Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-29-2019, 2:06 PM

Seems to me prohibiting a legal, common, safety modification like a light, RMR or laser would put some liability right on the county should that become part of a bad shoot, no?

"If I just had a (insert whatever device) I would have been able to (insert reason to not shoot) and escape instead".
Old 12-29-2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHansent View Post

Unrelated side question as I'm still awaiting final approval and haven't found an answer anywhere. Is there a duty to inform law enforcement of your CCW if you were to get pulled over in Sonoma? If no, and you are visiting a county where you would, do their rules apply or do you follow the issuing county's policy?

Sonoma county policy clearly states that you need to disclose that you are a valid CCW permit holder. Itís even on the back of our permit. And Alicia made sure to make sure I fully understood it at time of pick up.
Old 12-29-2019, 3:51 PM

Thereís no statewide duty to inform.

The IA who gave you the permit can set the requirements of duty to inform. But if youíre in a county that has duty to inform you DONT have to follow a different counties duty to inform policy.

I canít find any duty to inform in the ccw policy.

NOW HERES SOME BEST PRACTICES I HAVE BEEN TOLD:

If youíre in a county where they require you to inform and you donít and they run your information they will probably discover you have a permit. At which case officer not so friendly may give you a hard time. If you control the manner and means in which that information is shared you can control your destiny better lol.

I keep my insurance/registration in my visor clip in my sunshade. And I always have my wallet in a spot that is easily gotten before the cop gets to my car.

Not tryna get shot when I lean into the glove box.
Old 12-29-2019, 3:51 PM

I couldn’t find anything about duty to inform on the policy when I applied?
Old 12-29-2019, 3:53 PM

The back of my permit doesn’t say I need to inform them...
Old 12-29-2019, 3:59 PM

Please no one ask about high cap mags. Let’s not push any further. Cause it seems like they’re gonna make every restriction possible.
Old 12-29-2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renomay View Post
The back of my permit doesnít say I need to inform them...

Mine does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB54F15A-08AE-42AE-A275-3EDE17B1BE13.jpg (19.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 12-29-2019, 4:29 PM

Interesting. When did you get yours? Mine must be older.
Old 12-29-2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Interesting. When did you get yours? Mine must be older.
Mine was approved the day before thanksgiving. But I didnít get issued my permit until December 3rd.
Old 12-29-2019, 5:52 PM

I got mine in August. Looks like the newer policy went into effect late October.
Old 12-29-2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHansent View Post
A stock Glock is definitely better than no Glock, but it would seem to me there is and should be a difference between modifications and accessories.

Did anyone who asked get any indication as to whether this policy is a unchanged holdover or is new? I doubt anyone has a Pre-Essick policy sheet?

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but at least in regards to accessories (sights, lights) a few respectful letters making the case for why they should be allowed may go a long way in changing the policy. I can imagine the argument that could be made for why triggers etc. shouldn't be modified, but I come up dry with any argument against sights or lights. The use of "adding laser sights" in the policy makes it murkier, but I'd almost think that the "no changes whatsoever" that was being given as a response to inquiries may be a misinterpretation.

I took my training course in Ukiah over a month after the policy was posted. They went down the line asking Sonoma residents if anyone had modifications. Most people had upgraded sights and the instructors seemed to think that was okay. So if the policy is actually so strict that we can only use right out of the box guns, there's definitely a communication breakdown.

Additionally, in the policy under the renewal section:
"Submitting any firearm to be considered for a license renewal to the Firearms Instructor for a full safety inspection. The Sheriff reserves the right to deny a license for any firearm that has been altered from the manufacturer’s specifications or that is unsafe".
This would definitely imply the "previously approved" portion of the license restrictions means what was qualified with, not what is stock.

Unrelated side question as I'm still awaiting final approval and haven't found an answer anywhere. Is there a duty to inform law enforcement of your CCW if you were to get pulled over in Sonoma? If no, and you are visiting a county where you would, do their rules apply or do you follow the issuing county's policy?
When it's a statement like that, it leads me to believe that lightening the trigger would make it "altered from mfg's spec or unsafe" whereas a light or laser has no bearing on the performance or safety features.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:27 PM

Okay, I assumed there would be duty to inform, but it's good to get confirmation. Thanks guys!

