Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Why don'[t you shoot the gun in it's stock form before you start with the mods.

You are going at this *** backwards. You shoot the gun first, then see what you need to improve, then make changes as necessary to get to where the gun doesn't beat the snot out of you when you shoot it.

Are you also the Cannoneer? I think I know you?

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 01-03-2022, 12:56 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Why don'[t you shoot the gun in it's stock form before you start with the mods.

You are going at this *** backwards. You shoot the gun first, then see what you need to improve, then make changes as necessary to get to where the gun doesn't beat the snot out of you when you shoot it.

Are you also the Cannoneer? I think I know you?

Randy
But that would require common sense ;-)

I have a lot of shotguns and shoot a lot of different types in general as a shotgun instructor so I feel good about the decisions I've made. I have two custom fitted Trap and Skeet guns so I am pretty attuned to shotgun fit and LOP. As far as all of the Aridus stuff, that is definitely me buying a few things simply because they were available. If I don't use them, I can easily sell them.

I'll be doing exactly what you suggest, taking it to the range bone stock this weekend to see how it performs out of the box before I start modifying anything. Now if I can just find a retailer with #4 Buck. I have plenty of #00 and target loads in stock but finding #4 seems pretty challenging.

Old 01-03-2022, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

Just shoot the target loads. A paper or steel target will never know that it just got hit by a load of Birdshot or Buckshot let alone if it is 00 or #4.

95 % of the shooting you'll do with that gun in a class will be with birdshot. You are learning the "Manual of Arms" for that gun, and how to run it,,, and don't need the snot beat out of you while you are trying to develop some technique. Those Techniques will come in handy for dealing with the increased recoil of Butt Kicker Slug and Buckshot rounds.

I highly recommend Low Recoil Slugs and Buck for training use, and save the Butt Kickers for Polar Bears and the like.

In my last class there was a young guy next to us who was laying on the ground sighting in his 591 A1 with Serious Slugs, he was almost crying everytime he pulled the trigger.. I gave him a few Federal Low Recoil Slugs and he immediately saw the difference and came back the next day with a whole case of them. He was still black and blue from the previous day but had a positive attitude.

A 7 lb. gun with full house slugs running 1600+ fps will hurt you, ask me how I know this?

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-03-2022 at 7:51 PM..
Old 01-04-2022, 8:54 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Yep, just bought two flats of Winchester target loads yesterday. But I want #4 Buck to actually have around for HD.

Maybe I will look into Winchester, are you a member or just a guest? I've shot there a few times, it's a nice range. I used to co-run the Glass Factory cleanups up there before the Forest Service shut it down so I was in the neighborhood weekly.

It's funny, generally recoil doesn't bother me too much, I shoot my Mosins with just a t-shirt on, used to shoot my Mausers and Enfields too and I always found their recoil to be more than my O/U shotguns, even with Magnum loads. All of my milsurp rifles had more perceived recoil for me than my shotguns, but I get it, if you're going to learn and shoot a lot of rounds, target loads are the most practical and none of us want to develop a flinch.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

There are more 1301 CROMs in stock right now (for RMR footprint), both Ghost Ring and RH Mod.

https://www.aridusindustries.com/pro...icon-rmr-crom/
Old 01-04-2022, 11:26 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
There are more 1301 CROMs in stock right now (for RMR footprint), both Ghost Ring and RH Mod.

https://www.aridusindustries.com/pro...icon-rmr-crom/
Yep. Amazed they are still in stock! I grabbed one of the Rob Haught models, it's on its way to me. Stoked.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Yep. Amazed they are still in stock! I grabbed one of the Rob Haught models, it's on its way to me. Stoked.
They were out of stock, he must have put more up yesterday or today.
Old 01-04-2022, 1:57 PM

I was able to get a RH RMR CROM (received notice earlier today it’s been shipped). I have been checking Aridus website regularly for a Zhukov hand guard. While there I have also been clicking on the CROMS just to see how quickly they sold out. Each time I have looked I was surprised to see they were still in stock. However on the Aridus Facebook page several others have reported the CROMS were OS.

