Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-11-2019, 9:32 AM

Default Home Built AR15: What might I get? (not an add, not selling from this post.)

"THIS IS NOT A SALE. I AM JUST INQUIRING ABOUT WHAT I MIGHT GET IF I SOLD IT. ONCE I HAVE SOME IDEA ABOUT PRICE I WILL POST IN THE FOR SALE SECTION, I WILL NOT SELL FROM THIS POST"

I built a Featureless 20" AR15 a few years ago and I'm thinking about selling it. I was wondering what I might get for it, what I should ask, etc.

It's an AR15 SPR (yes, I selected specific parts and built it special purpose for long range bench shooting, your not clearing rooms or hunting in the mountains with this 10lbs thing) and it's a combination of quality parts and budget parts, the quality parts being used where it counts for accuracy, comfort, reliability, etc.

Total with no scope I paid about $1200 for parts and since it was my second build I would say I put in a good 8-10 hours building. It's a tack driver and shoots 1 MOA or better no problem with the right ammo.

How much should I ask and how much do you all think I could get? (without the scope setup but including the bipod.)

Here is the breakdown of parts and cost.....

Upper:
Mega Arms SBU Billet Upper Receiver - $125
Green Mountain 20” Fluted .223 Wylde (1:8 twist) - $210
Wilson Combat BCG - $100
MFT TEKKO 15” Keymod Rail - $225
MAS G2 Tactical Charging Handle - $25
Leapers UTG Recon Flex KeyMod Bipod - $40
(Don’t recall what the gas block, gas tube or muzzle brake are, just general Mil-spec'ish parts)

Lower:
Geissele SSA Trigger - $240
Thordsen FRS-15 Stock kit - $90
PSA Buffer Tube Assembly - $40
PSA LPK - $30
Anderson Manufacturing Lower Receiver - $60
Extended Magazine release - $20
Yankee Hill EZ Pull Takedown Pins - $20

Total I spent around $1200 just on parts (not including tax, shipping, tools, etc.). How much do you think I can sell this AR15 for? (no scope or rings, no magazine.)

For reference, here is cost for the scope and other accessories.
SWFA SS 12x42 Tactical 30mm Scope (MilDot reticle) - $300
Scope Mounted Ring sights - $90 (I forget what they are called, it's like 2 side scope mounted peep/ring sights.)
Vortex Scope Caps - $16
Aero Precision Scope Mount - $100
Magpul Keymod QD Sling Mount - $20

"THIS IS NOT A SALE. I AM JUST INQUIRING ABOUT WHAT I MIGHT GET IF I SOLD IT"

Also, what do you think? Not bad for only #2, right? My first build was nice also. Its a 5.4lbs light weight that is also a great rifle. I love Lego's, lol.

I don't really want to sell it I just need some cash. If I end up getting through a few month without NEEDing to sell I might not. its so much fun to shoot. its like, at 100 yards with the 12X42 scope you can miss, you can shoot quarters.
Old 09-11-2019, 9:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

market is down for AR15 builds so it might sit for a while.

you also didn't mention how many rounds through the gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 09-11-2019, 9:58 AM

500-600?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiFORNIA View Post
500-600?
Yep
Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Just keep it a while longer. After gavin has his way, it'll be worth a small fortune!

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
(Non caps intended)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did you apply for registration prior to 7/1/2018? If not and nor serialized and engraved prior to that no sale .
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Did you apply for registration prior to 7/1/2018? If not and nor serialized and engraved prior to that no sale .
I would advise answering that question to yourself OP and not the forum.

Last edited by tehDiceman; 09-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Not a lawyer
Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
It looks featureless to me.

The OP wrote it was an Anderson lower, so it has serial #'s.

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
(Non caps intended)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiFORNIA View Post
500-600?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Yep
Consider parting it out instead. You might get a little bit more.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Oh OK I mistook homebuilt for 80% and why would I keep that to myself diceman. I do not sell 80% ers do you?
Old 09-11-2019, 2:03 PM

Just keep it, you won't get anywhere near what you put into it. You might find a buyer for around $500 or so and it would probably take a while. And it might turn to gold in a year or so if California and the Democrats get their way
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 09-11-2019, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

You'd make more by parting it out.
But keep the receiver.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 09-11-2019, 2:41 PM

Probably less than 300 rounds. I haven't shot it much. Just to know its better than me and lots of fun. I shoot my carbine mostly since that 20" barrel is pretty boring at indoor ranges, lol. Lots of rounds through my carbine.

And Ya, its serialized factory lower, not an 80%. Can't sell those legally and I wouldn't sell a firearm illegally. Everything is legit with this rifle as far as I can tell (with California laws no one ever really knows for sure, not even the police, not even the DOJ).