Reno, definitely agree about mags and good idea with insurance/registration placement - I'm gonna adopt it.
Old 12-30-2019, 5:32 AM

The part that I’m honestly most upset about is the change in restrictions about duty to inform. Because at the time I got my permit there was no duty to inform. And that’s not on my license to inform them. So what if I got pulled over and didn’t know to inform them? Am I under those term that didn’t exist? They have all my contact information so why didn’t they let everyone know about that?
Old 12-30-2019, 8:01 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Be reasonable.

If yours does not have that requirement on it, and you were not told of the requirement when yours was issued, then you would not have been in violation of anything had you not informed.

Now that you know the policy is changed, it would be prudent to inform, even if your paper permit does not say it is required.

It's not that big of a deal, and in my opinion, makes a whole lot more sense to inform whether required by policy or not. "Officer, before I go reaching around my car for paperwork, I just want you to know I have a CCW and it's on my hip/center console/wherever."

That is how I have treated it every time I've been stopped while carrying a gun, and it has never once been more of a situation than "ok, thanks for letting me know. Sign here."

Just be reasonable and don't overreact to things. It makes life much simpler.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Well I haven't checked in in awhile and was thrilled to see how much progress we've made here in Sonoma County! I just got done submitting my application and I'm pretty sure I've got reasonable good cause. Between having CCW's in NV and UT plus carrying large sums of cash to and from southern NV several times a year I'm hoping to finally be able to carry in my home state. The only thing that could trip me up is two very minor misdemeanor convictions, one from 1977 and one from 1997. Non-violent.
Has anybody received a permit who has a criminal record similar to mine?
Old 12-30-2019, 12:19 PM

I don't believe CLETS holds any CCW information. Now if the Dispatcher wants to sniff around (or is asked) they can probably get to it by simply calling the county issuing and asking- those folks can find it for sure, but they'll need your name, maybe your DOB to be sure.
Old 01-01-2020, 4:53 PM

Just wanna day thank y’all for bein here. Great to have a community of people in the area.
Old 01-01-2020, 5:25 PM

And you've got folks still paying attention from out of the area! Sending our best from Kansas!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Just wanna day thank yíall for bein here. Great to have a community of people in the area.
And I want to thank YOU for putting those videos together.
Stellar job, Reno!
Old 01-02-2020, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

I suggest sending Sheriff Essick a "thank you" card saying how much you appreciate his liberalizing the GC standard for CCWs, allowing you to protect "you & yours" while in public. Tell him you'll vote for him and support his campaign should he run again in 2022.

Be sure to tell any family, friends or shooting buddies in Sonoma Co that they can now probably get a CA CCW if they want.

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 01-03-2020, 3:44 PM

I’ll probably reach out. would be nice.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:04 AM

Application submitted!
Old 01-07-2020, 10:11 AM

I'm at 60 days today... still waiting to be assigned to processor. The suspense is killing me! I'm sure holidays and whatnot slowed me down a few weeks.
Old 01-08-2020, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707illa View Post
I'm at 60 days today... still waiting to be assigned to processor. The suspense is killing me! I'm sure holidays and whatnot slowed me down a few weeks.
Wow, I guess I should cool my jets...
I'm only in a little over a week and have been checking everyday.
Old 01-08-2020, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P220forever View Post
Wow, I guess I should cool my jets...
I'm only in a little over a week and have been checking everyday.
I feel your pain. I check almost every day too, just in case. I am sure hoping for a positive outcome soon
Old 01-08-2020, 9:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did mine in July, they just charged an old cc which got declined. Little things are annoying but it seems to be going thru.
Old 01-16-2020, 5:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When doing your application give them everything in the beginning as there is not a formal interview later. Also make sure which guns you want on your permit because you can change at the end but it adds more time. Have your reference letters set up early and plan your class so when they give you the ok to get a live scan You are ready to go. After that it is a matter of paperwork. Good luck.

