Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-25-2020, 8:02 PM

Default Sling for shotgun class...

Planning on taking the 4-day shotgun class at FS and need a sling. I have a Mossberg 590A1. Read a few reviews of the class and one reviewer stated a single point sling was much preferred for that class over a 2-point sling, citing comfort as the main factor. May also put a Magpul adjustable stock on the shotgun because the stock stock is a bit long (surprising because I'm 6'2).

What's the best single point sling for this shotgun and what adapters would I need to attach the sling? I've looked at Magpul's slings and it's reply confusing.
Old 03-25-2020, 8:25 PM

Thats a big shotgun for a single point I would just go with a 2 pointer myself and use the swivels it came with.
They make thinner butt pads you could try,never tried them myself.
Im 6ft 240 myself.
Old 03-25-2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmann View Post
Thats a big shotgun for a single point I would just go with a 2 pointer myself and use the swivels it came with.
They make thinner butt pads you could try,never tried them myself.
Im 6ft 240 myself.
Thanks for the suggestion. I really don't know anything about shotguns so any advice or recommendations is definitely welcomed. Any recommendations on a 2-point sling that would work with the stock mounts? I have the 50771 model.
Old 03-25-2020, 9:44 PM

I just use a regular nylon sling nothing fancy at all.
Im pretty old school.
The carry position you will use in training will determine the type of sling you use.
Wish I could be of more help.
Try youtube for vids.
Check this guy out and his other vids.
https://youtu.be/G2HRsAYxi_0
Old 03-25-2020, 11:59 PM

Look at the options from Specter Gear. I have the standard 2 point sling for my 590 and I love it.

I'm not doing tactical classes but I use it to keep my shotgun on me after dispatching coyotes when they get to close to the house.

I used to have to carry the gun in one hand while dragging the dead bastard to the edge of the field in the other. I wanted to be able to carry the gun and have both hands to be able to focus on the task at hand. I don't have to set the thing down anymore and with one hand I can quickly adjust if I need to. I am very happy with it.

https://www.spectergear.com/searchresults.asp?cat=186
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
...He comes out while I'm at work to **** the wife..I shall name him Sancho.
Old 03-26-2020, 3:44 AM
Calguns Addict

A cheap web sling unless you're using the shotgun for foot patrol.
Old 03-26-2020, 3:54 AM
Veteran Member

Can't go wrong with a Magpul MS1
Old 03-26-2020, 3:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Agree a 2 point sling for that big one.

Suggest cutting off the stock to fit better. Use a fine tooth saw.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-26-2020, 4:00 AM

Depending on your setup I would recommend a 2 point setup as well. I used to use a standard nylon sling that I cut to length with the uncle mikes QD mounts.

I forget who makes a 2 point that actually wraps the rear stock and uses a swivel attachment up front.

I recently went magpul sga furniture on my 870 and use qd mounts for the sling with a blue force gear two point. It’s the same sling I use on my rifles. So I just take the sling off my rifle mount it on the shottie and cinch it down. I prefer a two point as well easy to secure the shotgun when you need to use both hands

I used to use a single point but securing the rifle or shotgun required more work when you need to use both hands. Benefit if a single point is easier transition from left to right shoulder but with proper training you can do the same with a 2 point sling
Old 03-26-2020, 5:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Because my shotgun is NOT a primary weapon, I use a bandolier sling. For LAST STAND home defense, it'll be fine.

Not sure if I'd be slinging shells left and right, if I were running/jumping/tumbling with one. A class might be a good way to discover that.

But if it turns out it does, maybe a SECOND sling would be advisable to take along, and switch to.
Old 03-26-2020, 7:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've used the older Magpul MS2 sling, get best of both worlds in a single point and two-point sling. Do live fire in single, just be careful of working transitions to sidearm that you clear it to the side and not nutmeg yourself. Extend to two-point during rest periods and sling it over your shoulder.

Plenty of different slings to choose from. Also have a Blue Force Gear (Vickers) sling. Being able to steady the shotgun when trying to hit a gong with slugs is always a plus (learn how to cuff it).

