Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1801  
Old 10-23-2021, 9:47 PM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojaveman View Post
Blued with a round barrel. .44-40 for nostalgia. I was browsing in a LA area gun store a few weeks ago and there wasn't much ammo in stock but there were a few dust covered boxes over in the corner. Ended up with 200 rounds of .44-40 for a decent price.

Handled both the 24" Sporting rifle and the 19" carbine and decided that if I ever had to do any cowboy action shooting in my house at 3:00 a.m. I'd rather use the carbine because it is shorter and lighter.
The reason I asked was when I did a search the one that showed up on Cimarron's website was CCH and octagonal. I have a Henry carbine on order because I also wanted a slightly shorter and lighter lever action. I'm beginning to think it's never going to arrive.
That was a lucky break finding the ammo. I wasn't sure about the availability of .44-40.
Post some pictures when you can.

Edit: I missed the link in your original post. I see what it looks like now.
__________________

Last edited by GeeBee49; 10-23-2021 at 9:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1802  
Old 10-24-2021, 10:36 AM
LindenBruce LindenBruce is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 184
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Oh Boy, this thread has me drooling. I so desperately been trying to find a long barrel lever action in .44MAG. All dried up. I already own several SA revolvers in that caliber so I would like to keep it the same. B.
Reply With Quote
  #1803  
Old 10-24-2021, 11:34 AM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenBruce View Post
Oh Boy, this thread has me drooling. I so desperately been trying to find a long barrel lever action in .44MAG. All dried up. I already own several SA revolvers in that caliber so I would like to keep it the same. B.
I would like a .41 magnum and a .44 magnum lever action since I have revolvers in both. The Henry Big Boy Classic is available in both calibers and the Big Boy Steel Side Gate is available in .44 magnum.
But, you're right. Finding them is the problem.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1804  
Old 10-24-2021, 12:14 PM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,161
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I would like a .41 magnum and a .44 magnum lever action since I have revolvers in both. The Henry Big Boy Classic is available in both calibers and the Big Boy Steel Side Gate is available in .44 magnum.
But, you're right. Finding them is the problem.
Henry Big Boy Carbine Brass/Walnut Lever Action Rifle - 44 Magnum - 16.5in

Henry Big Boy Carbine Brass/Walnut Lever Action Rifle - 41 Remington Magnum - 16.5in

Ship to your local Sportsman’s for free (set the site for your zip code) or to your FFL for a fee…..

5% mil/vet discount. Buy online; adjust price on pickup in Sportsman’s store.store.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."

Last edited by Dvrjon; 10-24-2021 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1805  
Old 10-24-2021, 12:53 PM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
I know there are things available to order online but my LGS does not do that. I go there because it's less than ten minutes from my house. Until recently if they didn't have what I wanted in stock or in their warehouse they've been able to order it from one of their suppliers. The gun has always arrived within the 30 days between purchases timeline.
I have two orders pending right now. When those finally arrive I may look for another gun shop if the availability problem has not improved.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1806  
Old 10-24-2021, 1:21 PM
lastinline lastinline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,450
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I know there are things available to order online but my LGS does not do that. I go there because it's less than ten minutes from my house. Until recently if they didn't have what I wanted in stock or in their warehouse they've been able to order it from one of their suppliers. The gun has always arrived within the 30 days between purchases timeline.
I have two orders pending right now. When those finally arrive I may look for another gun shop if the availability problem has not improved.
Time to find another FFL.
You could also order what you want online, and have it shipped to a FFL who will do the transfer. Many do exactly that, and charge between $25-100 for the process.
Reply With Quote
  #1807  
Old 10-24-2021, 1:40 PM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
Time to find another FFL.
You could also order what you want online, and have it shipped to a FFL who will do the transfer. Many do exactly that, and charge between $25-100 for the process.
I know, I'll just have to drive a little farther. I think Ammo Brothers is the next closest gun shop to me.
The last time I checked the Standard Mfg. website they had single action revolvers in stock. I would gladly pay a $100 fee to order one of those.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1808  
Old 10-24-2021, 1:58 PM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,161
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I know there are things available to order online but my LGS does not do that. I go there because it's less than ten minutes from my house. Until recently if they didn't have what I wanted in stock or in their warehouse they've been able to order it from one of their suppliers. The gun has always arrived within the 30 days between purchases timeline.
I have two orders pending right now. When those finally arrive I may look for another gun shop if the availability problem has not improved.
You’re welcome.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #1809  
Old 10-24-2021, 1:58 PM
golfish's Avatar
golfish golfish is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alta Loma
Posts: 7,433
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I know, I'll just have to drive a little farther. I think Ammo Brothers is the next closest gun shop to me.
The last time I checked the Standard Mfg. website they had single action revolvers in stock. I would gladly pay a $100 fee to order one of those.
I talked to them a couple months ago. They had plenty in stock then.
The Standard Manufacturing SAA was top of the list for me but I bumped it down one for a M1A. I need to get one before they go away in Ca.
__________________
It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
Happiness is a warm gun.

