Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 02-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Default AZ hunting - Deer, Javies

Been thinking about heading out to AZ sometime to see some of my wife's family, hike around & maybe do a little hunting. We'd probably only stay a week with a couple days at best to hunt. Could be spring, summer or winter -- no plans yet. What's the process for out of state hunting for deer & javelina? Method of take is flexible -- I am proficient enough with centerfire, muzzleloader & archery. But I'd be going in fairly blind to whatever public land I can find near Flagstaff (max 1 hour drive). Are there zones? Is there a lottery for non-residents? OTC tags? Apprx cost for all that (trying to figure out if it's even worth it). All thoughts appreciated.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/regulations/
Old 02-21-2020, 11:57 AM

Sounds like you've got some "leg" work to do (aka internetting...).

The only time you can hunt jav and deer at the same time is in January with archery. I could be (most likely am) mistaken, though. Seems like a good time to go for most folks to avoid the dreary winter but coming from CA means it won't be a big change.
Old 02-21-2020, 4:37 PM

Javelina are foul little creatures. I wouldnít waste your time.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:02 PM

Archery deer is about $500 for a nonresident and gives you three months to hunt. It doesnít require a lottery drawing and can be purchased over the counter. Your hunting license will give you small game also.
Old 02-22-2020, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I go on that hunt every year. Javelina are a lot of fun to hunt and can be hunted mid day when you're not on deer. The deer hunting is really fun also. If I were you I'd head straight west (there will be both deer and jav in ANY direction you head) and just hunt Jav at first. Once you start seeing deer and learning the area pick up a tag at any Walmart. Jan is the season to go, the deer will be rutting and overlaps with archery javelina.

That deer tag will also be good at other times if you want to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Archery deer is about $500 for a nonresident and gives you three months to hunt. It doesn’t require a lottery drawing and can be purchased over the counter. Your hunting license will give you small game also.
Its $300 on the dot. Javelina is around $100.

Last edited by 180ls1; 02-22-2020 at 7:47 AM..
Old 02-24-2020, 5:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Javelina make a nice mount . Not enough tough meat on them to be worthwhile for eating. We don't hunt them on our property.
Old 02-24-2020, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Been thinking about heading out to AZ sometime to see some of my wife's family, hike around & maybe do a little hunting. We'd probably only stay a week with a couple days at best to hunt. Could be spring, summer or winter -- no plans yet. What's the process for out of state hunting for deer & javelina? Method of take is flexible -- I am proficient enough with centerfire, muzzleloader & archery. But I'd be going in fairly blind to whatever public land I can find near Flagstaff (max 1 hour drive). Are there zones? Is there a lottery for non-residents? OTC tags? Apprx cost for all that (trying to figure out if it's even worth it). All thoughts appreciated.
Javelina general season is open right now. I saw many more deer than I did javelina.

They are probably the easiest game animal I can imagine for ML, HG, or archery. They are a great way to get into AZ hunting.
Old 02-25-2020, 4:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Deer closed till sept. Go to texas and shoot hogs.
Old 02-25-2020, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
I go on that hunt every year. Javelina are a lot of fun to hunt and can be hunted mid day when you're not on deer. The deer hunting is really fun also. If I were you I'd head straight west (there will be both deer and jav in ANY direction you head) and just hunt Jav at first. Once you start seeing deer and learning the area pick up a tag at any Walmart. Jan is the season to go, the deer will be rutting and overlaps with archery javelina.

That deer tag will also be good at other times if you want to go back.

Its $300 on the dot. Javelina is around $100.
That’s $300 for a deer tag and about $160 for a hunting license = about $460 to hunt deer/not $300 on the dot.
Yes I rounded it to $500.

Last edited by tsmithson; 02-25-2020 at 4:20 AM..
Old 02-25-2020, 8:18 AM

I should have clarified: Either deer or javelina.

Are there zones like here in CA? Or is the OTC archery tag open for all areas? What about muzzleloader and centerfire? Are those lottery?
Old 02-25-2020, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Are there zones like here in CA? Or is the OTC archery tag open for all areas? What about muzzleloader and centerfire? Are those lottery?
Yes there are zones.

Some hunts sell out, I doubt the HAM javelina hunts do. AZGFD's website is excellent and has lots of info on hints and draws.

TBH I don't thing Flag is surrounded by excellent javelina areas, as they prefer lower elevations.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yes there are zones.

Some hunts sell out, I doubt the HAM javelina hunts do. AZGFD's website is excellent and has lots of info on hints and draws.

TBH I don't thing Flag is surrounded by excellent javelina areas, as they prefer lower elevations.

Some deer zones sell out, resulting in draws and bonus points.
Old 02-25-2020, 4:22 PM

Id go with unit 21. They are throughout the unit. Deer and javies. About an hour fifteen from flagstaff.
Old 02-26-2020, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thatís $300 for a deer tag and about $160 for a hunting license = about $460 to hunt deer/not $300 on the dot.
Yes I rounded it to $500.
When you state "Archery deer is about $500" it makes it sound like thats what the tag costs. I was clarifying that the tag is $300. I am sure he knows he will need a license to hunt out of state and that it is not free.
Old 02-26-2020, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Its both. The archery OTC deer tag is like an AO tag here in CA. The javelina tag depends on what tag you select.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
When you state "Archery deer is about $500" it makes it sound like thats what the tag costs. I was clarifying that the tag is $300. I am sure he knows he will need a license to hunt out of state and that it is not free.
My friend,
He stated he does not know and wanted the approximate cost for ďALL THATĒ is required to hunt out of state in AZ. I gave him an ALL THAT quote. I know that is what it costs me to hunt deer in AZ. It costs me about $500 for over the counter nonresident Elk in UT also but the license is included with the tag for UT and includes fishing, small game.

I donít know why I kicked this dead horse...again.
Good hunting.
Cheers
Old 02-27-2020, 6:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My friend,
He stated he does not know and wanted the approximate cost for ďALL THATĒ is required to hunt out of state in AZ. I gave him an ALL THAT quote. I know that is what it costs me to hunt deer in AZ. It costs me about $500 for over the counter nonresident Elk in UT also but the license is included with the tag for UT and includes fishing, small game.

I donít know why I kicked this dead horse...again.
Good hunting.
Cheers
I guess we read it differently. Fair enough.