Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 09-01-2020, 6:18 AM

Talking Where should I retire?

I'm a year and a half-away from retiring and want to free myself and family from commiefornia.

Where's the best red ( conservative ) State to move to that won't in a few years turn blue? Like Nevada did.

Narrowed down to Arizona, Texas ( high property tax ), Tennessee or Florida.

Scared that Arizona and Texas can turn along with Idaho from Kali libs moving up there.
Old 09-01-2020, 6:36 AM

Pick a state that starts with the letter "T"
Old 09-01-2020, 6:54 AM

So you don't want to infiltrate a Blue state and help take over the majority of the voting population?
Old 09-01-2020, 7:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Utah

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 09-01-2020, 7:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Idaho is the safest of them all. Texas will turn blue before Arizona in my opinion. Tennessee is definitely a good choice too.
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?

Old 09-01-2020, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

My vote is Texas.
Which is also on my shortlist of places to move to before retirement
Old 09-01-2020, 9:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

East Tennessee - Free State of Franklin area. Beautiful scenery, ZERO libtards, State tax-FREE.
Old 09-01-2020, 9:42 AM

Baja, I've been fighting this blue state for decades, would like to actually enjoy what freedom is really like before I'm dead.

My top was Texas before I saw their property taxes, wow and they keep gong up? Any town's in Texas that don't have hight prop. taxes?

Too bad Nevada turned to the dark side.
Old 09-01-2020, 9:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

There are no safe States anymore. Well I don't think Idaho is going to turn blue anytime soon, it can turn a slightly more darker shade of purple if we allow it to. All these damn Californians moving in who don't want freedom Firearms God and family are the ones causing issues in the state
Old 09-01-2020, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemswirl View Post
I'm a year and a half-away from retiring and want to free myself and family from commiefornia.

Where's the best red ( conservative ) State to move to that won't in a few years turn blue? Like Nevada did.

Scared that Arizona and Texas can turn along with Idaho from Kali libs moving up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTarget View Post
Pick a state that starts with the letter "T"
Pick a state that starts with the letter "M"
Old 09-01-2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:

Property tax is high but you pay no personal income tax, if you live in the right area (outside the metro areas) you can save a ton of money with things like Electricity because they have more than one provider which allows for competition which is good for the consumer. Land is also cheap, depending on where you want to live you can get acreage for a decent price. Even if you live in a metro area homes are more reasonable in terms of price. A lot of people opt to live right outside of major metro areas where costs are cheaper. I worked it to where I was able to rent out my home in CA (we had a ton of equity and property tax protected by prop 13, for now) and buy a home in a great area in San Antonio for under 300k 3500sq ft house on a 8k lot in a great neighborhood with a good school system which was very important to me. We chose in the metro area because we still have kids and my wife got a good gig at the UTHSA hospital here. So you have to look at it as a trade off. I get the feeling that most transplants from CA to Tx are conservatives, but Texas used to be blue when it was a more moderate state. I know a lot of companies are bringing their business here like Tesla, but I feel a lot of the more liberal Texans (there are a number of them) are turned off by the riots. One thing Texas loves is law and order and their military. You can get veteran marked license plates that give you things like free parking at airports. Getting a LCH has gotten better too, they are now doing online course for the class room portion so you just need to do a review and qualification which general takes an hour in person. There is also a bill being introduced at the beginning of 2021 for constitutional carry. I can't tell you how great it feels to drive down the street seeing by neighbors flying the Red White and Blue both the American and Texas flags....its awesome.
Old 09-02-2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Pick a state that starts with the letter "M"
Massachusetts. Nah, that doesn't work.
Old 09-02-2020, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
But Maine might. They voted in Constitutional, a.k.a. Vermont Carry, into law a few years ago. Heck, Vermont itself would be a good state even if The Bern's gone anti-2A.

Until recently, I might've suggested Virginia, but the Bloom-boy Democrats have taken over.

