Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-13-2020, 12:45 PM

So I just did my livescan, and was able to pick their brain a little bit while I was there. I was helped by Teresa, and she was very kind and personable.

So I understand I am not fully approved yet pending my background check but my letters of Good Moral Character and Good Cause statements have made the cut and got me this far so that's gotta be worth sharing what I have learned so far.

She made an offhand comment that not all applications are making it past the GMC and GCS to the livescan part of the process. I asked her a little more about that, and she said they put a lot of weight on your good cause statement and letters of good moral character. She said directly that they want to know what people are saying about you.

I translate that as you need to be able to put together some coherent sentences as to why you have a need, and it cant simply be to defend yourself. Ask yourself why you have a heightened need for self defense, and take that into consideration when you are filling out your application. I personally have a legitimately heightened good cause, likely well above what they require. In essence I frequent rural areas of Northern California with items of high monetary value and little to no cell coverage and very long response times. I elaborated that in detail with what/where/when for my good cause statement in about 5-6 well formed sentences.

Two of my GMC letters were from people who know me well for 20+ years, and one was from a colleague who I have know for about 3 years and all spoke about my integrity, responsibility, and good judgement. Only one letter spoke a briefly about my proficiency and safety with firearms. In other words, almost all of what my friends had to say about me had nothing to do with firearms proficiency. All letters provided names and contact info, but to my knowledge none we actually contacted.

I also submitted my GMC letters, Proof of residency (phone bill and car registration), and DD214 (Army discharge papers) within about 3-4 weeks of initially submitting the application. Well before my application was assigned to a processor.

She said due to a backlog at the DOJ Livescan can also take 4-6 additional weeks and CCW permits are not high priority for the DOJ. I called right when I got my email this morning, and she said she could squeeze me in so within 2 hours of my preliminary approval I was done with getting fingerprinted. The policy flat out says they wont ask you to complete CCW training until the DOJ livescan is complete so if you fail the background check you are not out the time and money, so keep that in mind. At this point with the backlog of applications, I would have to agree. Just wait on that part. I have had live-scans before for jobs and TSA pre-check and to my knowledge they are much faster as long as you have no hits on your fingerprints that require review by a technician, so we will see if that holds water in this case as well. Teresa said folks will always say on their application they are clean and clear, but the live-scan still eliminates people.

For what its worth she said real estate agents get a high rate of approval all other factors aside. I asked because a friend of mine is a female agent, and she said they have seen quite a few get approved. I'm not going to spell it out, but you can glean a lot from that info alone.

I hope this helps!
Old 02-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
"permit name" as in "CCW holder"? Or gave them your name?
From what I gathered from the letter I received is they had to submit basically all our info minus our actual physical address. So they have our names zip codes, occupation and everything else printed on my permit.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707caz View Post

Right on. Very happy for you. Where you doing your training ??

I am going to use Cody Andrade. He does one on one, and his scheduling is more flexible. I have a lot of time constraints and obligations so getting a whole weekend for a class would end up costing me more than the extra fee for the one on one.
Old 02-21-2020, 9:30 AM

My status bar finally changed to "assigned to processor/processing application" I'm still under the 90 day Mark by 8 days.! Time to get the training done.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanekayne707 View Post
My status bar finally changed to "assigned to processor/processing application" I'm still under the 90 day Mark by 8 days.! Time to get the training done.
congrats, and good luck!
Old 02-25-2020, 6:22 AM

707illa THANK YOU

That was some of the best insight we’ve gotten. So definitely DONT say good cause. But do elaborate the specific heightened danger situations you may face. And expect the process to take much longer.

I’d live to pick your brain once you are done and have the ccw to get an exact timeline from start to finish.
Old 02-25-2020, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renomay View Post
707illa THANK YOU

That was some of the best insight weíve gotten. So definitely DONT say good cause. But do elaborate the specific heightened danger situations you may face. And expect the process to take much longer.

Iíd live to pick your brain once you are done and have the ccw to get an exact timeline from start to finish.
Thank buddy. It was your video that showed me, and probably a lot of us, this was our new reality so thanks for that! You're welcome to pick my brain anytime. If you want I could get you out on my buddies private range one of these days and we could chop it up. Regardless, Ill probably put up another detailed post here when/if everything goes through (or doesn't for whatever reason). I don't want to jinx myself in the meantime...

