Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-04-2019, 6:03 PM

Default 1980s AIT

I am curious if all BT/AIT was like this in the 80s.

I was at Fort Sill for 13 Foxtrot AIT. I was given a list of stuff to bring and on that list was running shoes. I brought a decent, brand new pair but once at Ft Sill, they made me buy shoes in the PX that were junk.

During the basic portion, we ran two miles a day in the running shoes. There was no hot water anywhere, we took cold showers. No heat in the clothes dryers, it took hours to dry anything.

We got up 1 hour before any other platoon and started PT. We were up at least 1 hour after the other platoons.

After the people only there for BT graduated, in AIT, we ran 4 miles a day, or more, in boots. Not to mention running to class, back for lunch, back to class and then back to the dorms.

Everyone else run in boots with only cold water and no heat in the dryers?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:48 AM

I was at Ft Leonard Wood in 87, we ran in running shoes for PT but did double time in BDUs and boots at times. I believe we had hot water in the showers. We paid to have our laundry cleaned because our DIs said we would have no time to do it ourselves and they were right, they made sure of it.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:01 PM

Fort Knox 86-87, Disney Barracks, Armor Cohort. For basic, if you were not in formation, you were running everywhere, but had our own bought running shoes for PT. Showers can get hot and we had to make time to do our own laundry. AIT was less strict, but mostly the same.

The cool part was for reception we were in the barracks that were in the movie Stripes.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:56 PM

I was at Ft Knox for AIT and it was less strict than BCT. I enjoyed the freedom we had at AIT. We had none at BCT. Not complaining its just what it was.
Old 10-15-2019, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I had One Station Unit Training at Ft Knox, basic and AIT combined same place same DS’s. Nothing really changed from day one till the end, never eased up it was like one prolonged basic training. But it wasn’t bad, I’m pretty sure we had hot water and laundry was never an issue. PT was in running shoes, I brought mine from home, but lots of double time in boots. I was blessed with infantryman feet, never caused me any problems.
Old 10-20-2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
I had One Station Unit Training at Ft Knox, basic and AIT combined same place same DS’s. Nothing really changed from day one till the end, never eased up it was like one prolonged basic training. But it wasn’t bad, I’m pretty sure we had hot water and laundry was never an issue. PT was in running shoes, I brought mine from home, but lots of double time in boots. I was blessed with infantryman feet, never caused me any problems.
Same here, just @ Ft. Benning (86). It was pretty intense though, as we had 2 platoon’s, but DS’s for 4.