OP would do well to consider West Virginia or South Carolina also. West Virginia is not Virginia, rest assured.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 09-02-2020, 8:46 PM

I am one year away and have been researching Tennessee and South Dakota. Both are conservative, and tax and business friendly. Why does no-one ever mention S. Dakota? Am I missing something? Aside from good medical drawing in "liberals" I can't find anything wrong going on there. Colder weather is obvious coming from CA.
Old 09-02-2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicOrange View Post
I am one year away and have been researching Tennessee and South Dakota. Both are conservative, and tax and business friendly. Why does no-one ever mention S. Dakota? Am I missing something? Aside from good medical drawing in "liberals" I can't find anything wrong going on there. Colder weather is obvious coming from CA.
There is much more in Tennessee than South Dakota. South Dakota is flat and windy. All states have more than South Dakota (in the way of weather, terrain, access to transportation and medical) except North Dakota.
Old 09-02-2020, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
There is much more in Tennessee than South Dakota. South Dakota is flat and windy. All states have more than South Dakota (in the way of weather, terrain, access to transportation and medical) except North Dakota.
Tennessee and Kentucky are the only two states I'd want to live in east of the Mississippi. Kentucky is one of the most beautiful states I've been to. I've heard TN is very similar.

Maine is also very beautiful, when it isnt winter. The winters are long and brutal.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 09-02-2020 at 9:30 PM..
Old 09-02-2020, 9:37 PM

OP,

Besides the taxes, gun laws & etc I would also look at medical care for older folks. I have friends who have moved out of state and they had to deal with heart attacks and cancer treatments. Just something to consider. Consider your life expectancy as far as another state turning into a California. A friend of mine was ranting about other states turning blue until I told him he would be dead by then!
Old 09-03-2020, 1:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
OP,

Besides the taxes, gun laws & etc I would also look at medical care for older folks. I have friends who have moved out of state and they had to deal with heart attacks and cancer treatments. Just something to consider. Consider your life expectancy as far as another state turning into a California. A friend of mine was ranting about other states turning blue until I told him he would be dead by then!
That's excellent advice. Washington has some stupid laws but still way better than the PRK plus No sate income tax Plus, if you live in southwest WA, you hop across the border into Oregon to buy your big ticket items like furniture and TVs etc. because Oregon has no sales tax. Add fine dining in the non-rioting areas and excellent hospitals in the area make it a nice place to retire to. AND California cannot tax your pension if you live out of state.
Old 09-03-2020, 2:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
OP,

True. I've had friends move only to find out local doctors weren't accepting new patients, something to do with a mass exodus out of California overwhelming the local medical capacity.
Old 09-03-2020, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

I and one of the son in laws are checking out South Dakota after our october hunt in Wyo this year. The Black Hills region has beautiful country to look over and consider. First order of business is Rapid City and north of it. Tennessee is too far east and my Ya'll is very rusty now. I escaped from Texas when my Dad brought us out to California in 1945, but now Kaw lee forn yuh is bad news ! But NO never back to Texias as bugs bunny call it.

Psalm 1
Old 09-03-2020, 9:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicOrange View Post
South Dakota winters are absolutely brutal. I know some don't mind the cold, but that dang wind on top of it.
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?

Old 09-03-2020, 11:54 PM

I was hoping to move to Nevada and telecommute from Carson City area but by the time my employer (CA State govt) can figure out labor laws for out of state telecommuting employees, my grandchildren will probably be long dead and forgotten.

I'm now back to my original plan of leaving after I reach 20 yrs of service. My initial thoughts were focused on South Dakota, Wyoming, and Texas but now Tennessee is on the map and starting to look viable.

Anyone there know if a conservative disabled vet with a State pension would be welcomed there?

Particularly if he's of Asian descent?

And dates White women?

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT
Old 09-05-2020, 7:27 PM

Arizona; your other options have too much humidity for me. I lived in San Antonio Texas for one year in the 1980s. Humidity and I are not friends.

jus sayin
Old 09-05-2020, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I really like the areas history but the weather sucks and every traffic engineer should be taken out and shot! We stated at a hotel last year where we had to drive past the place make a right and a loop around to line up with a light where we could turn left to get back to the hotel a block and 1/2 away.
We're going to end up in NV. No income tax reasonable property tax my health insurance will transfer there. If we could move farther than the wife's 3 hours from the grandson dictate I'd go as far as Oklahoma.
Old 09-06-2020, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenax View Post
I was hoping to move to Nevada and telecommute from Carson City area but by the time my employer (CA State govt) can figure out labor laws for out of state telecommuting employees, my grandchildren will probably be long dead and forgotten.