Good luck brother!!!
Vinny

shuttlecock
Old 03-26-2020, 7:14 AM

I ended up ordering a Magpul M1 2-point sling. I like that sling because it can be converted to a single point sling with an adapter, so best of both worlds, but after listening to you guys and reading up on it more it seems like the 2-point sling is the way to go. Plus, the slider on the Magpul to adjust the sling seems to be one of the easiest out there to quickly adjust.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-26-2020 at 1:29 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I use the Vickers padded sling by Blue Force Gear for all my rifles and shotgun. The padding makes it comfortable for an all day class.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:47 PM

Interesting thread. I had never thought about shotgun slings outside of duck hunting.

What kind of gear will you be wearing? That might affect adjust ability. I use a shorter sling for club hunting, because i dont have to carry as much gear.For refuge hunting I use a sling with more adjustability because I am carrying the shotgun, day pack, and decoy bag.

Gear may change how you carry and shoulder a shotgun. Does it interfere with holstered pistol? What kind of jacket or coat are you wearing?
Old 03-26-2020, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post
Interesting thread. I had never thought about shotgun slings outside of duck hunting.

What kind of gear will you be wearing? That might affect adjust ability. I use a shorter sling for club hunting, because i dont have to carry as much gear.For refuge hunting I use a sling with more adjustability because I am carrying the shotgun, day pack, and decoy bag.

Gear may change how you carry and shoulder a shotgun. Does it interfere with holstered pistol? What kind of jacket or coat are you wearing?
Last time I was at FS I was just wearing BDU/cargo pants and a t-shirt, layered with a ling sleeve shirt if it got cooler and a lined flannel when it was in the 40's in the morning before it warmed up. Wont be wearing any packs, won't have a pistol in a holster, etc. Just the shotgun, ear and eye protection, possibly knee pads (that slip inside the pants) since we'll also be learning to shoot from a kneeling position, and maybe a dump pouch to hold extra shells.
Old 03-26-2020, 3:08 PM

OK Vinnie as a fellow Front Sight Shotgunner I will show you what I do and you can go from there. Been to 5 shotgun classes so I'm starting the get the hang of it.

1. Do get the Magpul Buttstock and Fore End Magpul also makes an adapter to adapt a Remington recoil pad to the stock. Much larger than the regular Magpul pad, distributes recoil over a larger area..

Your sling choice is OK. However in order to mount it you will need an adapter with QD Sockets that bridges the Barrel and Mag Tube. Also from Magpul.

Next you will need the QD sockets to put in the holes on the sides of the stock.

Don't get the Magpul ones as they don't limit rotation and thus get tangled up easily, and they are also expensive. Go to Midway and get the Grove-Tec ones which are cheaper and do limit rotation and are like $8 for 2 each. Also get the Grov-Tec QD Sling Swivels for 1.25" slings. They are also cheap compared to Magpul. The Grov-Tec sockets get screwed into the holes in the stock and you need one on both sides.

When you rig the sling for Cross Body carry, which is the easiest way to do it for a class, you want to plug the sling into the right side of the stock so the gun is held up against you by the sling. If you rig it on the left side the gun will fall away form you constantly which gets old fast! You don't want the sling swivels to be able to fully rotate as it will get tangled easily. Hence the Limited Rotation Grov-Tec Sockets and Swivels.

The Magpul Front Socket is rotation limited so no problem with it.

Here some pics of my gun and it took 3 trips to get it right You get all of this knowledge for free.

The last pic is of the Vang Comp Porting and Barrel Work which will make the gun very smooth to shoot.

My gun is an absolute joy to shoot which makes it much easier to learn the lessons without getting beat to crap.

here's some links:

Magpul Barrel Adapter https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100529362?pid=458557 ( if you take the loop off it has a socket just like the other side.)

Grov-Tec Swivels and Sockets https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015372197?pid=625257

Magpul Stock https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319512418

Forend https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319147823

Recoil Pad Adapter https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100529344?pid=189589

Recoil Pad https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005553819?pid=314558

And finally Vang Comp which transforms the 590 from a Butt beater to a nice smooth shooting piece of machinery. www.vangcomp.com

Hope this helps, and you've got plenty of time to get it all done before FS reopens next month. Sorry but lots of this stuff is out of stock at Midway but at least you'll know what to look for at other vendors.

