Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 10-09-2019, 8:26 AM

Default S110V

I am close to pulling the trigger on the blue S110V Para3 for $130. I really want a "super steel," but how does it compare to M390, S35VN, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2019, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

https://knifeinformer.com/discoverin...t-knife-steel/

All I got...
Old 10-09-2019, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Nice find.That should answer most folks questions. I look at knife steel,sooner or later, if one uses the blade, it will have to be sharpened. Like haven to shine a pair of shoes that need bringing back to life.
How easily will it sharpen depends on the steel and the users skill. Some folks go for the exotic steel I feel for bragging rights. There are folks that fell differently Im sure. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j15w View Post
I am close to pulling the trigger on the blue S110V Para3 for $130.
I have one knife in S110V--a Manix 2.
It's not as difficult to sharpen as some might have you believe. For my purposes, I'm not as fond of it when finished to sub-micron finish. I like it between 400-1000 grit. Diamond plates cut the material very nicely and leave a toothy edge.

The edge remains sharp for a while. Truthfully, I'm OCD about edges and always resharpen the blade before it gets bad. When I set the bevel to 17 per side, I notice some microscopic chipping along the edge after medium use, but the edge still has a toothy/sharp feel. After that I went to 17.5, but maybe I'm just reacting to a non-problem.

I have a couple new stones in the mail that my sensei says will create a better edge than the diamonds. Ask me in a week or so.

So set aside any concerns over S110V. It's an exceptional material for knife blades. When you get to this level, arguing the merits of one steel over another is akin to arguing angels dancing on the head of a pin.
Old 10-11-2019, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

I had a Manix2 light S110V and it cut great. I didn't get a chance to sharpen it. Got rid of it because I didn't like the FRN. Have a Yojimbo2 in S90V that I love. Still sharp after a lot of cardboard. I'm not that picky... I still love ELMAX.