Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2019, 8:05 AM

Default Legal to shoot on property in unincorporated Ventura Co.?

Was with a friend yesterday who has a house on 10 acres in unincorporated Ventura Co, CA

He said he can shoot on his property if he shoots past "x" feet of any building on his or adjacent property and does so at least once a week.

Said there are 2 property's on the hills past his that have their own ranges. Said one of those owners came over on his ATV and said he is approved to shoot on his property but the "agreement" is not during school hrs/days.

I was not aware of this. What say CG on this?

IMHO there is no way shooting a AR15 that people a mile away won't hear what is clearly gun shots but he says his closest neighbor shoots clay pigeons all the time

He lives less than 3 miles from my house so I would gladly join him if this is "legal"
Old 09-24-2019, 8:22 AM

My understanding is that as long as the shooting spot meets all the distance requirements it is legal. I think that even his own house counts as an "occupied structure", not just other houses. I think it also has to be the legal distance of any publicly used roadway, even if it's not a maintained public road. If it were my property and everything seemed legal, I'd have a conversation with the Sheriff about it before shooting on it. Much better for them to know and be on your side rather than risk them coming after you because of a shots fired call.
Old 09-24-2019, 8:55 AM

talk to sheriffs office then they will not spaz out if they hear shots
Old 09-24-2019, 9:47 AM

IDK if he has spoken with LEO but he has been shooting as have his neighbors.

He is aware of the distances and says there is a "spot" on his 10 acres that meet the distance requirements.

He has steel targets set up against embankments he made with his dozer.

He generally shoots 9mm and has "freedom week" mags for those but just bought a new AR that came with a "fixed mag". I didn't recognize the brand but he said it was over $1k and the fixed mag device is the type that eliminates the forward release but has a "kingpin" type rear take down. IDK if its the Juggernaut or what. From my understanding you need to use only 10 round in that AR

The neighbor who came over in his ATV that has a range set up on his property says he lets local LEO (swat) friends use it but "his" agreement is not to shoot during school hrs. IDK who that "agreement" is with though and if it written or just verbal