Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 07-14-2023, 5:59 PM

Default Marlin/Glenfield Model 25 plus some goodies.

I picked this thing up about a year ago and love it. with sub sonic .22, this thing is no louder than a mouse fart. Makes it good as a squirrel killer on my property. Thought some of you.... well seasoned gents would appreciate the time capsule of gun supplies that came with it. Everything looks like it was sold from an old store called Montgomery Ward. Not sure what that is, like a Sears I assume. The scope is from K-Mart of all places! The scope is damaged and the glass is misaligned. But other than that, it functions smooth and works flawlessly. I picked it up for about $130.

Get your power armor as fast as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up
Old 07-14-2023, 6:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Classic. Well done!
Montgomery Ward was a great department store. Had their names on lots of long guns made by one of the big companies. JC Penny's used to sell long guns too. Sears too. K-Mar sold guns and ammunition, used to be the go to place for stuff like a Model 60 or an early 10-22, or a .30 carbine for about $129.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 07-14-2023, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Montgomery Wards was a department store that sold all sorts of things. We had a Montgomery Wards branded VCR once upon a time.

Glenfield was Marlin's budget line that was sold thru other distributors that didn't specialize in guns. As I understand it, Marlins were sold in regular gun shops. Glenfields were meant to take advantage of well established non-gun distribution networks like department store chains, auto supply chains, etc.

I have a Glenfield model 20, which is a budget version of your Model 25. Mine does not have sling swivels and the front sight is a simple dovetail. But the humble little thing shoots great!

FYI magazines for these have gotten expensive! I paid $125 for my Model 20 with one magazine. I was at a gun show last year and saw a new in wrap magazine for sale so I just told the guy I'll take it. He warned me that those were no longer made and he wanted $75 for it! That's more than half the price I paid for the gun! Needless to say, I passed on it.
Old 07-14-2023, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
Montgomery Wards was a department store that sold all sorts of things. We had a Montgomery Wards branded VCR once upon a time.

Glenfield was Marlin's budget line that was sold thru other distributors that didn't specialize in guns. As I understand it, Marlins were sold in regular gun shops. Glenfields were meant to take advantage of well established non-gun distribution networks like department store chains, auto supply chains, etc.

I have a Glenfield model 20, which is a budget version of your Model 25. Mine does not have sling swivels and the front sight is a simple dovetail. But the humble little thing shoots great!

FYI magazines for these have gotten expensive! I paid $125 for my Model 20 with one magazine. I was at a gun show last year and saw a new in wrap magazine for sale so I just told the guy I'll take it. He warned me that those were no longer made and he wanted $75 for it! That's more than half the price I paid for the gun! Needless to say, I passed on it.
Oh yeah I found the magazine for mine and was shocked to see the price. I only paid $50 for it, but I figured it's better than nothing. My BIL goes into these flea market/pawn stores in Wisconsin all the time, found another one he gave me but it's rusty. I haven't tried to take it apart to clean and reblue it yet, but hopefully it works.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2023, 6:43 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

Yep, these old 22s are some of my favorite guns. Will run just about forever if decently cared for. House brands (often made by marlin), pre-SN, straight shooters, nice wood...
Old 07-14-2023, 7:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Beautiful gun and very well made to boot....

Got to love Monkey Wards

MLC, First 3
Old 07-14-2023, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

https://americanriflemagazines.com/p...71903-magazine

This is actually the company that made magazines for Marlin. With the last bankruptcy, they can now sell directly.
Old 07-14-2023, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
https://americanriflemagazines.com/p...71903-magazine

This is actually the company that made magazines for Marlin. With the last bankruptcy, they can now sell directly.
Thank you!

Quote:
Old 07-15-2023, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

I have a Marlin 25N. Very dependable and accurate. Put a 4x Redfield on it, shoots like a dream. Enjoy that 25.

MLC

Edit: That's some old, cool gear that you got with that rifle. You done good fella.

Last edited by pennstater; 07-15-2023 at 7:53 AM..
Old 07-15-2023, 12:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My first .22 was a Glenfield model 25. 1970 or so.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:50 AM

I am trying to figure out the year this one was made. Anyone have an idea on how to decode the serial number?

Quote:
Old 07-16-2023, 4:57 AM
Calguns Addict

It's fairly simple. Late 1968-1972 the serial starts with the date. So 71 is 1971.
Then they switched to a subtraction from 100. So if it starts with 24 you have a 1976.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i have a model 80 which is virtually identical

years ago my trigger shrunk and held the trigger down so it wouldnt cock had a bit of a fiasco cause i keep it loaded with shotshells for snakes

there is a bit of variation in the magazine latch since its on the magazine and it grabs a little stud in the mag well you may need to file the catch a bit if it does not snap in

my 2 magazines have metal followers and they hold 8

Last edited by bohoki; 07-16-2023 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-16-2023, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought one of those for $100 at a gunshow, and gifted it to my nephew as his first rifle. Gave him the safety class, took him to the range, and turned him loose. It is a wonderful little rifle, and accurate. Another shooter joins the ranks.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 07-17-2023, 8:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
i have a model 80 which is virtually identical

years ago my trigger shrunk and held the trigger down so it wouldnt cock had a bit of a fiasco cause i keep it loaded with shotshells for snakes

there is a bit of variation in the magazine latch since its on the magazine and it grabs a little stud in the mag well you may need to file the catch a bit if it does not snap in

my 2 magazines have metal followers and they hold 8
I still have my first firearm - it was a model 80! nice little rifle. I took and passed the local NRA hunter safety class and that was my reward. 10 years old.
I've had a couple of other Marlin .22'a and all have been good to great shooters.
I picked up a few magazines at gun shows over the years. They were usually cheap as the packaging was failing and looking bad. Also cheap since not 10-22 parts.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 07-18-2023, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Cool rifle. I have one of these.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 07-21-2023, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

I have the .22 Mag version. It was my Dad's. We each bought one at Gemco years ago, and I had passed mine along but inherited Dad's. It has a beautiful walnut stock with some grain and figure. I put a Rifle Basix trigger on it and it shoots very well with Super X 40 gr HPs.

Monkey Wards house brand of firearms was "Western Field." I have Dad's old Mossberg 146B .22 marked as a Western Field. Despite a terrible trigger, it shoots very well. Dad took it to high school metal shop class on the bus and made a new streamlined tube magazine cap for it. It is a full-size rifle, bigger than the Marlin. Came with both a receiver sight and the rear iron sight. The front sight has multiple tabs that can be used as the front sight - a post, a bead and a hollow circle.

Last edited by Calif Hunter; 07-21-2023 at 10:30 AM..