Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM

What is the current total time for permit now? County and city
Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 PM

With recent crime I think it is time to file mine. Is there a thread that gives the step on applying. Example are classes done before seeing them or after?
Old 01-28-2014, 9:06 AM

I'm in fresno county & I didn't have to put any references, nor did my neighbors get any visits. It took me about 7 months to schedule my first appointment.
Old 02-22-2014, 2:20 PM

I had to wait 2 months for my initial appointment. Which was last Friday 2/14/14 and I got my approval letter from the Sheriff today 2/22/14. Going to take the class next week. Then I need to make an appointment to go in for the test, finger prints, etc.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 02-22-2014, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationsMostWanted View Post
With recent crime I think it is time to file mine. Is there a thread that gives the step on applying. Example are classes done before seeing them or after?
you can do it before, but if you are denied your'e out the cost of the class. They say to wait until you are approved.

You can contact the Sheriffs office for an application, or download it from their site. Call to set up an appointment and they will guide you through the whole process. Its not hard, just takes a long time. My Initial interview was only about 10 minutes. The questions they ask are pretty basic.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."

Last edited by thayne; 02-22-2014 at 2:30 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thayne View Post
you can do it before, but if you are denied your'e out the cost of the class. They say to wait until you are approved.

You can contact the Sheriffs office for an application, or download it from their site. Call to set up an appointment and they will guide you through the whole process. Its not hard, just takes a long time. My Initial interview was only about 10 minutes. The questions they ask are pretty basic.
So send paperwork in and wait for interview? How many interviews did you have to do before approval?

dos anyone know according to fresno website certain criminal records disqualify a person from getting one, but if a person is legally allow to purchase and own a gun does that mean they are ok?

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 02-25-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
So send paperwork in and wait for interview? How many interviews did you have to do before approval?

dos anyone know according to fresno website certain criminal records disqualify a person from getting one, but if a person is legally allow to purchase and own a gun does that mean they are ok?
Fresno Sheriff Office does not want you to send in the paper work. Fill it all out except don't sign and date it bring it with you to the first interview.
I called yesterday, got a voicemail left message. They called me back this morning. My first interview is May 19th.

I don't know if Fresno PD is different or the answer about disqualification. Sorry
Old 03-09-2014, 10:27 AM

With PD, you download the form and fill it out...then call for an appointment to drop it off. I literally called on a Wednesday and went in on Thursday. They will review your app and if they give the thumbs up, it goes to Dyer. Once approved, you will receive a notice in the mail telling you to make another appointment to drop off your references and pay the process fee. I was able to get in the following day as well. You will also get a form to take with you for your Live Scan. You make an appointment for that, pay that fee and start making arrangements for your certification. Then you wait for the DOJ and the PD background check. The process up to this point took a little over 2 months...
Old 03-12-2014, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

My renewal date is coming up very soon. Two year flew by so freaking quick!!!!
I talked to Ed Torres a week or two ago and he said it's going to cost me $25 for City of Fresno and $50 for DOJ. Is this what over cities/counties charge for renewals?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 View Post
I talked to Ed Torres a week or two ago and he said it's going to cost me $25 for City of Fresno and $50 for DOJ. Is this what over cities/counties charge for renewals?
The Sheriff's website says:

"Take the CCW 4-hour renewal course ... and pay your renewal fee ($77.00)."

NRA - Life Member | NRA Certified Instructor
SAF - Life Member | CRPA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Old 05-24-2014, 1:54 PM

Got my approval letter today.
That was fast ( 5 ) days from first interview to letter received. Now have to wait until Tuesday to call for written test and fingerprinting. ( took two months for first interview )
My Timeline:
3/6/2014 Filled out Application and Called for Appointment
3/7/2014 They called me back, Appointment May 19th 9:30 AM
5/19/2014 First Appointment (took about 15 minutes)
5/24/2014 Received approval letter
5/27/2014 Called for Written test and fingerprints
6/13/2014 25 question true and false Test, Fingerprints and paid $208 fee ( Cash or MO, no checks) Told would take 8 weeks for the permit to arrive.
7/3/2014 Got permit in mail. Both paper and plastic card. Post dated until 8/13/2014.
Done in just under 4 months. 5 months from the time I started until I have a valid permit.

