Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-28-2021, 3:43 PM

Found this thread. Thank you. I'll be following suit.

Sent from my GAU-7 using Tapatalk
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 08-28-2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCliff View Post
Hi,

I have the basic policy from both USCCA an CCW Safe in order to take advantage of the overlapping coverage, the strengths of one to cover the weaknesses of the other. For ~$500 a year it gives me peace of mind.

I realize this may not fit into other folks' budgets. If I had to choose only one I think it would be CCW Safe.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
What aspects of the respective policies did you figure compliment each other?
Old 08-29-2021, 7:58 PM

Smile

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
In the legal defense scenarios, CCW Safe "Defender" has no caps on attorney fees, expert witness fees, or investigation fees, plus a higher bail amount is covered. From their member benefit page: https://ccwsafe.com/page/23776

* Access to our 24-hour Emergency Hotline
* Critical Response Team onsite response
* Bail coverage to $500K
* Vetting of attorneys by National Trial Counsel
* No cap on attorney fees covered upfront
* No cap on investigation fees covered upfront
* No cap on expert witness fees covered upfront
* All trial costs covered upfront
* Firearm replacement during trial
* Coverage for spouse and children under 18 (in-home only)
* Up to $250/day loss-of-wages during criminal or civil trial
* Licensed counseling coverage up to 10 sessions (or $1,500)
* Crime-scene cleanup in-home up to $3K (only if needed and other benefits or services that are standard with all plans)
* Appeals and expungement coverage of costs

However, there is no coverage for civil liability with CCW Safe. It's an add-on. This is where USCCA comes in offering twice the civil liability coverage in the basic plan: https://www.deltadefense.com/offers/...art&#sds-chart

Self-Defense Liability Insurance for Claims Expenses & Damages

(Self-Defense Liability Insurance Policy issued to the USCCA by Universal Fire & Casualty Insurance Company)

$2,000,000 - Each Claim Limit

$750 - Per Day for Loss of Earnings [Higher than CCW Safe]

(Subject to Each Claim Limit)

Self-Defense Liability Insurance for Defense Expenses

Self-Defense Liability Insurance Policy issued to the USCCA by Universal Fire & Casualty Insurance Company

$250,000 - Defense Expense Limit [CCW Safe is not capped]

$6,000 - Incidental Expense Limit [Have not determined what "incidentals" are, clean up?]

(Subject to Defense Expense Limit)

$50,000 - Cost of Bail Bond Limit [CCW Safe is 10x more]

Basically, CCW Safe for any criminal charges and USCCA for civil lawsuits, plus the higher loss of earnings benefit.

CCW Safe basic plan (Defender) - $209/year.

USCCA basic plan (Gold) - $299/year.

Sure, it's probably more than I'll ever need. But quite often, anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

BassCliff
John 3:16-17
Old 08-29-2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
"indicates" means nothing.

What any agent says or what happens on a chat means zero. An agent is a salesperson. Some people choose to believe them, so goes. Read the contract, every one of them specifically states that nothing anyone says matters, the written contract matters.

Representation when you need it for any legal matter, civil or criminal isn't about anything but quality. If you think for an instant that the quality of representation of some website benefit program is as good as you need, have at it. You will never meet anyone until you need the representation and that is about the worst way to go.

When something goes very badly you need your own attorney, not a doc in the box type coverage.

Call any of these website benefits programs and ask the name of the attorney who will represent you. Ask if you can call them and ask them about the coverage. You will get excuses and the reason is simple. They lawyers are nothing more than a bunch of names on a list, they were contacted and asked if they want to participate in some program and for that they get some money each month. You have no idea of the qualifications or experience of any of them. They are a contact list.

Call any of these programs and ask them them the name of the DA in your county and you'll get a "hold one moment please" as they try to look it up. They have no clue. They don't know the Sheriff, the Chief of Police, the DA the Judges, they don't know anyone and they don't even know you past your credit card number. However, people will entrust their freedom after having to use a gun in SD to these people. Does that sound reasonable especially when its based on forum talk or what someone said someone told them?

You can get an attorney on a monthly retainer for fees ranging from low to high based on how much interaction you want with them. For example, you can ask for only access when the time comes and you need them or; you can specify you want to have a certain amount of time available for questions during the retainer period. You will actually meet that attorney and they aren't some "agent" who you will never see and probably doesn't even work there next month.

Your own attorney will actually know the DA, the Sheriff, the Chief of Police, the courts and judges. They will know who to talk to and when. You'll know their experience and qualifications. Can anyone say that about the website programs? Not a chance.

When you get into a bind and need an attorney all these things will become as important as what happened, everyone knows this, cases are often won and lost because of relationships, that is the way it goes. The Judge sitting on the case is as important as anything else and so is the cooperation your attorney might get rather than some wet behind the ears lawyer who has never defended a case in your county.

People by insurance from websites all the time, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't but this isn't about some water heater leak where you find out the because the leak happened a month ago you aren't covered, its about you going to the klink or not.