I'm now back to my original plan of leaving after I reach 20 yrs of service. My initial thoughts were focused on South Dakota, Wyoming, and Texas but now Tennessee is on the map and starting to look viable.

Anyone there know if a conservative disabled vet with a State pension would be welcomed there?

And dates White women?
You would be welcomed here in the great state of Tennessee. They love veterans here.

I'm about thirty miles east of Nashville and love it here, and I was born and raised in southern California.

Old 09-06-2020, 4:43 AM
Veteran Member

Well, is it important to you how the state votes, or how your city/town votes? If you are worrying about gun rights, I think both Texas and Arizona are safe for your lifetime even if they turn blue. Just look at Nevada. It is blue because of Las Vegas, but it is bright shiny red everywhere else and shall issue CCW is the law.

If you think of it as any state being better than California, you can pick a place you want to spend your golden years.

Oh. Texas has higher property taxes, but no state income tax, so there is that.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 09-06-2020, 4:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenax View Post

And dates White women?
Depending on your level of VA disability, you will get a discount on your property tax in Texas. If you have 100% rating, you pay no property tax. It is as simple as taking your award letter to the tax office and they do the rest. Less rating means less tax discount.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 09-07-2020, 3:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Gamble View Post
Well, is it important to you how the state votes, or how your city/town votes? If you are worrying about gun rights, I think both Texas and Arizona are safe for your lifetime even if they turn blue. Just look at Nevada. It is blue because of Las Vegas, but it is bright shiny red everywhere else and shall issue CCW is the law.
Las Vegas isn't moving. State laws affect the whole state. Kalifornia had concealed carry before Arizona did. Any state that gets blue is at risk. It only takes a couple months for gun bans to be voted in.
Old 11-02-2020, 3:05 AM

Quote:

..My top was Texas before I saw their property taxes, wow and they keep gong up? Any town's in Texas that don't have hight prop. taxes?..
Huh ? I'm on 20 acres with a 3000sqft home w/swimming pool (1/2 way between Dallas and Shreveport, just north of Tyler, Tx) - my property tax bills for the end of 2020 are : $3098 School & $862 County (no HOA dues) - City Services (Water/Sewer/Garbage/Tax) $51 for October - Electrics are a bit "high" (in my opinion) but not unreasonable

Just looked up a piece of junk house in Glendale, Ca (my old stomping grounds) - a very small house built in the 1940s (and really ugly) - price is over 3/4 million with taxes of approx $11000 per year
Old 11-02-2020, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Idaho is in no danger of "turning". There's a Republican super-majority in the Legislature. No Democrats in the US house or senate, and a large number of LDS folks in government. Idaho is a constitutional carry state and Idaho LE is prohibited from enforcing federal gun laws. The state Constitution forbids gun registration.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 11-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Been thinking about this topic to. My choice is between Reno and Dallas. Reno mostly because it is close to family here in CA. But house prices are higher compared to Dallas. TX do have high prop tax but their value is low, so kindda evens out. Dallas has big city services and served by major airport so its convenient. Cons are it is further, dry and flat.
Old 11-02-2020, 1:02 PM
Banned

Just found this over the weekend, it is worth looking at

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

https://www.kiplinger.com/kiplinger-...rees/index.php

Take a look at what states tax pensions, retirement and property taxes.
Old 11-02-2020, 1:18 PM

I looked into different retirement places prior to retirement and there's no way to determine with confidence:
- best location/community/politics to retire if you haven't lived there before
- what you are really going to enjoy and do in retirement
- financial costs because you don't know exactly what you'll be doing (worldwide traveling, RV, sit at home prepping...)

Wait until you retire and get into a stable retirement routine to determine your likes and dislikes and then AirBNB living in different places for months.
Old 11-02-2020, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

How are the mosquitoes in all the discussed states? I HATE mosquitoes.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 11-02-2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
How are the mosquitoes in all the discussed states? I HATE mosquitoes.
I love it here in TX but that is one thing I still hate... the mosquitoes here are voracious. They devour me in the summer here. I never got bites in LA, although i hear the mosquitoes are starting to invade there?