Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Wyze Cams

Anyone using Wyze cams? How do you like them? They only live-stream, correct (no recording)?

Has anyone mounted them outside using the various mounts that can be found online?

Thx.

Sent from free America

Last edited by Doheny; 06-15-2020 at 8:21 PM.. Reason: typo in title
Old 06-15-2020, 10:17 AM

I installed two of them inside my grandmother's home (she lives by herself and is prone to falling). I login from time to time to make sure it still works, haven't had any issues with it. It does record motion and provides up to two weeks' worth of playback video (usually 12 seconds per clip). I believe you can also add a microSD card to enable continuous recording. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:29 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

I have had them for about 3 years and never had a problem. I mounted them outdoors under the eves and didn't use any kind of weatherproof protection. Never an issue.

For the price you cannot get a better camera IMO.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

I have them as well. Yes, you can record, and at two different rates. Plus you can upload to their cloud.

The cameras work well, are 1080P, you can listen with them and you can talk as well. And the night time infra red works very well also.

And they're small. They just need to be plugged in an have a good wifi connection.

Oh, and I can view what's happening and communicate through them when I'm away from home, like at the grocery store.

And the price is right.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 06-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Hard to beat for the price. The frame rate sucks but that is one tradeoff you make for the price and ease of use. Get pro endurance 32gb SD cards and they do record continuously locally.

I recommend you schedule them to reboot every couple of days, or the local storage can sometimes get wonky. This is easy to schedule in the app.

I also recommend you pay the $1.49 /mo (per camera) for complete motion capture in the cloud. At least for the cameras that point outside or things you need to monitor inside like pets, elderly etc. Then you will not have the 12sec limit and the 5 minute cooldown between motion events for the cloud recordings.

I have also mounted them under the eves at my mother in laws house, it works fine. The app allows you to select an upside down mounting orientation. There are also silicone covers you can get for them in various colors that add some protection from the rain. I have also used some of the wall mounts you can find on Amazon.

Here are some of the things I use with them and can recommend for the Pan Cams. The tilt/pan cams are the only ones I have experience with.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B98GXQT/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TNJKC73/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLRNGZR/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081V38KPG/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L99K2ZM/

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-15-2020 at 11:14 AM..
Old 06-15-2020, 8:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks all.
Old 06-18-2020, 1:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Back from Lithuania. Still running from folks in Esotonia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Anyone using Wyze cams? How do you like them? They only live-stream, correct (no recording)?

Has anyone mounted them outside using the various mounts that can be found online?

Thx.

Sent from free America
They record. You talking about the $20 cams you can get on ebay? Put an SD in them and they record and just overwrite when necessary...

My supervisor uses them and he monitors his house back in Indiana with a few of them at various spots. It will send a clip to his phone and allow him to connect to it I think if he has it setup that way.

They are nice.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 07-20-2020, 12:48 PM

We use the cameras for inside security, heard people also use as baby monitors. In our experience WYZE cameras are decent but we will convert to a wired version because wifi is too unstable.

Last edited by czakita; 07-31-2020 at 9:04 AM..
Old 07-26-2020, 8:48 AM

I use them as webcams ~$30 Web cam (buy USBA<>USBA cable but works fine!

For security - Not awesome but not bad
agree with reboot every few days at least.

I have Ring Solar As well - Good but expensive
Also use a lot of Unifi for Home Security - because my Wifi and other Gear is Unifi
allows me to send wifi ALOT farther around property (not quite as good as new mesh but good!)

Wyze needs battery + trickle Panel +Controller and Id buy them up!

there are a few Wyze Mods though
Good Build without wifi nearby
Old 07-26-2020, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

Wyze, Zmodo and even Ring(or Nest), sends videos/pics to China as well as your network traffic.

https://www.voanews.com/usa/worlds-b...-footage-china
Old 07-26-2020, 3:55 PM

No, that's been resolved for Wyze. They used to have an IOT streamer that bounced traffic on servers across the world. ThroughTek now bounces traffic only with US based on Wyze Device IDs.
Old 07-26-2020, 7:37 PM

I have 2 outdoors with some cheap mounting brackets. If you enable the "night vision IR lights", they'll attract bugs which sends many notifications if enabled. In addition, the bugs attract spiders which will trip like crazy. I spray bug killer and clean the spider webs off.

In addition, the motion detection for outdoor cameras will trip like crazy due to wind causing trees to move and changing sun light. More of novelty for outdoors for motion detection.

The person detection is useful, but I think they might actually charge nominally if you don't have legacy Wyze cameras and then they'll "let" you choose a $0 fee.

Still can't be beat, but it depends upon your usage.

Interior Wyze cameras make a cheap passive security backup device.
Old 07-30-2020, 6:33 PM

I have a couple outside, had them under the eaves for over a year and still working fine.

Wyze just launched their outdoor camera, completley wireless with a battery, it may be worth checking out. I've got one on the way.