That's pretty much it when it comes to good cause. This is just my own assumptions based on what I have experienced so far, but I think what they are primarily looking for is someone who can put together a few clear and coherent sentences explaining exactly why they have this need to carry deadly force in their waste band (or whatever), and why granting this ability will not further increase the burden on law enforcement. Folks need to ask themselves what am I doing that could make me a target, and why cant this be reasonably avoided?
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfrey View Post
I got one too, I plan to call the Press Dem tomorrow to ask what they plan on doing with that info, saw on the internet that the Chronicle had to up their security due to threats.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707illa View Post
Keep us posted. I doubt they will tell you much, but my guess is its politics. They will try to slant the info one way or another for votes.
Guys, I live in the Central Coast area now, but lived in Rohnert Park, Cotati, then Santa Rosa for 21 years, from 1971 to 1992. As early as 1978 the PD was publishing lists of CCW holders, with no other purpose than to harass them and the idea of personal self-defense, and to question the permit process. You should have read the letters to the editor after the first list was published, with the names of all the potential killers.

The problem was, at the time the permit process in Sonoma County WAS totally corrupt, and the paper touched on that only a bit at the time. There was no training requirement, (or if there was a minimal one it could be easily bypassed), GMC verification, or other hoops.

Most questions were if you carried liability insurance as I recall, but the reality was CCW requests were simply denied unless you knew the Deputy Coroner at the Sheriffs Dept, or did him a favor.

Around that time my boss at an auto shop put new tires on the DCís 4x4, new brakes all around, did a wheel bearing repack (I did that job) and engine tune up, and had his CCW the next day. Total cost to my boss was $600 in parts only, free labor. LOL!

On the other hand, a year later I was driving a cab at 3 am carrying hundreds in cash, in places like West 9th Street, Roseland, and Indian Village, which was a dangerous ghetto at the time, and couldnít get one despite a year of trying, so I gave up and made my own arrangements.

Not saying itís like that now, but 42 years ago thatís exactly how it was in SC, and enough time has passed that I doubt anyone cares at this point. But SC isnít alone in that bias; when I lived in Santa Cruz in 1991 there were TWO people with CCWís, both personal friends of the police chief, and to this day other counties make it as difficult as possible.

Iím very fortunate to live in Monterey County where the requirements are tough, but fair if youíre a law-abiding citizen. It cost a few hundred dollars, and was time consuming, but there was no bias in the background check, training requirement, etc., and no favoritism of any kind because we have a good sheriff in charge. And no ďgood causeĒ justification needed; ďself-defense,Ē is all the good cause you need.

Shall issue is the way to go, but until then it sounds like you guys at least have a more equitable system now.

After living down here for the past 25 years, despite the gangs in east Salinas I would never go back to Sonoma County.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 02-25-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Old 02-25-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Thank buddy. It was your video that showed me, and probably a lot of us, this was our new reality so thanks for that! You're welcome to pick my brain anytime. If you want I could get you out on my buddies private range one of these days and we could chop it up. Regardless, Ill probably put up another detailed post here when/if everything goes through (or doesn't for whatever reason). I don't want to jinx myself in the meantime...

That's pretty much it when it comes to good cause. This is just my own assumptions based on what I have experienced so far, but I think what they are primarily looking for is someone who can put together a few clear and coherent sentences explaining exactly why they have this need to carry deadly force in their waste band (or whatever), and why granting this ability will not further increase the burden on law enforcement. Folks need to ask themselves what am I doing that could make me a target, and why cant this be reasonably avoided?

Itís a tough one to judge. Because itís truly a case by case judgement call for each applicant. I agree that a very coherent and well written GC statement is key.

My statement was well written and very short and was NOT packed with a detailed list as to why. I stated very vaguely that I travel and hike frequently and take night stroll with my children. Of course I had other causes to carry but again they were all very vague but to the point.

After submitting I almost felt like I self sabotaged myself given the lack of detail I left out after going through everyones posts and advice. But I had 3 amazing letters of references that might have made up for that shortcoming.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I am going to use Cody Andrade. He does one on one, and his scheduling is more flexible. I have a lot of time constraints and obligations so getting a whole weekend for a class would end up costing me more than the extra fee for the one on one.
Good thinking.

