Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 10-23-2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojaveman View Post
Blued with a round barrel. .44-40 for nostalgia. I was browsing in a LA area gun store a few weeks ago and there wasn't much ammo in stock but there were a few dust covered boxes over in the corner. Ended up with 200 rounds of .44-40 for a decent price.

Handled both the 24" Sporting rifle and the 19" carbine and decided that if I ever had to do any cowboy action shooting in my house at 3:00 a.m. I'd rather use the carbine because it is shorter and lighter.
The reason I asked was when I did a search the one that showed up on Cimarron's website was CCH and octagonal. I have a Henry carbine on order because I also wanted a slightly shorter and lighter lever action. I'm beginning to think it's never going to arrive.
That was a lucky break finding the ammo. I wasn't sure about the availability of .44-40.
Post some pictures when you can.

Edit: I missed the link in your original post. I see what it looks like now.

Last edited by GeeBee49; 10-23-2021 at 9:51 PM..
Old 10-24-2021, 10:36 AM

Oh Boy, this thread has me drooling. I so desperately been trying to find a long barrel lever action in .44MAG. All dried up. I already own several SA revolvers in that caliber so I would like to keep it the same. B.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenBruce View Post
Oh Boy, this thread has me drooling. I so desperately been trying to find a long barrel lever action in .44MAG. All dried up. I already own several SA revolvers in that caliber so I would like to keep it the same. B.
I would like a .41 magnum and a .44 magnum lever action since I have revolvers in both. The Henry Big Boy Classic is available in both calibers and the Big Boy Steel Side Gate is available in .44 magnum.
But, you're right. Finding them is the problem.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I would like a .41 magnum and a .44 magnum lever action since I have revolvers in both. The Henry Big Boy Classic is available in both calibers and the Big Boy Steel Side Gate is available in .44 magnum.
Henry Big Boy Carbine Brass/Walnut Lever Action Rifle - 44 Magnum - 16.5in

Henry Big Boy Carbine Brass/Walnut Lever Action Rifle - 41 Remington Magnum - 16.5in

Ship to your local Sportsman’s for free (set the site for your zip code) or to your FFL for a fee…..

5% mil/vet discount. Buy online; adjust price on pickup in Sportsman’s store.store.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 10-24-2021 at 12:39 PM..
Old 10-24-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
I know there are things available to order online but my LGS does not do that. I go there because it's less than ten minutes from my house. Until recently if they didn't have what I wanted in stock or in their warehouse they've been able to order it from one of their suppliers. The gun has always arrived within the 30 days between purchases timeline.
I have two orders pending right now. When those finally arrive I may look for another gun shop if the availability problem has not improved.
Old 10-24-2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:
I know there are things available to order online but my LGS does not do that. I go there because it's less than ten minutes from my house. Until recently if they didn't have what I wanted in stock or in their warehouse they've been able to order it from one of their suppliers. The gun has always arrived within the 30 days between purchases timeline.
I have two orders pending right now. When those finally arrive I may look for another gun shop if the availability problem has not improved.
Time to find another FFL.
You could also order what you want online, and have it shipped to a FFL who will do the transfer. Many do exactly that, and charge between $25-100 for the process.
Old 10-24-2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
Time to find another FFL.
You could also order what you want online, and have it shipped to a FFL who will do the transfer. Many do exactly that, and charge between $25-100 for the process.
I know, I'll just have to drive a little farther. I think Ammo Brothers is the next closest gun shop to me.
The last time I checked the Standard Mfg. website they had single action revolvers in stock. I would gladly pay a $100 fee to order one of those.
Old 10-24-2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
You’re welcome.
Old 10-24-2021, 1:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I know, I'll just have to drive a little farther. I think Ammo Brothers is the next closest gun shop to me.
The last time I checked the Standard Mfg. website they had single action revolvers in stock. I would gladly pay a $100 fee to order one of those.
I talked to them a couple months ago. They had plenty in stock then.
The Standard Manufacturing SAA was top of the list for me but I bumped it down one for a M1A. I need to get one before they go away in Ca.

