Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvaudo View Post
I'm going to bump this thread instead of starting a new one since there is some good solar knowledge in here already.

Thinking of pairing an eb240 (want a titan but they are not available and quite a bit more) for backup purposes and was thinking about pairing it with a unique solar fridge

bluetti has 2400Wh

the unique solar fridges specs are

Total Watt. Hr. Draw (24V DC): 520 Wh/ 24 hrs (set to -14˚C freezer/+4˚C fridge performance in a +25˚C ambient)
Total Amp. Hr. Draw (24V DC): 19.8 Ah/ 24 hrs (set to -14˚C freezer/+4˚C fridge performance in a +25˚C ambient)
Power Consumption: 52 W on 12V/24V
Average Run Current: 4.3A on 12V & 2.2A on 24V
I figure Id get the AC adaptor and run the fridge off AC in the garage and be able to switch it over to DC from the bluetti in power outage situations.

I'm trying to figure out how long it would run and how many solar panels I would need to have to keep it running indefinitely if possible. In southern California so we get a good amount of sunshine.

Total solar newbie but the watt hour draw looks like 520 per day and the battery holds 2400 (probably not all usable). Almost 5 days without recharge? I'm assuming I'd need to generate 520 Wh per day to keep it running. I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

if this is less possible than Id like I'm probably going to go with a iceco unit like axhoaxho mentioned in this thread

Thanks for any help.
Just a reference video -- The ICECO VL60 12V fridge/freezer (60 liters volume) paired with a Jackery 500 (and a 100W solar panel.)

It seems this setup could run the fridge/freezer 'indefinitely,' provided if there is sun for the solar panel.

https://youtu.be/k67Kg2kaaGk

Another reference video -- An 12V ICECO VL60 paired with a Jackery 1000. The temperatures were set for 0F (yes, zero degree) at the freezer, about 36F-38F ECO Mode at the fridge.

It ran for 51 hours. Not bad for a 60-liters fridge/freezer.

https://youtu.be/lwFv2LryZ74

Last edited by axhoaxho; 09-29-2020 at 3:30 PM..
Old 09-29-2020, 10:23 AM

These Icecos are quite nice, except costing same as decent full size fridge!
Then again, this is a niche product we are talking about..
Old 09-29-2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
These Icecos are quite nice, except costing same as decent full size fridge!
Then again, this is a niche product we are talking about..
Good thing about the VL is that... It is built like a tank and can run at (up to) 40 degrees tilt; so it can also be used for road trip, camping, tailgate party, range day, emergency power outage, bug-out, etc.

It used SECOP (Germany) compressor, and has 5 years warranty.

When spreading out the usage, the cost is easier to digest (as so I told myself. )

Last edited by axhoaxho; 09-29-2020 at 3:48 PM..
Old 11-12-2020, 7:52 PM

Just read that Goal Zero released its biggest model -- YETI 6000X.

https://youtu.be/p3I5chg3_n4

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portab...m_source=zaius

Last edited by axhoaxho; 11-12-2020 at 7:58 PM..
Old 11-16-2020, 11:10 AM

Was excited about this goal zero 1500x but than saw the reviews.

Will wait for GZ to work out the kinks before I get one.

https://www.rei.com/product/184367/g...-power-station
Old 11-16-2020, 11:17 AM

Plus right now REI has a 20% off
Old 11-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

That 6000 is only a 2000 watt device. It simply has a larger battery to run longer. It's not a 6000 watt device as far as output is concerned.

Same thing with the 3000 unit. Only 2000 watts but with a smaller battery for shorter run times.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 01-30-2021, 1:12 AM

Mikwaukee joins the game.

Quote:
Milwaukee MX Fuel CARRY-ON™ 3600W/1800W POWER SUPPLY

Our MX FUEL™ CARRY-ON™ 3600W/1800W Power Supply provides the best temporary power for the job. You can power more on-demand with efficient, quiet, and portable power anywhere. The portable power supply provides 3600 peak watts, 1800 continuous watts of pure sine inverter energy, powering everything from your high demand 15A tools to sensitive electronics. The compact size, no emissions, and quiet operation of the power supply unit allow you to use it safely in confined spaces indoors.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ply/MXF002-2XC
https://youtu.be/VpmgdrTMZYQ

https://youtu.be/Yie1zCVx7Yk
Old 01-30-2021, 3:46 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Ingertyek Flex 1500 systems? Looking for power back up for fridge or chest freezer. Liking the modularity of it, similar to the Titan system but less cost (and power).

https://inergytek.com/products/flex-...resale-deposit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2021, 8:55 PM

axhoaxho Just read that Goal Zero released its biggest model -- YETI 6000X.