Last edited by FresnoRob; 07-03-2014 at 5:11 PM.. Reason: Edit to reflect my timeline
Old 05-25-2014, 6:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeckett View Post
Got my approval letter today.
That was fast ( 5 ) days from first interview to letter received. Now have to wait until Tuesday to call for written test and fingerprinting. ( took two months for first interview )
Did they require you use more than "self-defense"/"personal protection" to have adequate Good Cause?

Have FCSD applicants received their CCWs using only "self-defense" as Good Cause?
Old 05-25-2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Did they require you use more than "self-defense"/"personal protection" to have adequate Good Cause?

Have FCSD applicants received their CCWs using only "self-defense" as Good Cause?
I do have good cause so can't speak from personal experience. Sorry. I do believe that the Fresno County Sheriff issues more CCW permits than any other county in California.
Old 05-28-2014, 9:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
The answer is - it depends.

If you want a CCW, then get your appointment set ASAP and go apply.

If you want to help reform Fresno's unlawful policy, then standby.
Is this still the case? I assume in the context this means that Sheriff Mims of the FSO is accepting "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause. Correct?

If so, I think a quote of it should be edited into the OP (and add an "Alert" symbol if SD = GC).

Last edited by Paladin; 05-28-2014 at 10:26 PM..
Old 06-12-2014, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

I just elaborated a little on self defense and had no problem getting my CCW. My appointment was 2/14/2014 so it may be different now.

Last edited by thayne; 06-12-2014 at 2:08 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 11:17 AM

Took me over a year, due to mostly my own "dragging of feet" due to financial issues. But. the initial appointment to turn in app took only a few days, that was last year. I received my letter to proceed with DOJ and such from FPD Chief within a few weeks after that, from that point I sat idle until 01/14. Paid fees got finger printed for DOJ and received call from PD around the end of April or beginning of May that I was good to go. Finished my CCW course with The Range last night and have my appt with Ray Monday to get my permit. All in all, I'd say minus my personal delays, process took maybe 4 months. I believe mostly due to DOJ delays. Just glad it's over, now need to start shopping for a holster.
Old 08-06-2014, 7:22 AM

Default 8/14 CCW Timeline

I called for my 1st appt back in mid June, they scheduled me for 8/5. Spoke with the gentlemen at my initial appt for about 15 minutes tops. He had me sign the completed form I brought in, copied my CDL and explained the process to me.

Basically he said he would recommend to the Sheriff (Mims) the permit be issued, unless something popped up on my history. He advised I schedule my CCW class asap and as soon as I received the certificate to call and schedule the 2nd meeting and test. He said the wait time on that appt is about 3 weeks right now.

I've had several friends get in quicker than the initial 6 week wait for my 1st appt. At this point the whole process is down to about 3-4 months start to finish.

Last edited by DRPoolio; 08-25-2014 at 4:10 AM..
Old 08-07-2014, 9:17 AM

If you live in Fresno city limits then PD is the way to go! I believe Ed Torrez told me that the Sheriff and PD are about the same time frame, 4 months and a chunk of that is waiting on DOJ. He's hoping to see it come down to 2 months. He told me that getting them approved isn't the problem, the problem is they want more people to apply! So pass the word!
Old 08-25-2014, 4:12 AM

Default **Update**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPoolio View Post
I called for my 1st appt back in mid June, they scheduled me for 8/5. Spoke with the gentlemen at my initial appt for about 15 minutes tops. He had me sign the completed form I brought in, copied my CDL and explained the process to me.