There is a common theme here, the money that gets paid on your behalf and which program will ask for money back and which "indicates" they won't. Dear friends, the money isn't the issue here, the representation is because going cheap isn't the way. What good does all the money paid out on your behalf do if you end up in prison or bankrupted for life? It won't make any difference.

All these website benefit programs are a one size fits all. They send you nifty stickers for your windows, maybe even a nicely printed pack of material which means nothing, you can get almost all of that for free with a search.

A 24x7 phone number? You can get that too with a retained attorney and when you have to make that call they know you and you know them. They aren't the contact list attorney that happened to be the round robin that night and tag, they are it.

Your own attorney also has a contact list but the big difference is that they really do know each other and if you need a team you want everyone on that team to know each other and not having just met for 5 minutes in some hallway outside your holding cell.

Be smart, don't believe what salespeople tell you over the phone or on some chat. They are selling you. They put "CCW" in their materials and everyone goes "oooooh, they are the people for me". How do you know, have they presented their qualification and experience other than to create some compilation and tell you how many total years of experience they have?

For those who got the training, remember when some instructor added up the total years of experience in the class and said "look, we have 1250 years of experience here..."? So what, anyone can do that. What matters more is how much experience your attorney has and if you think some $24.95 a month premium that goes to pay for bumper stickers and printed glossies is going to get you the best experience, think again.

How many of you go to a Doc in the Box for health care? Right, you probably go there in an emergency if at all. Now you'll trust your freedom to a Lawyer in a box?

You might be thinking how expensive it will be or that if you travel you want that number that works everywhere. With your own attorney that number will work from anywhere and it might not be any more expensive than those website programs.

Like many other activities once you hear "CCW" a lot of people can be sold a lot of things if the term "CCW" is used. From cars to motorcycles, boats and yes, guns, the minute someone says they specialize in this or that some segment of that demo will buy in.

I am not saying these website benefit programs don't work but do some very good due diligence and asking their "agent" isn't due diligence nor is forum talk or reading a website. It will cost you nothing to speak with an attorney in your county, someone who actually has experience there and they can explain and show you their experience and create a retainer program that gives you that important number which when you call, you'll speak to them, not someone who just clicks away on some contact list.

Each county is different and the chances are that if you need an attorney it's going to be in your county. Your county is where your CCW was issued. It was your Sheriff or Chief of Police that approved it. You want your attorney to know them, at least enough to know how they operate and so on. It makes a huge difference.

If you have no other choice, sure, the website programs are there but if you think they give you peace of mind remember, you don't know what you don't know and for this issue that can be the difference between your freedom and not having it.

You get what you pay for. You'll probably spend more than $50 a month in ammo but even compare the $19.95 bare bones to the $24.95 higher level?

That agent you spoke to isn't going to represent you. Ask anyone of those benefit programs if you can speak to the attorney who will actually represent you. Report back with what you learned. Then see if you can walk into their office and discuss a concern you have. See what happens.
Thank you SharedShots for pointing out a lot of solid points to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCliff View Post
Hi,

In the legal defense scenarios, CCW Safe "Defender" has no caps on attorney fees, expert witness fees, or investigation fees, plus a higher bail amount is covered. From their member benefit page: https://ccwsafe.com/page/23776

* Access to our 24-hour Emergency Hotline
* Critical Response Team onsite response
* Bail coverage to $500K
* Vetting of attorneys by National Trial Counsel
* No cap on attorney fees covered upfront
* No cap on investigation fees covered upfront
* No cap on expert witness fees covered upfront
* All trial costs covered upfront
* Firearm replacement during trial
* Coverage for spouse and children under 18 (in-home only)
* Up to $250/day loss-of-wages during criminal or civil trial
* Licensed counseling coverage up to 10 sessions (or $1,500)
* Crime-scene cleanup in-home up to $3K (only if needed and other benefits or services that are standard with all plans)
* Appeals and expungement coverage of costs

However, there is no coverage for civil liability with CCW Safe. It's an add-on. This is where USCCA comes in offering twice the civil liability coverage in the basic plan: https://www.deltadefense.com/offers/...art&#sds-chart

Self-Defense Liability Insurance for Claims Expenses & Damages

(Self-Defense Liability Insurance Policy issued to the USCCA by Universal Fire & Casualty Insurance Company)

$2,000,000 - Each Claim Limit

$750 - Per Day for Loss of Earnings [Higher than CCW Safe]

(Subject to Each Claim Limit)

Self-Defense Liability Insurance for Defense Expenses

Self-Defense Liability Insurance Policy issued to the USCCA by Universal Fire & Casualty Insurance Company

$250,000 - Defense Expense Limit [CCW Safe is not capped]

$6,000 - Incidental Expense Limit [Have not determined what "incidentals" are, clean up?]

$50,000 - Cost of Bail Bond Limit [CCW Safe is 10x more]

Basically, CCW Safe for any criminal charges and USCCA for civil lawsuits, plus the higher loss of earnings benefit.

CCW Safe basic plan (Defender) - $209/year.