On the topic of recoil
I have the limb saver pad on my 1301 and over the weekend shot some bird shot through it. FWIW the 1301 kicks noticeably more than my old A5.
One other thing I found interesting is the bird shot I was using was just a little shorter than the 00 I have ~ 7 fit in the tube versus 6 of the 00.
Old 01-04-2022, 7:35 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I just scored one of the handguards. They have them now, black and FDE, go for it Winchester47!

Old 01-05-2022, 7:28 AM

Thank you for thinking of me. I was able to get one yesterday also.

I’m not a Facebook user but found that Aridus has a page and does communicate there from time to time.
A few days ago Aridus posted on their Facebook page that the hand guards would be available on Monday or Tuesday and they showed up at 5 pm on Tuesday.
Late yesterday Aridus posted “ Handguards are in stock. Lots and lots of handguards. With even more being added tomorrow. ”
Looking forward ~ when asked about when the universal Q-DC would be available Aridus replied “They're in final assembly. Probably over the weekend.”
Old 01-05-2022, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester47 View Post
Thank you for thinking of me. I was able to get one yesterday also.

I’m not a Facebook user but found that Aridus has a page and does communicate there from time to time.
A few days ago Aridus posted on their Facebook page that the hand guards would be available on Monday or Tuesday and they showed up at 5 pm on Tuesday.
Late yesterday Aridus posted “ Handguards are in stock. Lots and lots of handguards. With even more being added tomorrow. ”
Looking forward ~ when asked about when the universal Q-DC would be available Aridus replied “They're in final assembly. Probably over the weekend.”
Good news. !
The Universal Q DC is in stock at Brownells and a better price..

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...35-218059.aspx

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-05-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Good news. !

Interesting re the QDC I’ll have to check that out.
Thanks ~ for being my enabler.

FWIW
A little earlier today I received an email fro Aridus that my hand guard has shipped‼️

I just checked out Brownells and they reported they will ship in 6-7 days so they’re probably waiting for Aridus final assembly also.

Last edited by Winchester47; 01-05-2022 at 10:43 AM..
Old 01-05-2022, 2:21 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Good news. !

Hey Bob, since you have become the defacto 1301 T build guru, why would I want to spend a lot more money on the Universal Q DC when I have three or four Esstacs for a fraction of the cost? I already bought them so I am not going for the Q DC, but the Esstacs or something soft with Velcro seem a lot more practical to wear on your person for a class situation where you need to carry a lot of quickly accessible shells?

The Q DC seems cooler looking but it's bulkier, heavier and a lot more expensive? Do people care more about looking cool on their build over functionality?

Old 01-05-2022, 5:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hey Bob, since you have become the defacto 1301 T build guru, why would I want to spend a lot more money on the Universal Q DC when I have three or four Esstacs for a fraction of the cost? I already bought them so I am not going for the Q DC, but the Esstacs or something soft with Velcro seem a lot more practical to wear on your person for a class situation where you need to carry a lot of quickly accessible shells?

The Q DC seems cooler looking but it's bulkier, heavier and a lot more expensive? Do people care more about looking cool on their build over functionality?
Yeah, I have a bunch of Esstac cards too. I just thought I would stick
This thing on my stock and not my receiver. I am not a fan of gluing a sticky Velcro thing on my $2500 Barbie Doll Receiver.
(See photo of paint ripped off)

So per the photo I will carry extra rounds on my Stock (Magpul SGA)
and I know I can rip the sticky glue off without affecting anything.

But I figured I would try this 6 round Aridus carrier on my buttstock.
If it won’t work I’ll just sell it.
(Not my damaged gun…the marine version yes)

Be well
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-05-2022, 7:15 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I was thinking along similar lines although, once I have the Velcro on the receiver of the gun, I'm committed. But the Q-DC would likely have the same issue since it attaches to the receiver with that crazy sticky 3M double side tape stuff. From the Aridus Website, "Utilizing Very High Bond 3M double sided tape, the adhesive has an operating temperature or -30f to +230f, so you don’t have to worry about it failing due to temperature extremes." I've worked with that stuff in theft devices in retail and I believe that it would remove the paint from the receiver the same way the Velcro is able to. Then again, it's just a paint job, I could always get my 1301 T FDE re-Cerakoted if that happened and I discovered I didn't like the extra shells riding on the receiver.

