Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Riverside Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2016, 11:03 PM

Default Hearing shooting near Sun City?

My dad lives off McCall and Sun City BLVD near the old folks neighborhood.

Anyway, he's been telling me he's hearing gun shots all day the past 2 days somewhere near Goetz/ethanac area...

Any ideas? It has to be private property because the police would have already shut it down...
Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 PM

There is a BLM property North of Canyon Lake.

Weather or not shooting is allowed there... Couldn't tell you.

"Typically" target shooting IS allowed on BLM land so long as it meats safety and distance from road/structure requirements.

Also last I heard a fire restriction was still in place in that area, but I haven't checked in a while so it may have been lifted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (19.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by ZeroHour; 12-13-2016 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: added image
Old 12-13-2016, 10:47 PM

Yup, I can confirm what your dad said. I live at the east end of Canyon Lake and I heard someone shooting in the Quail Valley area all day Sunday. It sounded like several shooters, and they were there all day.

If I am correct, that area does not meet the distance requirements from housing, and since it is BLM land, it falls under the fire restrictions in Riverside County that have not been lifted yet.

Was it any of you CalGunners's? I was jealous.

Last edited by WWIIBuff; 12-13-2016 at 10:51 PM..
Old 12-16-2016, 4:22 PM

I dug a little deeper into that square of BLM land north of Canyon lake.

It does appear to be large enough to be able to shoot there. Its actually almost the same size as the Steele Peak shooting area, although Steele Peak is longer and narrower.

The main problem is that you technically cant access the Canyon Lake property without trespassing on private land. In addition to that Canyon Lake is a reservoir, therefore shooting within 1000 ft of it would be considered "in conflict with other uses" due to the whole lead and drinking water thing.

So even IF you could get written permission to cross the private land, its VERY unlikely BLM will allow shooting there due to the reservoir.

Finally, at the time of this post the fire restrictions are STILL in place to the best of my knowledge.
Old 12-17-2016, 5:07 AM

It hasn't been legal to shoot in the "badlands" north of Canyon Lake since at least the early 90's.

When I lived in Moreno Valley I used to park at the end of River Rd. past the Railway Museum in south Perris and unload the dirtbikes and my friends and I would ride south all the way to Lake Elsinore and grab lunch at the In-N-Out at Railroad Cnyn Rd /I-15 before heading back.

People used to shoot in those hills, but it wasn't legal. Also hard to get back there, hence the "badlands" reference. Great for off-roading though. I also remember when SCE (?) had to go out there and install concrete shrouds around some of the power poles because of all the damage to the base of the poles where shooters would hang their targets.

It's been about fifteen years since I've gone back there.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

I live right off Ethanac. I go hiking in the hills between Goetz and Murrieta Road regularly. I see shells, brass and beer cans all the time around there.

This is right by Quail Valley which should tell you everything you need to know.

About 2 years ago I took my truck and parked at the base of the hills there because I didn't feel like starting the hike right at my house. Was only hiking about an hour and a half. As I was returning to my truck a cop was just leaving after having (I assume) checked out my vehicle to make sure it wasn't stolen or somebody wasn't waiting to do a drug deal or something. Its a pretty crappy area the second you get out of the cookie cutter neighborhood on Goetz and Ethanac.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 01-13-2017, 7:55 PM

Maybe you are hearing the shooting from Wren's Ranch? I live in Canyon Lake and can hear shots on weekend mornings.
Old 01-13-2017, 9:12 PM
Calguns Addict

My sister had a place in Canyon Lake when they first built it and my parents had a place by Newport & Murieta - used to shoot at both places a lot. Looking at the map both places have gotten crowded.
Old 03-23-2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
There is a BLM property North of Canyon Lake.

Weather or not shooting is allowed there... Couldn't tell you.

"Typically" target shooting IS allowed on BLM land so long as it meats safety and distance from road/structure requirements.

Also last I heard a fire restriction was still in place in that area, but I haven't checked in a while so it may have been lifted.

Awesome dude, you live in QV too? What about that place that looks behind circle k, it shows its BLM, ever try to shoot there?
Old 03-23-2017, 4:46 PM

Hmmmm i doubt it i called BLM and they said the only place to sgoot near by is san diego, hodge road, ot indio so i dont think theres any places left to shoot in riverside county
Old 03-23-2017, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Could of been

https://youtu.be/BC34JqWVFi0
Old 03-23-2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris300zx6 View Post
Awesome dude, you live in QV too? What about that place that looks behind circle k, it shows its BLM, ever try to shoot there?
There is no legal shooting on any of the BLM land in the Quail Valley/Menifee/Canyon Lake vicinity.

I used to shoot in the hills north of that area and south of Ethanac Rd some twenty years ago, but it got shut down to shooting in the mid to late 90's.