Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-11-2019, 8:20 AM

Default Should I buy a .357 revolver?

I know, I know -- the Calguns answer is yes. But since I don't have an infinite amount of money, I need to consider the cost/benefit given my situation.

I've come to firearms and shooting relatively late in life (mid-40's), and so far I've been running only semi-autos, the G17 being my first firearm. Since then I've collected a number of other pieces in 9mm (HK USP9c, M&P Shield), as well as venturing into .45ACP (so far three 1911s, an HK USP Expert, a CZ 97B, and an XD45). I love them all, and manage to operate the .45s reasonably well with my size-challenged hands.

My recent injury on the right elbow ("tennis/shooter's elbow") -- it's healing slowly (and I hope eventually fully) -- got me thinking, will I be able to operate my firearms if my right hand is too weak? What about old age?

So here are my current points and counterpoints. I'd love to hear your opinions. Cheers!

Pros:

(1) A revolver may be easier to get started if I need to train to switch to left-handed shooting.

(2) Eventually I will get old and I might not be able to operate semi-autos, so I should get started training on the revolver now.

Cons / difficulties:

(1) I've already stocked up on 9mm and .45ACP to last for quite some time. Having another caliber means more expenditure for ammo that's not usable for my other guns.

(2) I could look for a 9mm revolver, but the ones on the current roster are either too small (snubnose) or too big (say S&W 929). I am more inclined to get something with at least 3" preferably 4", but not the huge 929 [though it'd be nice to have anyway if I can shell out the money].
Old 09-11-2019, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

A 4" stainless quality 357 mag SA/DA revolver may be the most useful handgun ever. Shoot 38 or 357 through it, powder-puff to full-house loads, even mix them up.

As simple and reliable as gravity. With good grips, it is a pleasure to shoot, not too large to handle. I suggest a S&W 686.

An excellent caliber to reload, a lee turret press setup will pay for itself.

Last edited by God Bless America; 09-11-2019 at 9:05 AM..
Old 09-11-2019, 9:03 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Yes.
Old 09-11-2019, 9:23 AM
Calguns Addict

It's great you're thinking ahead about the possibilities but you might also might want to think about some modern revolvers in 38 special , that can handle the +P 38 special round.
Of course they're not as powerful as the .357 magnum but just like 9 mm has gained so much popularity, due to advancements in modern bullet design/hollowpoint designs , a good defensive 38 special plus P hollow point round is nothing to dismiss, especially if it's coming out of a relatively shorter barrel , like the 2 or 3 inch , where the 357 magnum would gain a lot more velocity out of a longer barrel.

It will be cheaper than the 357 both the revolver and ammo pricing.

And if you're thinking about This will be your possible defense gun as you enter into your golden years the 38 special might be more suited then Loading it with 357 magnums, both at the range and in an emergency situation.

Just my $.2 cents and that allows you to try out a revolver that won't cost as much as a 357 magnum because revolvers might not be your thing at all. ...

Then you can think about the tip of the barrel that is used on some Beretta semi-auto pistols that allow you to load the gun without racking a slide.
Old 09-11-2019, 9:24 AM

Look for a Ruger Speed Six or a Security Six in 4 or 6 in . They are a Solid and Beautiful piece . They will last well past your lifetime . I gave mine to my Daughter and She absolutely loves it .
Old 09-11-2019, 9:27 AM
Multi-Tool
CGN Contributor

Rent one and see how you like it.

686/586 4"

Yes, the answer is to get one.

Sell your least favorite semi if needed.
Old 09-11-2019, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

If age and strength are a concern, consider a lightweight .357 revolver. My father has several of his service revolvers, but they are heavy. He keeps his small detective revolver in the car and now has a Walter PPK .22 in the house along with his heavier revolvers and a shotgun. He is still capable of shooting these firearms, but his logic was that a light handgun would be easier to hold if he ever needed to detain someone. It could be unfortunate if the shaking associated with tendinitis was confused with shaking due to fear.

Another option would be a G19 with a lightweight slide. You can also get some very lightweight copper polymer (NovX) ammo that makes for a very lightweight package.

FYI, according to the Journal of the AMA elbow tendinitis usually goes away if you stop fapping or switch hands.
Old 09-11-2019, 9:44 AM

Yes you NEED one, my vote is for ruger gp100 match champion.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

YES!!!

Fondle then all but I’d suggest a Ruger GP100 - and if you’re feeling spendy the GP100 Match Champion is pretty sweet!

A 3” SP101 is a good gun too, in case you think you want something small, but lighting off .357’s in anything smaller is an experience that most choose not to do with regularity.

