Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 05-07-2020, 7:35 PM

Just received my Ontario RAT 7. Couldn’t pass up the price at 50% off retail. Now I have to find a good sheath that cost less than the knife! Any suggestions out there?
Old 05-07-2020, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's_eye View Post
Been eyeing this one for a long time, bladehq putting it on clearance made the decision for me. Couldn't pass it up for $110. Showed up earlier than expected.
Nice. Ive been looking at some new benchmades
Old 05-07-2020, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3HenryTwo View Post
Just received my Ontario RAT 7. Couldnít pass up the price at 50% off retail. Now I have to find a good sheath that cost less than the knife! Any suggestions out there?
Where did you find the Rat-7 deal. Look at Kabars kydex sheath for a 7Ē blade.
I had one for a Blackjack Model 7. Cost about $18 and heat the Kabar logo with a heat gun gently until the logo disappears.
Old 05-07-2020, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
Where did you find the Rat-7 deal. Look at Kabars kydex sheath for a 7Ē blade.
I had one for a Blackjack Model 7. Cost about $18 and heat the Kabar logo with a heat gun gently until the logo disappears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2020, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3HenryTwo View Post
Just received my Ontario RAT 7. Couldn’t pass up the price at 50% off retail. Now I have to find a good sheath that cost less than the knife! Any suggestions out there?
I have one that came with a gorgeous basket weave leather seath, but it is actually sitting in the stock one that is secured to a gun case for a Ruger PCC.

I'd opt to find something like this:

https://theknifeconnection.com/tkc-o...gunmetal-grey/

OR

AZwelke for an ESSE 6 sheath, but check with him to make sure his retention is good for the RAT7.

https://www.azwelke.com/sheaths/esee/esee-6/

You could also grab a SPEC-OPS large and mold the insert to the knife with a heat gun or iron - I've done that many times with knives 8" or less and those sheaths are great. I probably still have a dozen of them.

OR

https://clevelandkydex.com/ontario-c...eath-p-55.html

RAT7 is a popular knife and there is kydex out there for it.

Last edited by crufflers; 05-07-2020 at 10:57 PM..
Old 05-07-2020, 11:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
You'll see what I was talking about when you get it. I wish I could just buy some aftermarket scales for it. I'd just drill through and put a couple rivets in.
Looking for some old pics of a RAT7... found this old series of posts.

You had it figured on the CS drop forged knives handles. They did just what you said on the Survivalist... drilled holes and added textured scales. They should do the same for the smaller one. I do think the skate tape improved mine though.
Old 05-08-2020, 4:44 PM

Default Benchmade 87

single channel Titanium handles running on bearings. This thing is indestructible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bm87.jpg (100.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-08-2020, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

XM-18 skinny sheepsfoot

Old 05-09-2020, 4:51 PM

Finally sprung for a Snecx/Hoback Buster collaboration. All I can say is Wow.
"Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
- John Lott -
Old 05-09-2020, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

XM18 skinny skinner

Old 05-10-2020, 1:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Hogue EX-02 Elishewitz Sig

Just picked up a Hogue EX-02 Elishewitz, Sig series with laminated walnut scales. This is a great knife, big for EDC, but perfect for hunting. Goes well with my Legion too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15891448644181130333569.jpg (97.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200510_135824573_HDR.jpg (97.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by recpark99; 05-10-2020 at 2:34 PM..
Old 05-10-2020, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recpark99 View Post
Just picked up a Hogue EX-02 Elishewitz, Sig series with laminated walnut scales. This is a great knife, big for EDC, but perfect for hunting. Goes well with my Legion too.
Nice!
Old 05-16-2020, 1:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Muela Bison

Saw some good reviews on Muela knives from Spain, so I decided to try one out. Just got the Muela Bison skinning knife. The stag handle is beautiful and this thing is razor sharp. Fits in the hand perfectly. Leather sheath is very nice too! I just prepped a pheasant for dinner in no time at all. Amazing how easy it is to prep game with a sharp knife. Going hog hunting next weekend and hoping to use this in the field!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200516_141508039.jpg (85.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-16-2020, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

Picked up a Rat-7 from Amazon with my points. Nice blade but itís sheath has to go. IMG_0829.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 3:41 PM

Waiting on a Protech half-breed auto with the 3D wave grip from Southern Edge Knife Works.
Old 05-16-2020, 7:49 PM

Got me an Ek 44 Commando currently produced by Kabar. This was a famous knife for American GIs in World War II. They had cherry wood handles back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor
You have been scammed bigly. Epic hype. Time to snap out. YW

Last edited by Marthor; 05-16-2020 at 7:54 PM..
Old 05-16-2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
Finally sprung for a Snecx/Hoback Buster collaboration. All I can say is Wow.
thats a NICE KNIFE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2020, 3:20 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Picked up my first LT Wright knife. This is a new model called the Illuminous 5. It has a 5.7" blade of CPM 3V steel. A .1565" thick spine (by my measurement) that is 1.5" tall. Weighs about 10.2 oz. and has an overall length of 10.3". Handle length is 4.6".

