Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 86 8.41%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 682 66.73%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 24 2.35%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.40%
They will go out of business this year! 25 2.45%
Don't want anything to do with them! 160 15.66%
Voters: 1022. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2021, 10:44 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
Is the lunch situation still the same. Order in advance from Mother's Diner?
*** Please do NOT send your lunch orders by emailĖ you will need to call your order in! ***

The ONLY way to order lunches is by calling Concierge Department at the phone number below and pre order over the phone.

Phone Number to Call to Pre Order Box Lunch: 702.837.7433

For lunch you have the choice of either a $12 sandwich or a $12 salad.
Each sandwich comes with a side of macaroni salad, potato chips, fruit cup, and cookie.
The Sandwich options are:
-Turkey
-Ham
-Tuna
- Italian
- Roast Beef
Bread options:
-White Hoagie
-Wheat Hoagie
Cheese options:
-American
-Swiss
-Pepper Jack
-Monterey Jack

Salad options:
-Garden Salad with Tuna (tomato, onion, bell peppers, cucumber, ham, turkey)
-Chef Salad ((tomato, onion, bell peppers, cucumber, tuna)
Salad Dressing options:
-Ranch
-Blue Cheese
-Thousand Island
-Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette

Price is $12.00 per lunch
Phone Number to Call to Pre 702.837.7433 Order Box Lunch:

The ONLY way to order lunches is by calling Concierge Department at the phone number below and pre order over the phone.
*** Please do NOT send your lunch orders by emailĖ you will need to call your order in!
Old 04-14-2021, 1:44 PM

Huge help! Thank you
Old 04-15-2021, 7:39 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

NEW! Front Sight Trailer Menu also Saddlewest Box lunch menu.

Last edited by acegunnr; 04-21-2021 at 8:03 AM..
Old 04-15-2021, 9:35 PM

Last time I brought an ice chest and just kept supermarket sandwiches and drinks
Old 04-18-2021, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question for any other Knight members with CA version RIA 1911: it came with custom grip panels in a separate bag to swap out but on trying to do that it appears the regular panels are glued on somehow?? Not sure but i took out all 4 screws, tried to pry them off with my fingers, even gently pushed outward on them from the inside with a screwdriver, to no avail. I didn't use much force as i didn't want to damage anything. Has anyone else swapped these, is there some kind of adhesive or do i just need to use more force to get them off?
Old 04-18-2021, 1:18 PM

Can't help you with that but, can you tell me what exact model that RIA gun is? I don't see any RIA guns on the roster.

Old 04-18-2021, 1:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
Can't help you with that but, can you tell me what exact model that RIA gun is? I don't see any RIA guns on the roster.
just know it's a match grade 1911
Old 04-18-2021, 3:19 PM

Does anyone have the 4 day Precision Rifle shooting distances? I am making up a blank dope list so I can fill in the drop and wind. This is my first time taking the class and I don't know how many locations are shot from.

There was a good write up awhile ago about gear. I have been trying to find it again. It must have been awhile ago. Not sure it listed the various distances though? I will keep looking and hope one of you have those distances.

Found it. Thanks beanz2
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...t=800&page=311

Last edited by TeamAllen; 04-18-2021 at 3:55 PM..
Old 04-18-2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntrust View Post
Question for any other Knight members with CA version RIA 1911: it came with custom grip panels in a separate bag to swap out but on trying to do that it appears the regular panels are glued on somehow?? Not sure but i took out all 4 screws, tried to pry them off with my fingers, even gently pushed outward on them from the inside with a screwdriver, to no avail. I didn't use much force as i didn't want to damage anything. Has anyone else swapped these, is there some kind of adhesive or do i just need to use more force to get them off?
I just swapped mine out. They were a little sticky, but nothing a little nudge didn’t solve. Any adhesive effect is probably varnish and/or the factory gun oil sticking to the wood. Gently up the mechanical persuasion factor. My wood stock panels have an indentation ring around the screw holes on the back side, so they were wrenched on there tight enough to make the indentations.