Good Luck Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464676.jpg (51.8 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 100465061.jpg (24.9 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg 100465062.jpg (28.2 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg 100465064.jpg (17.7 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 100465065.JPG (93.9 KB, 217 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-26-2020 at 3:32 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
OK Vinnie as a fellow Front Sight Shotgunner I will show you what I do and you can go from there. Been to 5 shotgun classes so I'm starting the get the hang of it.

1. Do get the Magpul Buttstock and Fore End Magpul also makes an adapter to adapt a Remington recoil pad to the stock. Much larger than the regular Magpul pad, distributes recoil over a larger area..

Your sling choice is OK. However in order to mount it you will need an adapter with QD Sockets that bridges the Barrel and Mag Tube. Also from Magpul.

Next you will need the QD sockets to put in the holes on the sides of the stock.

Don't get the Magpul ones as they don't limit rotation and thus get tangled up easily, and they are also expensive. Go to Midway and get the Grove-Tec ones which are cheaper and do limit rotation and are like $8 for 2 each. Also get the Grov-Tec QD Sling Swivels for 1.25" slings. They are also cheap compared to Magpul. The Grov-Tec sockets get screwed into the holes in the stock and you need one on both sides.

When you rig the sling for Cross Body carry, which is the easiest way to do it for a class, you want to plug the sling into the right side of the stock so the gun is held up against you by the sling. If you rig it on the left side the gun will fall away form you constantly which gets old fast! You don't want the sling swivels to be able to fully rotate as it will get tangled easily. Hence the Limited Rotation Grov-Tec Sockets and Swivels.

The Magpul Front Socket is rotation limited so no problem with it.

Here some pics of my gun and it took 3 trips to get it right You get all of this knowledge for free.

The last pic is of the Vang Comp Porting and Barrel Work which will make the gun very smooth to shoot.

My gun is an absolute joy to shoot which makes it much easier to learn the lessons without getting beat to crap.

here's some links:

Magpul Barrel Adapter https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100529362?pid=458557 ( if you take the loop off it has a socket just like the other side.)

Grov-Tec Swivels and Sockets https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015372197?pid=625257

Magpul Stock https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319512418

Forend https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319147823

Recoil Pad Adapter https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100529344?pid=189589

Recoil Pad https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005553819?pid=314558

And finally Vang Comp which transforms the 590 from a Butt beater to a nice smooth shooting piece of machinery. www.vangcomp.com

Hope this helps, and you've got plenty of time to get it all done before FS reopens next month. Sorry but lots of this stuff is out of stock at Midway but at least you'll know what to look for at other vendors.

Good Luck Randy

PM sent. Thanks for this!
Old 03-26-2020, 8:02 PM

Wondering what the advantages and/or disadvantages would be for attaching the front of the sling with either of these methods:

Attaching a swivel to the magazine cap since magazine cap on the 590A1 has a mount for something like this:

vs.

This Magpul mount:

And if I did go with the Magpul mount, do most prefer the QD attachment or the clip attachment?

It does seem like the Magpul mount would be more secure and less strain on the end of the magazine tube with the other way of mounting the sling.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-26-2020 at 8:05 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Default ><

Randy

Did you run the same Magpul buttstock and recoil pad before and after the Vang barrel addition?
Old 03-27-2020, 5:43 AM

Here's what I ended up going with, and thanks to everyone who offered opinions.

Magpul stock.

GrovTec Heavy Duty Push Button Sling Swivel Set w/ Limited Rotation Swivel Bases (to attach sling to stock)

Magpul MS1 Sling

Magpul Paraclip (to attach sling to front)

Magpul Forward Sling Attachment

Magpul Forward Sling Mount

P.S. I should have just bought the damn Magpul version of this shotgun to begin with. Sure, the bayonet is cool, but I'd probably never use it and would have had all the Magpul options already on the gun in place of the bayonet.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-27-2020 at 6:01 AM..
Old 03-27-2020, 11:43 AM

feeder: yes I did. Vang Comp came just before the 3rd class.

Scott: I see what you were saying about the Sockets on Midway.

