Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 06-12-2021, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Unless you're Mosinvirus - I'm convinced that dude could build an airplane with a file.
Only if it has at least 1 safe edge.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Old 06-12-2021, 7:08 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Slide swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
When the slide and barrel go into lockup there will be some wear on the muzzle end of the barrel. Eventually, that wear will allow the barrel to be sloppy affecting POI. Without a "bearing surface" (bushing), what's the solution except to replace both the barrel and slide after tolerances become too great?

I also have to admit that in my prior post, I was thinking of something else in the way the slide and barrel lock up. I overlooked the fact that the slide can't go forward uncontrolled if the barrel is still held in place. Also, a failure of the link pin can happen to any pistol so that's not exclusive to a cut down and bushingless slide.

So based on your theory wouldnít it be easier to just fit a new barrel then replace the entire slide?

The barrel is 1 degree off parallel from the slide when locked up. So when the barrel unlocks and cams downward the barrel has free play in the slide (because itís now parallel) so it has very little friction at that point and very little if any loss of fit happens so slowly that the barrel bore will wear out first anyhow. Especially more so in a bull barrel than a bushing barrel because the long length of the slide and barrel needing to be relieved to prevent barrel spring in lock up.

Look closely at the barrel muzzle compared to the slide. See the small gap at the top between the barrel and slide. See how the crown is flush to the slide at the top but sits back slightly at the bottom? Thatís because of the 1 degree difference were the back of the barrel sits higher in the slide than the front. Itís in a bind for back of better terms. Thatís how the barrel locks up in the bushing or in this case slide with a bull barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 06-12-2021 at 7:19 AM..
Old 06-12-2021, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Unless you're Mosinvirus - I'm convinced that dude could build an airplane with a file.
If you want to know a secret, Igor comes over to my shop when he needs stuff milled or turned...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
When the slide and barrel go into lockup there will be some wear on the muzzle end of the barrel.
NO.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
NO.

I should have just answered this way hahaha. Usually early mornings before coffee I try to explain things I know but always know hot to explain and when I read them later they donít always make sense to me.

Old 06-12-2021, 1:13 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you want to know a secret, Igor comes over to my shop when he needs stuff milled or turned...
I'm sure he does because the man only owns files. Magical files....

Old 06-13-2021, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifaldiPrecision View Post
So based on your theory wouldn’t it be easier to just fit a new barrel then replace the entire slide?

The barrel is 1 degree off parallel from the slide when locked up. So when the barrel unlocks and cams downward the barrel has free play in the slide (because it’s now parallel) so it has very little friction at that point and very little if any loss of fit happens so slowly that the barrel bore will wear out first anyhow. Especially more so in a bull barrel than a bushing barrel because the long length of the slide and barrel needing to be relieved to prevent barrel spring in lock up.

Look closely at the barrel muzzle compared to the slide. See the small gap at the top between the barrel and slide. See how the crown is flush to the slide at the top but sits back slightly at the bottom? That’s because of the 1 degree difference were the back of the barrel sits higher in the slide than the front. It’s in a bind for back of better terms. That’s how the barrel locks up in the bushing or in this case slide with a bull barrel.

Quote:
NO.
Quote:
I should have just answered this way hahaha. Usually early mornings before coffee I try to explain things I know but always know hot to explain and when I read them later they don’t always make sense to me.

Pleasant well-intentioned reminder... I am not a gunsmith.

My experience is that wear surfaces will wear and eventually will be beyond tolerance. At that point they will need replaced. Using hard parts as the wear surface defeats the point of bushings and bearings which are designed to be replaced when they wear.

All that other experience I have telling me these things is why I'm asking the questions I'm asking. Because I'm not a gunsmith.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.

Last edited by rplaw; 06-13-2021 at 10:49 AM..
Old 06-13-2021, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm sure he does because the man only owns files. Magical files....
He also has sandpaper and a flat plate to sand things flat.

