Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:58 PM

OP, the guy who pulled the trigger should face charges. Have the wife contact the insurance company to claim damages.

To the rest of you trashing OP and his wife....that is shameful and doesn't belong in this thread.

We can have our fun in OT but this thread is open to everyone, nice job guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
...He comes out while I'm at work to **** the wife..I shall name him Sancho.
Old 08-01-2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
So for u a happy marriage is to live separately from your spouse?

So besides the tax benefits or insurance benefits why even get married?
Good to see the marriage police patrolling what other people do in their personal lives.
Old 08-01-2020, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

TMI on the OP's personal life. I don't care how other people decide to live. NunYa.

Not enough info to give a no B.S. assessment on the discharge.

I prefer the term "avoidable discharge" because that's what it presumably was.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-03-2020, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
TMI on the OP's personal life. I don't care how other people decide to live. NunYa.

Not enough info to give a no B.S. assessment on the discharge.

I prefer the term "avoidable discharge" because that's what it presumably was.
But aren't all discharges avoidable? That is if we exclude a mechanical malfunction where the gun just "goes off" by itself. Whether it is intentional or not, it is avoidable.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-03-2020, 10:19 PM

If you want to play with your guns in the house, get snap caps.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:51 PM

Op here again. Still have not gotten an on topic response to the primary question of my original post. I guess I gave too many details on the actual things I know which led to responses going off topic on things like “negligent versus accidental” (which is a good topic on its own), or questioning my living arrangements, (really off topic for a gun thread) or on who my wife is having sex with (really two different CalGun members thought that was an appropriate and on topic thing to try and make a joke about?). So forget the actual shooting I was talking about and riddle me this instead. Does any one know what has actually happened to or would happen to some one that was responsible for shooting their gun thru a condo or apartment wall into an adjacent occupied unit with no injuries to anyone. For this scenario I will say the shooter did not intend to shoot the gun and their was no mechanical malfunction that caused it to go off. I would like to know What penalty California has for this and if that would include losing his gun, guns and or rights to own a gun. And yes when I eventually find out what happens to the the real person from my original post who actually did this, I will update here.

Last edited by Like2fly; 08-03-2020 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 08-03-2020, 11:52 PM

***Edited for readability/legibility. Content trimmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2fly View Post
....So forget the actual shooting I was talking about and riddle me this instead.

Does any one know what has actually happened to or would happen to some one that was responsible for shooting their gun thru a condo or apartment wall into an adjacent occupied unit with no injuries to anyone.

For this scenario I will say the shooter did not intend to shoot the gun and their was no mechanical malfunction that caused it to go off.

I would like to know What penalty California has for this and if that would include losing his gun, guns and or rights to own a gun....
2nd post answered this. The parameters set by your scenario still point to Negligent Discharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Not an accidental discharge, a NEGLIGENT discharge...

That said - thanks to Google - as per the PC, the state has harsh penalties... Felony at worst.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/penal-code/246-3/

_
While the person might not of intended to shoot the gun. They willfully (intentionally) pulled the trigger. (source - see above link).

According to the site posted by rodralig -

Quote:
Negligently firing a gun is what is known as a “wobbler”—which means that it may be charged as either a misdemeanor or a California felony.
It goes on to state the punishments would be -

Quote:
If it is charged as a misdemeanor, PC 246.3 negligent discharge carries a maximum county jail sentence of one (1) year. Charged as a felony, it can lead to sixteen (16) months, two (2) years or three (3) years in county jail.
A felony conviction would mean that you would forfeit your gun rights (for life)*. There is a specific list of misdemeanors which may lead to losing your gun rights. Negligent discharge is one of them.

Quote:
Discharging a firearm in a grossly negligent manner (Pen. Code, § 246.3.)
Source: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...hibcatmisd.pdf

I do not know what other charges may be brought up and the additional punishments that go with a conviction.

Obligatory "I am not a lawyer. Please consult an licensed attorney if the need exists".
Old 08-04-2020, 3:36 AM

Thank you SuperBanther for your informative reply to my reformulated question. I did not see that reply earlier. Again I will update how things turn out with this neighbor. I expect it may be a while before his case is resolved.
Old 08-04-2020, 4:24 AM
Veteran Member

In my lifetime, I've witnessed both an N.D. and a A.D.

N.D.
Hunting deer, a fellow hunter was in the motor home and the generator was running. The rest of us were talking outside when we heard a sound like the generator backfired. Out of the camper stepped the one hunter. He announced he was checking his rifle and it went off, putting a hole in the floor of the camper. That was a N.D.

A.D.
One day, I was driving my best friend Mark home from work. At his brother's house, I dropped him off at the curb. He asked if I wanted to come in for a beer and I declined as I wanted to get home for dinner with my wife. Mark walked up the walkway as I drove off. The front door to the house was hard to close. As Mark went in, he slammed the door hard to close it. Mark's brother kept a model 98 Mauser in 8X57 on a wall rack near the door. The Mauser fell off the rack, struck the floor and discharged. The bullet hit Mark in the head and he was instantly killed.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
In my lifetime, I've witnessed both an N.D. and a A.D.

A.D.
One day, I was driving my best friend Mark home from work. At his brother's house, I dropped him off at the curb. He asked if I wanted to come in for a beer and I declined as I wanted to get home for dinner with my wife. Mark walked up the walkway as I drove off. The front door to the house was hard to close. As Mark went in, he slammed the door hard to close it. Mark's brother kept a model 98 Mauser in 8X57 on a wall rack near the door. The Mauser fell off the rack, struck the floor and discharged. The bullet hit Mark in the head and he was instantly killed.
That's awful!

Where there any legal consequences for the brother? Not to be insensitive, but that case also seems completely avoidable. Who stores a rifle with a round in the chamber?
Old 08-04-2020, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekeye View Post
That's awful!

Where there any legal consequences for the brother? Not to be insensitive, but that case also seems completely avoidable. Who stores a rifle with a round in the chamber?
It was a long time ago. I saw Mark’s brother at the funeral. He was a man devastated. I do not recall hearing of legal ramifications. It was late 1970’s and I bet things were different In Los Angeles back then.

It did impact me and how I respect firearms. I demand the same respect for arms from those around me. I remember Mark every time I handle my guns and think how lives can be shattered in a millisecond.