Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Choice in Factory 338 Lapua Rifles

I have asked before about a 338 Lapua rifle, but with plans on moving to a place where I am better able to let the thing stretch its legs, I am revisiting choice in rifles. And besides, I just want it. Rifle will be use in non-competition environment, hitting steel or reactive targets at 1000+ yards. Fired off bench and possibly prone w/bipod or heavy rest. Manageable recoil and muzzle blast would be nice (yes, I know it IS a 338 Lapua, and I have shot one). Budget is < $3,000 for rifle (optics not included). I would like comments on the rifles below for the usage I stated. If others come to mind, please advise. I have not included the $4,000 Sako TRG-42, but if persuaded it is worth the coin, I will consider. I will also consider used rifles of any brand.

https://www.sako.fi/en-us/rifles/sak...rg-42#overview

Ruger RPR
https://www.ruger.com/products/preci...ets/18080.html
$2,099
It is heavy at 15.2 lbs, a GOOD thing for me given its use and reduction in recoil. Wish the stock was a MagPul PRS.

Model 700 Tactical Chassis
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...ctical-chassis
$2600+
Heavyish (a good thing). Do not need long rail. Is 700 action up to 338 Lapua? Some smiths will not chamber that round with a 700.

Savage 110FCP HS Precision
https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=19481
$1759
Lightest of the three. Proprietary mags. Must get a check rest as stock too low for scope. May benefit from bedding. Those improvements put it on par with the Ruger in cost.

At present, the Ruger RPR and Remington look appealing. The Ruger is heavy, reducing recoil. I do wonder about the use of a Remington 700 action with the 338 Lapua, unless Remington beefed it up. I know some smiths will not chamber a 338 Lapua on a Remington 700.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

In a factory sized action I would only consider a single shot like the Savage Magnum Target.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the RPR just takes AR stocks so you might be able to put a Magpul PRS on it.

For your stated purposes, you might also consider a .300 PRC. With 225 gr factory ammo, it still has plenty of thwack. Similar ballistic curves as the Lapua, some military units are buying it, probably recoils less, and the ammo in general is going to be cheaper.
Old 09-11-2019, 1:24 PM

I have the RPR, I'm satisfied with it. Have only shot out to 600 so far, but it's accurate and consistent. Recoil is light for the caliber, blast is as expected.
Old 09-11-2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I think the RPR just takes AR stocks so you might be able to put a Magpul PRS on it.

For your stated purposes, you might also consider a .300 PRC. With 225 gr factory ammo, it still has plenty of thwack. Similar ballistic curves as the Lapua, some military units are buying it, probably recoils less, and the ammo in general is going to be cheaper.
Yes, agreed. The 300 PRC is a strong logical alternative to the 338 Lapua. I knew little about it, but checked it out after your reply and it indeed is a well thought out and strong performer. Your specific facts also make that clear. So why am I resistant to the 300, when for my usage, the 300 (and some others) would be plenty capable?

In all honesty, it is because I just want the 338 Lapua. No logic to it. I don't "need" it. Just an emotional desire for the 338. Strictly my "want" speaking. It is what will give me some happiness, even if it rattles my skull, punches me in the shoulder, irritates those next to me, and cost $2 a shot with reloaded ammo.

Just like people who buy a fast, hard riding, cramped, hard to see out of sports car (or anything) that far exceeds their needs, we buy it anyway because it is an emotional itch that needs scratching, that gives us joy. I am also older, and before I get too old to shoot, I want to have spent part of my life with a 338.
Old 09-11-2019, 2:55 PM

If you really want a 338 I’d save another 1000 for a sako. If you’re dead set on staying under 3 grand I’d get the 700, then a weatherby mark V, then the ruger. I’d avoid the savage for the reasons listed in the op.
Old 09-11-2019, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

You might consider building a gun off of a Remington action so you start off with the stock you want and a good throat with the right twist rate in the barrel.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 09-11-2019, 3:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish45 View Post
If you really want a 338 I’d save another 1000 for a sako. If you’re dead set on staying under 3 grand I’d get the 700, then a weatherby mark V, then the ruger. I’d avoid the savage for the reasons listed in the op.
Agreed. I have a TRG-42 in .300WM, but it was so great that I also bought a TRG-22. I think if you get a slightly used TRG-42 in .338 you can get close to your $3K mark. Prices have gone up considerably though... I got mine 10 years ago for $2600.

