Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-24-2017, 5:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It’s a free country so price what the market will allow. If someone wants to buy 10 of them at $1000 a pop, have at it. I don’t see any attraction to these pistols personally. I guess I would buy one if it were cheaper than a Rock Island Armory.
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?

Old 11-24-2017, 7:38 AM

I think its sad what CMP has become. It was supposed to be a place where citizens could buy a surplus gun for cheap, ie way below market value. Always was that way. I have been out of the gun community for several years but when i checked CMP again, their prices arent even competitive anymore. IDK how that was allowed to happen?
Old 11-24-2017, 7:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I just love to hear the cheapskates whine about the price the CMP is going to charge for these 1911's, like their opinion is going to make any difference in the demand. They seem to be living in a Neverland where they think that they should be paying prices from 20 years ago.

I kind of hate to break it to these guys, but they will sell like hotcakes at a grand apiece, The better grades will sell the fastest even though they're going to be more expensive. The price will stabilize the market for the reworked or mismatched pistols already one the market, but correct, unrefinished guns will always bring top dollar.

I have watched the market rise over the years to the point that is is getting hard to afford decent examples. I have a few US Property 1911 and 1911-A1 pistols and I will be anxiously waiting to see what they unearth.

Top to bottom

Left side: 1914 Springfield, 1917 Colt, 1918 Colt.
Right side: 1942 Colt, 1944 R-R, 1944 Ithaca.
Old 11-24-2017, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomike View Post
I think its sad what CMP has become. It was supposed to be a place where citizens could buy a surplus gun for cheap, ie way below market value. Always was that way. I have been out of the gun community for several years but when i checked CMP again, their prices arent even competitive anymore. IDK how that was allowed to happen?
I believe you are mistaken.
The CMP is "supposed to be" a place that promotes shooting sports and gun safety. They fund these programs by selling surplus government guns.
As to "...their prices arent even competitive anymore." I just took a look at GunBroker and couldn't find ANY Garands that have sold for even close to what the CMP sells for, and currently has available.
Old 11-24-2017, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock Tom View Post
I believe you are mistaken.
The CMP is "supposed to be" a place that promotes shooting sports and gun safety. They fund these programs by selling surplus government guns.
As to "...their prices arent even competitive anymore." I just took a look at GunBroker and couldn't find ANY Garands that have sold for even close to what the CMP sells for, and currently has available.
Both correct. The CMP does not receive government funding but does get inventory at a greatly discounted price. The sales fund shooting events and other activities. It is a non profit. What I do wonder is how much waste is there? The CEO/Chairman is well compensated at almost $400,000/yr but not overly compensated. They have over $200M in assets and they make a nice profit each year. IMO they could bring prices down so they are obtainable to more people, but with it they would need to set limits otherwise dealers will be buying up all their stock. They have set a 6 rifle limit in recent years but they would need to reduce it to 2. For that reason I am fine with the current pricing structure. However I am curious what the plan is for all those assets.

https://www.citizenaudit.org/organiz...ARMS%20SAFETY/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
However I am curious what the plan is for all those assets.
Set, affect and effect policy with a focus on marksmanship.

Hopefully
Old 11-24-2017, 9:52 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Enjoy the speculation and anticipation. As with so many other of life’s pursuits, it will probably be more exciting than acquiring the 1911 itself.

Thrill of the chase you know.....
Old 11-24-2017, 9:58 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodog View Post
It’s a free country so price what the market will allow. If someone wants to buy 10 of them at $1000 a pop, have at it. I don’t see any attraction to these pistols personally. I guess I would buy one if it were cheaper than a Rock Island Armory.
I will be content with two. One to keep as an original relic, and one to modify heavily into a combat carry 1911. You know, ambi safety, extended slide stop, funneled magwell, flared ejection port, reliability package, G10 grips, and of course cerakoted with night sights. Reborn, like a phoenix rising from the ashes!!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:35 AM

The people complaining has probably never taken the time to research the shooting complexes CMP has built through the funding of sales of rifles.
Old 11-24-2017, 1:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
The people complaining has probably never taken the time to research the shooting complexes CMP has built through the funding of sales of rifles.
How many of those are located in the western US?
Old 11-24-2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm wondering do they still build these complexes? Where are they located? $200M is a lot of money.

Old 11-24-2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm wondering do they still build these complexes? Where are they located? $200M is a lot of money.

Read all the links here, especially pay attention to the link of the Talladega Marksmanship Park.
http://thecmp.org/competitions/

Built in 2015 at a cost of 20 million dollars
Old 11-24-2017, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Read all the links here, especially pay attention to the link of the Talladega Marksmanship Park.
http://thecmp.org/competitions/

Built in 2015 at a cost of 20 million dollars
Thank you. Now it makes sense what all the money is for.

Old 11-24-2017, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

This 1911A1 Colt from 1940 recently fetched over $7 k at auction. The front
strap is pitted as is the top of the slide! But is a CSR inspected pistol and is
Rare.