MLC, First 3
Reply With Quote
  #1810  
Old 10-24-2021, 2:20 PM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,161
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
I talked to them a couple months ago. They had plenty in stock then.
The Standard Manufacturing SAA was top of the list for me but I bumped it down one for a M1A. I need to get one before they go away in Ca.
Just a data point on Standard’s Customer Service/Warranty from last year….. https://www.coltforum.com/threads/st...rranty.379400/
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #1811  
Old 10-24-2021, 2:24 PM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
I talked to them a couple months ago. They had plenty in stock then.
The Standard Manufacturing SAA was top of the list for me but I bumped it down one for a M1A. I need to get one before they go away in Ca.
I'm not going to wait for my previous orders to come in. I'll just leave them on the back burner and eventually they will show up. This week I'll find the closest gun shop that will order the Standard Mfg. SAA and get it done. After that I'll have to order a second one since I like having matching pairs of single action revolvers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1812  
Old 10-24-2021, 2:30 PM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
You’re welcome.
I do appreciate the links but I think the closest Sportman's Warehouse to me is in Corona and that's quite a distance from Norwalk.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1813  
Old 10-24-2021, 2:40 PM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Just a data point on Standard’s Customer Service/Warranty from last year….. https://www.coltforum.com/threads/st...rranty.379400/
Hmm, that's disturbing. I'll have to give this some thought. Receiving a gun with a flaw occasionally happens but the manufacturer's position is what's disturbing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1814  
Old 10-24-2021, 3:43 PM
golfish's Avatar
golfish golfish is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alta Loma
Posts: 7,433
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Just a data point on Standard’s Customer Service/Warranty from last year….. https://www.coltforum.com/threads/st...rranty.379400/
That's BS...

Thanks for the link..I'll scratch the SM and write in Colt
__________________
It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
Happiness is a warm gun.

MLC, First 3
Reply With Quote
  #1815  
Old 10-24-2021, 8:13 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 51,723
iTrader: 111 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I would like a .41 magnum and a .44 magnum lever action since I have revolvers in both.
The Henry Big Boy Classic is available in both calibers and the Big Boy Steel Side Gate is available in .44 magnum.
But, you're right. Finding them is the problem.
I have had some modern pairings:
357mag ruger blackhawk
357mag winchester 1892
41mag ruger blackhawk
41mag marlin 1894
44mag S&W 629
44mag ruger deerstalker

Unfortunately, I recently got a bunch of different caliber 1873 clone revolvers that are going to be needing rifles to pair with them:
32-20
38-40
44-40
45colt

Now to figure out what rifles to pair them with.
I'm leaning towards an uberti 45colt 1873 with a 20" octagon barrel to start with and then a marlin or winchester 32-20.
Not sure what I should be looking at for 38-40 and 44-40 or if I even will get the rifles for those or not.
Reply With Quote
  #1816  
Old 10-24-2021, 9:17 PM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I have had some modern pairings:
357mag ruger blackhawk
357mag winchester 1892
41mag ruger blackhawk
41mag marlin 1894
44mag S&W 629
44mag ruger deerstalker

Unfortunately, I recently got a bunch of different caliber 1873 clone revolvers that are going to be needing rifles to pair with them:
32-20
38-40
44-40
45colt

Now to figure out what rifles to pair them with.
I'm leaning towards an uberti 45colt 1873 with a 20" octagon barrel to start with and then a marlin or winchester 32-20.
Not sure what I should be looking at for 38-40 and 44-40 or if I even will get the rifles for those or not.
Definitely some nice firearms. Are most of your 1873 clones Uberti? That's quite a variety of calibers.

Normally I like to pair up cowboy style single action revolvers with lever action rifles. Taylor's lists a Cattleman in .44 magnum and Uberti calls it a Callahan on their website. Neither company lists a .41 magnum. My current .41 magnums are an S&W Model 57 and a Blackhawk and my current .44 magnums are an S&W Model 29 and a stainless Redhawk. Those are not cowboy style revolvers so the .41 and .44 magnum levers will probably not happen.

My current (and future) pair ups are:

Winchester Model 94 in .45 Colt / Taylor's Gunfighter in .45 Colt
Henry Big Boy Classic in .45 Colt / Taylor's Gunfighter in .45 Colt
Henry CCH Side Gate in .357 magnum (ordered) / Taylor's Smoke Wagon in .357 magnum
Henry CCH Side Gate Carbine in .357 magnum (ordered) / Taylor's Smoke Wagon in .357 magnum (ordered)

I still need two lever actions in .45 Colt to pair up with my two Colt SAAs in .45 Colt.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1817  
Old 10-25-2021, 5:28 AM
200Apples's Avatar
200Apples 200Apples is online now
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,324
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post

Just a data point on Standard’s Customer Service/Warranty from last year….. https://www.coltforum.com/threads/st...rranty.379400/

Without photos of the claimed flaw in metal finishing/prep/polish before the CCH process, that is hard to believe.
__________________
.
"The primary purpose of a rifle is a first-shot hit, whether the target is game or a human antagonist. Semi-automatic fire does not assure this. As a matter of fact it sometimes detracts from it by letting the shooter believe that if he misses with his first shot he can always make up with a second. This is a bad attitude for a rifleman." - Jeff Cooper, 1984

"Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy WingDings
Reply With Quote
  #1818  
Old 10-25-2021, 5:39 AM
200Apples's Avatar
200Apples 200Apples is online now
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,324
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post

Unfortunately, I recently got a bunch of different caliber 1873 clone revolvers that are going to be needing rifles to pair with them:
32-20
38-40
44-40
45colt

Now to figure out what rifles to pair them with.