Last edited by plumbum; 09-11-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM

If you don't have a revolver and you want to get one I highly recommend getting a S&W. I personally like the 686+ 7 shot snubby or my favorite, the Performance Center 627 8 shot 4".
Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

I suggest the OP heal up first and reassess the 357 decision. Unless the want overcomes the need for another handgun. I suggest a used 38 spl. Something with a full length ejector rod. I've seen a lot of old revolvers in the glass cases lately. Mostly worn finish and very mechanically tight S&W.

*For ambi one handed reloads I prefer a thumb push to release the cylinder instead of a pull (ah la Colt). It's just easier for me.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ruger GP100
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM

+1 on the 4" suggestion. .357 revolvers rock!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:58 AM

My answer is, "yes!" Everyone should have at least one revolver and I love shooting my GP100. If cost is an issue you could always sell one of your 1911s.

It isn't beyond the imagination that CA will, at some point, try to ban semi-auto pistols so after your boating accident at least you will have the revolver to protect yourself.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

#4 vote for GP100.

In the 70's, I cut my teeth on a Colt Trooper, then went over to a S&W 19, then a S&W 66. I'll take the GP100 over any one of them any day.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Range Safety Officer - South Bay Rod and Gun Club www.sbrgc.org
Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 AM

If you appreciate firearms in all its shapes and sizes, a revolver should be in your collection. A 586/686 would be one of my recommendations. Another pro to a 357 revolver is the ability to use 38 special when age/injury makes it difficult to run 357s.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

My first handgun when I was 18 was a 1968 Colt .357 Trooper - last year before they went to the III which wasn't as finely machined or polished before bluing. Still have it. Buy a Colt or Smith. Rugers are ok but don't look as good due to being bulkier due to being cast rather than fully machined. Smith has the best out of the box trigger.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 PM

I'm not a big revolver guy, but they are very elegant weapons. I love the sound and feel of cocking back the hammer. I only have four .357 magnums, a Ruger SP101 DAO, Ruger Security Six, Ruger Blackhawk, and a S&W 19-3. They have all been great, and are each a unique experience. The SP101, is perhaps my best training tool. I figure if I can master that gun, I can master any hangun. Plus you can test you and your friends' manliness with full house loads.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Yes! Donít go too light on the piece, however, as the recoils on a light weight wheel gun of any reasonable caliber is punishing to say the least. The 586/686 7 round S&Ws are nice. Performance Center versions even better. The Rugers are not as nice, IMO, as the finer of the S&W and Colt offerings, from a precision point of view, however, theyíre more than quality and will outshout you, as well as likely being the sturdiest of the bunch. And donít forget, the S&W 625. Itís a 45 loaded on moon clips. It cuts down your need for a new Ammo selection, and while being a completely different round profile, itís an awesome fun, youíre likely (funds withstanding) to enjoy having later. Less snappy than a 357 as well. Finally, anybody telling you to purchase a 38 with +P dynamics is leading you astray. Youíre certainly reasonable in assuming that 38s will be your mainstay, but to not have the added capabilities of a 357 in order to save $50 or $100 short term is not wise, IMNHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Yes! Donít go too light on the piece, however, as the recoils on a light weight wheel gun of any reasonable caliber is punishing to say the least. The 586/686 7 round S&Ws are nice. Performance Center versions even better. The Rugers are not as nice, IMO, as the finer of the S&W and Colt offerings, from a precision point of view, however, theyíre more than quality and will outshout you, as well as likely being the sturdiest of the bunch. And donít forget, the S&W 625. Itís a 45 loaded on moon clips. It cuts down your need for a new Ammo selection, and while being a completely different round profile, itís an awesome fun, youíre likely (funds withstanding) to enjoy having later. Less snappy than a 357 as well. Finally, anybody telling you to purchase a 38 with +P dynamics is leading you astray. Youíre certainly reasonable in assuming that 38s will be your mainstay, but to not have the added capabilities of a 357 in order to save $50 or $100 short term is not wise, IMNHO.