Basically he said he would recommend to the Sheriff (Mims) the permit be issued, unless something popped up on my history. He advised I schedule my CCW class asap and as soon as I received the certificate to call and schedule the 2nd meeting and test. He said the wait time on that appt is about 3 weeks right now.

I've had several friends get in quicker than the initial 6 week wait for my 1st appt. At this point the whole process is down to about 3-4 months start to finish.

Once I took my class I was able to get the 2nd and final meeting with the county in less than 1 week. From initial interview to last will be less than a month, not sure how long the permit will take to arrive. This is awesome, if you're considering a CCW in Fresno county, now is the time.
Old 08-25-2014, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPoolio View Post
?...From initial interview to last will be less than a month, not sure how long the permit will take to arrive. This is awesome, if you're considering a CCW in Fresno county, now is the time.
My time from initial interview to the second about the same as yours.
I got the permit in about 3 weeks and it was post dated so had to wait 5 more weeks until it was valid.
Old 09-02-2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoRob View Post
My time from initial interview to the second about the same as yours.
I got the permit in about 3 weeks and it was post dated so had to wait 5 more weeks until it was valid.
Sounds familiar Rob, I did my test and Livescan today and they said 4-6 weeks for the permit and card to arrive. My guess it arrives earlier than they say.

August 5th - Sept. 2nd, that's fantastic!
Old 09-22-2014, 9:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhjr1973 View Post
If you live in Fresno city limits then PD is the way to go! I believe Ed Torrez told me that the Sheriff and PD are about the same time frame, 4 months and a chunk of that is waiting on DOJ. He's hoping to see it come down to 2 months. He told me that getting them approved isn't the problem, the problem is they want more people to apply! So pass the word!
It looks like FPD accepts SD = GC.

GOOD CAUSE DETERMINATION
Good Cause is defined as any citizen concerned for the safety of themselves, their family and friends or their employees. An investigation will be conducted into the applicant’s statement of good cause. The determination of good cause should consider the totality of circumstances in each individual case.
(emphasis added)
From: http://www.fresno.gov/Government/Dep...s/ApplyCCW.htm

Does FSO also accept Self Defense as sufficient Good Cause w/o more? It does not go into Good Cause at:
http://www.fresnosheriff.org/communi...w-permits.html

Last edited by Paladin; 09-22-2014 at 10:18 PM..
Old 09-23-2014, 6:06 AM

I got mine this last year took me two months from start to finish. My sister and I did ours at the same time, while she had to wait a couple extra months. I believe they push certain people threw the system faster than others. my sister just an ordinary citizen while I'm a ffer. They basically gave us both every reason to have a ccw in our interview. Very laid back, only thing I hate is the gun limit and how you have to pay every time you take or add a gun on your permit. Apply now it's a good time still from what my friends in the sheriff depart says. Even my city guys saying it's fairly easy to get in the city too now.
Old 10-08-2014, 7:09 PM

I called the Sheriffs Office this morning and got my first appointment interview in a little under two weeks. As I work for the state, I figured this is a good time to apply as many employes are Not on vacation this month and are busy getting work caught up before the coming holidays. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the process keeps moving forward quickly.
Old 10-09-2014, 9:20 PM

My timeline for FCSD is:
Called for 1st appt Aug 10th
Sept 3rd I dropped off my app
Sept 17th got my approval letter from Mims
Sept 24th and 25th took my CCW class
Oct 1st completed my fingerprinting, paid fees
I was told it should be sent in the mail within the next couple of weeks.
I have to say the deputy's were very helpful, cooperative and the whole process has been a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Twitter @2ACivilRights
Old 10-13-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdblu View Post
My timeline for FCSD is:
Called for 1st appt Aug 10th
Sept 3rd I dropped off my app
Sept 17th got my approval letter from Mims
Sept 24th and 25th took my CCW class
Oct 1st completed my fingerprinting, paid fees
I was told it should be sent in the mail within the next couple of weeks.
I have to say the deputy's were very helpful, cooperative and the whole process has been a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I'm planning to do mine tomorrow, you didn't have to interview or wait?

