Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2020, 4:10 PM
prreich prreich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 122
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default Defective gun from Turner's- won't fix

In October I purchased a NAA revolver from Turners in San Diego. Since the only one they had was the display model, I paid for it and didn't give it much thought. After the wait period, I picked it up and when I got home I noticed that the front sight had broken off. I went back the next business day (October 19) and had them ship it back for repairs. The gun came back to me on November 20, a full month after I sent it out. I thought that was the end of my problems, but under close examination, the timing on the revolver is off and you can see the side of the cylinder through the barrel on all chambers, as well as noticeably see that the cylinder is not correctly aligned (pictures included). I brought the gun back to the store today (December 1st) and was told that they were unwilling to fix the issue and that I would have to send the gun back on my own dime and 'pay for the full repair fees' since it had been more than 30 days since the purchase. Keep in mind that the gun was in repair for the entire month, and that it has been in my possession for under 2 weeks. I have fired exactly ZERO rounds through the gun because I have safety concerns about firing a gun that is out of time.

Some of the highlights of the conversation I had with the manager/employees at Turners:

-Since it has been more than 30 days it wasn't their problem (keep in mind that it was in repair for an entire month, and that I've had it less than 2 weeks)
-It's not a big issue, just shoot it and see if it works (I'd rather not shoot a gun that's out of time)
-It's not their problem, if the manufacturer sold it to them it must be a safe gun (even though it is noticeably out of time)
-And my favorite one: It's only a $300 gun, so what do I expect? I got what I paid for (I have guns more and less expensive than this one, cost is no excuse for a defective product)

We have all heard nightmare stories about Turner's, but this is my first time experiencing it for myself. I am ashamed that I have purchased multiple guns from them before simply because they are one of the closer shops around. I feel this experience was a disservice to the community as a whole, especially statements dismissing my safety concerns, saying that it's 'not our problem that the manufacturer had a problem with the gun', and that 'it's a $300 gun, what do you expect?'.

I cannot with clear conscience support or recommend a business to others that dismiss a potentially dangerous defect and are not willing to back their sales in this way and I would urge other's to be cautious as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201121_141409.jpg (111.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 20201121_222908.jpg (72.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 20201121_223124.jpg (84.4 KB, 140 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2020, 6:17 PM
Yodaman Yodaman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,587
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default Defective gun from Turner's- won't fix

Again, Turners suuuuuuuucks!


They are not an gun store that cares about their customers. They are an outdoor store that cares about the $$$ and not customer service or good employees IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2020, 6:46 PM
slamfire1's Avatar
slamfire1 slamfire1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 728
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

A number of companies have worthless warranties. A locksmith told me of an expensive lock company, I think it was Lockmaster. Lockmaster is selling a very expensive electronic lock that they know is defective and will fail. And the warranty is one year from the day of manufacture,not the day of installation. Since locks sit on shelves, the warrant may be over before it is installed. But this works to Lockmaster's advantage. They know which products are inherently defective, you don't, and they have intentionally created a worthless warranty that maximizes their profit.

Turners has turned its back on you. By kicking you to the curb they are cutting their costs and maximizing their profit. For profit companies exist to make the most money now, devil with the future.

So, it is on you to get your pistol back to the manufacturer, so go do it before that warranty clocks out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2020, 8:30 PM
prreich prreich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 122
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Again, Turners suuuuuuuucks!


They are not an gun store that cares about their customers. They are an outdoor store that cares about the $$$ and not customer service or good employees IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% agree. It's sad that big businesses are displacing local owned shops.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2020, 9:10 PM
Milsurp1's Avatar
Milsurp1 Milsurp1 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Not in California
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

https://www.severson.com/wp-content/...w-019-7946.pdf
Tell Turner’s “Not so fast.”
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2020, 9:22 PM
9Cal_OC's Avatar
9Cal_OC 9Cal_OC is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: OC
Posts: 2,817
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Not siding with Turners but don’t they make you initial that all defect and issues need to go to the manufacturer and not them?

I do see the issue that perhaps buying a floor model isn’t something that’d be in pristine condition.

There’s ThatOneTurnersGuy on here that you can PM and he’d probably assist you as he’s on the corporate side of things.
__________________
Freedom isn't free...

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2020, 5:49 AM
keith1911's Avatar
keith1911 keith1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,549
iTrader: 52 / 100%
Default

Since it is a manufacturer’s defect and the gun is legally registered to you I don’t see why people think that any gun shop is responsible for fixing it. It’s the manufacturer’s responsibility. Contact them first.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2020, 7:13 AM
slamfire1's Avatar
slamfire1 slamfire1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 728
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
Since it is a manufacturer’s defect and the gun is legally registered to you I don’t see why people think that any gun shop is responsible for fixing it. It’s the manufacturer’s responsibility. Contact them first.
I understand your point of view, and had the OP ordered the thing from Bud's Gun shop and had it delivered to Turner's, then the correct thing to do is contact the manufacture direct.

But, if it is stocked, displayed, and sold within a store, then Turner's is putting their "brand" on it. They took ownership and were not acting as a pass through.

