Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-13-2018, 5:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Default 2m radio

Looking into getting my Technician license & was shopping radios. I'm interested in 2m mobile to keep in my truck and my research has led me to these three models:

Yaesu FT-2980R https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-2...SABEgKQjPD_BwE

Kenwood TM-281A https://www.gigaparts.com/kenwood-tm...iABEgI2ZvD_BwE

Icom IC-2300H https://www.gigaparts.com/icom-ic-23...SABEgKMtPD_BwE

Any one better than the other, any one to scratch off the list and is there some other radio I should be looking at?
Old 07-13-2018, 6:11 PM

I'm a fan of Yaesu.

That said, I would suggest a dual band (2M/70cm) over a 2M only radio.

If you're looking into getting your license - I always recommend to get a Baofeng UV-5R/BF-F8+/UV-5X3 handheld with a Nagoya antenna. That way you can experiment with the radio (without transmitting) until you pass the test and can use it while you are getting started and learning the ropes. You can always keep it as a spare or give it to a friend to get them interested in the hobby.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:00 PM

I've had the yaesu for several years and have had no problems with it.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-13-2018, 7:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am also a fan of Yaesu in general but all three are great radios. Narrow your choice by deciding on differentiating features. Each radio has a few features that the others don’t. Decide on what appeals to you and go with it.
Old 07-13-2018, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

I'd recommend a hand held to start. The Yaesu FT 60 is a workhorse 2m and 70 cm radio. Or go with the digital)/analog dual channel display, Yaesu 2??. The HT means you can transmit and receive when not in your truck. You can add a mount, mic, and external antenna if you look like.
Old 07-13-2018, 9:11 PM

I too would recommend a handheld FIRST. A Baofeng with a Nagoya antenna for a budget, or a Yaesu VX series if you have the coin.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks all, but have no need for ht in my life. Just looking for the best bang radio for the buck. Now I see the kenwood has no squelch knob & no lower power setting.... bummer. I am (for the moment) only interested in 2m simplex for its range vs cb, only thinking off road at this point.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 PM

Yaesu VX-6R (or E if you can find one on Ebay) are a great way to go.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:21 AM

I'd recommend finding out what brand people in your area use.

I know people who frequent Rubicon and other areas near by use Yaesu.

I've got two of Yaesu FT 60.

If you are going to be in the Sierra, please avoid the Baofengs. They have piss poor quality control and can/do bleed over to other frequencies:

Here is what non-compliant looks like:

Left to right on the chart is frequency.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baofang comparison chart 2015-11-06.jpg (97.5 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg Baofang non comp 01 2015-11-06.jpg (50.0 KB, 487 views)
Old 07-14-2018, 8:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC-J View Post

I've got two of Yaesu FT 60.

If you are going to be in the Sierra, please avoid the Baofengs. They have piss poor quality control and can/do bleed over to other frequencies:

Here is what non-compliant looks like:

Trimmed quote. I’m an RF engineer but not familiar with what the second harmonic level requirement is for these radios, do you know it offhand?

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Calguns Addict

$25 Baofeng uv5 is good for a throw away/give away/starter ht.
You get what you pay for. They are surprisingly good for the price.
Personally I'd choose the ht the OP posted in that exact order of preference.
When I was in the fire service we used Kenwood in all our vehicles and ht use. They could take some real abuse.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-15-2018, 1:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
Looking into getting my Technician license & was shopping radios. I'm interested in 2m mobile to keep in my truck and my research has led me to these three models:

Yaesu FT-2980R https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-2...SABEgKQjPD_BwE

Kenwood TM-281A https://www.gigaparts.com/kenwood-tm...iABEgI2ZvD_BwE

Icom IC-2300H https://www.gigaparts.com/icom-ic-23...SABEgKMtPD_BwE

Any one better than the other, any one to scratch off the list and is there some other radio I should be looking at?
Out of the list I would strike off the Kenwood, I think the low is 25w and that most of the time for repeaters 5w is more than enough with a real antenna with a good ground plane. And from I've been told the menu tells you to not operate at high for prolonged periods of time.

the Yaesu is a heavy sucker like the 2900 predecessor but very sturdy and has great audio. Also look at the 65w Yaesu FTM-3100R, a very affordable and compact 2m rig that can has 5-25(?)-65w output steps. I have its fusion C4FM equipped brother but never use the digital mode.

