Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 09-09-2019, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Marketplace Pet Peeve: "I'm Interested"

A recent trend that I have been noticing is the "I'm Interested" PM, usually from a junior member. Sounds great. Somebody wants to buy my item? Right? Sadly no. It almost always results in a day or two of getting strung along. Lots of half commitments. Only for them to completely ghost me for at least a day before telling me they weren't really interested in buying the item after all.

That's no fun people. And this is supposed to be fun.

Asking questions is fine. But don't pretend you want to buy something when you really don't. By all means, ask a question. Better yet PM your best offer. Even better PM an "I'll take it".

However, "I'm interested" doesn't mean squat. So don't get upset when I sell the item to somebody who makes a firm offer or says "I'll take it". An "I'm interested" PM just tells me you're probably wasting my time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just not a fan of getting of jerked around. That's not fun. Nobody's getting rich here. This is a hobby. Above all else, hobbies are all about having fun.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2019 at 6:10 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 6:04 PM
Multi-Tool
CGN Contributor

Put all flakes on ignore so they lose out on any future offers.

I stopped playing after two ghosts.

One guy said yes, then was out of communication for several days, then flaked after I wanted to know what his car was for the meetup in a shopping center parking lot.
Old 09-09-2019, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

In fairness, I did just have an "I'm interested" result in an immediate sale. So ya just never really know. I always assume people mean well.
Old 09-09-2019, 6:23 PM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Whatíre we supposed to say ďgive me your chit?Ē
Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

Old 09-09-2019, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

"I'll take it" or an offer amount works.

I'm interested usually means I don't really want it but I'd like to talk about it for a day or two before completely ghosting you and never responding without telling you I decided I don't want it. Meanwhile I want you to tell other interested parties they need to wait in line while I make up my mind.

That's not only not nice, it's completely unrealistic.

Every rare once in a while it actually means they're interested. But not usually. It gets old really fast.

We're adults. Not teenagers on a dating app. Ghosting people shouldn't even cross our minds.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2019 at 6:37 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 6:44 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
In fairness, I did just have an "I'm interested" result in an immediate sale. So ya just never really know. I always assume people mean well.
Sometimes information is missing from the OP for sale. Right? I asked questions of buyers and sellers. I'll let them know I'm interested hoping that will encourage a reply. Doesn't always work. Now I know why.

Thanks!

PS

(I don't normally respond to anyone offering half of my asking price though... I'm usually in the ballpark of fair.)
Old 09-09-2019, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I’ve noticed that people have become more flakey over the years. On here and severl other websites, I get a “I’m interested” I reply and they ghost. They don’t even bother saying “no longer interested” or “I found one already”.
Old 09-09-2019, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm fine with questions. That's not what I'm getting or referring to. I am referring to people saying they're interested, and usually not asking a question at all. Then not replying back for a day or two. Then maybe low balling. Me accepting because I am nice like that. Then not hearing back at all or if I do hear back they say never mind and back out despite my agreeing to take a massive loss and have dealt with them stalling for several days. That sort of thing.

My gripe is with general lack of courtesy. People forgetting there is a real person on the other end of that PM.

It is not all the time. It is not even most the time. But it does happen more often than it used to and more often than I've come to expect from Calguns.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2019 at 7:00 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 6:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
I’ve noticed that people have become more flakey over the years. On here and severl other websites, I get a “I’m interested” I reply and they ghost. They don’t even bother saying “no longer interested” or “I found one already”.
Exactly.

I'm just asking for people to remember the golden rule. Most people do. Just seems to be more people forgetting it these days than there used to be. Which bums me out. We're better than that.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2019 at 7:01 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 7:10 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm fine with questions. That's not what I'm getting or referring to. I am referring to people saying they're interested, and usually not asking a question at all. Then not replying back for a day or two. Then maybe low balling. Me accepting because I am nice like that. Then not hearing back at all or if I do hear back they say never mind and back out despite my agreeing to take a massive loss and have dealt with them stalling for several days. That sort of thing.

My gripe is with general lack of courtesy. People forgetting there is a real person on the other end of that PM.

It is not all the time. It is not even most the time. But it does happen more often than it used to and more often than I've come to expect from Calguns.
Perhaps they don't know how to subscribe to a thread?

