Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-28-2023, 6:02 AM
Veteran Member

Default S&W 500

Hi,

Planning on buying a S&w 500 revolver in 8 3/8 inch, I just like the behemoth size of the gun but intimidated with the recrecoil. Never shot anything other than 9mm and 45acp.

Is the recoil really bad with lighter loads? Please advice.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2023, 6:06 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

May as well go BFR in 444 Marlin or 45-70. Cowboy load 45-70 is pretty tame.
Old 11-28-2023, 6:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They’re not really fun to shoot, a novelty gun in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2023, 6:51 AM

They are fine. I find a 44 mag more unpleasant to shoot than my 500. If you plan on shooting one on a regular basis, reloading is the best option with this caliber. I mostly stick with 350 or 500 grain.
Old 11-28-2023, 7:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hand cannons are fun, for a few shots. 44 magnums hurt the most if you ask me. If you want on, try a friends first if they have some various types for you to get a feel for the various guns and recoils they produce with different types of loads.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have four X-frames, two 500s and two 460s. The recoil is stout, but not nearly as bad as people expect. Lock your wrists, let the gun push your whole arms up, use your shoulders to transfer the recoil to the body weight. Don't forget, they also come with massive compensators.

A much harder and unpleasant gun to shoot would be a .357 ultralight J-frame. I'll let novices shoot 500, but I won't let anyone shoot the full power out of 360PD.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Separately, if you're not set on 500, consider also a 460. It's very similar power and recoil, but you can shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt (45 LC) without modifications. That way, if you don't like the recoil or the cost of 460, you can plink with 45 Colt and it feels like .22.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:27 AM

The first few times you shoot your new 500, only load one round........

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."
Roy Batty
Old 11-28-2023, 10:30 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I'd never talk someone out of buying a gun but I would borrow or rent one and put a few rounds through it before buying one, if you haven't already. They are really fun for a few rounds and then you put it away and shoot something more practical. With the cost of ammo, even if reloading for any of these hand cannons, they are all relegated to a novelty gun IMHO.

If that's what you want, go for it but there is a reason that there are always plenty of used hand cannons on the market with one cyclinder worth of ammo having ever been shot through it. I like IVCs recommendation, much more practical. .45 LC is a fun caliber and you can modulate your level of fun easily in reloading and it's easy to reload for.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
I'd never talk someone out of buying a gun but I would borrow or rent one and put a few rounds through it before buying one, if you haven't already. They are really fun for a few rounds and then you put it away and shoot something more practical. With the cost of ammo, even if reloading for any of these hand cannons, they are all relegated to a novelty gun IMHO.

If that's what you want, go for it but there is a reason that there are always plenty of used hand cannons on the market with one cyclinder worth of ammo having ever been shot through it. I like IVCs recommendation, much more practical. .45 LC is a fun caliber and you can modulate your level of fun easily in reloading and it's easy to reload for.
You guys are right, its just a novality gun. I will wait for some good used gun deal in classified.

How's the recoil of 44 special on SW 629 6 inch barrel?

Thanks

Last edited by Raptor3000; 11-28-2023 at 11:21 AM..
Old 11-28-2023, 11:21 AM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

The pipewrench model is just goofy.

The 4 and 5 inch models can actually be carried.

Reloading makes the 500 fun. 500 Special is still pretty damn special.

You can load multiple 50 balls on a wee bit of Unique or indulge in 700 grain nonsense.

Ragnar Benson
Old 11-28-2023, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have one, same model, they are very fun to shoot but feeding a bit pricey especially if you get something like the 700 grain Underwood offering. Hornady runs about 2.00 a round and shoots great.

Not for a novice to try and even if you're ready for it as recommended load only one round at first to avoid any accident. I personally was really surprised at the accuracy of it when I first shot it.

https://rumble.com/v3xbpwh-my-first-...00-magnum.html
Old 11-28-2023, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Is colt anaconda a better choice? I can shoot 44 specials..
Old 11-28-2023, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3000 View Post
Is colt anaconda a better choice? I can shoot 44 specials..
Sounds like you are in need of a trip to a rental range to try out a few sidearms. I would advise (IMHO) to spend a little now to avoid spending too much later on something you do not like, cannot shoot well, or cannot afford ammunition for.
Once you settle on something you have actually tried out, consider how you are going to source good ammunition. The larger calibers that you have expressed interest in are a bit expensive to use enough to become proficient with. All of them can be used a lot more by reloading your own ammunition. You will also be able to create loads that are easier to shoot, and can be custom tailored for your particular weapon.
I have learned all of the above through trial and error, and spent a considerable sum in doing so. It is what it is.
Have fun!
Old 11-28-2023, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Separately, if you're not set on 500, consider also a 460. It's very similar power and recoil, but you can shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt (45 LC) without modifications. That way, if you don't like the recoil or the cost of 460, you can plink with 45 Colt and it feels like .22.
I second this - the .460 is genuinely useful; the .500 is just for marketing
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:09 PM