Last edited by Muzz; 04-18-2021 at 6:54 PM.. Reason: Added information.
Old 04-18-2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Itís called a Pro Match Ultra FS, model 51434. On the roster itís under Armscor Precision. Although I seem to remember finding the exact model on the roster last week, I canít seem to locate it now. It may be simply listed without the model number. Some have them, some donít.
Old 04-19-2021, 5:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I just swapped mine out. They were a little sticky, but nothing a little nudge didnít solve. Any adhesive effect is probably varnish and/or the factory gun oil sticking to the wood. Gently up the mechanical persuasion factor. My wood stock panels have an indentation ring around the screw holes on the back side, so they were wrenched on there tight enough to make the indentations.
As i suspected, thanks much for confirming that!
Old 04-19-2021, 7:32 AM

Quote:
VW, call pro shop, they have pistol in display case

PM me for your Front Sight needs
Old 04-19-2021, 8:29 AM

Wanted to share with FS friends- I run Noisefighter's ear cups on my Peltor 300s and while I love the comfort and eypro cut outs, they get sweaty from wearing them ALL DAY LONG at FS.
Just got an email about earcup covers (Heatsynks) that may alleviate this issue - and a $25 off coupon HEATSYNC https://noisefighters.com
I am aware that their gear adds up to more than my Peltor 300s do, but to me it is worth every penny!
I am not affiliated with Noisefighters in any way.

Last edited by Mezcalfud; 04-19-2021 at 8:32 AM..
Old 04-19-2021, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Itís called a Pro Match Ultra FS, model 51434. On the roster itís under Armscor Precision. Although I seem to remember finding the exact model on the roster last week, I canít seem to locate it now. It may be simply listed without the model number. Some have them, some donít.
Thank you.

Old 04-21-2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalfud View Post
Wanted to share with FS friends- I run Noisefighter's ear cups on my Peltor 300s and while I love the comfort and eypro cut outs, they get sweaty from wearing them ALL DAY LONG at FS.
Just got an email about earcup covers (Heatsynks) that may alleviate this issue - and a $25 off coupon HEATSYNC https://noisefighters.com
I am aware that their gear adds up to more than my Peltor 300s do, but to me it is worth every penny!
I am not affiliated with Noisefighters in any way.
I used the 3M gel ear cups and had the same hot, sweaty results and switched to in-ears and have been very happy. Still bring the muffs along as a backup.
Old 04-21-2021, 4:34 PM

Just signed up for the 2-Day Handgun Skill Builder on 6/22. I know it's going to be HOT, but it's the only chance I'll get to get out there before the fall with my work and grad schools schedule. I can deal with the heat for 2 days. 4 days would probably start to suck though.
Old 04-21-2021, 5:24 PM

I was hoping by posting this it might help out anyone who may be flying out to Front Sight for their first time for a handgun class. I’ve been to Front Sight four times in the last year. Drove out the first two-times and flew the last two times and packed exactly what I’ve listed below. Everything listed below (including things that aren't listed like toiletries, other clothing, etc., but just wanted to list what I use during the class/on the range) fits into a 24” hard-sided suitcase that I check and a 5.11 Rush 24 backpack (37 liters) that is my carry-on and also doubles as my range bag. I have also packed a medium-sized range bag in my suitcase and used a separate carry-on, but it was redundant, and using the Rush 24 as both my carry-on and range bag freed up more space in the suitcase. I've used the below packing list last October and this past March and had temps in the low 30's in October and high 30's/low 40's in the mornings in March. For the October trip I even had enough space in my suitcase to pack a pair of Vasque insulated hiking boots and was very happy I packed them). Otherwise I just wear the boots I'll be wearing during the class on the plane and don't take any other footwear besides a pair of flip flops that I pack.

Front Sight Packing List

Gear
- Range bag (I use a 5.11 Rush 24 that is also my carry-on bag)
- Hard-sided gun case w/ locks (only if flying, and goes inside your hard-sided checked suitcase)
- Firearm(s)
- Magazines (4-6 for each handgun)
- Holster that fits each firearm
- Double-mag pouch for each firearm/type of magazine (different size mags may need different size mag pouches)
- Gear belt
- Eye protection
- Uplula speed loader (game changer, especially if you have CA 10-round mags or a 1911))
- Electronic Hearing protection (I use in-ears and bring a set of muffs as a backup)
- Small cleaning kit (bore snake, tiny bottle of Hoppe’s, silicon impregnated cloth (Hoppe’s cloths), lube, q-tips and a few patches) Here’s a link to the bottles I use for the Hoppe’s: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Multi-tool
- Shooting gloves (only used for COLD mornings) PIG have really treated me well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Fleece gloves (for cold mornings when sitting around)
- Butt pad for chair (I pack this in my checked suitcase. Really makes the folding chairs on the range more comfortable) Here’s a link to something similar to what I have:
- https://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Sport...t=&hvlocphy=90)