IDK. I just reply like a human. I ignore flakes. No skin off my back.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Just post an "I'm interested" on sale thread w/ no pixs. Price is right, been looking for it, pictures and I'm buying!
Old 09-10-2019, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

That sounds fair. I am not against asking for more information. I ask for pictures all the time. I am against stringing somebody along.
Old 09-10-2019, 1:36 PM

Wink SOLD????????

And everyone please place, "SOLD", in the headline!!

Sombody will hate it when you don't.

Anyway, this is cool,!!!

AR 180C. Only available in Canada so far.
left-180-C.jpg

Last edited by General; 09-10-2019 at 1:39 PM.. Reason: link
Old 09-10-2019, 1:40 PM

I did an "I'm interested" recently and even sent a PM to the seller but never heard a word back. I think it goes both ways.
Old 09-10-2019, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I often send "I'm Interested but not available for FTF until next week if that works"

Because seller might have others interested who can FTF right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-10-2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
I'm interested usually means ...Meanwhile I want you to tell other interested parties they need to wait in line while I make up my mind.
There should be no expectation from the potential buyer that "I'm interested" means you are holding it for them, waiting for them to make up their mind.

If they are willing to put down a non-refundable paypal deposit as a gift to hold it for x number of days, that's another story.

If someone say's "I'll take it" and you try and work with them but can't arrange a meeting in a reasonable amount of time, then they aren't entitled to make you hold it indefinitely for them and you should be able to move on and sell it to the next I'll take it.

Until you have a confirmed price, meeting place (FFL) and date/time agreed to, the item is still up for grabs (while trying to work thru the multiple "I'll take it" PMs, in sequence received). If you can't work out a deal that is convenient to both parties, then there was never a "meeting of the minds", so no responsibility for the seller to hold it. Just move on to the next one.

Last edited by BOBGBA; 09-10-2019 at 1:54 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
And everyone please place, "SOLD", in the headline!!
You got that right.
Old 09-10-2019, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

My posts usually have a dozen or more items. My spare parts box is bigger than most. I'm always trying to sell off old stuff to pay for new stuff. But I do remove an item from the headline when an item sells and replace it with the name of an item still available. I also move it to a SOLD or SOLD PENDING FUNDS section to highlight the stuff still available. Maybe I'm just OCD. But I try to keep it somewhat organized.
Old 09-10-2019, 4:37 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
You got that right.
You mean bumping the thread to say "sold" doesn't work?
Old 09-10-2019, 7:25 PM

I recently posted an Iíll take it on a post and sent an email to the poster as requested. A couple brief text and Agreed to meet at the sellers PPT and at the price listed. Then the seller stopped replying. The next day I asked if they changed their mind and they said they had someone closer interested. 🤦🏽*♂️ I let them choose the PPT location. Makes no sense to me.
Old 09-10-2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexo98 View Post
I recently posted an I’ll take it on a post and sent an email to the poster as requested. A couple brief text and Agreed to meet at the sellers PPT and at the price listed. Then the seller stopped replying. The next day I asked if they changed their mind and they said they had someone closer interested. ����*♂️ I let them choose the PPT location. Makes no sense to me.
These days some has zero principal or integrity. When it comes to money all for themselves. The seller in your case agreed and confirmed to all terms and still shopping to either his convenience or better offer. He probably gotten a better offer. If that's the case, he should never agreed to sell it to you in the first place. No respect. All for themselves. See money does that to people lol. But one day karma willl payback.

As for op's "i'm interested". I received few of them too but I just be nice and replay let me know if you want to make an offer and in the mean time ad will still run and whomever agreed and confirm with date, time and ppt location first will get the gun. Very simple.

I don't know what OP's prices are but maybe those "interested" are hoping waiting for seller to lower or just tire kicking/window shopping.

Does those low ball or interested messages bother me? not personally, I just reply nicely and move on. Most of the time I set prices very competitively and many knowns its a decent deal already.