Here's the link to the Grov-Tec Limited Rotation Sockets
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004655786?pid=972000

For those of you who are following this, what happens without limited rotation sockets is that the sling swivel will freely rotate 360 degrees and this will happen frequently when you are taking the gun on or off before and after different iterations during the day. This ends up as a twist in the sling which is a PITB to deal with when you are trying to concentrate on what they just taught you.

Guys getting the gun set up to where it works with you instead of against you is a big deal. You are standing around with a 6-10 lb gun hanging off you for long periods of time and if it isn't comfortable is gets old FAST!

My experience in setting up guns which are used in class situations will also transfer to field uses, and usually it isn't exactly right the first time, however I can always get it right after a few tries because I keep at it until it is right. I have no tolerance for guns that have rough edges and wear on your hands, or things about them that just don't work well. They get fixed or get gone!. This has carried over to all my Carbines and Shotguns, and on my latest one (Ruger PCC Carbine) I just did what I knew would work and it was perfect right out of the gate.

There is also alot of personal preference here and you have to do what works for you, this isn't a one size fits all situation, it usually becomes a trial and error thing and I have plenty of spare parts to show for it.

Once you get your gun set up right, and then your gun handling comes together, you can then concentrate on speed of shot delivery and accuracy.

But gun setup is the first thing you do after you take it out of the box. It is where you start.

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-27-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Old 03-27-2020, 12:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Here's what I ended up going with, and thanks to everyone who offered opinions.

Magpul stock.

GrovTec Heavy Duty Push Button Sling Swivel Set w/ Limited Rotation Swivel Bases (to attach sling to stock)

Magpul MS1 Sling

Magpul Paraclip (to attach sling to front)

Magpul Forward Sling Attachment

Magpul Forward Sling Mount

P.S. I should have just bought the damn Magpul version of this shotgun to begin with. Sure, the bayonet is cool, but I'd probably never use it and would have had all the Magpul options already on the gun in place of the bayonet.
That's a pretty damn sweet setup.

I was hoping to have an all-in-one shotty for hunting/trap shooting/HD and training. But buying a second barrel to cut down to 18.25 inches for the semi auto isn't cost effective--at $380, maybe I'll look at buying a dedicated HD shotgun.
Old 03-27-2020, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Randy - great post about set up

Vinne- avoid single point slings unless you like getting hit in the nuts.

I would add to Randyís post to not be afraid to change your set up mid class and not suffer. Add to the comb to adjust getting a good cheek mount so the sights or bead is right without adjustment so you donít get slapped in the face with recoil and you are on target faster.

Iím signed up for the May 1st class for shot gun. I have shot a ton of trap over the years and look forward to learning some new things about the shotgun and how to reload much faster.
Old 03-27-2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Randy - great post about set up

Vinne- avoid single point slings unless you like getting hit in the nuts.

I would add to Randy’s post to not be afraid to change your set up mid class and not suffer. Add to the comb to adjust getting a good cheek mount so the sights or bead is right without adjustment so you don’t get slapped in the face with recoil and you are on target faster.

I’m signed up for the May 1st class for shot gun. I have shot a ton of trap over the years and look forward to learning some new things about the shotgun and how to reload much faster.
I don't like getting hit in the nuts.

My shotgun has ghost rings, but they're pretty high off the barrel.

Old 03-27-2020, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

Shot guns are all about fit. The better they fit the more accurate you are on moving targets. Personally if you eye doesn’t line up with the sights with your cheek into the stock then you can build up a cheek piece with foam and tape. I have used these before https://matthewsfabrication.com/
Before you do anything if you have the chance is to go to a range and pattern your shot gun and see where it hits with your particular load. The sights you have on your shotgun work well especially for slug. Just need to make the gun fit you. When are you planning to attend a class?
Old 03-27-2020, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I liked the Vickers Blue Force Gear VCAS padded sling for shotgun classes.