Even though I have some time before I have to worry I would like to consider a class like his for renewal. If and when you take it. Please lend some insight on your experience

Cheers. And good luck.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Good thinking.

Even though I have some time before I have to worry I would like to consider a class like his for renewal. If and when you take it. Please lend some insight on your experience

Cheers. And good luck.
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. The only thing so far about him is his range requires lead free ammo, 150-200 rds per firearm. Anything I have found is limited quantities, and like $30 a box (50ct). He said he had rounds for sale at 20$ per box of 50 which is more reasonable, but I have an aversion to expensive ammo while I have a perfectly good stockpile of range worthy ammo at home that cost me half as much.
Old 02-25-2020, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. The only thing so far about him is his range requires lead free ammo, 150-200 rds per firearm. Anything I have found is limited quantities, and like $30 a box (50ct). He said he had rounds for sale at 20$ per box of 50 which is more reasonable, but I have an aversion to expensive ammo while I have a perfectly good stockpile of range worthy ammo at home that cost me half as much.
Ouch. That’s a hefty increase in cost and I’m sure being a personal one on one class that it’s a bit more cost as well. What range does he use.

Last edited by 707caz; 02-25-2020 at 2:00 PM..
Old 02-26-2020, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Ouch. Thatís a hefty increase in cost and Iím sure being a personal one on one class that itís a bit more cost as well. What range does he use.
I think he said he shoots at a private range at Martinellis Winery.
Old 02-26-2020, 6:46 AM

Quote:
I think he said he shoots at a private range at Martinellis Winery.
I might have to contact him. I know heís been head of security out there at the winery for a long long time and I actually interviewed out there when I was a teenager and he had to cart me around to get me to the interview and show me around. But that was 20 sum years ago.

I own property out there and although the last class I took was wonderful and have no complaints other then I had to drive to Richmond for the range portion of the class.

Very interested in hearing your experience. Have a good day
Old 02-26-2020, 2:51 PM

Just figured out you can check the status of your livescan.
You just need the Ten Digit ATI number hand written by whoever took your prints.

Mine says completed CA,FBI, Firearms. No word from Sheriff yet....

https://www.certifixlivescan.com/faq...check-results/
Old 02-26-2020, 8:39 PM

26 days in and waiting. Lolol.
Old 02-27-2020, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
26 days in and waiting. Lolol.

Should have it just in time for summer!
Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Should have it just in time for summer!
Or to move outta here Lolol.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just think as it will be an early Christmas present.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull View Post
Just think as it will be an early Christmas present.
Lol. Hope itís sooner than that Lolol.
Old 02-28-2020, 9:02 AM

I'm 60 days in on my 90 day wait. Nary a peep so far.
Old 02-29-2020, 2:47 PM

I’m wondering how many permits are actually being issued.

Any body here partake in sportsmans warehouse ballon pop event today??

Been looking for another carry gun and decided I would go and see if I could get a decent discount or at least enough to cover taxes. Ended up walking with a free purdy XD-45 compact that I have been eyeing for sometime to add to my permit

Couldn’t believe it. Still in shock
Old 02-29-2020, 3:36 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I scored 20% off at Sportsman's. Just bought a bunch of reloading supplies I needed, but still saved me a bit less than 60 bucks.

I would have been bummed out if I got the 100% off one, because I decided against buying the Leupold scope that was already on clearance at a better-than-optics-planet price that I don't really need but wanted.

Congrats!
Old 03-01-2020, 9:35 PM

Ok. All I've got left is the class. Anyone know what the course of fire is for the qualification shoot? Also, anyone take the class at G4 Firearms in Larkfield Wikiup? Care to offer a review? Not sure where they do their live fire portion.
Old 03-02-2020, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyc View Post
Ok. All I've got left is the class. Anyone know what the course of fire is for the qualification shoot? Also, anyone take the class at G4 Firearms in Larkfield Wikiup? Care to offer a review? Not sure where they do their live fire portion.
Not first person, but a buddy took it and said it was pretty good. He does live fire up on private property about 15 minutes away.

