Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 3:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Stones for me.

I haven't tried one on a knife yet but my guess is that improper use of a knife belt sander/grinder can ruin a knife a lot faster than any damage you can do w/a stone. I've ruined a few things w/a circular grinder so I'll just stick to hand sharpening w/stones UNLESS I get into the business and need to sharpen a lot more knives much faster.

If I ever do buy a knife sander/grinder, I'll be sure to "practice" using it on cheap/disposable knives before attempting to sharpen anything valuable. Suggest that anyone considering such a purchase do the same.
Stones for me too, and steels and strops...I saw a new, untouched $5,500 Japanese natural stone yesterday at Hida Tool in Berkeley across the street from REI, have you ever been in that place? Fun little shop to check out on San Pablo a half block south of Gillman.

Yes, the belt eats up the blade faster, a skilled operator tries to reduce this, hopefully, but the angle of grind can be quickly altered w/a belt, the stone not so much unless you really try. I sell Friedr. Dick sharpening machines and they manufacture both belt systems and stone wheel both flat an horizontal stones. In high volume processing they mostly use a water cooled belt for speed, then to a 1000 grit vertical stone or sanding wheel then to a cotton polishing wheel with compound. This is one of the machines, there are several optional fixtures that go on these machines depending on what you are sharpening.

Here's a belt and honing wheel fixture, a lot of grinders will do these operations free-hand but some want to be exact with their edge grinds

I recently sold one of these machines to Harris Ranch on I-5 to sharpen their Buffalo chopper blades which have a 10" curved edge and a convex blade so they actually use a belt with a fixture to dress the convex about a 1/2" behind the edge after they sharpen the edge; all German made machines, beautiful, shiny toys for knife guys

On this machine they have the option of using the top grinder, a belt and a paper honing and polishing wheels, this pic shows the Buffalo chopper knife fixture installed on top, the operator holds the two black knobs and swings the knife's edge across the wet stone.

Last edited by MeatyMac; 04-17-2019 at 7:48 PM..
Old 04-16-2019, 6:51 AM

I have a Worksharp. I'll use that for kitchen knives and knives I generally don't care about that much. Lansky System for the knives I care about or that I want to get scary sharp. Sharpmaker for maintenance on the EDC knives.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't worry scro!" - Dr. Lexus
Old 04-16-2019, 7:11 AM

no one uses Belgian coticules?
Old 04-16-2019, 8:06 AM

Fun fact about them. They offer knife sharpening but they send all of their work out to someone else (guy drives around with a truck and sharpens - is often at the Farmer's market). He's a hack that doesn't know how to sharpen Japanese knives at all.

It's sad because I like the shop otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
Stones for me too, and steels and strops...I saw a new, untouched $5,500 Japanese natural stone yesterday at Hida Tool in Berkeley across the street from REI, have you ever been in that place? Fun little shop to check out on San Pablo a half block south of Gillman.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bernal Cutlery does wet stone sharpening by hand exclusively but even they will use a belt to shape a convex edge, they will finish the edge on a wet stone though. I'll have to ask Mark at Golden State Sharpening how he sharpens Japanese knives now, he's the mobile sharpening guy you're referencing, he's always offered belt/wheel sharpening but I believe he's now offering wet stone sharpening as well for an extra charge.

Very few of the sharpening services in the Bay Area do wet stone sharpening exclusively, most of them are using some combo of belt/stone wheel/strop or paper wheel or just stone wheel/strop or paper wheel. Belt sharpening is typically just the first step, if the edge is established a good grinder will skip the belt and go right to a stone wheel, a good grinder tries to removes as little metal as they have to. What concerns me the most about using a belt is the heat and possible temper loss which can greatly effect edge retention, if the grinder is controlling belt speed and using a water cooled belt that's the best method, a water cooled belt going through a bath of water is what's usually encountered but some grinders and knife manufactures will use a bath and will also mist water from a nozzle at the grind point, some will use a water additive to cool the water that's being misted at the grind point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverser View Post
Fun fact about them. They offer knife sharpening but they send all of their work out to someone else (guy drives around with a truck and sharpens - is often at the Farmer's market). He's a hack that doesn't know how to sharpen Japanese knives at all.

It's sad because I like the shop otherwise.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:46 AM

Wicked sharp system
Old 06-25-2019, 9:25 PM

Ditto . . . learn how to use a stone well. Then buy a Lansky. Period.
Closed Thread