Old 06-13-2021, 9:44 PM

i did the 38 super to 9mm on a RIA i found for 379 serval years ago at my LGS when prices were normal and RIA can be had for about 399-499. here is my story and you take it for what its worth.

gun 379 +tax dros
slide, barrel, bushing, ejector from hooper gun works on ebay all RIA parts about 250
other misc parts..
ed brown msh and internal
wilson trigger, sear, disconnector, hammer lets say 250

and bam i got a full size 1911 9mm. after the first couple hundred rds and a couple FTE and FTF. a little polish here and there a little tuning of the extractor and about 4 differant recoils springs and 1000rds later she still goes pew every time i pull the trigger no hiccups since the first 300~ rds.

Last edited by lamduh; 06-13-2021 at 9:52 PM..
Old 06-13-2021, 10:03 PM

there is a loop hole to this, i have done this on 2 of my pistols.

Quote:
Ahh. Yep. Have to be registered in the caliber itís being carried. Only way to do that is purchase it and dros it in that caliber.

Old 06-18-2021, 7:51 AM

The 9mm is getting released today. Not even going to test fire it before bringing it home.

Springfield will be getting a call from me next week.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:15 AM

This is an interesting thread from an academic standpoint. IF however the OP intends to carry the gun for emergency situations, I would never use a highly customized one of pistol. The 1911 when modified is not 100% reliable. It just isn't. A rattle trap issue pistol is pretty reliable. This gun will not that gun. I'd get a modern gun, say a Glock, that is known to be near too 100% reliable. Or, my preference, a S&W revolver. Messing with a malfunction during a gunfight is not a good thing.
Old 06-18-2021, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scota4570 View Post
This is an interesting thread from an academic standpoint. IF however the OP intends to carry the gun for emergency situations, I would never use a highly customized one of pistol. The 1911 when modified is not 100% reliable. It just isn't. A rattle trap issue pistol is pretty reliable. This gun will not that gun. I'd get a modern gun, say a Glock, that is known to be near too 100% reliable. Or, my preference, a S&W revolver. Messing with a malfunction during a gunfight is not a good thing.
The gun (which is FINALLY in my hot & grubbies *WOOT!*) will be worked on by Springfield (if I can get them to do it) using factory parts.

It will not be "modified", it will be "customized." And, if Springfield can't work on their own products without creating "an unreliable gun" then we all gots serious problems.

BTW, I can't stand "modern" plastic guns. I've shot them extensively on multiple occasions and detest them from just about every possible standpoint. Especially in the areas of ergonomics and safety. YMMV.

*edit here*

Yes, that's the way they stored it in the safe - mag in the well, hammer cocked, safety off. When I saw it, I was like; "Seriously"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Springfield9 comes home.jpg (42.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by rplaw; 06-18-2021 at 1:53 PM..
Old 06-18-2021, 1:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Slide swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scota4570 View Post

Everything about this post is 100% inaccurate. Internet myth continually pushed around by non gunsmith, non machinists and people with little understanding of the 1911 mechanically.

Every 1911 I own I have either built or has been built by a reputable 1911 smith as a so called ďcustomĒ or ďmodifiedĒ gun. They have all been put through multiple single day or multi day high round count classes and or days of competition and they never hiccup. In fact the running joke is always when a modern gun has a couple issues and mine donít.

Iíve had customers take guns from my ship straight to gunsight for multi day classes and never have an issue. As reliable as any modern firearm when built right. It is not about tight or lose itís about proper specs simple as that.

Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 06-18-2021 at 2:00 PM..
Old 06-18-2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Everything about this post is 100% inaccurate. Internet myth continually pushed around by non gunsmith, non machinists and people with little understanding of the 1911 mechanically.

Every 1911 I own I have either built or has been built by a reputable 1911 smith as a so called ďcustomĒ or ďmodifiedĒ gun. They have all been put through multiple single day or multi day high round count classes and or days of competition and they never hiccup. In fact the running joke is always when a modern gun has a couple issues and mine donít.

Iíve had customers take guns from my ship straight to gunsight for multi day classes and never have an issue. As reliable as any modern firearm when built right. It is not about tight or lose itís about proper specs simple as that.

Now now, let them believe that their tupperware is "superior" to a 1911 if they want to. No one minds when they finish in second place.