Or I could freak out most 1301 owners and just hit it with a homemade camo rattle can job like I am going to do one of my new AR builds. Lifes too short to not have fun messing around with at least one or two of your guns. I am a C&R guy so scratches, dents and dings don't bug me in the least (I actually just bought a Type 56 SKS and was between three different ones and ended up buying the most beat up one because I thought it had more character). I was considering a very pretty Russian SKS but then I'd be worried about getting it all scratched up. An SKS, to me, was made to beat around with.

Old 01-06-2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Good news. !

As much as I admire Aridus & want to support them they have it listed at $185 & it’s still OS. So I bought from Brownells at $135 and received notice it has shipped. Not sure why they have them sooner for a lower price. 🤷
Old 01-06-2022, 6:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester47 View Post
As much as I admire Aridus & want to support them they have it listed at $185 & it’s still OS. So I bought from Brownells at $135 and received notice it has shipped. Not sure why they have them sooner for a lower price. 🤷
I ordered the $135 unit also. Even though I have a pile iof Esstac cards.

My idea is order 2/3 of everything Aridus sells and the WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN IS YOU SELL THE 2nd or 3rd one to another 1301 Nutball.

Just a few minutes ago I got some CROMs in the mailbox.

I consider them BitCoin….lol..

Old 01-06-2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I ordered the $135 unit also. Even though I have a pile iof Esstac cards.

My idea is order 2/3 of everything Aridus sells and the WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN IS YOU SELL THE 2nd or 3rd one to another 1301 Nutball.

Just a few minutes ago I got some CROMs in the mailbox.

I consider them BitCoin….lol..

Just about BitCoin‼️
You received your sights very quickly.
I ordered my sights right at 5 on the 3rd & per the tracking they shipped on the 3rd but didn’t seem to get moving until the 5th. My hand guard ordered the 4th has caught up to them with both now scheduled to be delivered the 8th.

Last edited by Winchester47; 01-06-2022 at 9:34 PM..
Old 01-07-2022, 1:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah….I snagged a FDE handguard in addition to the CROM s mainly because
my intention was to buy an ODG (Green) 1301 Tactical for my adult son who went bonkers looking at the 3 colors available. So like you I got the email notice of In Stock and jumped using my Secret, Double Throw Down Debit Card….lol…
that I use for this gun hobby…
All in anticipation of finding the Green 1301 and building it up with all this Bling for my Son…..I looked everyday and everywhere and was willing to have something shipped to my FFL but the one I found, the guy wouldn’t ship it to Californistan…..imagine that..

So I was happy,at least to get the Aridus add on’s and stuff them in the garage but continue my search……and wow, all 1301s are out of stock and in short supply, Nationwide.

But, a good deal came up yesterday and I met this seller at Riflegear and bought a Black one with the Choke. New in box, unfired and as a bonus he sold me some new #4 buckshot defense ammo.

She’s in DROS now. So happy to at least get another 1301 that I went ahead and ordered the Magpul SGA and other parts I need. Thinking about green cerokote for the receiver and barrel with all the furniture FDE but that’s probably too obsessive….hahahaha.

Someone asked where i got the rear stock parts so I’am posting the order from
last night.

Be well
Bob

Old 01-25-2022, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah….I snagged a FDE handguard in addition to the CROM s mainly because
my intention was to buy an ODG (Green) 1301 Tactical for my adult son who went bonkers looking at the 3 colors available. So like you I got the email notice of In Stock and jumped using my Secret, Double Throw Down Debit Card….lol…
that I use for this gun hobby…
All in anticipation of finding the Green 1301 and building it up with all this Bling for my Son…..I looked everyday and everywhere and was willing to have something shipped to my FFL but the one I found, the guy wouldn’t ship it to Californistan…..imagine that..