Last edited by sfe187; 09-10-2019 at 7:49 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 8:07 PM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
You mean bumping the thread to say "sold" doesn't work?
Old 09-10-2019, 8:47 PM

This is interesting. I often say that I am interested and want to meet up to purchase the item. IF they respond, I often provide my phone number for faster responses. It seems wrong to say that “I’ll take it” without inspecting the item and having the option to not buy it. Here is something that happened to me. There was a Beretta M9a1 that was posted with only “200” rounds shot, so I met up with the buyer in San Diego. The pictures looked great and when we meet, the gun looked like it was older than described. The finish looked really good, but the slide was loose/ rattled and upon closer inspection, it looked like the feedramp was polished to make it look newer. The corners and serrations felt rounded. It asked if the M9 had been refinished, how long he owned and shot it. I decided not to buy it and he wasn’t happy. I was waiting to get flamed on the forum but it never came.

Last edited by Pharmboy; 09-10-2019 at 8:53 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 8:50 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Iím interested.
Old 09-10-2019, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1558160

These are the worst (IMO). I usually PM/post super fast at the listed price and the seller says "sorry someone offered me $x+y." Happens more often than I can count...

Last edited by tradecraft; 09-10-2019 at 8:58 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 9:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1558160

These are the worst (IMO). I usually PM/post super fast at the listed price and the seller says "sorry someone offered me $x+y." Happens more often than I can count...
I wish people would get into bidding wars over my stuff. Not that I would be patient enough to wait for multiple offers. Maybe it's me but I am always being a little too nice and constantly accepting offers less than my asking price...even when I said my price was firm. I have my limits. If it's insultingly low I'll say no. But I try to be flexible. The goal is to sell it and fund other projects. So I want to say yest if I can. I am flexible to the point I should change my username to Gumby.
Old 09-10-2019, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

My pet peeve is getting a PM from a newbie, joined yesterday with zero post and zero feedback and the want a picture of my vp9 safe queen. If you’re going to buy it ok , but it looks like every other factory vp9 on google, Make me an offer we can agree on THEN I will email or text u pics. I admit tho they aren’t all flaky one or two have come thru.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1550625
Old 09-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmboy View Post
This is interesting. I often say that I am interested and want to meet up to purchase the item. IF they respond, I often provide my phone number for faster responses. It seems wrong to say that ďIíll take itĒ without inspecting the item and having the option to not buy it. Here is something that happened to me. There was a Beretta M9a1 that was posted with only ď200Ē rounds shot, so I met up with the buyer in San Diego. The pictures looked great and when we meet, the gun looked like it was older than described. The finish looked really good, but the slide was loose/ rattled and upon closer inspection, it looked like the feedramp was polished to make it look newer. The corners and serrations felt rounded. It asked if the M9 had been refinished, how long he owned and shot it. I decided not to buy it and he wasnít happy. I was waiting to get flamed on the forum but it never came.
You are NOT obligated to buy if inspection is not what was described.
Old 09-11-2019, 5:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A recent trend that I have been noticing is the "I'm Interested" PM, usually from a junior member. Sounds great. Somebody wants to buy my item? Right? Sadly no. It almost always results in a day or two of getting strung along. Lots of half commitments. Only for them to completely ghost me for at least a day before telling me they weren't really interested in buying the item after all.

That's no fun people. And this is supposed to be fun.

Asking questions is fine. But don't pretend you want to buy something when you really don't. By all means, ask a question. Better yet PM your best offer. Even better PM an "I'll take it".