You'll want to mount the sling not using the swivel studs under the shotgun, but on the side of the shotgun.
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 03-28-2020, 2:19 PM

The MS1 sling arrived today. Now I have to wait for all the other parts. Was tough finding all the parts from one vendor, as many things are out of stock, or not the color I wanted. The Magpul SGA stock was the toughest thing to find. Hopefully everything else shows up by the end of next week.
Old 03-28-2020, 2:29 PM

Personally OP, I'm a fan of Blue Force Gear's padded(always!) VCAS slings. I use on on all my rifles and shotguns. Also always with 'QD' attachment.

That last is of particular import on scatterguns as, often, conventional 'fixed loop' mounted slings have to be removed to field strip and clean scatterguns. Big PITA.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 03-28-2020 at 2:32 PM..
Old 03-28-2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I don't like getting hit in the nuts.

My shotgun has ghost rings, but they're pretty high off the barrel.

Good to see you got the one with the rifle sights. when shooting slugs you have a .73 caliber rifle and Rifle Sights come in handy.

All my Tactical Shotguns have them, and I just got a new barrel for my 18.5" HD gun that has sights. All mine are open sights and I try to install green FO inserts in them as that color shines bright in the sunlight or if you have a light on the gun at home you can't miss the Front Sight at night.

I don't think you can do that with the Mossberg Front Sight as they are solid usually painted dayglo orange. I recommend painting the back edge of the Front Sight White as it seems to show up better against more backgrounds than other colors.

Oh and get the Magpul Fore End too as it is easy to mount a 3" piece of Pic Rail under it to attach a light. And the real added bonus is that the flange on the rear of the fore end makes it faster to close the bolt when port loading the gun.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100465059.jpg (27.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 100464070.JPG (75.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 100464710.jpg (39.2 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-28-2020 at 2:39 PM..
Old 03-28-2020, 2:36 PM

My Mossberg has a fiber optic front sight:

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-28-2020 at 2:51 PM..
Old 03-28-2020, 2:46 PM

Great you can just snip it and get some green FO rod material from Brownell's and change it out when you get a chance. It's easy to do just heat one end with a match or butane lighter until it melts and forms a bead then insert it thru the holes in the sight and heat the other end until it forms a bead. Done Might take a few times to get the hang of it, but you'll have plenty of material to work with.

Actually after seeing yours up close there might be Green FO Light Pipes premade for that sight. Brownell's is the place to look for all the stuff for your gun. While you're at it look for a steel raised safety button from them as well. Helps with safety manipulation when you do it hundreds of times in a day.

Velcro side saddle. google "Browncoat Tactical" for that as they are the best.

Isn't this fun?

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464915.JPG (75.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 100464706.JPG (67.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 100464709.jpg (39.9 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-28-2020 at 2:54 PM..
Old 03-28-2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Great you can just snip it and get some green FO rod material from Brownell's and change it out when you get a chance. It's easy to do just heat one end with a match or butane lighter until it melts and forms a bead then insert it thru the holes in the sight and heat the other end until it forms a bead. Done Might take a few times to get the hang of it, but you'll have plenty of material to work with.

Actually after seeing yours up close there might be Green FO Light Pipes premade for that sight. Brownell's is the place to look for all the stuff for your gun. While you're at it look for a steel raised safety button from them as well. Helps with safety manipulation when you do it hundreds of times in a day.

Velcro side saddle. google "Browncoat Tactical" for that as they are the best.

Isn't this fun?

Randy

We're on the same page again! Got three side saddles/shot cards from Browncoat Tactical last week. At first I thought I got the wrong side saddle, because the shells were really hard to load into the saddle/shot card, bot they have stretched out a bit. I was thinking I'd prefer the fixed/rigid side saddle instead, but I think these will loosen up a bit more. I hope they do.

So you prefer a green fiber optic over red? More visible?

Also I see you got the Brownell's safety. I've seen a few others out there as well or varying shapes/designs.
Old 03-28-2020, 3:22 PM

Also discovered that the knob/wheel to attach the rear sight gets in the way of one of the shells on the shot card because it's so big. I like to load the card with the brass side up since it makes it way easier to load a shell directly into the receiver and going over the top.

Also having a hard time getting a good cheek weld on the stock and being able to line up the sights properly. Thinking this may be a problem with the stock being too long, perhaps, which would be solved once the Magpul stock arrives. I just seem to have to put my face really far forward to get these sights to line up. Or would moving the front sight up further on the rail help with this problem?