This is my next and last purchase with the Nomad Pack.
Old 01-30-2021, 9:38 PM

There certainly is a place for portable battery power, but all the talk of fridges, freezers etc . . . if you want to power stuff like that during multiple day outages in an area that you have reason to suspect will be having frequent outages - why wouldn't you go with a solar system for your house with the Tesla battery backup? If you purchase a system designed to run your whole house, then you have no worries and all you would need is a medium sized generator to charge the batteries in an emergency that coincided with a cloudy day.
Old 02-02-2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
There certainly is a place for portable battery power, but all the talk of fridges, freezers etc . . . if you want to power stuff like that during multiple day outages in an area that you have reason to suspect will be having frequent outages - why wouldn't you go with a solar system for your house with the Tesla battery backup? If you purchase a system designed to run your whole house, then you have no worries and all you would need is a medium sized generator to charge the batteries in an emergency that coincided with a cloudy day.

I think most of these solar generator systems offer some sort of portability as well as being able to run appliances to a limited extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2021, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
PG&E (and nearly every other utility in the US) does not allow generators to charge whole house batteries. Due to this, Tesla’s firmware will prevent the battery from charging from the mains while the power is out.

https://www.tesla.com/support/energy...erators-anchor
Quote:
Powerwall is installed between the utility meter and the transfer switch and can charge from solar while the grid is operational. However, the Powerwall and generator are not directly integrated which means Powerwall does not charge from the generator.
Electrically, it isn’t hard to connect a system in such a way that the generator could charge the battery, assuming you could convince the battery’s firmware to allow it. Best of luck to you if your house burns down though as unapproved electrical work is a main reason for house insurance damage claims to be rejected.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12

Last edited by unusedusername; 02-02-2021 at 11:38 PM..
Old 02-03-2021, 2:55 PM

Quote:
If I were in a rural area with frequent power outages or if I could justify the cost of solar to offset a high electric bill, I think a system like this would be great. It just does not make $ sense for me.

I think I can keep my chest freezer working indefinitely in good weather using the relatively inexpensive solar system I have for camping.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

I just recently started exploring solar generators. Picked up a Jackery 240 on sale for $220 shipped. Just added a 180 watt solar panel from BougeRV for $180 and cable adapter for the Jackery. The panel is for mounting outdoors and has a 25 year warranty. It's a minimal investment that will allow me to learn about my solar options before going all in.

For the time being I'm learning towards buying something like the large capacity Goal Zero or Bluetti.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Great info. Can’t believe I missed this post the first time around
Old 02-23-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped and ready View Post
axhoaxho Just read that Goal Zero released its biggest model -- YETI 6000X.

This is my next and last purchase with the Nomad Pack.
Yes, me too.

I'm marinating the idea of getting a YETI 6000X and a breaker kit, for my man cave (aka, my separate garage.)

Old 02-25-2021, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Jackery Explorer 500 is on sale for $420. Regular price $500. I just placed an order on Amazon. Free shipping but $43 for sales tax so it was $463 which is still a good deal when compared to $550. I used points from my Amazon credit card to bring the price down to $140.

I'm hoping the Jackery 500 will power the fridge for a couple of days. According to a calculator I found on line, volts x amps = watts. My fridge is 115 v @ 3.0 amps = 345 watts. I'm hoping the fridge only draws that much power when the compressor kicks in, but I'm not sure. I was thinking about buying a watt meter, but I'd only need to use it one time. I really don't have anything else to check right now. The Jackery will tell me the power draw and the remaining percentage of battery power.

The Jackery allows passthrough, so I can run it while it charges. I have a 180 watt solar panel but I think it only generates about 40 watts in full sun. I'm still waiting for the solar panel and Jackery 500 to arrive. I have a 2000 watt gas inverter generator that I can run to power the fridge or charge the Jackery. I'd rather not run the generator because of noise and gas fumes. That's why I'm looking at solar in the first place.

Last edited by brassburnz; 02-25-2021 at 1:13 PM..