MLC, First 3
Old 10-24-2021, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
The Standard Manufacturing SAA was top of the list for me but I bumped it down one for a M1A. I need to get one before they go away in Ca.
Just a data point on Standard’s Customer Service/Warranty from last year….. https://www.coltforum.com/threads/st...rranty.379400/
Old 10-24-2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to wait for my previous orders to come in. I'll just leave them on the back burner and eventually they will show up. This week I'll find the closest gun shop that will order the Standard Mfg. SAA and get it done. After that I'll have to order a second one since I like having matching pairs of single action revolvers.
Old 10-24-2021, 2:30 PM

Quote:
You’re welcome.
I do appreciate the links but I think the closest Sportman's Warehouse to me is in Corona and that's quite a distance from Norwalk.
Old 10-24-2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Just a data point on Standard’s Customer Service/Warranty from last year….. https://www.coltforum.com/threads/st...rranty.379400/
Hmm, that's disturbing. I'll have to give this some thought. Receiving a gun with a flaw occasionally happens but the manufacturer's position is what's disturbing.
Old 10-24-2021, 3:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's BS...

Thanks for the link..I'll scratch the SM and write in Colt

MLC, First 3
Old 10-24-2021, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would like a .41 magnum and a .44 magnum lever action since I have revolvers in both.
The Henry Big Boy Classic is available in both calibers and the Big Boy Steel Side Gate is available in .44 magnum.
I have had some modern pairings:
357mag ruger blackhawk
357mag winchester 1892
41mag ruger blackhawk
41mag marlin 1894
44mag S&W 629
44mag ruger deerstalker

Unfortunately, I recently got a bunch of different caliber 1873 clone revolvers that are going to be needing rifles to pair with them:
32-20
38-40
44-40
45colt

Now to figure out what rifles to pair them with.
I'm leaning towards an uberti 45colt 1873 with a 20" octagon barrel to start with and then a marlin or winchester 32-20.
Not sure what I should be looking at for 38-40 and 44-40 or if I even will get the rifles for those or not.
Old 10-24-2021, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I have had some modern pairings:
357mag ruger blackhawk
357mag winchester 1892
41mag ruger blackhawk
41mag marlin 1894
44mag S&W 629
44mag ruger deerstalker

Unfortunately, I recently got a bunch of different caliber 1873 clone revolvers that are going to be needing rifles to pair with them:
32-20
38-40
44-40
45colt

I'm leaning towards an uberti 45colt 1873 with a 20" octagon barrel to start with and then a marlin or winchester 32-20.
Not sure what I should be looking at for 38-40 and 44-40 or if I even will get the rifles for those or not.
Definitely some nice firearms. Are most of your 1873 clones Uberti? That's quite a variety of calibers.

Normally I like to pair up cowboy style single action revolvers with lever action rifles. Taylor's lists a Cattleman in .44 magnum and Uberti calls it a Callahan on their website. Neither company lists a .41 magnum. My current .41 magnums are an S&W Model 57 and a Blackhawk and my current .44 magnums are an S&W Model 29 and a stainless Redhawk. Those are not cowboy style revolvers so the .41 and .44 magnum levers will probably not happen.

My current (and future) pair ups are:

Winchester Model 94 in .45 Colt / Taylor's Gunfighter in .45 Colt
Henry Big Boy Classic in .45 Colt / Taylor's Gunfighter in .45 Colt
Henry CCH Side Gate in .357 magnum (ordered) / Taylor's Smoke Wagon in .357 magnum
Henry CCH Side Gate Carbine in .357 magnum (ordered) / Taylor's Smoke Wagon in .357 magnum (ordered)

I still need two lever actions in .45 Colt to pair up with my two Colt SAAs in .45 Colt.
Old 10-25-2021, 5:28 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:

Without photos of the claimed flaw in metal finishing/prep/polish before the CCH process, that is hard to believe.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 10-25-2021, 5:39 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:

32-20
38-40
44-40
45colt

Old 10-25-2021, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Without photos of the claimed flaw in metal finishing/prep/polish before the CCH process, that is hard to believe.
How would a consumer have a pre-process photo? There are photos of the final product in the post. Here’s a sample.

