. You have to do it through a licensed ammo vendor, unless the buyer is exempt (e.g., being an LAV or 03FFL+COE).

From what I've observed, it seems that $5 is the state-mandated limit per ammo PPT transaction, though earlier I had seen the figure $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
I have 465 rounds of .45 Winchester Mag that I want to sell to a private party, can I do this face to face with 2 different transactions as long as each one is less than 250 rounds per?

If not, and it has to go through a ammo licensed vendor, is there a MAXIMUM amount the vendor can charge for the transaction?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auffie.hk View Post
You can sell all 465 rounds at once, as long as you don't exceed the limit of 500 rounds in a 30-day period. You have to do it through a licensed ammo vendor, unless the buyer is exempt (e.g., being an LAV or 03FFL+COE).

From what I've observed, it seems that $5 is the state-mandated limit per ammo PPT transaction, though earlier I had seen the figure $10.
Gun place locally said 10 cents PER round!
Old 03-31-2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
Gun place locally said 10 cents PER round!
That doesn't sound right for a PPT. Are they talking about receiving a shipment e.g. of an Internet order? Even that sounds pretty steep.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 10:45 PM

Default Can you purchase ammo from a private individual?

Hey Guys,

I'm curious if it is legal to purchase ammo from a private individual based on the new laws. They aren't an ammo dealer...they just have a bunch of spare ammo they want to get rid of...
Old 05-26-2018, 5:10 PM

Default whats the deal with ammo sales face to face?

ive heard conflicting laws that they can be sold face to face till July but ive also read that any ammo purchase has to go through an FFL?

I have a lot of ammo that i don't have guns for anymore and im not looking to make money on it but I don't want to run afoul of the law.

i apologize if this has beat to death but im reading conflicting results

Thanks. Sucks having ammo for guns i don't have anymore
Old 05-26-2018, 5:22 PM
Administrator

See the former sticky, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ght=ammunition

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-26-2018, 5:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

just go to the store and buy some
PPT of ammo have to be done at an ffl/ammo dealer, no one would ever not do it in front of one

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 05-28-2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGunny View Post
ive heard conflicting laws that they can be sold face to face till July but ive also read that any ammo purchase has to go through an FFL?

I have a lot of ammo that i don't have guns for anymore and im not looking to make money on it but I don't want to run afoul of the law.

i apologize if this has beat to death but im reading conflicting results

Thanks. Sucks having ammo for guns i don't have anymore
Everything in the text reads sales. I don't see where it addresses transfer, give or lending. The only language that does include that, refers to internet transfers. Ive been combining through the text too.

Last edited by NuGunner; 05-28-2018 at 9:52 PM..