Did you complete the livescan? I am waiting on that portion... how long did it take?
Old 03-02-2020, 6:55 AM

Default Sonoma

Hi all! I'm a former Santa Rosa resident that's moved to the town of Sonoma. I'm still a member at the Ukiah Rifle and Pistol Club, but it's a 2 hr drive from my new place.

Is Richmond the only option for a range closer to downtown Sonoma? I'd appreciate any info from knowledgeable locals. Thanks!

FWIW, I got my permit last summer, and I couldn't be happier with our "new" Sheriff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by LumpySR; 03-02-2020 at 6:58 AM..
Old 03-02-2020, 8:41 AM

707illa, my live scan took about 2 weeks to return, but they warned me that it can take a lot longer. I did a live scan for work a year earlier, so I knew there wouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-02-2020, 8:50 AM

Quote:
707illa, my live scan took about 2 weeks to return, but they warned me that it can take a lot longer. I did a live scan for work a year earlier, so I knew there wouldn't be a problem.
Thank you!
I have done one a few years ago for work, as well as TSA Pre check, so I should be good. Hopefully they get mine back soon.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you!
I have done one a few years ago for work, as well as TSA Pre check, so I should be good. Hopefully they get mine back soon.
Im thinking mine should go easy too Iíd hope. I've gotten my passport and pre TSA all within the last few years.
My pretsa I had my number in less than 2 weeks.

Also who is the guy at UGC that does the classes. I remember someone talking about him and that he was good.

I still at least 45 days away before them even reviewing my app. But it doesnít hurt to get my ducks in a row.

Good luck everyone.
Old 03-02-2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
I'd call that class and ask what they do.

There is no state shooting standard that I can find. Most seem to do a mag at 3/5/7/10 per gun (or something around that), no time limit, no holster drawing.
Old 03-03-2020, 6:57 AM

I used crosshair in santa rosa, the old guy at UGC is no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
Im thinking mine should go easy too Iíd hope. I've gotten my passport and pre TSA all within the last few years.
My pretsa I had my number in less than 2 weeks.

Also who is the guy at UGC that does the classes. I remember someone talking about him and that he was good.

I still at least 45 days away before them even reviewing my app. But it doesnít hurt to get my ducks in a row.

Good luck everyone.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven.westernretail@gmai View Post
I used crosshair in santa rosa, the old guy at UGC is no comparison.
I used crosshairs as well.

I really liked Dennis. Great guy and very personable. I just wasnít a fan at having to drive all the way to Richmond to the range.
Old 03-05-2020, 8:43 AM

My status just changed to "Assigned to Processor / Processing Order". I'm at about 65 days in so it looks like they're catching up on the backlog.
Old 03-06-2020, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P220forever View Post
My status just changed to "Assigned to Processor / Processing Order". I'm at about 65 days in so it looks like they're catching up on the backlog.
Congrats and good luck!
I am 3 weeks out from having done my LiveScan appointment... Still no word back yet since then.
Old 03-06-2020, 9:24 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Excellent to hear!

First I've heard of Crosshairs. I'll have to do some looking and reading.

I see G4 Firearms doing frequent classes with something like 8 or 10 people in most of them, and I guess he's got a private range they do the shooting portion at just outside of Rosa?
Old 03-06-2020, 12:09 PM

I'm a member at URPC and was going to take the CCW class up there in Ukiah.
Does anybody know the prices of the various classes? If I can find a cheaper class here I could save myself the one hour drive each way.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P220forever View Post
I'm a member at URPC and was going to take the CCW class up there in Ukiah.
Does anybody know the prices of the various classes? If I can find a cheaper class here I could save myself the one hour drive each way.
The class at URPC is taught by Ray Higbee and I believe now with another gentleman. It's $100 plus an additional $10 per additional firearm you want to qualify with.

Note: This was the price June of last year. Doubt it has increased.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You are not going to get anything cheaper than the UGC prices.
Old 03-06-2020, 1:26 PM

Does Ray's class qualify for UT or AZ?
Old 03-09-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc357 View Post
The class at URPC is taught by Ray Higbee and I believe now with another gentleman. It's $100 plus an additional $10 per additional firearm you want to qualify with.

Note: This was the price June of last year. Doubt it has increased.
Thanks dgc357. Appreciate that.

Update: I got an email from Lt. Salas Saturday requesting additional documentation and attached that to my Permitium application.
Fingers crossed.