Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-14-2021, 3:52 PM

Default 1301 Comp first impressions

First thought? WHY did I wait so long for this. A week ago I picked up a 1301 Comp, with 21" barrel. I initially wanted the tactical, but I actually like this one better, and am very happy with my choice, especially since the tactical is nowhere to be found. Plus, I plan on some shotgun classes, and I can say "mine's longer" . I don't see the 2.5" of additional barrel length as an issue. I plan on adding a mag tube extension, and various parts for 922r compliance......after bird seasons are all over. Also, KE Arms makes an adapter for the Aimpoint Micro footprint, which is the same as a Sig Romeo 5, and others.
I was worried the 21" barrel would be a hindrance, it is not. We went last weekend for some dove and I got plenty.
Due to work schedule I didn't have a chance to do anything to the gun before shooting, and all I had was some cheap Fiocchi birdshot, (1200fps) so I was skeptical, at best...... It ran like a champ. No FTF, FTE, No stovepipes, nothing........... just shooting. I am impressed. If you are on the fence with the 1301, I say go for it. What a great gun. If there is a downside it's the chokes, it ships with only an IC.
Old 09-14-2021, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Heard the recoil is a literal pain with those. True?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Heard the recoil is a literal pain with those. True?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did not feel that way at all. But I shoot an 870 a lot, and my Weatherby SA-08, which will ONLY run on hotter shells, both of them "kick" much more. I haven't ran buckshot or slugs, so those may be different. Either way I'm sure they are no worse than either gun mentioned, and definitely not worse than my KS7, which doesn't bother me.
Old 09-14-2021, 7:18 PM

I’ve seen these available . Had a regular 1301 in my cart but bailed because of a huge bill that arrived. My question is Tactical vs Comp. seems the biggest difference is sights and the comp has chokes.

Would you feel comfortable using the comp in a tactical class?
Old 09-14-2021, 8:18 PM

@joyfuljoker

The new 1301 tactical can accept chokes too
Old 09-15-2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulJoker View Post
I’ve seen these available . Had a regular 1301 in my cart but bailed because of a huge bill that arrived. My question is Tactical vs Comp. seems the biggest difference is sights and the comp has chokes.

The 21" barrel may be a slight disadvantage to some? For me I don't think it's an issue, and I would definitely feel comfortable with it in a class. The Tactical uses chokes now (gen 2 I believe). I am comfortable with beads, and have taken deer out to about 150 yards, with just a bead so the ghost rings are not that big of an issue to me, plus I am putting a dot on it. I also like the aesthetics of the short barrel vent rib.
Old 09-15-2021, 7:32 AM

Quote:
My question is Tactical vs Comp. seems the biggest difference is sights and the comp has chokes.

They're really two different guns. The barrels are not compatible with each other because the receivers are different lengths. The Comp receiver is roughly .5" longer which translates to longer bolt travel, larger loading and ejection ports. Accessories like receiver mounted rails and sight adapters aren't compatible due to different mounting hole spacing.

If you want the most compact semi-auto possible, the only question in my mind is choosing between the Gen 2 Tactical is civilian with threaded choke or LE model with fixed choke.

If you want an all-purpose semi-auto, then the Comp in 21" is quite a nice compromise. I personally went with a 24" Comp for 3gun and clays, relegating home defense duty to the AR.

Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 09-15-2021 at 7:35 AM..
Old 09-15-2021, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Not familiar with them, are additional barrels available. Seems having a 18.5 and a 21/24 would be the best of both worlds.
Old 09-15-2021, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Not familiar with them, are additional barrels available. Seems having a 18.5 and a 21/24 would be the best of both worlds.
Yes.....but they run about 550 ish............
Old 09-16-2021, 1:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJohn View Post
Yes.....but they run about 550 ish............
Ouch!
Old 09-22-2021, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks . That’s what I’m thinking.
Old 09-22-2021, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks . That’s what I’m thinking.
Again, you might want to confirm 18.5 and 21/24 barrels are interchangeable due to different length receivers.
Old 09-24-2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
Again, you might want to confirm 18.5 and 21/24 barrels are interchangeable due to different length receivers.
The comp runs a 3 1/2” receiver vs the tactical with a 3”. Larger port for speed loading is the reasoning behind it. Unless both barrels are for a 3 1/2” your going to have an expensive paperweight, on the plus side it can hold down quite a bit of paper.

Old 11-14-2021, 8:11 AM

Late thanks for all the replies. Been looking for a comp local in black. The only one that comes up is FDE. Trying to avoid extra fees like shipping etc.
The Benelli Nova Speed pump looks excellent but it’s release date is way behind. It’s also best to avoid 1st Gen anything as there are usually some kinks to work out .
Old 11-14-2021, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Late thanks for all the replies. Been looking for a comp local in black. The only one that comes up is FDE. Trying to avoid extra fees like shipping etc.
The Benelli Nova Speed pump looks excellent but it’s release date is way behind. It’s also best to avoid 1st Gen anything as there are usually some kinks to work out .
Try Armslist. It should be no problem shipping them into CA.