I have large-XL hands and this has an extremely comfortable fine micarta handle (other materials are available). The handle is a little larger in diameter than most knives in this blade length. The fine micarta grip and diameter gives you tremendous grip leverage when carving.

I would say this is my favorite all around medium sized outdoor knife (belt knife) at this time. The handle is really comfortable and unique. This big knife can still perform most small tasks you might do with a smaller 4.5" bushcraft knife, but can also perform small chopping tasks like removing small limbs from a sapling, chopping points on tent stakes, chopping thumb sized kindling, batoning thick wood, and batoning cross cuts in wood. The shape of the rear of the handle makes two or three finger snap chops easy without worry of losing control of the knife.

It comes with a super sharp scandi grind which is easy to strop back to razor sharp after use. The steel is 57-59 HRC which is slightly softer than Bark River 3V at 59-60 HRC, but it seems to hold its edge well and it may be slightly easier to sharpen.

Personally, I prefer a Bark River type convex grind, but I'm impressed with the LT Wright scandi grind, especially in 3V.

This will be a very tough knife in 3V and I pounded, (literally) with a baton, over and over through aged California Blue Oak firewood without a worry. The height of the blade gave me extra confidence that it would not break. Of course 3V is one of the toughest knife steels used today.

This is a quality knife with competitive pricing for this package of quality materials, a great design, made by a well known quality knife craftsman.

BTW - It comes with a very nice leather sheath.

Here it is with some practice carving scrap.

ILLUMINOUS5.jpg

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-22-2020 at 3:52 PM..
Old 05-22-2020, 4:08 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Oh yeah, that's a nice blade. The Green and black G10 looks great.

They have the Wardens out right now. That's an interesting little knife with the same thickness.

If they'd made this puppy in INFI I would have bought about four or five. Too bad.
Old 05-22-2020, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

LT Wright makes some sharp spines I love mine.
Old 05-22-2020, 8:30 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Got the Mega Ratweiler

That's a beautiful beast.
Old 05-22-2020, 9:56 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Looking for some old pics of a RAT7... found this old series of posts.

You had it figured on the CS drop forged knives handles. They did just what you said on the Survivalist... drilled holes and added textured scales. They should do the same for the smaller one. I do think the skate tape improved mine though.
Hey, cool. I wish they'd done that a long time ago... I decided not to spend a bunch of time making scales for mine. So, here is what I did using 550 cord and Super Glue. I did it in red just for fun, but it really does make the grip usable.

BTW - 550 cord with super glue can make a permanent handle kind of like 550 cord micarta . I wrapped the handle in 550 cord and pushed the excess under the wrap on each side. Then I took a big bottle of super glue and put drops of glue along the wrap on the top and bottom and let dry. This leaves the cord in the palm swell soft, but the portion that wraps over the metal is solid.

This fills the hand better.

drop forge1.jpgdrop forge2.jpg

Below - This was my first test with 550 and super glue. I removed the 7 white strands which just left the red cover. Then I carefully wrapped the knife blank handle with two layers of cord cover. I used Super Glue to hold the cord in place as I wrapped when needed.

After wrapping the entire handle I soaked all the cordage cover with glue and let it dry. It turned into a very very tough light weight handle that's like micarta.

It doesn't look good now because I wanted to test it to see if it could be sanded to make the cord fibers come out to give it a soft feel. That didn't work well, but if I were going to do it again, I would wrap another layer or two of cord, super glue it and then coat it with a couple coats of epoxy.

It just became a back up knife that goes in my truck tool roll. Its amazing how tough the handle is though. BTW - This is a 1095 blank from Self Reliance Outfitters.
PKS1.jpg

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-22-2020 at 10:14 PM..
Old 05-23-2020, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
BTW - 550 cord with super glue can make a permanent handle kind of like 550 cord micarta . I wrapped the handle in 550 cord and pushed the excess under the wrap on each side. Then I took a big bottle of super glue and put drops of glue along the wrap on the top and bottom and let dry. This leaves the cord in the palm swell soft, but the portion that wraps over the metal is solid.
Very cool. Hardening wrap handles makes them a lot tougher. You did a great job with the wrap.

All but one of my wrap handle knives came soaked in Marine Epoxy. Very grip-able and more permanent than bare wrap.
Old 05-23-2020, 3:26 PM
Banned

I prefer my own custom made knives. I was using CPM3V before any of big manufacturers. LOL. I love when someone finds out about it like
16 days ago, and think they stumbled on something new. lol! Or even funnier... when it get compared to Infi! HAHAHAHA! We knifemakers are not impressed with Infi. They aren’t even in the same ball park! I first learned of CPM3V in early 2012, & been using it almost exclusively for my knives, for 7 years! I will say Bark River started using it right about when I did. They got the idea from Dan Keffeler & Nathan Carother, same me. Those two were the pioneers with it!

Some of my custom designs, all in CPM3V.