However, "I'm interested" doesn't mean squat. So don't get upset when I sell the item to somebody who makes a firm offer or says "I'll take it". An "I'm interested" PM just tells me you're probably wasting my time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just not a fan of getting of jerked around. That's not fun. Nobody's getting rich here. This is a hobby. Above all else, hobbies are all about having fun.
"Im interested" is the online version of the guy who walks into a gun shop, wastes the time of the guy behind the counter, puts his fingerprints on everything in the store and then walks out without buying anything after an hour of being there. Essentially a tire kicker IMO.
Old 09-11-2019, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexo98 View Post
...Agreed to meet at the sellers PPT and at the price listed. Then the seller stopped replying. The next day I asked if they changed their mind and they said they had someone closer interested. 🤦🏽*♂️ I let them choose the PPT location. Makes no sense to me.
Bad seller. Add to your ignore list. If you have PMs documenting the agreement, you could leave negative feedback. That type of situation sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmboy View Post
This is interesting. I often say that I am interested and want to meet up to purchase the item. IF they respond, I often provide my phone number for faster responses. It seems wrong to say that ďIíll take itĒ without inspecting the item and having the option to not buy it. Here is something that happened to me. There was a Beretta M9a1 that was posted with only ď200Ē rounds shot, so I met up with the buyer in San Diego. The pictures looked great and when we meet, the gun looked like it was older than described. The finish looked really good, but the slide was loose/ rattled and upon closer inspection, it looked like the feedramp was polished to make it look newer. The corners and serrations felt rounded. It asked if the M9 had been refinished, how long he owned and shot it. I decided not to buy it and he wasnít happy. I was waiting to get flamed on the forum but it never came.
You can always say "I'll take it pending inspection." Kind of a qualified offer. Then it's up to the seller to accept or reject your offer.
Old 09-11-2019, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
My pet peeve is getting a PM from a newbie, joined yesterday with zero post and zero feedback and the want a picture of my vp9 safe queen. If youíre going to buy it ok , but it looks like every other factory vp9 on google, Make me an offer we can agree on THEN I will email or text u pics. I admit tho they arenít all flaky one or two have come thru.
But per rules here you are supposed to supply pics. Like the poster a few up said, someone could be misrepresenting the item and it can be spotted from a pic. I've also seen firearms listed as 1 model but the pic was for another. Happened a while back someone was advertising a p226 mk25 but it was a plane jane 226. Just post some pictures, it isn't hard.

I also say "I'm interested" when the poster is lacking relevant information such as condition, age, what it comes with, etc. It goes both ways.. a lot of the sellers here don't represent their items well. If the details are there and you get an I'm interested... great, let me know when you want to buy. But it can also mean the seller dropped the ball and is lacking info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vagabond; 09-11-2019 at 7:22 AM..
Old 09-11-2019, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I also say "I'm interested" when the poster is lacking relevant information such as condition, age, what it comes with, etc. It goes both ways..
But, you probably also include questions, asking foe the missing specifics that you want to know about.

A post or PM that consists solely of "I'm interested", really means:

1) I'm interested and hoping you will respond by lowering your price and/or selling it to me for less than it's worth
2) I'm interested, but not enough to make changes to my budget, so that I can fund it

At least that's my take on it.
Old 09-11-2019, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

I just got ghosted again...since posting this thread. It's VERY annoying. Apparently part of doing business online. But annoying.
Old 09-11-2019, 8:53 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

There is nothing dumber than this:

Want to sell item, condition, price, photos, contact info, etc........

"Trades??"

Possibly. What do you have to trade?

"What do you need?"

/end of discussion

Because my "Want to SELL" thread is subconsciously a want to trade thread. And I don't know what I want to trade for, so hopefully someone will offer something interesting. But they won't offer a specific item right away. There has to be a pointless back and forth dialogue where I am asked to identify an item that I am not actually looking for, but that that he has and wants to trade to me. Without disclosing to me what it is of course.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Multi-Tool
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I just got ghosted again...since posting this thread. It's VERY annoying. Apparently part of doing business online. But annoying.
Probably did that one on purpose......
Old 09-11-2019, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
Probably did that one on purpose......
It is a good thing for them I am too much of a pushover to leave negative feedback for people.
Old 09-11-2019, 8:16 PM

This place really hasn't changed. I remember selling on here. Some solid stand-up people, the rest were as lame as the lamest you'd find on craigslist.

Best part is when you do decide on a time/day and they don't show up.
Old 09-12-2019, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Well...........

Having been here for almost 14 years and sold / purchased a gun or two, this is what I do to keep my BP down.

Sellers

Be honest, direct & forthright in your post! Detail all the pros & cons of the gun/ item. Add the best pictures possible to your ad. Answer the routine questions. Age, condition, rds downrange, any issues, any history, any mods, location, etc., etc. in your ad.

Sellers you want a good buyer? Then post a good ad!

Be clear in your terms for a buyer. This is what I post at the end of my ad to eliminate allot of wasted time IMHO.

"PM only please, do not post in thread, 1st come, 1st serve, will not hold, no trades, no shipping, local PPT at at mutually agreed FFL only. Your cell number must be included in your PM. No cell # No reply, No exceptions".