I haven't used the icom but the 2200H seems to be well liked so I hope the 2300H keeps all the good attributes.

Last edited by CalNRA; 07-15-2018 at 1:19 AM..
Old 07-15-2018, 2:37 AM

I have two Kenwood TM-281A. Great and reliable for 4 yrs now. Avoid a Hand Held as your first radio. The low power can be very discouraging for a new Ham.
GL and 73.

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
California Rifle & Pistol Association Member

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر
Old 07-15-2018, 4:47 AM

Default Dual Band

My first radio after I got my ticket was an FT-60 and I think it is a great starter radio.
I picked up a 2900 which is a great radio, not that it was a mistake but I should have bought a dual band.

I still run the 2900 on my desk but have an 8800 in the car and a TM-V71 on the desk also.
Old 07-16-2018, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the info, I'll keep researching.
Old 07-23-2018, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

2m is only good as long as the repeaters haven’t gone kaput when their hilltop generators run out of fuel or their antenna towers haven’t collapsed due to the “BIG 9.0.” Then 2m is only good for line of sight and whatever radiator (ham speak for “antenna”) you have. i.e. your 2m FM signal will only be good for a couple miles at best. (I’m not talking about “2m sideband” either, for that’s a whole ‘nother topic).

Get an HF radio and your “General Class” ham radio license. The “Extra class” is even better because it gives you more band coverage to operate on. HF works around the world and does not use a repeater. Sideband (HF) is where it’s at.

I like the Yaesu 857d.... 70cm, 2m thru 160m. It’s Small, relatively compact and you can find them new and used and in excellent condition.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 07-23-2018 at 9:04 PM..
Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My logic, large earthquake, I need an HT for moving around and doing work, the local radio club has many ELMERS that have established HF installations. They are usually older folks and should remain stationary. The plan would get them up and running and make them the Net Control for an area. All the HAM repeaters will go to ARES, so they are out of the picture. Some Elmers have gone as far as setting up private GMRS repeaters and running local nets, divided by geographic location.

So we have GMRS sub-nets, 2m sub-nest, 6m sub-nets and the ELMERS controlling the traffic.

An FT-60 allows me to monitor Public Safety, Marine VHF, GMRS, MURS, 2m, 1.44m, 440 and air band. As well talk to the ELMER or 2M sub-net.

People are not going to be sitting by the HF/Mobile rigs, they need to work and help themselves, when day is done, they can get an out of the neighborhood/town updates.

I can also use my inReach outside my AO to contact people for information, if the inReach server is working, most likely too busy working.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Californio; 07-24-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Old 07-24-2018, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
My logic, large earthquake, I need an HT for moving around and doing work, the local radio club has many ELMERS that have established HF installations. They are usually older folks and should remain stationary. The plan would get them up and running and make them the Net Control for an area. All the HAM repeaters will go to ARES, so they are out of the picture. Some Elmers have gone as far as setting up private GMRS repeaters and running local nets, divided by geographic location.

So we have GMRS sub-nets, 2m sub-nest, 6m sub-nets and the ELMERS controlling the traffic.

An FT-60 allows me to monitor Public Safety, Marine VHF, GMRS, MURS, 2m, 1.44m, 440 and air band. As well talk to the ELMER or 2M sub-net.

People are not going to be sitting by the HF/Mobile rigs, they need to work and help themselves, when day is done, they can get an out of the neighborhood/town updates.