The mfg says it’s part of the CCH process. I’m looking at my CCH guns and feeling deprived as none of them have that feature…I guess I shoulda paid more for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80245283-4A7B-432B-B774-292861FBD67C.jpg (17.0 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Dvrjon; 10-25-2021 at 9:14 AM..
Old 10-25-2021, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Hmm, that's disturbing. I'll have to give this some thought. Receiving a gun with a flaw occasionally happens but the manufacturer's position is what's disturbing.
Quote:
That's BS...

Thanks for the link..I'll scratch the SM and write in Colt
Not looking to turn you guys off, as that story was last year, and certainly many other happy customers are out there. But, if you’re dumping $2K in this direction, and in the past they appear to have blown off their their warranty statement, that’s something to know going into the party, not after you arrive.
Old 10-25-2021, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not looking to turn you guys off, as that story was last year, and certainly many other happy customers are out there. But, if you’re dumping $2K in this direction, and in the past they appear to have blown off their their warranty statement, that’s something to know going into the party, not after you arrive.
What I don't like is that they didn't offer to take the gun back and look at it. How much would it cost them to do that vs the money they're going go lose in future sales.

MLC, First 3
Old 10-25-2021, 9:40 AM

Quote:
What I don't like is that they didn't offer to take the gun back and look at it. How much would it cost them to do that vs the money they're going go lose in future sales.
They appear to have tightened up their Terms and Conditions.. It looks like: One-year warranty; you need authorization to return; you pay shipping; you pay $225/hr to fix. Much different from the lifetime/no questions asked of last year.

ETA: A manufacturer offering a “lifetime/no questions asked, we pay shipping” warranty has a very attractive sales position. To shift from that to a one-year, constrictive basis makes me think they were losing a ton of money on warranty service.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 10-25-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Old 10-25-2021, 9:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They appear to have tightened up their Terms and Conditions.. It looks like: One-year warranty; you need authorization to return; you pay shipping; you pay $225/hr to fix. Much different from the lifetime/no questions asked of last year.
Again, that's BS..

MLC, First 3
Old 10-25-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I know that flaws and defects are rare but they do sometimes happen. I would hope that when they happen an inspector would catch them before the gun leaves the factory.
Of course the ideal situation would be finding one at a gun shop that I could inspect myself before buying but these days I doubt that will happen. When I find a gun shop near me that will place orders I'll have to decide between a Standard Mfg. or another Colt SAA.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:24 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
How would a consumer have a pre-process photo?

That's not what I meant. I said it that way only to describe in the owner's words , or corroborate, the flaw in the metal.

Now that I see a photo, I can see the flaw, and it's definitely not a part of the CCH.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2021, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Considering how highly they tout their guns it is surprising they’d call that a natural part of the process. I’ve been ogling CCH guns just about non-stop for the past few months and I’ve never seen a single one with crusty barnacles stuck to it.

The thing about clocking the screws in all the same direction makes me chuckle. They call it attention to detail but to me it just draws attention to the screws and looks unnatural. I like it on a light switch cover, not so much on a SAA.
Old 10-25-2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplow View Post
Considering how highly they tout their guns it is surprising they’d call that a natural part of the process. I’ve been ogling CCH guns just about non-stop for the past few months and I’ve never seen a single one with crusty barnacles stuck to it.

The thing about clocking the screws in all the same direction makes me chuckle. They call it attention to detail but to me it just draws attention to the screws and looks unnatural. I like it on a light switch cover, not so much on a SAA.
That eliminates the need to torque the screws…just make sure they line up.

OTOH, Light switch covers require clocking at 12/6 positions to ensure dust doesn’t collect in the slots.
Old 10-26-2021, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
32-20
38-40
44-40

Winchester 1892's, of course.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 10-26-2021, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That eliminates the need to torque the screws…just make sure they line up.

OTOH, Light switch covers require clocking at 12/6 positions to ensure dust doesn’t collect in the slots.
Meh, I still think it looks funny. I’m going to perform an experiment with my switch cover screws. I’ll clean two on the same wall plate. Turn one horizontal and the other vertical. In 6 months I will analyze the dust collected.