We are getting 3V to 61HRC with virtually the same toughness now with the latest heat treat recipe. Major manufacturers still treat the old way to 59HRC. That way they skip the Cryogenic treatment immediately after hardening & triple temper.
Old 05-23-2020, 3:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
I prefer my own custom made knives. I was using CPM3V before any of big manufacturers. LOL. I love when someone finds out about it like
16 days ago, and think they stumbled on something new. lol! Or even funnier... when it get compared to Infi! HAHAHAHA! We knifemakers are not impressed with Infi. They arenít even in the same ball park! I first learned of CPM3V in early 2012, & been using it almost exclusively for my knives, for 7 years! I will say Bark River started using it right about when I did. They got the idea from Dan Keffeler & Nathan Carother, same me. Those two were the pioneers with it!

Some of my custom designs, all in CPM3V.

We are getting 3V to 61HRC with virtually the same toughness now with the latest heat treat recipe. Major manufacturers still treat the old way to 59HRC. That way they skip the Cryogenic treatment immediately after hardening & triple temper.

Do you sell your knives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2020, 4:02 PM
Banned

I have, but I haven’t in some time. I don’t do this as a business. I can’t because I am disabled & it’s just too difficult for me to meat any kind deadline. Knifemaking is a passion for me. I mostly make them for people I know. I have several repeat knife buyers.

All of my knifemaking time is invested in making my frame lock folder design at this time.
Old 05-23-2020, 7:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ontario Rat 2. Anniversary present from the Mrs. Just hit our 20th anniversary yesterday. It's a beefy little thing.
Old 05-23-2020, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
I have, but I havenít in some time.

All of my knifemaking time is invested in making my frame lock folder design at this time.
Nice grinds, Dave. I like those handles too.

If you have any frame locks done, post some if you can.
Old 05-24-2020, 4:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nice grinds, Dave. I like those handles too.

If you have any frame locks done, post some if you can.
Thank you my friend. The Carbon Fiber I make myself. The other is G10, which I also make, but not these scales in the pics.

Like I said, this is taking up all my knife focus know. So, technically this is my last knife purchase, lol. Frame lock folders are a whole new territory in knife making. I designed this on CADD. Also made the Carbon Fiber here.

Old 05-24-2020, 4:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Ontario Rat 2. Anniversary present from the Mrs. Just hit our 20th anniversary yesterday. It's a beefy little thing.
Congrats. My wife & I are gonna celebrate 22yrs in a couple weeks. We were 19 when married! Still canít believe it.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

60D41D81-EA4F-496E-99A7-CF660364C71B.jpgBM Tengu flipper. Pretty knife and nice action, but without a clip itís not going to replace my old 855 for edc.
These are the most valuable things you have and once they are gone, you can not get them back.
Old 05-24-2020, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

new toys but need to upgrade sheaths...pics are crappy and don't do them justice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200524_201649.jpg (88.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200524_201615.jpg (84.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200524_201406.jpg (83.0 KB, 23 views)
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 05-25-2020, 9:04 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Very cool. Hardening wrap handles makes them a lot tougher. You did a great job with the wrap.

All but one of my wrap handle knives came soaked in Marine Epoxy. Very grip-able and more permanent than bare wrap.
Yeah, I have marine epoxy as occasionally do project that require a gallon or so at a time . But what I thought was interesting is how well cyanoacrylate works with 550 cord if you want to make a tough wrap quickly.

You could actually construct or repair something with it.
Old 05-25-2020, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I have marine epoxy as occasionally do project that require a gallon or so at a time . But what I thought was interesting is how well cyanoacrylate works with 550 cord if you want to make a tough wrap quickly.

You could actually construct or repair something with it.
That is interesting. My problem would be the small Super Glue tubes I keep around.

If I could paint brush it on, it'd make it easier for me.
Old 05-25-2020, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just ordered an Anza 97 Bumble Bee Micarta and Wood

https://jeffersonoutfitters.com/product/97-bumble-bee/

wanted a fixed blade pocket knife

1A - 2A = -1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Old 05-25-2020, 9:14 PM
Progressives Suck!

So, my wife saw the pile of wood shavings I created when practicing some outdoor skills. She called me beaver boy! B**** pissed me off, so I bought two more Bark Rivers.

Bravo Alphas, DLT exclusive.

BRAVO ALPHAS1.jpg

BRAVO ALPHAS4.jpg

BRAVO ALPHAS5.jpg

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-25-2020 at 9:18 PM..
Old 05-25-2020, 9:22 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
new toys but need to upgrade sheaths...pics are crappy and don't do them justice!
Those will be great with a little clean up and the right sheaths. Very cool.
Old 05-25-2020, 9:45 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
That is interesting. My problem would be the small Super Glue tubes I keep around.

If I could paint brush it on, it'd make it easier for me.
You can buy it in all kinds of sizes. This isn't where I bought mine from (I can't remember now).

https://www.hobbylinc.com/ca-super-glue

I buy two or three big bottles and keep them in zip lock bags in the garage refrigerator. Don't know if fridge helps, but it stays good for several years.
Old 05-25-2020, 9:46 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
Just ordered an Anza 97 Bumble Bee Micarta and Wood

https://jeffersonoutfitters.com/product/97-bumble-bee/

wanted a fixed blade pocket knife
Cool looking EDC knife.
Old 05-25-2020, 9:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wife just gave me a Ontario Rat 2. More reasonably sized than the Big brother. Fits nicely in my pocket.