Oh yeah, where in CA are you? Ryenex in Chino Hills has a TRG-42 in .338LM on consignment. But I don't remember what the asking price was.

If your heart is on the TRG-42. Save up and get it. It's worth the price of admission in my opinion.
Old 09-11-2019, 3:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I guess I'm in the minority, not liking the Savage and Ruger factory triggers which use the blade insert. They're OK. Probably easy to manufacture. But OK or even a tad better than OK isn't all that good when shooting +500 yds. They can be adjusted only so much. I get it that they're mostly creep free but IIRC not for over travel. They're the Toyota Camry of triggers. Good, don't do anything bad but don't really do anything great.
Old 09-11-2019, 4:23 PM

In case you hadn’t seen it...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...cord-on-video/

Not a recommendation, just an FYI

-Rick
Old 09-12-2019, 3:40 AM

before you buy a factory 338 id suggest you look into putting one together...

stiller action $1270
barrel and smith $700ish
trigger $200ish-$300ish if you want a nice 2 stage
MPA chassis $925-$1075 if you want a folder

so some where between $3025-$3275 here and up to about $4000 if you want to go all out.

if your set on a factory gun then personally id talk to randall and or billygoat about the remington and go from there.
Old 09-15-2019, 5:08 PM

Phil3 - my personal experience with the Savage you mentioned in the OP - TERRIBLE brake and TERRIBLE trigger. Turned up with a rolled up towel to cushion the recoil and quite literally gave away that rifle because of the trigger (unsafe). Most frustrating rifle I have ever owned.

As Lynn suggested, consider a "custom build" - whether it is using a trued Rem 700 or one of the many excellent custom actions - yes, that could be $1000-$1200 over your max $3000 budget but at that point you'd have an excellent, no-compromises, well-smithed, well-integrated shooter. After that its up to you. BTW, while the rifle and scope are the heavy hitters in re cost, you'll find that you will turn up adding a bunch of cost for reloading gear and "consumables". Been there, done that, be prepared...and enjoy shooting.
ELR - anything shorter is point blank.

Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA), Webmaster and Marketing Assistant
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 09-15-2019, 5:42 PM

Shop around, and check gun broker. You should be able to pick one up for about $1600. I’m after the RPR in .338 myself. I was completely sold after handling one in a local shop, and reading the review in Shooting mag a few months ago. IMHO, it’s the Best Buy for a LDR.
Old 09-15-2019, 6:25 PM

Awsm or axmc
Old 09-15-2019, 6:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
I want a 338 Lapua rifle
Budget is < $3,000 for rifle (optics not included).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552 View Post
Awsm or axmc
LOL.
Old 09-15-2019, 6:34 PM

Did I mention reading comprehension isn't one of my strong suits? :-)

In my defense, he did have the awsm as his avatar

Sent from my LG-AS993 using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Or a few more pesos for an AI
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830187484

Used
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/831954746

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 09-15-2019, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
Phil3 - my personal experience with the Savage you mentioned in the OP - TERRIBLE brake and TERRIBLE trigger. Turned up with a rolled up towel to cushion the recoil and quite literally gave away that rifle because of the trigger (unsafe). Most frustrating rifle I have ever owned.

As Lynn suggested, consider a "custom build" - whether it is using a trued Rem 700 or one of the many excellent custom actions - yes, that could be $1000-$1200 over your max $3000 budget but at that point you'd have an excellent, no-compromises, well-smithed, well-integrated shooter. After that its up to you. BTW, while the rifle and scope are the heavy hitters in re cost, you'll find that you will turn up adding a bunch of cost for reloading gear and "consumables". Been there, done that, be prepared...and enjoy shooting.
What was unsafe about the trigger? A friend of mine has a Savage .338 Lap and he really likes it.
Old 09-15-2019, 8:02 PM

A stock Savage 338lm action/bbl just set a record for 3 consecutive hits at 2k meters from cold bore.