So I was happy,at least to get the Aridus add on’s and stuff them in the garage but continue my search……and wow, all 1301s are out of stock and in short supply, Nationwide.

But, a good deal came up yesterday and I met this seller at Riflegear and bought a Black one with the Choke. New in box, unfired and as a bonus he sold me some new #4 buckshot defense ammo.

She’s in DROS now. So happy to at least get another 1301 that I went ahead and ordered the Magpul SGA and other parts I need. Thinking about green cerokote for the receiver and barrel with all the furniture FDE but that’s probably too obsessive….hahahaha.

Someone asked where i got the rear stock parts so I’am posting the order from
last night.

Be well
Bob

Just got my Crom and Aimpoint put on , did you guys have to make any changes to the rear sight as far as windage or elevation?

or is it ready to go out of the box?
Old 01-25-2022, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveodevo View Post
Just got my Crom and Aimpoint put on , did you guys have to make any changes to the rear sight as far as windage or elevation?

or is it ready to go out of the box?
You are always going to have to adjust the sights. With the different optics out there that share the same footprint along with so many other variables you can't just expect it to be perfect without having to dial it in and thinking it will just magically co-witness perfectly.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
You are always going to have to adjust the sights. With the different optics out there that share the same footprint along with so many other variables you can't just expect it to be perfect without having to dial it in and thinking it will just magically co-witness perfectly.
this was more about the rear peep sight
Old 01-26-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveodevo View Post
this was more about the rear peep sight
Thats what I was talking about.
Old 01-26-2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Just shoot the target loads. A paper or steel target will never know that it just got hit by a load of Birdshot or Buckshot let alone if it is 00 or #4.

95 % of the shooting you'll do with that gun in a class will be with birdshot. You are learning the "Manual of Arms" for that gun, and how to run it,,, and don't need the snot beat out of you while you are trying to develop some technique. Those Techniques will come in handy for dealing with the increased recoil of Butt Kicker Slug and Buckshot rounds.

I highly recommend Low Recoil Slugs and Buck for training use, and save the Butt Kickers for Polar Bears and the like.

In my last class there was a young guy next to us who was laying on the ground sighting in his 591 A1 with Serious Slugs, he was almost crying everytime he pulled the trigger.. I gave him a few Federal Low Recoil Slugs and he immediately saw the difference and came back the next day with a whole case of them. He was still black and blue from the previous day but had a positive attitude.

A 7 lb. gun with full house slugs running 1600+ fps will hurt you, ask me how I know this?

Randy

Very humbling sir!!! I went to Reeds this past sunday just shot #8 birdshot a mere 75 rounds and my right shoulder was already bruised,lol. At 10 yards.
Old 01-26-2022, 7:24 PM

At 10 yards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220123_130515.jpg (95.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 7:28 PM

2nd box of of 25 at 10 yards too.

3rd box of 25 at 25 yards was abysmal.(not posted)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220123_131403.jpg (96.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by PTAGP100; 01-26-2022 at 7:31 PM..
Old 01-27-2022, 10:14 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAGP100 View Post
Very humbling sir!!! I went to Reeds this past sunday just shot #8 birdshot a mere 75 rounds and my right shoulder was already bruised,lol. At 10 yards.
Limbsaver.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Limbsaver.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1301-1s.jpg (86.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 1301-2s.jpg (97.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 1301-3s.jpg (51.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 12:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Limbsaver.
Exactly. Limbsaver is so important for me because those air chambers reduce recoil about 70% (according to them) . They are $40 bucks well spent in my opinion. (Part number 10805 for those interested and will require the adapter to fit a Magpul SGA stock). ($9)

Be well
Bob

Old 01-27-2022, 12:43 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Damn Rorge! How many spacers do you have in there? What's your LOP at now with all of that? Are you shooting Trap? ;-)

Old 01-27-2022, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Exactly. Limbsaver is so important for me because those air chambers reduce recoil about 70% (according to them) . They are $40 bucks well spent in my opinion...
It looks like you are using the 1/2" cheek riser, like me?