USCCA basic plan (Gold) - $299/year.

Sure, it's probably more than I'll ever need. But quite often, anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

BassCliff
Thank you for sharing your breakdown BassCliff.
Old 08-29-2021, 9:46 PM

Smile Heavy hitter

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
One more thing that convinced me was having this guy on the CCW Safe team, Don West: https://ccwsafe.com/page/Don-West

BassCliff
John 3:16-17
Old 08-29-2021, 10:25 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I have CCW safe for ~4 years now with $1,000,000 bail uplift. They grandfathered my price so I am still paying a crazy cheap rate from 4 years ago.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:22 AM

My USCCA renewal is coming up soon, and I am looking long and hard at CCWSafe.

Thanks for the great info, guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2021, 5:50 PM

You all that don't already have CCW ins. should read this old thread...

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1389615

But, especially addressing having dual coverage, should read from post #70 on...

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...0&postcount=70

Old 08-31-2021, 7:55 AM

This is probably stupid, and I'm just some idiot on a keyboard.

But what never got me to trust USCCA is the amount of money spend on advertising. Youtube and Instagram ads aren't cheap. I just worry about companies that have such bloated advertising budgets I don't trust it.

That's why I didn't sign up for USCCA when a rep came to my CCW class and worked the room.

My wife and I are going CCW Safe.
Mrs. Lockdown
4.20.21 Applied | 6.4.21 LiveScan Clears | 7.22.21 Interview & Training Submitted | 11.9.21 Issued
4.3.23 Renewal | 9.xx.23 Interview | 8.xx.23 Training | 9.xx.23 Issued
Old 08-31-2021, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown.- View Post
This is probably stupid, and I'm just some idiot on a keyboard.

But what never got me to trust USCCA is the amount of money spend on advertising. Youtube and Instagram ads aren't cheap. I just worry about companies that have such bloated advertising budgets I don't trust it.

That's why I didn't sign up for USCCA when a rep came to my CCW class and worked the room.

My wife and I are going CCW Safe.
The 'Ultimate' plan includes spouse coverage and the liability. However, it does say that the Civil applies to the 'primary' member. Yet, I'm not sure why that's explicitly listed given that any civil damages would be awarded from the communal property.
Old 08-31-2021, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czakita View Post
Yes it works and just used it last week when I switched from USCCA to CCW Safe.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2021, 10:23 AM

Which package/options do you suggest to go with for CCW Safe? Is it important to get the "Civil liability add on service"?
Old 09-13-2021, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czakita View Post
As of today there is a 10% one time promotional discount code available protect10. Use it in good health. Stay safe and God Bless.

Code still works! Just signed up for my CCW Safe Defender, today.

I will also be renewing my USCCA membership next week.

Old 09-15-2021, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnysloper View Post
Code still works! Just signed up for my CCW Safe Defender, today.

I will also be renewing my USCCA membership next week.

Just curious but did u do any add-ons on the ccw safe defender plan or keep it to the basic minimum? i recently added ccw safe (defender plan) but wasn’t sure i sure if i needed any add-ons since i was keeping my uscca plan. thanks.

Life member: NRA, CRPA, SAF
Old 09-16-2021, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblax619 View Post
Just curious but did u do any add-ons on the ccw safe defender plan or keep it to the basic minimum? i recently added ccw safe (defender plan) but wasn’t sure i sure if i needed any add-ons since i was keeping my uscca plan. thanks.

I actually did. I added the coverage to increase bail cover by $1M. That was the only add-on I added. I’m alone keeping my USCCA for the civil liability coverage and the lost of wages benefit. Both of which is significant better than what CCW Safe has to offer. CCW Safe coverage on the criminal defense side won me over.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I think that there may be an error or misleading statement in the chart post #41. For CCW Safe and others, it states that there is 50 state coverage, while at the same time excluding availability in WA, NY & NJ. I have CCW Safe and it is my understand that not only do they not offer memberships in WA, they also will not provide coverage for an incident that occurs in WA. Has to do with the dip**** Insurance Commissioner in WA.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:25 PM

For those who are still looking or deciding USCCA has recently changed your coverage limits:

•$2M annually vs $2M each claim previously
•$100K for bail bond vs. $50k previously
•No limit legal defense/investigation expense vs $250K previously — I think this one of the most important change
•$10K max for incidental expenses (up to $750/day) vs. $750/day with my no cap but tied into your legal expenses limit previously

Most of these changes, are good changes, IMO. However, the language regarding USCCA’s rights to recover money from you in the event of a conviction is still a concern for many here.

Old 10-26-2021, 5:18 PM

Good info. I just activated CCW Safe Defender using the PROTECT10 coupon code.
5/25/21: Request for interview
6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
10/11/21: Call to pickup
10/13/21: CCW permit picked up
Old 12-19-2021, 5:58 AM

December 19th 2021
Just used code KC10OFF for 10%

Purchased Ultimate Plan with Annual Payment & KC10OFF code
price was 20% less than monthly payment plan