I'm obviously new to shotguns, so I apologize for all the questions and lack of knowledge!

Old 03-28-2020, 4:00 PM

And the one time I need my digital calipers to figure out the diameter of the front fiber optic rod and I can't find them.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-28-2020 at 5:17 PM..
Old 03-29-2020, 1:26 PM

It's probably .062. or maybe .093.

The Browncoat Tactical cards are tight for a reason. It's so you shells down't drop out the bottom while firing the gun. Also you'll load them up from the bottom and when doing Select Slug Drills you need to hang the front one way down and grab it with you thumb and ring finger which will allow transition to the four finger hold much faster.

You'll run your Magpul stock with no spacers 12 1/2" LOP. this will help you square up to the target and get down on eh stock more. YOU HAVE GOT TO HAVE YOUR CHEEK ON THE GUN OR YOU WILL GET SLAPPED,,,, and that hurts!

Can the knob on the sight be transferred to the right side?

This is all stuff you will learn in the classes. But your gun is coming along nicely, and not having to fight with it will help you alot.

One thing that will help alot is to learn how to hold the shells. see pic. 90% of your gun handling involves handling the shells. Get this down and you'll be golden. Also buy one of the Dry Practice Training Manuals for shotguns at www.frontsight.com

Randy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464665.JPG (65.7 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-29-2020 at 1:31 PM..
Old 03-29-2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
It's probably .062. or maybe .093.

The Browncoat Tactical cards are tight for a reason. It's so you shells down't drop out the bottom while firing the gun. Also you'll load them up from the bottom and when doing Select Slug Drills you need to hang the front one way down and grab it with you thumb and ring finger which will allow transition to the four finger hold much faster.

You'll run your Magpul stock with no spacers 12 1/2" LOP. this will help you square up to the target and get down on eh stock more. YOU HAVE GOT TO HAVE YOUR CHEEK ON THE GUN OR YOU WILL GET SLAPPED,,,, and that hurts!

Can the knob on the sight be transferred to the right side?

This is all stuff you will learn in the classes. But your gun is coming along nicely, and not having to fight with it will help you alot.

One thing that will help alot is to learn how to hold the shells. see pic. 90% of your gun handling involves handling the shells. Get this down and you'll be golden. Also buy one of the Dry Practice Training Manuals for shotguns at www.frontsight.com

Randy.

I’ve been practicing and hold the shells just like that but load them from over the top, not from under which is easier for me, which is why I have them with the brass up in the shell carrier. I remove the shell, index it exactly the way you have it in the picture (except the shell is flipped 180 degrees), reach over and insert the shell.

I picked up the shotgun dry fire manual when I was at FS for my handgun class a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately that knob/set screw can’t be relocated to the other side.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-29-2020 at 2:00 PM..
Old 03-30-2020, 11:57 AM

Scott: you need to get used to running under the gun as you can't load the magazine the way you do it form over the top.

You port load by tilting the gun to your right.

You also load the magazine by using the same hold on the shell. Like I said you can't load the magazine over the top, so you might as well learn how to do it right so you only have one technique to master.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464667.jpg (39.5 KB, 48 views)

Old 03-30-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Scott: you need to get used to running under the gun as you can't load the magazine the way you do it form over the top.

You port load by tilting the gun to your right.

You also load the magazine by using the same hold on the shell. Like I said you can't load the magazine over the top, so you might as well learn how to do it right so you only have one technique to master.

Randy
Good points, and I realized this practicing note in the last purple days. I was watching a tactical shotgun class on YouTube and the instructor and people in the class did seem to prefer loading from over the top, but as you noted it does make it less efficient having the shells in the shot card with the brass up when loading the magazine.

Guess Iíll start practicing the other way.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-30-2020, 3:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When you going to FS, OP? I was planning to go next month for a handgun glass but chose to postpone due to whatís going on.

Sent from free America
Old 03-30-2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
When you going to FS, OP? I was planning to go next month for a handgun glass but chose to postpone due to whatís going on.

Sent from free America
I probably wonít be able to get down there until the fall now. I took the handgun class recently and it was awesome.