I got the High Kit, but the 3/4" piece was too high. I'd like to get the 1/4" riser to compare to the half inch, but then I'd have to order another kit.

They should just put all three in one kit, would be so much easier.
Old 01-27-2022, 1:03 PM

Quote:
It looks like you are using the 1/2" cheek riser, like me?

I got the High Kit, but the 3/4" piece was too high. I'd like to get the 1/4" riser to compare to the half inch, but then I'd have to order another kit.

They should just put all three in one kit, would be so much easier.
You spent well over a grand for the shotgun. Stop being cheap and just order the other $15 riser kit.
Old 01-27-2022, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Damn Rorge! How many spacers do you have in there? What's your LOP at now with all of that? Are you shooting Trap? ;-)
I have all of the spacers in there. Just long arms and a long neck.
Old 01-27-2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:

Im a short Pinoy sir, if I add the limbsaver it will increase the LOP.
Old 01-27-2022, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Im a short Pinoy sir, if I add the limbsaver it will increase the LOP.
The LOP on that shotgun is 14.25 inches. Don't use the supplied 2" of spacers and the LOP is a measly 12.25 inches.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1301-4s.jpg (84.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
The LOP on that shotgun is 14.25 inches. Don't use the supplied 2" of spacers and the LOP is a measly 12.25 inches.

Got it!! Thanks sir will do!!
Old 01-27-2022, 5:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Got it!! Thanks sir will do!!
Remind me of the stock you’re running on your 1301…
Bob

Old 01-27-2022, 7:48 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Wow, that's a long LOP! Whatever works for you. As a shotgun instructor, I'm always suggesting custom fitting shotguns for students in various ways, from a Limbsaver to actual stock customization with built in cheek riser and adjustable LOP, but that's all about Clays shooting.

I have found that with a typical 3/4 shotgun stance for Clays, you need the long LOP but for tactical/defensive shotgun, most instructors recommend a squared-off stance where you shouldn't need as much LOP since your arms won't be nearly as stretched, same as Weaver versus Isosceles stance when shooting handguns.

There's also the factor of a shorter LOP stock having less chance of snagging on loose clothing when it matters the most and you are mounting the shotgun in a hurry.

There is also the factor of potentially wearing a plate carrier or other clothing that might add thickness to your shoulder, although granted few of us would ever be wearing that in an HD situation.

Old 01-27-2022, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wow, that's a long LOP! Whatever works for you.
Works great for me, thanks. Anything shorter and my face is right up on the rear sight - too far forward. Like I said, long neck.

Quote:
I have found that with a typical 3/4 shotgun stance for Clays, you need the long LOP but for tactical/defensive shotgun, most instructors recommend a squared-off stance where you shouldn't need as much LOP since your arms won't be nearly as stretched, same as Weaver versus Isosceles stance when shooting handguns.
So you're saying people choose what works for them. That's exactly right.

Quote:
There's also the factor of a shorter LOP stock having less chance of snagging on loose clothing when it matters the most and you are mounting the shotgun in a hurry.

There is also the factor of potentially wearing a plate carrier or other clothing that might add thickness to your shoulder, although granted few of us would ever be wearing that in an HD situation.
Like some of the previous things you've already pointed out, those are (or should be) training issues. No amount of "proper sizing" is going to take the place of practice.

To say that everyone should have XX-inches LOP to me is very odd. Everyone is different. Even people who are the same height can have different measurements.

My friend is that same height as me, but his legs are shorter, so he can drive a Mazda Miata when I can't. If he drives my truck he has to move the seat forward 6 inches to reach the pedals. My arms are still longer than his, though.
Old 01-27-2022, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Remind me of the stock you’re running on your 1301…
Bob
The Magpul SGA sir, i believe im not using any of the spacers. Can I remove the rubber pad and replace it with the limb saver?