Also, if a buyer agrees to your price & terms, then they buy the gun. NEVER, NEVER, EVER accept a higher price offer from another member & turn around and screw over the original buyer. NEVER !!! Once you have agreed to sell the gun to the 1st buyer, who agreed to your price & terms, that's it. Period. None of this "Gee, I guess I priced it too low, I should have asked for more" crap. Too late & too bad. Your word is your bond, honor it!

Buyers

Be honest, direct & forthright in your response to an ad. Respect the seller's terms. If the seller asks for a cell # then provide one. If you don't want to give one, no problem. Then don't be butt hurt because you didn't get a reply. Don't be shy about asking questions once you've met the sellers terms. They're not a mind reader, talk to them!

Its your money, by all means, talk to the seller about any concerns, ask allot of questions. Once your satisfied with the seller's responses, then make a decision! You want the gun, then buy it, If not, no problem. And remember the seller wants to sell the gun. Don't expect the seller to wait around, jogging in place, waiting for your text or call. Make a decision.

Communication is everything! I'm not perfect and I don't expect anybody else to be perfect. However the only excuses I accept for lack of communications from both sides of a deal, are death, incarceration or a coma in a hospital.

I'm well aware of how busy we all are and yes, life sometimes throws us a curve ball, I get it. But if you're genuine in negotiating a purchase, you can find 30 seconds and send a updated text or call! That's why a cell # is so important IMHO to both parties during a deal.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it!
Old 09-12-2019, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecattledog View Post
Just post an "I'm interested" on sale thread w/ no pixs. Price is right, been looking for it, pictures and I'm buying!
OK, got pixs from seller, discussed logistics (we were a 1/2 hour apart in SF east bay), posted in original post that I would take it. Set up meet at City Arms in P.H. for that afternoon. Then was told 1st person interested was taking it. Not sure if that deserves a 'negative' rating but it would have been nice to know that some one was in front of me!
Old 09-12-2019, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beretta View Post
Well...........

Having been here for almost 14 years and sold / purchased a gun or two, this is what I do to keep my BP down.

Sellers

Be honest, direct & forthright in your post! Detail all the pros & cons of the gun/ item. Add the best pictures possible to your ad. Answer the routine questions. Age, condition, rds downrange, any issues, any history, any mods, location, etc., etc. in your ad.

Sellers you want a good buyer? Then post a good ad!

Be clear in your terms for a buyer. This is what I post at the end of my ad to eliminate allot of wasted time IMHO.

"PM only please, do not post in thread, 1st come, 1st serve, will not hold, no trades, no shipping, local PPT at at mutually agreed FFL only. Your cell number must be included in your PM. No cell # No reply, No exceptions".

Also, if a buyer agrees to your price & terms, then they buy the gun. NEVER, NEVER, EVER accept a higher price offer from another member & turn around and screw over the original buyer. NEVER !!! Once you have agreed to sell the gun to the 1st buyer, who agreed to your price & terms, that's it. Period. None of this "Gee, I guess I priced it too low, I should have asked for more" crap. Too late & too bad. Your word is your bond, honor it!

Buyers

Be honest, direct & forthright in your response to an ad. Respect the seller's terms. If the seller asks for a cell # then provide one. If you don't want to give one, no problem. Then don't be butt hurt because you didn't get a reply. Don't be shy about asking questions once you've met the sellers terms. They're not a mind reader, talk to them!

Its your money, by all means, talk to the seller about any concerns, ask allot of questions. Once your satisfied with the seller's responses, then make a decision! You want the gun, then buy it, If not, no problem. And remember the seller wants to sell the gun. Don't expect the seller to wait around, jogging in place, waiting for your text or call. Make a decision.

Communication is everything! I'm not perfect and I don't expect anybody else to be perfect. However the only excuses I accept for lack of communications from both sides of a deal, are death, incarceration or a coma in a hospital.

I'm well aware of how busy we all are and yes, life sometimes throws us a curve ball, I get it. But if you're genuine in negotiating a purchase, you can find 30 seconds and send a updated text or call! That's why a cell # is so important IMHO to both parties during a deal.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it!
+100%