Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-02-2020, 6:04 PM
Banned

Default RMR or Holosun on Glock installation question

As the title says, i want to upgrade from open sights to one of those.
What mods should I make to my Glock in order to be able to install it?
Is it some machine work or just some adapters purchase, or both?
Thank You
Old 09-02-2020, 7:02 PM

Laser blade engraving does slide milling, according to their social media, they have a 7day turn around.
Old 09-02-2020, 7:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You can get your slide milled. This drops the dot down to lower 1/3 witness with suppressor sights

EGW Gun works makes an insert that replaces the rear sight. Optic mounts on top of that. To me, if you are willing to buy a $500 sight, then get a set of supressor sights and mill your slide. Or buy a milled slide from brownells

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 09-02-2020, 7:41 PM

You have three options. 1.) Buy an adapter that goes in dovetail instead of rear sight. It's the cheapest way but you are losing your conventional sights; 2.) Send slide to reputable milling company who will mill you slide or 3.) Buy milled slide from ZEV, Brownells, etc.

For option Nos 2 and 3 you will also need a set of supressor sights. You will not need any adapter for those options, only Sealing Plate ($10), that might come with RMR, not sure.

Last edited by PartizanBel; 09-02-2020 at 7:46 PM..
Old 09-02-2020, 8:14 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2020, 5:36 AM
Veteran Member

If it's a duty/HD gun RMR is the way to go with a milled factory Glock slide. I'm trying out a Holosun 407C and so far it seems very robust, very bright and durable. The great thing is the Holosun and RMR have the same footprint so upgrading is a simple swap.

BattleWerx is 89.00 ad 60 tp nitride your slide. Their work include recoil/rezero bosses, channel liner. re assembly at no extra charge. They do exceptional work.

Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

"If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"

Last edited by Munny$hot; 09-05-2020 at 5:42 AM..
Old 10-01-2020, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post

BattleWerx is 89.00 ad 60 tp nitride your slide. Their work include recoil/rezero bosses, channel liner. re assembly at no extra charge. They do exceptional work.

Yep and this slide just got back after spending some time with them. I can not be happier with their communication or how well the optic fits.

Old 10-02-2020, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftone View Post
Yep and this slide just got back after spending some time with them. I can not be happier with their communication or how well the optic fits.

Sweet. BattleWerx is my go to for slide milling. They're a top notch company, their machining, prices, CS, and low prices is unbeatable for what get.

Old 10-04-2020, 8:39 AM

subscribing. great info
Old 10-04-2020, 1:40 PM

If you're adding an optic, milling is affordable but once you start adding slide cuts as well then its cheaper to get an aftermarket slide like the zev duty with a discount or brownells.

This way you keep your original slide in case you want to sell your gun then recoup some of the cost. Otherwise your $ is sunk in labor cost. For me, aftermarket is the better way since i want to keep resale value. Cost to cut + slide cut = basic after market slide with rmr cut.

I also do not use backup sights. It depends what your purpose is. If its a duty weapon then it's probably good to have irons. Otherwise, not necessary for red dots. If you go for the secondary slide, depending on what you do you can keep your sights and swap slides when you're done and clean the rmr and put the stock slide. Otherwise, the red dot is gtg, change the batteries every so often.

Last edited by ikeo; 10-04-2020 at 1:42 PM..
Old 10-04-2020, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen way to many fail to extract/feed problems with aftermarket slides, springs, connectors, etc. The problems range from out of tolerance slides/parts can result in the extractor sitting too deep or at a different angle causing problems and constant broken extractors. If you want Glock reliability you need to stick with Glock factory parts especially if you maybe defending your/or a love ones life. Sure everyone's after market parts have millions upon millions of rounds through it without a hicup, but if you ever see a Glock having problems It'll probably be one with aftermarket upgrades on it.

Old 10-05-2020, 1:37 PM

I personally feel you get a better fit with a milled install. Bottom line is if you will be going this route go with what makes you comfortable.

For me it would be custom milling on my Glock slide. I have handled aftermarket slides and they tend to be "showy" and if that is the look you want - cool.

For me I don't need showy, I just need them to work. I have two with RMR's one milled by Battle Werx and one by ATEi. Happy with both.