Yes the recoil is massive compared to 9 and 45. The ammo is like $3 a round. Do you happen to reload? If you do then you can control recoil and ammo cost. If you don't then I would pass on getting it to shoot, and thats my opinion as an avid reloader and 50 cal glutton.

If you're not going to shoot it and just want the coffee table gun then go for it. That 8 3/8" barrel is majestic. Buy what you like.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I like to wear lifting gloves and that helps cushions things and extend the session.

It shines on BLM land, when you can fill up gallon containers with water.
I filled up some plastic kitty liter containers, and put red dye and blue dye. So red white and blue. Boom boom boom. No point it shooting paper targets with this. Make it show off.
Agreed on only ONE round at first especially for anyone who has never fired such a thing. Can start with soft loads.

It cures flinching real fast. Go back to your measly 9mm after and it's like a pellet gun.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 11-29-2023, 2:53 AM
Veteran Member

I've got the S&W 500 mag in the 5 inch model its really not bad to shoot with the muzzle brake. Until you get into the larger , heavier rounds.
My Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag I think is worse recoil wise. Until you get the 500 mag into the 500 grain plus rds.
Old 11-29-2023, 1:30 PM

Everyone has mostly said what I want to say, but I'll pile on. I LOVE my 460XVR...like it has become one of my favorite "range queens" to play with. 44LC seriously shoots and sounds like 22LR. 454 and 460 are downright fun and always draw a crowd. Don't believe what you see on YouTube...if you are an experienced shooter, the weight and compensator of the X Frame more than makes it easy to shoot...oh, and the flame from a 460...shoot video in slow mo.

I also agree, my .44 (single action long barrel) beats me up way more then the 460.

I'd recommend the 460 over the 500 simply in availability of ammo and versatility. It's not cheap to shoot, but you're not shooting hundreds of rounds either.
Old 01-02-2024, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for your valuable responses.

Is there a quality difference in new and old SW 500 revolvers ? Especially from 2013. I read some where about it.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2024, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Default The Magnum Revolver Community

JMHO, but what I did was start with a 357 Magnum and then I started reloading. Then I upgraded to the 44 Magnum that was awesome and fun especially on BLM lands. I think maybe you should try the smaller Magnums before the King of Beasts.

I planned on moving up to the larger Magnums but a divorce and now being a Senior Citizen I usually load 44 Specials and 38 Specials instead of the Magnums.
Old 01-02-2024, 9:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 500 is impractial and a novelty piece. I have one and its a blast to shoot. Its definately not for everybody, so the rental suggestions are a good point.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

I will look for a used 460, as I csn shoot 45 LC.
Old 01-03-2024, 6:50 AM

I’m thinking about selling my 460 once I figure out a value…
And every day the paper boy brings more."
Old 01-03-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpc View Post
The first few times you shoot your new 500, only load one round........

That video shows the absolute WRONG way to absorb the recoil of a powerful handgun. I have a Freedom Arms Model 83 Premier in 454 Casull and the best way to handle the recoil is to stiffen the wrist.

Do NOT let the wrist absorb the recoil, keep a strong, straight arm and transfer the recoil back to the shoulder. A slight lifting of the straight arm at firing is expected but your wrist won't be traumatized. The palm of the hand can take a beating and limit how many rounds you can take but your wrist will love you for this.

Dan
Old 01-03-2024, 11:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3000 View Post
Hi,

Planning on buying a S&w 500 revolver in 8 3/8 inch, I just like the behemoth size of the gun but intimidated with the recrecoil. Never shot anything other than 9mm and 45acp.

Is the recoil really bad with lighter loads? Please advice.

Thanks

---
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 01-03-2024, 5:40 PM

^^^^^LOL!!!!! Wow that’s beyond classic ... . I should have known HF was the culprit of those hideous grips!