Edit- called and my appointment is in two weeks. So fast

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 10-14-2014 at 9:01 AM..
Old 10-14-2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
I'm planning to do mine tomorrow, you didn't have to interview or wait?

Edit- called and my appointment is in two weeks. So fast

When i called in August and got my appointment in sept I was shocked. I thought they were going to tell me next February or something.

Then when I finished my CCW class I called the next day on a Thursday and had my 2nd interview/ fingerprinting the next weds. It was so much faster than I expected.

The " interview" sounds a lot worse than it is. I thought I had to sit in front of a panel or something. But dropping off the app, 1st interview and fingerprinting 2nd were very informal. It takes place in the hallway of the front entrance of the sheriffs office downtown. Now I am sure they are looking at you to see if you act like a nut or thug. But I have nothing but good things to say about them. You have to take a test. Its all common sense stuff. Kinda like your HSC test but with some CCW stuff sprinkled in. After that the deputy walks you across the street to fingerprinting, pay $208 (cash) and that's it.

Btw I took my CCW class at The Range. It's every Tues for 2 hours and Weds for. 4 hours with no appointment needed. The cost is. $75 plus you need 50 rounds of ammo. You don't need to be a marksman, just hit the paper at 7 yards. They are just looking to see if you handle it safely.

Follow me on Twitter @2ACivilRights
Old 10-14-2014, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

^^

I'm calling tomorrow!
Old 10-14-2014, 8:26 PM

Same thing for Tulare.
Old 10-15-2014, 6:27 AM

First call got me an interview 10 days later.
Received my letter of approval one week after my interview.
Obtained my certificate.
Called for test and fingerprinting last thursday, appointment tomorrow (one week after call).
Then it will be up to DOJ...
My stepson started his process a few weeks before I did, and got his card in under a month after submission to them.

Looking like a 2 month total process at this time in Fresno County.

I agree with what was said above. The deputies that I have talked to and been interviewed by, have been awesome.
Old 10-15-2014, 7:04 AM

I went through it 3 years ago and was lucky to get it done in 6 mo.
Friend just went through and he was done in 3 mo.
Fresno Sheriff, btw.

"Can any of you seriously say the Bill of Rights could get through Congress today? It wouldn't even get out of committee." – F. Lee Bailey
Old 10-15-2014, 5:25 PM

Omg I filled it all out yesterday. Today i get a speeding ticket...so now I have to add it onto my application. Do you guys know if that affects their decision.

After reading through more on ccw. Looks like on application it's asking for everything in the past. I have had a trouble past 12 years ago but the past 11 years has stayed out of trouble and able to purchase and own firearms. I listed my list of things from 12 years ago to show I have nothing to hide. Hopefully I do well in my interview

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 10-15-2014 at 9:23 PM..
Old 10-28-2014, 2:52 PM

I had a three year old speeding ticket, which I disclosed on the application.

Deputy didn't care at all.
Old 10-28-2014, 6:56 PM

Received my letter stating my app was accepted. I need to take my CCW class now.
Old 10-29-2014, 8:07 AM

I did my interview today. Such nice people at sheriff's dept.

How many days usually when you get letter of approval or denial
Old 10-29-2014, 1:16 PM

For me, one week exactly
Old 10-29-2014, 5:02 PM

Was one week exactly for me as well. Fresno Sheriff Office.
Old 11-07-2014, 9:05 PM

Yup a week and I got my results. What instructor is the best price to do in Fresno area?
Old 11-07-2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Yup a week and I got my results. What instructor is the best price to do in Fresno area?
Range pistol club, $75 every Wed. & Thurs night. Third Sat of the month, all day.
Old 11-07-2014, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danap View Post
Range pistol club, $75 every Wed. & Thurs night. Third Sat of the month, all day.
Is it a large class? I read on their site I need to bring all the guns I plan to have on my license?