Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-28-2019, 6:43 AM

Default OC CCW

Hello All

Quick question: I have searched and found answers ranging from denied and go for it, but not specific to Orange and our pro CCW Sheriff Barnes.

I have a 4 almost 5 year old misdemeanor DUI on my record. Considering Orange County has been somewhat lenient and time frames are good, is now a good time to apply?

Should I wait longer? Does anyone have any recent experiences with obtaining a CCW with a DUI recently 2018-2019 time?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2019, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Once denied, on all future applications, you will need to state that you were previously denied, and that always sends up red flags to the IA.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is a basic "No No" in society. The IA can't help but think, "if this person was flippant enough to drink and drive, what would stop said person from being flippant again and drinking while carrying?"

Just some food for thought.
Old 03-28-2019, 8:06 AM

Yup. I don’t want to get denied and have to state it in subsequent applications. I know it’s ultimately up to the IA. Would getting said conviction expunged before applying helpful. I think the live scan would show it regardless if it was expunged or not. I’m probably SOL
Old 03-28-2019, 12:51 PM

Try calling the ccw unit and ask. It may or may not provide clarity, but all it costs is a phone call.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 3:24 PM

Thanks Maggie. Wouldn’t hurt to ask
Old 03-28-2019, 4:55 PM

If you are eligible, consider getting that DUI expunged.... then apply.

Lawfully carrying in 36 states
Clamper:64 & 1069 | Ham:Extra | Dirtbike:Fast
Old 03-28-2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taminator2000 View Post
Hello All
There is an entire section of CG's that is OC related.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
OC info.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 03-28-2019, 9:24 PM

Even if expunged, you will need to disclose the arrest on the ccw application. They will ask you about it and you will need to be able to convince and assure them that you are not a risk. Such as whether you have a clean record since then, are a productive member of society, understand the problem of drinking and driving/carrying, etc. I do not have actual experience with such a circumstance, but five years seems about right to me. Maybe someone with a real example will contact you. Even if you wait another five years, they will still ask you about it and you will need a reasonable response.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicOrange View Post
Even if expunged, you will need to disclose the arrest on the ccw application. They will ask you about it and you will need to be able to convince and assure them that you are not a risk. Such as whether you have a clean record since then, are a productive member of society, understand the problem of drinking and driving/carrying, etc. I do not have actual experience with such a circumstance, but five years seems about right to me. Maybe someone with a real example will contact you. Even if you wait another five years, they will still ask you about it and you will need a reasonable response.
True, upon further research it will still who up on the live scan even if it is expunged. I'm going to get it expunged regardless but I don't think it matters in this situation. I read the Sacramento FAQ and it's auto deny for any conviction in the past 7 years and any arrest in the past 5. I would fall in the 7 year category. I emailed the CCW dept in OC and I'll report back if I hear back from them.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

A DUI conviction will have legal ramifications on a second DUI conviction occurring within ten years of the first. After ten years the second DUI is treated like a first. Difficult seeing the OC CCW unit using a lesser standard for obvious reasons.
Old 03-29-2019, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considerizer View Post
A DUI conviction will have legal ramifications on a second DUI conviction occurring within ten years of the first. After ten years the second DUI is treated like a first. Difficult seeing the OC CCW unit using a lesser standard for obvious reasons.
Interesting, fortunately I will never ever get a second DUI. The Sacramento will deny for any arrest for anything even if no charges were made in the last 5, while a conviction for anything in the past 7 is what I meant.

So if that policy holds true for all California counties, then I have at least another 2 years before I can apply.
Old 03-29-2019, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Interesting, fortunately I will never ever get a second DUI.
Hope for your sake, and the people that may be impacted by it, that you never do.
I have lost track of the number of times I have heard on the news or read in the news about a person with 3-4-5-6 even 15 DUI's.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 04-02-2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
True, upon further research it will still who up on the live scan even if it is expunged. I'm going to get it expunged regardless but I don't think it matters in this situation. I read the Sacramento FAQ and it's auto deny for any conviction in the past 7 years and any arrest in the past 5. I would fall in the 7 year category. I emailed the CCW dept in OC and I'll report back if I hear back from them.
Did OCSD respond?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Barnes is Pro carry, so much so that he will not take many chances with applicants as he is ensuring to keep the CCW program as best as he can so that it is beyond public criticism.

Best to ask and see what you can find out first.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Barnes is Pro carry, so much so that he will not take many chances with applicants as he is ensuring to keep the CCW program as best as he can so that it is beyond public criticism.

Best to ask and see what you can find out first.
Ya... 10+ years is typically not a problem so long as you have "kept your nose clean" since then.
4-7 years is pretty recent and I would imagine a big negative unless there is some extreme good cause that applies to your situation that can offset that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-05-2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicOrange View Post
Did OCSD respond?
Nope not at all. I figure they would take forever or not at all.