Last edited by zinfull; 01-16-2020 at 5:20 PM..
Old 01-16-2020, 9:42 PM

Anyone going to the 2A rally on Monday?
Old 01-17-2020, 5:03 PM

What rally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2020, 2:57 PM

What’s up Gunners. It’s been a while.
So I’ve been watching the proses and seems nows the time to file for CCW.
What are some of your good cause reasons?
If you don’t want to share here maybe someone could message me.
And reference letters ,can someone maybe share some info on what’s being put into a ref letter? I have the 3 people picked out just need an idea of what’s needed for it.

Much appreciated
Old 01-21-2020, 1:53 PM

I just wanted to post the updated counties map.
I never thought I'd live to see the day that Sonoma County turned dark green.

God bless Sheriff Essick, a true friend of 2A.

Old 01-21-2020, 2:31 PM

This is awesome news. Iím filing this week. 🤞🤞

Quote:
Originally Posted by P220forever View Post
I just wanted to post the updated counties map.
I never thought I'd live to see the day that Sonoma County turned dark green.

God bless Sheriff Essick, a true friend of 2A.

Old 01-22-2020, 8:56 AM

So is it worth calling in to check the status of my application? Its been over 60 days, and I am curious if something has gone awry? At the same time, I don't want to be a bother. Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2020, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So is it worth calling in to check the status of my application? Its been over 60 days, and I am curious if something has gone awry? At the same time, I don't want to be a bother. Thoughts?
I wouldn't. I know someone who applied in October and just received their preliminary approval last week. The SCSO is pretty backed up with applications.
Old 01-22-2020, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc357 View Post
I wouldn't. I know someone who applied in October and just received their preliminary approval last week. The SCSO is pretty backed up with applications.
Fair enough, thanks for the info. I figured they got inundated with applications and we had the holidays on top of that. Ill hold of on rocking the boat.... Hopefully that means I should be inside a month, so maybe Ill call around the 90 day mark..
Old 01-22-2020, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, thanks for the info. I figured they got inundated with applications and we had the holidays on top of that. Ill hold of on rocking the boat.... Hopefully that means I should be inside a month, so maybe Ill call around the 90 day mark..
Please donít rock the boat I just filled. LOLOLOL.
Good luck.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
What’s up Gunners. It’s been a while.
So I’ve been watching the proses and seems nows the time to file for CCW.
What are some of your good cause reasons?
If you don’t want to share here maybe someone could message me.
And reference letters ,can someone maybe share some info on what’s being put into a ref letter? I have the 3 people picked out just need an idea of what’s needed for it.

Much appreciated
For the GC, talk about situations you are in that during your regular life that make you vulnerable and how you wish to carry a concealed weapon for the purpose of self defense. Do you hike, fish, camp or spend any time in locations with little or no cell service? If so, talk about that. Do you carry anything valuable around for recreation or for work? If so, talk about that.

I'm not sure all that is even needed now that SC is dark green, but it wouldn't hurt to put it in there in my opinion.

See below for letters.

Quote:
I had Sonoma County residence write mine. They were all about three paragraphs long. They talked about how long they have known me, their first hand knowledge of my ability to handle a firearm safely and responsibly, their believe that I am physically, mentally, emotionally sound and responsible enough to be able to carry a firearm.

Last edited by dgc357; 01-22-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Old 01-22-2020, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the information. I filed last night.

Quote:
For the GC, talk about situations you are in that during your regular life that make you vulnerable and how you wish to carry a concealed weapon for the purpose of self defense. Do you hike, fish, camp or spend any time in locations with little or no cell service? If so, talk about that. Do you carry anything valuable around for recreation or for work? If so, talk about that.

I'm not sure all that is even needed now that SC is dark green, but it wouldn't hurt to put it in there in my opinion.

See below for letters.
Old 01-23-2020, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have asked questions but also tried not being an ***. Send an email and hope everything is still good. My approval letter got lost in the mail and a month later they sent an email to see if I still was interested.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull View Post
I have asked questions but also tried not being an ***. Send an email and hope everything is still good. My approval letter got lost in the mail and a month later they sent an email to see if I still was interested.
Ill give that a shot, thanks for the info. When I log in, it still says "being assigned to processor". were you checking the online status in that month while your letter was lost?