Clothing
- Shoes/boots (something with good support will be appreciated by day 3 of a 4 day class)
- Cargo/Tactical Pants x2 (I'll wear each pair for 2 days of class)
- Underwear
- Socks
- T-shirts
- Long sleeve button-down shirt to use for concealment if hot out
- Fleece jacket (used this for concealment on colder days)
- Long underwear (silkweight or lightweight – game changer on cold, windy days)
- Ball cap
- Knit Beanie w/ brim (game changer last time when it was cold!) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Neck gaiter
- Patagonia expedition weight fleece ľ zip shirt
- Insulated jacket (great when it’s windy and you’re sitting down for lectures)

I pack my firearms in an Apache Case (Pelican knock off) from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/2800-w...IjoiMTkuOTkifQ I use the medium case (Apache 2800) and get rid of the two pieces of “pick and pull” foam and just keep the two thin pieces that are on the top and bottom. I put each firearm in it’s own US PeaceKeeper pistol case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 inside the Apache case. The pistol cases get locked and then I lock the Apache case with the pistols inside, all with non-TSA locks. There is still room in the Apache case for my electronic ears, UpLULA speed loader, holster and mag pouch for at least one firearm, so no space is wasted.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 04-21-2021 at 6:16 PM..
Old 04-21-2021, 7:33 PM

I didn't see ammo. With prices now super-high on site, it sounds best to "pack it in"; right? Did you take ammo in March? You might be able to fly with enough ammo, depending on the particular airline; but it would impact the packing plan...
Old 04-21-2021, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-CV View Post
I didn't see ammo. With prices now super-high on site, it sounds best to "pack it in"; right? Did you take ammo in March? You might be able to fly with enough ammo, depending on the particular airline; but it would impact the packing plan...
I have a lot of ammo at home, but still bought my Ammo out there from Ammo Supply Warehouse and picked it up when I got there. Was around .70-.80 cents per round. I wouldn't have been able to fly with the full amount I needed for the class because the airline (Southwest) has a weight restriction on ammo. Would have been about 100 rounds shy. I also didn't want to dip into my supply at home because I rationalized that although ammo is expensive now, there's always a chance it may get even more expensive in the future, especially with everything that's going on in the world.

Ended up coming home with a box of ammo since I bought 500 rounds and shot 450 rounds in the class.

I'll probably bring my own ammo in June for the 2-Day Skill Builder.

I'll still be able to pack the ammo and have room for it. I really dialed in my packing plan and still had some extra room last time I flew. When I was there in October the winter boots and range bag took up quite a bit of space. In March I didnt need the winter boots and also didn't have a range bag in my suitcase since my carry-on doubled as the range bag.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 04-21-2021 at 8:18 PM..
Old 04-22-2021, 5:05 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Front Sight Packing List

<snip>
Gear
- Range bag (I use a 5.11 Rush 24 that is also my carry-on bag)
<snip>
I would NOT recommend using your range bag as a carry-on bag. Too much can go wrong here.
Old 04-22-2021, 7:51 AM

Default Definitely Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
I would NOT recommend using your range bag as a carry-on bag. Too much can go wrong here.
Very good advice. I used to use my range backpack as a carry on and very thoroughly inspected it before each flight to make sure there was nothing left inside. But there was still residue on the bag and on one flight at TSA I ended up pulled off to the side to be patted down and a thorough search made of everything I was carrying. The problem was that by the time I finally got through and on the plane, all overhead bin space was already taken... and I think I ended up with a middle seat!
Old 04-22-2021, 8:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Agree with the two posts above. During a four day class, loose rounds get spilled inside the bag, magazines slip into the deepest recesses, etc. Many things can go wrong and all the takes to get you into trouble is a power tripping TSA agent.

If you really have to use the same bag as a carry-on, be sure to “sterilize” it thoroughly. We have always managed to leave a round or two in our cargo pants that from now on, we always change to another pair of pants before we board a flight.

Certainly not something you want to do when you have to catch a 7 PM flight when the class ends at 5 PM.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 04-22-2021, 1:40 PM

Default Good tips

Bunch of good tips:

Packing checklist
Thoroughly sterilize your gear before flying!
Ammo Supply Warehouse
Old 04-23-2021, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Done it already and no issues. I see what you're saying, but I'm very thorough I go through the bag thoroughly the night before I fly out the next morning. Maybe it will bite me one day, we'll see.