__________________
.
"The primary purpose of a rifle is a first-shot hit, whether the target is game or a human antagonist. Semi-automatic fire does not assure this. As a matter of fact it sometimes detracts from it by letting the shooter believe that if he misses with his first shot he can always make up with a second. This is a bad attitude for a rifleman." - Jeff Cooper, 1984

"Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy WingDings
Reply With Quote
  #1819  
Old 10-25-2021, 8:59 AM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,161
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Without photos of the claimed flaw in metal finishing/prep/polish before the CCH process, that is hard to believe.
How would a consumer have a pre-process photo? There are photos of the final product in the post. Here’s a sample.



The mfg says it’s part of the CCH process. I’m looking at my CCH guns and feeling deprived as none of them have that feature…I guess I shoulda paid more for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80245283-4A7B-432B-B774-292861FBD67C.jpg (17.0 KB, 12 views)
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."

Last edited by Dvrjon; 10-25-2021 at 9:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #1820  
Old 10-25-2021, 9:06 AM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,161
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
Hmm, that's disturbing. I'll have to give this some thought. Receiving a gun with a flaw occasionally happens but the manufacturer's position is what's disturbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
That's BS...

Thanks for the link..I'll scratch the SM and write in Colt
Not looking to turn you guys off, as that story was last year, and certainly many other happy customers are out there. But, if you’re dumping $2K in this direction, and in the past they appear to have blown off their their warranty statement, that’s something to know going into the party, not after you arrive.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #1821  
Old 10-25-2021, 9:15 AM
golfish's Avatar
golfish golfish is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alta Loma
Posts: 7,433
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Not looking to turn you guys off, as that story was last year, and certainly many other happy customers are out there. But, if you’re dumping $2K in this direction, and in the past they appear to have blown off their their warranty statement, that’s something to know going into the party, not after you arrive.
What I don't like is that they didn't offer to take the gun back and look at it. How much would it cost them to do that vs the money they're going go lose in future sales.
__________________
It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
Happiness is a warm gun.

MLC, First 3
Reply With Quote
  #1822  
Old 10-25-2021, 9:40 AM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,161
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
What I don't like is that they didn't offer to take the gun back and look at it. How much would it cost them to do that vs the money they're going go lose in future sales.
They appear to have tightened up their Terms and Conditions.. It looks like: One-year warranty; you need authorization to return; you pay shipping; you pay $225/hr to fix. Much different from the lifetime/no questions asked of last year.

ETA: A manufacturer offering a “lifetime/no questions asked, we pay shipping” warranty has a very attractive sales position. To shift from that to a one-year, constrictive basis makes me think they were losing a ton of money on warranty service.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."

Last edited by Dvrjon; 10-25-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #1823  
Old 10-25-2021, 9:49 AM
golfish's Avatar
golfish golfish is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alta Loma
Posts: 7,433
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
They appear to have tightened up their Terms and Conditions.. It looks like: One-year warranty; you need authorization to return; you pay shipping; you pay $225/hr to fix. Much different from the lifetime/no questions asked of last year.
Again, that's BS..
__________________
It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
Happiness is a warm gun.

MLC, First 3
Reply With Quote
  #1824  
Old 10-25-2021, 10:54 AM
GeeBee49's Avatar
GeeBee49 GeeBee49 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 1,912
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Not looking to turn you guys off, as that story was last year, and certainly many other happy customers are out there. But, if you’re dumping $2K in this direction, and in the past they appear to have blown off their their warranty statement, that’s something to know going into the party, not after you arrive.
I know that flaws and defects are rare but they do sometimes happen. I would hope that when they happen an inspector would catch them before the gun leaves the factory.
Of course the ideal situation would be finding one at a gun shop that I could inspect myself before buying but these days I doubt that will happen. When I find a gun shop near me that will place orders I'll have to decide between a Standard Mfg. or another Colt SAA.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1825  
Old 10-25-2021, 11:24 AM
200Apples's Avatar
200Apples 200Apples is online now
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,324
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
How would a consumer have a pre-process photo?

That's not what I meant. I said that only to describe in the owner's words the flaw in the metal.

Now that I see a photo, I can see the flaw, and it's definitely not a part of the CCH.

Thanks.
__________________
.
"The primary purpose of a rifle is a first-shot hit, whether the target is game or a human antagonist. Semi-automatic fire does not assure this. As a matter of fact it sometimes detracts from it by letting the shooter believe that if he misses with his first shot he can always make up with a second. This is a bad attitude for a rifleman." - Jeff Cooper, 1984

"Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy WingDings
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:25 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical