Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-28-2010, 5:03 PM

Default How Loud are Primers?

If a shell is loaded with just the primer and then "shot", how loud would that be?

If done in an uninsulated garage, will the neighbors flip out and would I get to esplain to "the man"?

Got Zydrate?

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

"All Californians, like all citizens of the United States, have a fundamental Constitutional right to keep and bear common and dangerous arms. The nationís Founders used arms for self-protection, for the common defense, for hunting food, and as a check against tyranny." Judge Benitez - March 2019
Old 12-28-2010, 5:07 PM

Go to the front door the police want to talk to you.
Old 12-28-2010, 5:41 PM

That would be illegal.
Old 12-28-2010, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

smack one with a hammer and find out
Hint... wear ear protection
Mike
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws donít protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 12-28-2010, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Louder than you would think.
Old 12-28-2010, 5:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can explain all you want but, it's better to remain sillent and not resist the arrest. After all, you would be illegally discharging a firearm. Even if you live in an area were it is legal to do so, I don't believe you can legally discharge a firearm close to an occupied dwelling. If you are inside the garage, you are obviously inside an occupide dwelling.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-28-2010, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

They're pretty loud... about that of a firecracker and nowhere NEAR as loud as an actual gunshot.
Old 12-28-2010, 6:17 PM
Banned

wait till you set off .50 primer......its a whole new experience....
Old 12-28-2010, 6:23 PM

Doesnt seem that loud:

primer only glue stick rounds:
(fast forward to 1:30)

Old 12-28-2010, 6:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't know about how loud it would be if fired from a gun but just a primer going off by itself within 3 feet of your face will make your ears ring for 10 minutes.
Old 12-28-2010, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb View Post
Mike
I just may try that Friday night.

Got Zydrate?

"All Californians, like all citizens of the United States, have a fundamental Constitutional right to keep and bear common and dangerous arms. The nationís Founders used arms for self-protection, for the common defense, for hunting food, and as a check against tyranny." Judge Benitez - March 2019
Old 12-28-2010, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Not very loud at all. Only a bit louder than an air rifle. -- Come to think of it the same as a 22 bb or cb round.
I shoot 22pellets in my 218 bee with only a primer. The neighbor has never heard it.
please do not take serious the striking one with a hammer, flying debris could be painful.
my ha-penny
Old 12-28-2010, 7:18 PM

I did set off a primer in my uninsulated garage one day, years ago. It was very loud and I am surprised that no one came to investigate. I would recommend against intentionally setting off a number of primers, as the neighbors would be sure to complain.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I remember it sounding like a 22 long rifle. Small rifle primer.
Old 12-28-2010, 8:18 PM

Wasn't there a CG'er who posted a thread about killing spiders or something with primed-only cases?
Old 12-28-2010, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Little bit louder than a cap gun.

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 12-28-2010, 8:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hint... wear ear protectionMike
and eye protection

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 12-28-2010, 8:50 PM

jeeze, its not that loud, certainly not as loud as a .22, but definately louder than a .22 CB. I presume that we are talking about loading a primed but otherwise unloaded case into your weapon and pulling the trigger. Most of my experience has been with Large Pistol Primers in my 1911. I have done it in the garage, plenty, and the neighbors dont notice / care. It is certainly more quiet to make yourself a glue or wax bullet. If you are that worried, hold the muzzle into a rag. Hell, I have even done it in the house pointed into the trash can. Be sure to warn the wife and send the dog to another room... Just dont do it where the neighbors can see. If the cops show up, just tell them you were getting a book off a high shelf and dropped it on a hard floor surface.
"I love it, its my second ammendment but we with the gun was the only thing between those guys and the oven and they still can't know this theys too dumb and I seen the ovens. They dont know it but they cant take all the guns and if ever, push ever comes to shove we'll be back." - Don Burgett
Old 12-28-2010, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
You can explain all you want but, it's better to remain sillent and not resist the arrest. After all, you would be illegally discharging a firearm. Even if you live in an area were it is legal to do so, I don't believe you can legally discharge a firearm close to an occupied dwelling. If you are inside the garage, you are obviously inside an occupide dwelling.
So does that mean it is illegal to use this http://www.eliteammunition.net/catal...14/7812222.htm in your own home for practice or to get rid of unwanted pest (meaning rats, mice, possums, etc) on your property?
Old 12-29-2010, 4:28 AM
Veteran Member

A primer set off in a chambered empty case is a bit on the loud side , and might attract attention...but using these ... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=489581 ... is not very loud and fun as hell in a garage. It basically sounds like you set off a primer in a pillow.

I have a box of 50 modified 44 mag cases ( You drill the primer flash hole oversized so the primers dont back out and jam up the cylinder ) and empty the box of 50 either in the garage or backyard once in a while. I use a trap to catch the rubber projectiles , and have reused them many many times.

My Beeman air rifle has about the same report as these using standard LP primers.

Old 12-29-2010, 6:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelocris View Post
So does that mean it is illegal to use this http://www.eliteammunition.net/catal...14/7812222.htm in your own home for practice or to get rid of unwanted pest (meaning rats, mice, possums, etc) on your property?
Of course that would be illegal if it's illegal to discharge a firearm at that time and/or at that location.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-29-2010, 7:03 AM
Calguns Addict

It's not that loud. In a garage, yes because your indoors. But it's not loud at all.
Old 12-29-2010, 7:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

No one ever comes to look for one gunshot...

When I was young and dumb I tested this theory a lot using a starter pistol in a lot of public places where I really shouldn't have (it was a very stupid thing to do looking back, and I highly recommend not doing it, had I realized the potential legal consequences I would never have done it).

one bang, no one investigates,

two + bangs, people go look what it was.

that said,
Don't do it.. get a snap cap they are cheaper than a lawyer.

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 12-29-2010, 7:37 AM

I've had a primer go off right toward my face once. It wasn't pleasant, and it certainly was loud. I was using one of those cheap Lee reloading kits that require you to use a mallet to resize, prime, and seat the bullet. This was my first time reloading, and I didn't realize there was a piece of corncob media stuck in the primer pocket...and that darn primer just wouldn't seat correctly no matter how hard I whacked that thing...then BANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
The distance is 150 yards, IIRC, and I'm fairly certain that's only for hunting, and doesn't apply if you're the owner of the dwelling or have permission from the owner. Within city limits, it's definitely a no-no, since of course, you're going to be within 150yds from plenty of neighbors, many of which have probably not given you permission to discharge a firearm near their house.

Last edited by Chris M; 12-29-2010 at 7:40 AM..
Old 12-29-2010, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I just may try that Friday night.
Okay, I couldn't wait. Now that was cool!!

Middl of Penasquitos and I just "had to" test five of them. My brittanys just stood there and looked at me. Had the look of "hey dummy, we gettin in the truck and gittin us some birds, or what?"

Got Zydrate?

Old 12-29-2010, 8:59 AM

So hitting a primer with a hammer isn't really "discharging a firearm", now is it?

Got Zydrate?

Old 12-29-2010, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post
No one ever comes to look for one gunshot...

When I was young and dumb I tested this theory a lot using a starter pistol in a lot of public places where I really shouldn't have (it was a very stupid thing to do looking back, and I highly recommend not doing it, had I realized the potential legal consequences I would never have done it).

one bang, no one investigates,

two + bangs, people go look what it was.

that said,
Don't do it.. get a snap cap they are cheaper than a lawyer.
One bang can be excused away as "those damn kids with a firecracker."

More than one becomes...okay is this something I should be worried about?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So hitting a primer with a hammer isn't really "discharging a firearm", now is it?
OK I was the guy that said hit it with a hammer. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that out load. The guy that added eye protection was probably right. That said, I have "disposed " of primers with a hammer and anvil. I used a three pound sledge hammer pretty much dropped under its own weight. I always found the primer intact under the hammer head. Intact and flat that is. Now to the question... Seems like CA law states that a firearm is a device that expels a projectile with the force of an explosion. It is different from the federal definition that excludes blackpowder instruments that are loaded with individual components. No projectile no firearm, though there maybe fireworks issues.
I've said here before that I have stopped shooting my firecracker cannon for holidays. I was concerned that the little piece of papertowel wadding could be construed as a projectile. People on the forum accused me of being an old fart that didn't have any fun any more...
that could be true
Mike
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws donít protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 12-29-2010, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Default No big deal.

Quote:
If a shell is loaded with just the primer and then "shot", how loud would that be?

If done in an uninsulated garage, will the neighbors flip out and would I get to esplain to "the man"?
It would sound about as loud as one of those small firecrackers, the kind you buy all tied together in a package, no way as loud as a Cherry Bomb, Ash Can, etc. Think a cap gun roll smacked with a hammer when you were a kid, the ones that went off together, about that loud. Smells just like a cap gun cap going off as well.

No way would a neighbor notice, well, unless you kept doing it over and over.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
I've had a primer go off right toward my face once. It wasn't pleasant, and it certainly was loud. I was using one of those cheap Lee reloading kits that require you to use a mallet to resize, prime, and seat the bullet. This was my first time reloading, and I didn't realize there was a piece of corncob media stuck in the primer pocket...and that darn primer just wouldn't seat correctly no matter how hard I whacked that thing...then BANG!
Haha, I have had the same thing happen to me, using the same Lee hand loader. Not sure if it was media stuck in the pocket, or what. But one too many whacks and BANG! I'm glad I was wearing eye protection; I got a face full of debris, and my ears rang nicely.
Old 12-30-2010, 5:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Not as loud as smacking an entire ring of these caps:
(I tell my boys, "Just one at a time!" but boys will be boys...)

Shoot the primer into a rag like someone suggested and it will be reduced to a 'pop.'
Old 12-30-2010, 5:58 AM
Calguns Addict

In a nutshell: Loud like a .22, but not loud enough to freak out the neighbors.
Old 12-30-2010, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Okay, I couldn't wait. Now that was cool!!

Middl of Penasquitos and I just "had to" test five of them. My brittanys just stood there and looked at me. Had the look of "hey dummy, we gettin in the truck and gittin us some birds, or what?"
I'm in Scripps - I was wondering what that noise was...

j/k
Old 12-30-2010, 7:50 PM
CGSSA Associate

I've fired a shotgun shell with just a primer in it at the range, still noisy enough to not want to do it at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 12-30-2010, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I know a guy who put a .45 through his hand firing a 'primer' through a rag...

Took a phone call in between loading and firing.....forgot what he had loaded it with... and whoops

he got very lucky.... missed the bones and important stuff..

if you do pop a primer into a rag, don't put your hand in front of the barrel...

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 12-30-2010, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Mike
2nd that. I've done it before. It sounds less than a firecracker.
Old 12-30-2010, 8:12 PM

Exclamation no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
In a nutshell: Loud like a .22, but not loud enough to freak out the neighbors.
no it is not that loud...
"I love it, its my second ammendment but we with the gun was the only thing between those guys and the oven and they still can't know this theys too dumb and I seen the ovens. They dont know it but they cant take all the guns and if ever, push ever comes to shove we'll be back." - Don Burgett
Old 12-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

not as loud as a cap gun.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief-7700 View Post
Little bit louder than a cap gun.

This.

I don't get the people that say it's LOUD. What primers are you setting off? I had a small rifle magnum go off on me once on my press and I won't say it's deafening. I was actually surprised that it's not THAT loud. Sounds like a cap gun X 3.
Old 12-31-2010, 6:39 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK4me View Post
That would be illegal.
BS.
I have checked primer strikes due to spring changes many times.
Drill out the flash hole in representative caliber. If you do not the primer pressure will back the primer out and lock up a revolver. Load primers. Go into a walk in closet and fire away, toward the floor. the only grief you will get will be from your wife. Don't do this outside lest your neighbors freak.
This is better than having at misfire at the range. I replaced the hammer on a Black hawk with the lower Super black hawk hammer ,but you have to file down the top step by.020 Then check for misfires and file more if necessary and check again.

Last edited by thomashoward; 07-01-2015 at 12:17 PM..