Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 10-24-2020, 8:43 PM

Default Dirks/Daggers, backpacks and vehicles

I've read the sticky but still curious what everyone thinks. What about mounting a sheathed 4-6"+ knife to the outside of a backpack via MOLLE or tying? What about carrying a 18" bladed machete on the outside of a backpack?

Considering because of mounting a 4" dirk/dagger to the outside of an EDC pack that will be transported in a vehicle mostly, only actually worn when on daily hikes and walks.

Also have my camping rucksack that has my shelter, cooking, water and food that I would like to mount a 7" dirk/dagger sheath to as well as a 18" machete which would either be at home or in a vehicle on the way to or from a camping/hiking trip.

I understand you can't have dirks/daggers concealed on your person including backpacks and that concealed in your backpack in your vehicle is not illegal but for the overall transition of from home, to vehicle, on walks, or on trips they're all generally considered legal to open carry.

My compromise is probably to just get a larger folder for the EDC pack, very unlikely Ill have any encounters with the rucksack situation.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstrider View Post
I've read the sticky but still curious what everyone thinks. What about mounting a sheathed 4-6"+ knife to the outside of a backpack via MOLLE or tying? What about carrying a 18" bladed machete on the outside of a backpack?

Considering because of mounting a 4" dirk/dagger to the outside of an EDC pack that will be transported in a vehicle mostly, only actually worn when on daily hikes and walks.

Also have my camping rucksack that has my shelter, cooking, water and food that I would like to mount a 7" dirk/dagger sheath to as well as a 18" machete which would either be at home or in a vehicle on the way to or from a camping/hiking trip.

I understand you can't have dirks/daggers concealed on your person including backpacks and that concealed in your backpack in your vehicle is not illegal but for the overall transition of from home, to vehicle, on walks, or on trips they're all generally considered legal to open carry.

My compromise is probably to just get a larger folder for the EDC pack, very unlikely Ill have any encounters with the rucksack situation.
Sigh. This is California, also depends on where you live in the state. Extremely highly regulated depending on city, county, etc. I'm mostly comfortable carrying a at limit 3" length folder, my XM-18. Bug out mini to down scale, under 2.5" depending on that or nothing at all.

Depends on where you are hiking, camping, etc. but my personal choice would be to carry no dirks/daggers over 1.99" in blade length in urban parts of CA. YMMV.
Old 11-06-2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstrider View Post

Why do you want to carry a dirk/dagger on your pack while hiking instead of a typical "hunting" knife? Just curious
Old 11-12-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
Why do you want to carry a dirk/dagger on your pack while hiking instead of a typical "hunting" knife? Just curious
In terms of CA law, "dirk/dagger" = ANY fixed blade knife. Many if not most "hunting knives" are fixed, rather than folding. Further, the under 2" idea is a red herring in this context. The only time that comes into play is when dealing with legal vs. illegal automatics.

To answer your question, the CA penal code actually says openly "suspended from the waist." If law enforcement wanted to nail you for carrying a large, fixed blade knife strapped to your ruck while hiking, they could. Just conceal it in your ruck. They'd never have any reason to search you.

Last edited by SLOSA Rimfire; 01-29-2021 at 9:58 AM..