I can also use my inReach outside my AO to contact people for information, if the inReach server is working, most likely too busy working.
Don’t think those “old timers” at a ham radio club with their HF rigs and VHF/UHF equipment are going to be doing ANY “controlling,” let alone having a “net controller” running anything for a while after a big devistating disaster. It will be mass confusion, chaos and looting, more than likely and probably little to NO control of anything. The old timers will probably be the first to get stepped on. “Net control” is nothing more than a roll call for some DCS volunteers running a 2m hilltop disaster net and on a weekly basis. About the only time they ever get activated on a “grand scale (not) is during the Rose parade every year. Which by the way is a peaceful event, absent any life and death chaos nor madness.

Again, what’s the plan when the huge earthquake hits the SOCAL area and takes out all running water, fiber optics communication lines and power for more than 6 weeks? There’s estimated to be ove 600 structure fires just within LA city limits alone. Generators on a hilltop powering repeaters won’t last that long but a few days. That by the way is what is speculated to come in the future. When exactly the “big one” is gonna hit, nobody knows.

My point is, vhf/uhf is good. But to get information out in the far off distance and without relying on a repeater, HF + a random wire + a 12v battery is king. Even 5 watts SSB can get an HF signal out far, provided RF propagation is good.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 07-24-2018 at 9:09 PM..
Old 07-25-2018, 9:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Well the local club does train, does have assets in place, hospitals etc., does have two mobile trucks with all the toys including HF and does have government support. Since I don't live in the big city, the geography will close us off from looters coming in, we just have local bangers to deal with. Biggest problem will be fire, which may well burn to the sea, worthless college pukes that will need their butts wiped as the preparation is a debit card. Since we get a lot of wild fires the private GMRS nets are well established, I hear four that come up every time we have a fire. So we are a little more organized than most.

Biggest problem will be 1/3 of hospital and public safety workers commute and they will be cut off, as recently seen this year.

I have an HF receiver but myself and those close to me have 2m and tools such as chainsaws, hardhats and other equipment while we wait for Big Green which depending on the extent will be 30-90 days.

Yes it will be very very ugly, talking to someone in Nebraska does nothing for me.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 07-25-2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
talking to someone in Nebraska does nothing for me.
I can see many reasons when talking to someone outside of 2m range would be valuable. Finding out about weather and what direction it is heading, possible nuclear fallout, roaming gangs and what direction they are heading, etc, and in a lesser localized emergency you may be able to contact someone in Nebraska who is watching your emergency on TV and has more information than you do. Also there is of course notifications - for example there is a HAM that I know that lives thousands of miles from me & 2 miles from my mom, we have plans to relay messages so she doesn't worry about me.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:29 AM
Calguns Addict

I was just looking for trail coms better than cb/ssb
Old 07-27-2018, 4:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
I was just looking for trail coms better than cb/ssb
That's where the Yaesu FT2900R/2980R shine. They have no fans and are cooled by huge heatsinks. This will keep the dirt and dust out. Just keep power to the lowest required to prevent overheating. Only crank up to 75/80 watts as needed.

I paid Gigaparts to do the MARS mod. In case of an emergency, I can use the MURS band if need be.

I have mine paired with a 5/8 wave Wilson 2mtr magnet mount.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes it will be very very ugly, talking to someone in Nebraska does nothing for me.
Why waste your time talking to Nebraska? 80 meters during the day propagates between 20-300 miles. Very short distance until night time when it opens up. I talk to a buddy of mine from Riverside to Bishop, all on 80m (or 60m). Try doing that with 2m FM. It won’t ever happen.

20m is “KING” during the day time however. You can go from San Diego to Sacramento with a beam antenna and running barefoot and under 100 watts, provide you understand how the bands and propagation works.

Then there’s always the “magic band” (6m ssb) which works best mostly during the day and gives plenty of skip for ranges between 50-500 miles.

The distances listed are perfect to get communication information exchanged outside of a wide disaster zone and without going too far for any real benefit....like Nebraska.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 07-27-2018 at 11:34 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Update?