My 1941 Colt was given to me in 1995 and although not perfect it is correct and
would command an extreme price so the CMP may make someone
very happy. Although not as rare as the CSR pistol the 1941 RS inspected
samples seem to fetch more,although it’s about condition.

NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”

Last edited by GM4spd; 11-24-2017 at 2:44 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
I just love to hear the cheapskates whine about the price the CMP is going to charge for these 1911's, like their opinion is going to make any difference in the demand. They seem to be living in a Neverland where they think that they should be paying prices from 20 years ago.
If enough of us whiny cheapskates refuse to pay the going price, the guns won't move, and maybe the price will go down. Of course, if enough of you snobby filthy rich types are willing to pay high prices, then maybe the price will go up.

Quote:
Both correct. The CMP does not receive government funding but does get inventory at a greatly discounted price. The sales fund shooting events and other activities. It is a non profit. What I do wonder is how much waste is there? The CEO/Chairman is well compensated at almost $400,000/yr but not overly compensated. They have over $200M in assets and they make a nice profit each year. IMO they could bring prices down so they are obtainable to more people, but with it they would need to set limits otherwise dealers will be buying up all their stock. They have set a 6 rifle limit in recent years but they would need to reduce it to 2. For that reason I am fine with the current pricing structure. However I am curious what the plan is for all those assets.
Wow. I'm gonna chalk that up to same planet, different world. I think $400,000 is insanely overpaid. You telling me you can't find somebody to do that job for $100,000?

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 11-24-2017, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post

I kind of hate to break it to these guys, but they will sell like hotcakes at a grand apiece, The better grades will sell the fastest even though they're going to be more expensive. The price will stabilize the market for the reworked or mismatched pistols already one the market, but correct, unrefinished guns will always bring top dollar.

I have watched the market rise over the years to the point that is is getting hard to afford decent examples. I have a few US Property 1911 and 1911-A1 pistols and I will be anxiously waiting to see what they unearth.

Top to bottom

Left side: 1914 Springfield, 1917 Colt, 1918 Colt.
Right side: 1942 Colt, 1944 R-R, 1944 Ithaca.
What was your address again? And you're going on vacation when?

Jesus man, I'm jelly
Old 11-24-2017, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
If enough of us whiny cheapskates refuse to pay the going price, the guns won't move, and maybe the price will go down. Of course, if enough of you snobby filthy rich types are willing to pay high prices, then maybe the price will go up.
My, my are we feeling a little bit inadequate? The "whiny cheapskate" comment must have touched a nerve.

While I feel no need to justify what I buy and how much I pay, I would like to point out that I am definitely not rich. I am retired on a fixed income and I have to budget my money just like you. It's just that when I buy a gun, I would rather spend the money up front and get a quality gun that pleases me aesthetically and will most likely go up in value. I prefer buying top tier guns instead of bottom fishing for a beat up junk just because it is cheap.

No matter what you think about the prices of the CMP guns they are going to sell quickly. Your stand may sound like some kind of noble gesture, but it is doomed to failure and you are basically pissing into the wind. But as long as it makes you feel better, have at it.
Old 11-24-2017, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
My 1941 Colt was given to me in 1995 and although not perfect it is correct and
would command an extreme price so the CMP may make someone
very happy. Although not as rare as the CSR pistol the 1941 RS inspected
samples seem to fetch more,although it’s about condition.

You have a very nice RS Colt. You forgot to mention that the blued RS inspected Colts like yours also command a premium over the later 1941 parked RS guns.
Old 11-24-2017, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Come on guys. We are lucky to have a shot at these guns period. Obama and McCain originally wanted them destroyed. CMP needs to maintain a tremendously large warehouse and acts as a promotion clearing house for marksmanship training and record keeping. Their prices are BELOW market, and have been for a long time now. Would we prefer these guns were scrapped? Would you rather see them on gunbroker? Proxibid?

My god do we need to rip each other apart over pieces of history we all can appreciate for some instrinsic value above a budget 1911??

Come on now.
Old 11-24-2017, 7:28 PM

I will gladly pay the prices they are asking. I am not a snob nor am I filthy rich. If that somehow makes me a part of some evil machine then so be it.
Old 11-24-2017, 7:52 PM

I'll pass. I seriously doubt there are any pre-war pistols in these lots. I suspect the majority are 70 year old frames with whatever parts were available to keep them running when they passed through whatever depot handled them.

http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov
Old 11-24-2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:

Wow. I'm gonna chalk that up to same planet, different world. I think $400,000 is insanely overpaid. You telling me you can't find somebody to do that job for $100,000?
I should have clarified in relation to other non profit CEOs. For example CEO of American Cancer Society gets $2.5M a year.

Old 11-25-2017, 7:56 AM

If they sell them too cheap, the "flippers" will buy them all up.
Old 11-25-2017, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You telling me you can't find somebody to do that job for $100,000?
Sure, but is it someone you would want to do that job? How deep do you think the pool of candidates is for a CEO of a large non-profit?

Like most things, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict

The same idiots song the same tune. It's always "How can an M1903/M1917/M1 Carbine/M44/M1 Garand cost ______?!? Imuh gonna not get one, they are all just worn out junk! Busides, muh tax dollars should make it free!"