Parting it out? I'll think about that. Longer to sell but better return.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Think I need to shoot it more. Maybe keep it for my son for when the only way to get a gun is through the father-son law.
Old 09-11-2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Oh OK I mistook homebuilt for 80% and why would I keep that to myself diceman. I do not sell 80% ers do you?
If he(not you) didn't follow the 80% lower laws regarding serial numbers by the specified date, he would be committing a crime. I'm merely suggesting that he not post any potential incriminating information on the internet. Prudent yes?

Since this lower isn't an 80%, my statement no longer applies as it already had a serial from the manufacturer.

I do not own any 80% lowers, so no, I don't sell them.
Old 09-12-2019, 7:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle ronin View Post
Just keep it a while longer. After gavin has his way, it'll be worth a small fortune!
Yep. Who knows how much he will offer to "buy it back"?
Old 09-12-2019, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
You'd make more by parting it out.
But keep the receiver.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-12-2019, 8:10 AM

$500
Old 09-12-2019, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerMichael View Post
Total I spent around $1200 just on parts (not including tax, shipping, tools, etc.).
How much do you think I can sell this AR15 for? (no scope or rings, no magazine.)
What you spent does not matter to the buyer but I bet it REALLY matters to you based on how many times you mention it.
I think you might be hard pressed to get $600 for that rfle.
$500 is probably more realistic.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Yep. Who knows how much he will offer to "buy it back"?
Or how much someone would pay to pre- grandfather it before the complete ban.

(Non caps intended)
Old 09-12-2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
What you spent does not matter to the buyer but I bet it REALLY matters to you based on how many times you mention it.
I think you might be hard pressed to get $600 for that rfle.
$500 is probably more realistic.
I disagree with you, if I spent more money on more expensive parts and, say, bought all Colt parts, the amount I spent would mean more to prospective buyers. And yes, obviously how much I spent on something matters to me and will dictate how much I would like to sell it for, $1200 ain't nothing.

But I understand how supply and demand works, it's all about perceived value and home built AR15s are like the secondary to the secondary market sometimes. Home builds rifles usually don't have a lot of demand but Home Built AR15s are in vast supply because most people can "build" them (its really more like assembling).

Maybe I should have prefaced with "I am experienced buying and selling firearms and am wondering how the Homebuild AR market is at the moment". Seams like its a buyers market right now.

Might I say, this rifle would be a steal at $500 regardless of how much the parts cost.
Old 09-12-2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Probably less than 300 rounds. I haven't shot it much. Just to know its better than me and lots of fun. I shoot my carbine mostly since that 20" barrel is pretty boring at indoor ranges, lol. Lots of rounds through my carbine.
I'm curious, where is there an indoor rifle range in the Bay Area?

...and while you may have put $1200 into that rifle, none of us know you so we'd definitely not offer close to what you spent on it (I know, I know, you claim it is a "tackdriver" etc).

Look at it this way. Sombody wants to sell a used commercial rifle that originally cost $1200 - do you think it's still worth $1200?I

Maybe you have a friend who knows you and your rifles, probably get more from him/her.
Old 09-12-2019, 6:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Might I say, this rifle would be a steal at $500 regardless of how much the parts cost.
You can say whatever you want, but that does not make it true.
If you want to know what it's worth, post it on gunbroker with a 99cent starting bid and the market will run it up to the true market value.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:04 PM

As long as your parts are not obsolete and they are in good condition:

• About 40-60% of your total cost for the full rifle.
  • About 60-80% of your total cost if you part it out.
The above range depends on:

- How much you paid for your parts (did you pay retail or waited for deals... Did you take advantage of free shipping deals... did your suppliers charge you tax)
- How well you present your Selling Ad

At the end of the day, you have to decide whether (1) its even worth selling or (2) the ~~$250 difference is worth the effort to part it out.

Hope that helps, Good luck.
Old 09-15-2019, 7:17 AM

As others have mentioned, it’s a buyers market for ARs right now. Unless I really needed quick cash I would hang on to it until the market shifts. A $400 rifle today might be a $1200 rifle after a bad election year.
Old 09-15-2019, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

If you're lucky you'll get $600 - 800. AR market is down on the private sales side. Anyone who wants or needs one has more or less done so in CA. Any new, first time buyer isn't going to pay the same price for a used gun as they would a new one regardless of the value of the sum of the parts. This is just the reality of used gun sales. Unless you have something hard to get and desirable, you're not getting all your money back.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A 1776 Patriot would never sell his musket.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:50 AM

You're better off selling or parting out the upper. People are always willing to look for deals on parts to complete their builds. As for the lower, unless you have a really nice trigger or ambi safety, or stock set, its best to just keep it for a dedicated .22lr build. Honestly, why did you build a long range AR if you're only going to use it in an indoor range?