My GP100 with a 4" barrel is a joy to fire in .357. In fact, shooting .38 Special takes a lot of the fun out of it. And I am not a large person. My son has the S&W M&P-R8 with an alloy frame and you do notice the difference in recoil between the two.
Old 09-11-2019, 1:13 PM

You express a valid personal concern over limiting the amount of calibers you want to own and shoot.
In making your decision, I feel you are excluding a firearm type that I would almost personal guarantee that once you shoot one you will fall in love - the lever action rifle in .38/.357. Now, you would have a rifle and a pistol to take with you shooting all the while firing the same ammo.
Old 09-11-2019, 1:15 PM

gp 100 4 inch stainless. as others said ,38s thru this gun are just plain fun for both the wife and myself. im definately not saying dont get any others as i have over a dozen so far. but get the gp first.
Old 09-11-2019, 1:16 PM

yes yes yes

its absolutely worth it
Old 09-11-2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den60 View Post
My GP100 with a 4" barrel is a joy to fire in .357. In fact, shooting .38 Special takes a lot of the fun out of it. And I am not a large person. My son has the S&W M&P-R8 with an alloy frame and you do notice the difference in recoil between the two.
my lcrx 3" is very snappy with .38 special standard loads
I was thinking the .357 mag version of the LCR (mine is .38 only) would be a bit nicer because of the weight (it is made of stainless vs alum, several ounces). My brother's .41 mag smith is a 6" beast and that thing has a very pleasant kick to it compared to my LCR.
Old 09-11-2019, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

a few different nice revolvers out there in .357

your biggest decision will probably be what barrel length you're most comfortable with

i have 2 GP100's in 3" and 1 in 4" - probably wouldn't go much longer than that if you're concerned about weight

I! hate! you! FalconLair.
I like that part of America where if you put mayonnaise on potatoes it becomes a salad
Old 09-11-2019, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

.357 with barrel of 4" or more, .38spl if barrel is less than 4". Any extra power the .357 has over the .38 is wasted in a barrel less than 4".
Old 09-11-2019, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Should I buy a .357 revolver?

Yes.

Old 09-11-2019, 2:08 PM

Let me check....

Old 09-11-2019, 2:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Absolutely

"When once our feet have touched this soil, when once we have made this land our home, wherever our place of birth, whatever our race, we are all blended in one common country. All artificial distinctions of lineage and rank are cast aside. We all rejoice in the title of Americans."
-Former President Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-11-2019, 2:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

NO!

Old 09-11-2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den60 View Post

I love the Ruger. Please donít misunderstand. I think the tolerances and accuracy is a hair better with the Colt and Smiths generally, but cannot outshoot the gun myself. Overall, I find the Ruger to be the heartiest of them though. All of this is a generalization. By no means, is it scientifically verified by me. My R8 is my favorite of all, since you mentioned it, outside of earlier issue Pythons.

Old 09-11-2019, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

A family member ditched his autos and got an LCR when he was having issues pulling slides. He tried my LCR and liked it. I think he's happy with it.

I'd say if you are at the point where you need to try something else for sure, yes. Other wise NO. You don't have to collect revolvers just because other people like to have two or ten of everything. Just like 1911's. Everyone really doesn't need one to be American, hahah. If you are happy with your autos now. I do recommend a 9mm revolver, but the .38's and .357's are good too. If you end up with a revolver and it just sits in the safe, either you are the type of person who loves it because you know it is sitting there... or you hate it because you'd rather shoot other guns and it is money sitting there wasted.
Old 09-11-2019, 2:50 PM

I would say yes.
Take a look at the S&W 66 combat magnum 2.75" Bbl.
Very pleasant to shoot and one of my favorites.
Old 09-11-2019, 3:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"...relatively late in life..." ????? Mid-40's???

Suddenly I feel really old.

Model 19 S&W, 4 inch.
Old 09-11-2019, 3:13 PM

You need at least one.
Two is better then one.
Old 09-11-2019, 3:16 PM

Get a C&R and COE. Get a Smith and Wesson C&R 357 (pre-28 Highway Patrolman, early 27, etc) and order ammo online.
Old 09-11-2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruecheese View Post
my lcrx 3" is very snappy with .38 special standard loads
I was thinking the .357 mag version of the LCR (mine is .38 only) would be a bit nicer because of the weight (it is made of stainless vs alum, several ounces). My brother's .41 mag smith is a 6" beast and that thing has a very pleasant kick to it compared to my LCR.
Hell, the GP100 is why Superman ducked when a gun thrown at him after having stopped all of the bullets from it. It's heavy but just feels good in the hand.
Old 09-11-2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I love the Ruger. Please donít misunderstand. I think the tolerances and accuracy is a hair better with the Colt and Smiths generally, but cannot outshoot the gun myself. Overall, I find the Ruger to be the heartiest of them though. All of this is a generalization. By no means, is it scientifically verified by me. My R8 is my favorite of all, since you mentioned it, outside of earlier issue Pythons.

I wasn't questioning you about your feelings for the GP100, just agreeing with you about the low recoil in comparison with lighter revolvers.

I have been thinking about getting the Redhawk in .357 with the 5.5" barrel. I really think I "need" another revolver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal77 View Post
Absolutely

You need a bigger rug.
I need a LIFE!!

<should i buy>

Der.