Just when do we send cars, electronics, etc, back to the manufacturer? Who needs a retail store if they won't stand behind the things they stock in the store?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2020, 7:50 AM
sixysixss sixysixss is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
Since it is a manufacturer’s defect and the gun is legally registered to you I don’t see why people think that any gun shop is responsible for fixing it. It’s the manufacturer’s responsibility. Contact them first.
Agree. I had problems with a Sig and a Walther. Each time I contacted the manufacturer and got the problems resolved. Never tried to go back to where I bought them. Both Sig and Walther paid for shipping both ways and fixed the problems.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2020, 8:36 AM
keith1911's Avatar
keith1911 keith1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,549
iTrader: 52 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamfire1 View Post
I understand your point of view, and had the OP ordered the thing from Bud's Gun shop and had it delivered to Turner's, then the correct thing to do is contact the manufacture direct.

But, if it is stocked, displayed, and sold within a store, then Turner's is putting their "brand" on it. They took ownership and were not acting as a pass through.

Just when do we send cars, electronics, etc, back to the manufacturer? Who needs a retail store if they won't stand behind the things they stock in the store?
That’s not how firearm repair works. Doesn’t matter what we do with cars or anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-02-2020, 9:03 AM
The War Wagon's Avatar
The War Wagon The War Wagon is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: da' 'BURGH
Posts: 10,357
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Question

Uhmmm... what did NAA say?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-02-2020, 9:08 AM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 958
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Screw Turners and just go straight to thee source. Why not write an email to the company explaining the situation and issues? If they have any amount of integrity they'll stand by their product and make it right. If they don't make it right I'd chalk it up to experience and only buy quality firearms from this point on, never shop at Turners again and never buy anything from NAA.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-02-2020, 11:37 AM
prreich prreich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 122
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quick upadate: I was able to call NAA after lunch and spoke with their service rep. They took down my info and said they will email me a form tomorrow and then look to ship it back for warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-04-2020, 7:50 AM
NissanPreRunner NissanPreRunner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Posts: 440
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default Defective gun from Turner's- won't fix

Did the manufacturer send paperwork back with it? I’ve sent numerous guns back and have always gotten a list of parts that they replaced or fixed and what they did to fix it. Sounds odd that they would send a gun back without test firing a full five rounds cylinder from the cylinder to make sure the timing was correct.

Last edited by NissanPreRunner; 12-04-2020 at 7:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2021, 11:04 AM
Mail Clerk Mail Clerk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,330
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prreich View Post
In October I purchased a NAA revolver from Turners in San Diego. Since the only one they had was the display model, I paid for it and didn't give it much thought. After the wait period, I picked it up and when I got home I noticed that the front sight had broken off. I went back the next business day (October 19) and had them ship it back for repairs. The gun came back to me on November 20, a full month after I sent it out. I thought that was the end of my problems, but under close examination, the timing on the revolver is off and you can see the side of the cylinder through the barrel on all chambers, as well as noticeably see that the cylinder is not correctly aligned (pictures included). I brought the gun back to the store today (December 1st) and was told that they were unwilling to fix the issue and that I would have to send the gun back on my own dime and 'pay for the full repair fees' since it had been more than 30 days since the purchase. Keep in mind that the gun was in repair for the entire month, and that it has been in my possession for under 2 weeks. I have fired exactly ZERO rounds through the gun because I have safety concerns about firing a gun that is out of time.

Some of the highlights of the conversation I had with the manager/employees at Turners:

-Since it has been more than 30 days it wasn't their problem (keep in mind that it was in repair for an entire month, and that I've had it less than 2 weeks)
-It's not a big issue, just shoot it and see if it works (I'd rather not shoot a gun that's out of time)
-It's not their problem, if the manufacturer sold it to them it must be a safe gun (even though it is noticeably out of time)
-And my favorite one: It's only a $300 gun, so what do I expect? I got what I paid for (I have guns more and less expensive than this one, cost is no excuse for a defective product)

We have all heard nightmare stories about Turner's, but this is my first time experiencing it for myself. I am ashamed that I have purchased multiple guns from them before simply because they are one of the closer shops around. I feel this experience was a disservice to the community as a whole, especially statements dismissing my safety concerns, saying that it's 'not our problem that the manufacturer had a problem with the gun', and that 'it's a $300 gun, what do you expect?'.

I cannot with clear conscience support or recommend a business to others that dismiss a potentially dangerous defect and are not willing to back their sales in this way and I would urge other's to be cautious as well.
prreich,

I would try and contact them if e-mail is available. They just might pdf a shipping label to you for a free repair under warranty.

Mail Clerk
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-01-2021, 4:58 PM
darkstar2000 darkstar2000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Ontario, California USA
Posts: 48
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

It's easier to blame Turners right? When you picked up your firearm do you know your supposed to inspect the firearm? So instead of blaming turners why not next time inspect the firearm before you pick it up. Just my two cents

Last edited by darkstar2000; 02-01-2021 at 5:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:06 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.