When I was learning the trade my boss said we did it because it looks nice and we’ll know which screw we’ve touched for warranty purposes or repeat customers.
Old 10-26-2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Meh, I still think it looks funny.
Um…just to be clear, gun screws need to be torqued, regardless of where the slots line up.
Quote:
I’m going to perform an experiment with my switch cover screws. I’ll clean two on the same wall plate. Turn one horizontal and the other vertical. In 6 months I will analyze the dust collected.
OK, but remember, this only applies to dust resting in the slots. Vertically-aligned slots will lose dust, as gravity will pull it down. However, the dust may wind up on the bottom of the plate, or the floor. That doesn’t count.

Quote:
When I was learning the trade my boss said we did it because it looks nice and we’ll know which screw we’ve touched for warranty purposes or repeat customers.
Every time I’ve bought a house, I turned the screws vertical. Contractor work? Vertical alignment required….it’s a “thing”.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I’m going to perform an experiment with my switch cover screws.
I’ll clean two on the same wall plate.
Turn one horizontal and the other vertical.
In 6 months I will analyze the dust collected.
I'm going to sneak into your house and turn those horizontal screws 180 degrees 2 weeks before you analyze them.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Um…just to be clear, gun screws need to be torqued, regardless of where the slots line up.
In fine gunsmithing, you use a screw with an oversized head so you can clock it into alignment when it's tight.
You cut under the head to make it advance more.
Then at the end, you knock off the excess height and make the screw slot perfect before you blue the gun and screws.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I'm going to sneak into your house and turn those horizontal screws 180 degrees 2 weeks before you analyze them.
I dgaf about my wall plates but while you're down this way, would you mind sneaking into my safe and clocking all my gun screws? I'll leave the back door open and tell Fritz to ignore the new guy holding a screwdriver LoL

Old 10-27-2021, 12:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Yeah sure, I won’t disagree with that. I still think they look funny when they Al point the same direction.
OK, but remember, this only applies to dust resting in the slots. Vertically-aligned slots will lose dust, as gravity will pull it down. However, the dust may wind up on the bottom of the plate, or the floor. That doesn’t count.

That’s the whole point of the experiment, I won’t be checking for dust on the floor. Only in screw slots.

Every time I’ve bought a house, I turned the screws vertical. Contractor work? Vertical alignment required….it’s a “thing”.

My hat is off to you. I do it for a living and I ain’t never checked my screws!
My response in BOLD kind sir!!!
Old 10-27-2021, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sad part is my dog would bark, I’d tell him to STFU, and I’d go back to bed without even shooting you!
Old 10-27-2021, 4:21 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, the thread flew off the rails pretty fast. WTG!

MLC
Old 10-27-2021, 7:00 AM

Quote:
It also perfectly aligns the flat blade of the screwdriver to slip into a hot receptacle. I always thought the screws should be Phillips oval heads.

Sorry for the thread jack...

Dan
Old 10-27-2021, 7:28 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post

Nice collection of whirlenpoppers, there, but we see too many plastic pistols in the mix. What the h. e. double-hockey-sticks izzup widdat?

Old 10-27-2021, 8:40 AM

Quote:
In fine gunsmithing, you use a screw with an oversized head so you can clock it into alignment when it's tight.
You cut under the head to make it advance more.
Then at the end, you knock off the excess height and make the screw slot perfect before you blue the gun and screws.
Yup. That’s what they did on my Glocks.
Old 10-27-2021, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Wow, the thread flew off the rails pretty fast. WTG! MLC
We’ll, to re-rail…..I am on vacation for my B-Day, so have limited resources available. However, I do have this on the phone:

H&R Side-Kick Slab sided .22LR
Uberti Cattleman II, CCH, in .38/.357M
Uberti Cattleman Ursus, CCH, in 10MM (ported barrel)
Ruger Wrangler in .22LR

Red blanket; United Airlines, Vintage mid-90’s

A closer look at the Cattleman II CCH.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DBB22F0-768C-466A-A1D8-17F1D70F8E79.jpg (9.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg AFC6B4C2-AD6C-4051-9655-6C4E903378F0.jpg (20.5 KB, 44 views)