Hint: There are no people who regret buying the "overpriced rattletraps" but many who regret buying not enough.
Old 11-25-2017, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
Busides, muh tax dollars should make it free!"

Those same people need to walk into any Army Surplus store and tell the owner the same thing and see where it gets them
Old 11-25-2017, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

I still doubt there are very many Calguns members who are in in thier late 80's or older that WERE tax payers when a these things were manufactured and probably may actually have used them during military service.
You want what what "your tax dollars" paid for? Maybe they'll have a category for that (younger folks tax payers) so they can send a a box of used up worn out our of spec replacement parts and no frame
Old 11-25-2017, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
The same idiots song the same tune. It's always "How can an M1903/M1917/M1 Carbine/M44/M1 Garand cost ______?!? Imuh gonna not get one, they are all just worn out junk! Busides, muh tax dollars should make it free!"

Hint: There are no people who regret buying the "overpriced rattletraps" but many who regret buying not enough.
I only recall reading one posts here believing the pistols should be free to everyone, and one post that thought vets should get one free. That's hardly "always". Also rack grades generally are worn out.

I did see some opining the pistols are over priced, and believe the starting price should be lower. Then, others that are obviously CMP fanboys, who believe any offering, in any condition, at any price, is Mana from Heaven, and we should thank the gods for blessing us with the opportunity to buy these pistols.

IMHO a rack grade mix master, very possibly with quite a few aftermarket parts, (Orest had mentioned a while back, that quite a few of the 1911s were frame only) is worth $600 or $700 to me.

Will I regret not buying a CMP 1911, probably not. Would I regret paying too much for an "overpriced rattle trap", absolutely.

But if some think $1000 is a helluva deal more power to them, because that is what it is worth to them. Does that make them an idiot to me, no. But on the other hand, if someone thinks $1000 is to much for a rack grade, I don't think that makes them a "cheapskate".

I find it a little telling, only the CMP fan boys felt the need to insult others for their opinions.
Old 11-25-2017, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

If those are going to run a G for rack grade they can keep them.
Old 11-25-2017, 3:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Those same people need to walk into any Army Surplus store and tell the owner the same thing and see where it gets them
Does the Government donate inventory to Army Surplus stores too?
Old 11-25-2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetsjones View Post
Does the Government donate inventory to Army Surplus stores too?
Do Army Surplus Stores spend 20 million dollars on a new state of the art shooting facility?
Old 11-25-2017, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Do Army Surplus Stores spend 20 million dollars on a new state of the art shooting facility?
I see you have no capacity for a decent conversation or an intelligent rebuttal. You prefer to compare apples to oranges.

Comparing a private retail store to a government chartered store that receives its primary stock gratis...

You're a CMP fanboy who is apparently upset because people have criticized the CMP.

By the way I'll ask again, in case you ignored or missed a question I asked you earlier,

Old 11-25-2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
I see you have no capacity for a decent conversation or an intelligent rebuttal. You prefer to compare apples to oranges.

Comparing a private retail store to a government chartered store that receives its primary stock gratis...

You're a CMP fanboy who is apparently upset because people have criticized the CMP.

By the way I'll ask again, in case you ignored or missed a question I asked you earlier,

One needs to ask why CMP is located at Camp Perry (Home of the National Rifle Matches since 1907) and the Anniston Armory (primary depot for small arms repair since WWI).

Old 11-25-2017, 4:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoe View Post
One needs to ask why CMP is located at Camp Perry (Home of the National Rifle Matches since 1907) and the Anniston Armory (primary depot for small arms repair since WWI).
Fair enough, but you left one out...
Old 11-25-2017, 4:18 PM

Western CMP Games and Matches held in Phoenix Arizona and no I am not a CMP fan boy.
I am also not a "entitled" whiner that thinks these rifles, pistols ,etc,etc are "owed" to me
Old 11-25-2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, but you left one out...
which one would that be?

Old 11-25-2017, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Western CMP Games and Matches held in Phoenix Arizona and no I am not a CMP fan boy.
I am also not a "entitled" whiner that thinks these rifles, pistols ,etc,etc are "owed" to me

Well so you know I don't think they are owed to me either, I simply think they are overpriced. Yet there are those who have posted in this tread that seem to think if someone is of the opinion they are overpriced, they ascribe the attribute of entitlement to them.
Old 11-25-2017, 4:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoe View Post
which one would that be?
There is a third location, the new range. I'll answer my question for you, it's about 1/2 hour away from Anniston.
Old 11-25-2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
There is a third location, the new range. I'll answer my question for you, it's about 1/2 hour away from Anniston.
Oh. I counted that as part of Anniston, because of the way the State, Feds and CMP worked the deal.

Old 11-25-2017, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well so you know I don't think they are owed to me either, I simply think they are overpriced. Yet there are those who have posted in this tread that seem to think if someone is of the opinion they are overpriced, they ascribe the attribute of entitlement to them.
I am curious what you think the market value of a GI M1 Garand is.
Care to share how you determine "market value"?