As far as "tool much" potentially going wrong. Only thing I can see going wrong is having a stray round rolling around the bag, and yes that can lead to a pretty big headache with TSA and even missing your flight. But if you're thorough and a responsible gun owner you take measures to prevent this from happening. My firearms are obviously always locked in a hard case in my checked luggage. So are all my magazines, which are always emptied before leaving the range the last day and then checked again before packing everything the night before flying home.

If you're someone who doesn't trust yourself and are careless with your ammo, gear and just throw everything in bags, and don't remember how many magazines you brought, etc, then you probably should not use you're carry on as a range bag.

I understand what you're saying if someone is careless, but when flying with firearms I'm very serious about packing my bags and have a system and lay everything out the night before. Heck, I made a freakin' checklist of what I take. A bit anal retentive probably compared to most, so I'm not worried. Gunpowder residue is something to worry about though, but it hasn't been an issue.

I've had friends get their bags flagged, pulled off the line and padded down for having yogurt in their bag. Point is many things will force them to flag. Also getting their early will make up for this if it happens. And to a previous poster, I always slide my bag under the seat. I nearly never put my bag in the overhead bin. Also never fly wearing the same clothing I wore on the range.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 04-23-2021 at 1:21 PM..
Old 04-23-2021, 2:23 PM
CGN Contributor

Anybody going to FS next month and staying in Vegas? Holy crap, hotel prices are nuts. We need to find a place to stay near The Strip. My friend's girlfriend will spend her days there while we're at FS.
Old 04-26-2021, 5:38 PM

Might I suggest the old Silverton, which is now the Berkley, I think. Close enough to the strip and right there on the 160.
Old 04-26-2021, 7:09 PM

Check VRBO, Pahrump, NV.
Old 04-27-2021, 8:11 AM

I thought about it a bit, and although I've mentioned Iv'e had no issues using my carry-on pack as my range bag for the class I absolutely can see how it could cause issue and avoidable headaches at the airport when heading home. My main reasons for doing it were to try and take as little as possible out there with me when flying, but sometimes it just makes sense to take a little more just to assure a smooth trip through TSA.

I have a really nice range bag I have packed before, but it does take up a bit of space in my suitcase, so I ended up picking up an LA Police Gear Bail Out Bag. It was pretty cheap, seems to get great reviews and is pretty much all I need for a 2 or 4 day handgun class. Plus, it looks like it can sort of smash it down pretty flat to fit into my suitcase.
Old 04-28-2021, 8:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I thought about it a bit, and although I've mentioned Iv'e had no issues using my carry-on pack as my range bag for the class I absolutely can see how it could cause issue and avoidable headaches at the airport when heading home. My main reasons for doing it were to try and take as little as possible out there with me when flying, but sometimes it just makes sense to take a little more just to assure a smooth trip through TSA.

I have a really nice range bag I have packed before, but it does take up a bit of space in my suitcase, so I ended up picking up an LA Police Gear Bail Out Bag. It was pretty cheap, seems to get great reviews and is pretty much all I need for a 2 or 4 day handgun class. Plus, it looks like it can sort of smash it down pretty flat to fit into my suitcase.
The LA Police Gear Bail Out Bag is a pretty handy bag. I used it as a range bag often.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 05-02-2021, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I took a box cutter, and simply worked my way around the edges and pried it off. when I was putting them back together (we got 2 weapons) one of the screws as I was finishing the head stripped, so be careful tightening them down.

Knight of Front Sight
Old 05-03-2021, 7:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
I took a box cutter, and simply worked my way around the edges and pried it off. when I was putting them back together (we got 2 weapons) one of the screws as I was finishing the head stripped, so be careful tightening them down.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-04-2021, 2:08 PM

T-minus 10 days until 4 day Practical Rifle.
anyone else going to be out there next weekend?
Old 05-04-2021, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
I was going on 24-25th for Rifle Skill Builder, but now we're heading to Utah to meet our architect instead.

Constitutional Carry? Sign me up!

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 05-04-2021, 7:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
I'll be out there the weekend after that. I'm doing three days of private.
Old 05-05-2021, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No adhesive, just a tight fit, use a box cutter and work your way around and gently work off, again, the screws are soft, be carefull when you tighten them down.

Knight of Front Sight
Old 05-05-2021, 6:39 PM

Heading out for a quick trip in June for the 2-Day Handgun Skill Builder 6/22.